PDA

View Full Version : Freezer burn

Phihalo
12-01-2014, 11:41 AM
How do you guys pack your meat into the freezer? I usually buy the meats in bulk from Costco and divide them up with plastic wrap and double plastic bag, but that doesn't eliminate freezer burn.

Do you guys recommend using a vacuum selaer? If so, which one do you prefer?

blairtruck
12-01-2014, 11:49 AM
i just use the freezer ziploks and also buy meat/chicken at costco and split it up.

ExtraSlow
12-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Yep, just one of the ziploc freezer bags. Pretty important to remove as much air as possible. How long are you keeping things in your freezer, and what temperature is your freezer at?

firebane
12-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Ziploc bags are really only so good. If you really want to help prevent freezer burnt food get a vacuum sealer.

CompletelyNumb
12-01-2014, 12:08 PM
I got the food saver vac sealer from costco. Works great. Ziplocks only go so far. If you're like me and buying a few months worth of meat at a time, vacuum sealing is the only way to go.

Phihalo
12-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
I got the food saver vac sealer from costco. Works great. Ziplocks only go so far. If you're like me and buying a few months worth of meat at a time, vacuum sealing is the only way to go.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, we do our meat runs every 2months or so as we can't consume a lot of it (only 2 adult and a baby). I've read mixed reviews on the costco foodsaver vacuum sealer, did you have any problem with it?

firebane
12-01-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Phihalo

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, we do our meat runs every 2months or so as we can't consume a lot of it (only 2 adult and a baby). I've read mixed reviews on the costco foodsaver vacuum sealer, did you have any problem with it?

We use the Foodsaver brand sealer and had no issues with it at all.

cancer man
12-03-2014, 06:23 AM
Food saver all the way, been using ours for 10 years now never a problem.
You can leave stuff in the freezer 6-12 months no problem.
Caution only use food saver bags.

e92csl87
12-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
Food saver all the way, been using ours for 10 years now never a problem.
You can leave stuff in the freezer 6-12 months no problem.
Caution only use food saver bags.

Agreed.

InRich
12-03-2014, 03:33 PM
I also have a food saver, its fantastic, mine also marinates food.

cancer man
12-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by InRich
I also have a food saver, its fantastic, mine also marinates food.

That's the best part, marinade steak,pork etc.
1 Hour in a vacumn sealed bag is = 1 day so good.

CompletelyNumb
12-07-2014, 08:43 AM
No issues with my food saver at all.

dirtsniffer
12-07-2014, 09:24 AM
I use ziploc freezer bags and I suck all the air out with a straw. Works great. I have had chicken in my freezer for two months now without a lick of burn.

hampstor
12-17-2014, 08:58 AM
We've been using the food saver for about... 5 or 6 years now. I can't remember the last time we had freezer burn on something that we used the food saver on.

FixedGear
12-17-2014, 09:14 AM
I've been using the Foodsaver for several years as we'll and it works great.

I also use it to freeze and store single meals that you can reheat by just dropping the frozen bag in boiling water - beats processed or take out food any day.