PDA

View Full Version : Wheel locks - good for noise maybe

Supa Dexta
12-02-2014, 05:27 AM
So I picked up a new winter beater, that had wheel locks on the front 2 wheels, this style

http://www.belletire.com/images/default-album/mcgardlockset.jpg?sfvrsn=0

When I looked in the trunk next to the jack, I saw the original lock package straight from acura, with the old lugs in the package and thought perfect there's the key - nope, no key,

So a quick look on youtube suggests just to hammer on a socket over top of the locking nut, and turn it off with a breaker bar. Sure enough a 13/16" took them off in less then 20 seconds a piece. The only deterrent over standard lugnuts would the the hammering sound needed to get the socket on.

It literally takes just as much time to punch the nut back out of the socket as it did to take it off the car (I'm sure a thief would have multiple sockets). Many already know this, but for those that don't - don't put much trust in these things.

And the new rig:

http://s9.postimg.org/wufzo7n6n/20_2.jpg

1900 bux of smooth running beater. :burnout:

Sugarphreak
12-02-2014, 07:39 AM

killramos
12-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
So I picked up a new winter beater, that had wheel locks on the front 2 wheels, this style

http://www.belletire.com/images/default-album/mcgardlockset.jpg?sfvrsn=0

When I looked in the trunk next to the jack, I saw the original lock package straight from acura, with the old lugs in the package and thought perfect there's the key - nope, no key,

So a quick look on youtube suggests just to hammer on a socket over top of the locking nut, and turn it off with a breaker bar. Sure enough a 13/16" took them off in less then 20 seconds a piece. The only deterrent over standard lugnuts would the the hammering sound needed to get the socket on.

It literally takes just as much time to punch the nut back out of the socket as it did to take it off the car (I'm sure a thief would have multiple sockets). Many already know this, but for those that don't - don't put much trust in these things.

And the new rig:

http://s9.postimg.org/wufzo7n6n/20_2.jpg

1900 bux of smooth running beater. :burnout:

I always saw it as more of a mild deterrent, would make an opportunistic criminal maybe move on to something easier. :dunno:

Honestly everything is just a mild deterrent. For example if you lock your front door does that really stop anyone from getting inside your house and stealing your big screen? No, its just a mild deterrent.

You make things as irritating as possible for a possible criminal to either increase his risk or make things take longer to attempt to make them think your stuff isn't worth his time.

All of my cars have wheel locks on them, they aren't even a mild hassle to me since i have the key. They don't even cost that much.

Not much is stopping someone from flat bedding your car away to chop it down for all its parts in the back of a warehouse somewhere...

Nice ride though.

Sugarphreak
12-02-2014, 07:50 AM

Pacman
12-02-2014, 09:12 AM
That looks like a great pickup for $1,900. Looks to be in great shape as well.

G-ZUS
12-02-2014, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Pacman
That looks like a great pickup for $1,900. Looks to be in great shape as well.

+1...Hope the tranny was done on it :poosie:

syscal
12-02-2014, 09:34 AM
I ended up getting wheel locks because a full set of 32 McGard lugs with locks and valve stems was about half the price of just ordering the lugs.

I think that the noise made by hammering a socket over the lock would be a deterrent in a lot of cases, especially at night. I assume you'd need 4 sockets as well to keep from having to hammer out the lug you just removed. Sounds like a pain in the ass, move on to the next one.

EDIT :: so yea, basically repeating OP now that I read their post again

Supa Dexta
12-02-2014, 09:55 AM
Right place at the right time kind of deal, Old guy owned it since new and then died, his son in law had it and had to move on short notice so I scooped the car up for a song. 2003 and only 180k on it. Tranny seems fine, but I can change it if something does happen down the road.

Cruise was broken, like all these cars it had a broken clip on TB - fixed it already.

Washer fluid level sensor is bad, I'll keep my eye out for a new one, but for now unplugging the harness got rid of the light on the dash.

Changed the oil, plugs and filters this morning.

Had some water in the spare tire compartment - leaky tail lights half common as well, fixed that already too.

Smooth running car so far, good shape inside and out.

ExtraSlow
12-02-2014, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't ever pay mon ey for wheel locks, but they came from the factory on my Odyssey, and they aren't that much of a hassle.

Also, excellent pickup for $1900, very clean looking, and and even if it's got an uncertain history or high mileage, I think you got a decent deal.

sneek
12-02-2014, 10:12 AM
One of my coworkers just bought a used car and the previous owner didn't include the wheel key. As luck would have it she got a flat on Sunday when it was horrifically cold outside. I bought those emergency lug removers from AutoValue and Princess Auto but oddly enough the 13/16ths one from AutoValue was too big and the 13/16th from Princess Auto was too small to fit over the wheel.

:thumbsup: Lucky for her, the fine folks at UrbanX were able to get her sorted out!

:rofl: sorry to all the people who were stuck behind her on 17th Ave SW.

jacky4566
12-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Bolt Extractor would get off lock nuts without a problem. No hammering.
http://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bolt-extractors/bolt-extractors

I agree with killramos. Its all Mild deterrents. Also it appearers to me that most rim thief target dealers and high end vehicles. Nobody wants your old Acura rims. Go for Broke:!
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/jHhZhUe_3cdz8mJ2lsgfgw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/motoramic/serialtheft.jpg

blairtruck
12-02-2014, 11:56 AM
wheel locks are only slowing myself from doing rim changes. nothing else. is someone wants your rims. they will take them.

theken
12-02-2014, 12:26 PM
You can also use a nut splitter and the wheel lock breaks in about 10 seconds no noise

spike98
12-02-2014, 01:18 PM
I can't find the youtube video anymore but i seen a pair of guys demonstrate how easy (as in sub 120 seconds) it was to take a full set of 4 rims. They used sockets, breaker bar, hammer, 4x4's, and a stem removal tool.

After watching it, i said fuck it. OEM rims for me from now on.

The funny thing about it is that OEM rims can and often are MORE expensive than aftermarket but them thieves want that bling...

ercchry
12-02-2014, 01:23 PM
best deterrent is to make your car look like a gangster owns it :rofl:

or... air ride... hard to steal wheels if you cant get a jack under it

blitz
12-02-2014, 01:31 PM
If you replace all the bolts with locks, that will deter them.

spike98
12-02-2014, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
best deterrent is to make your car look like a gangster owns it :rofl:

or... air ride... hard to steal wheels if you cant get a jack under it

Air ride wont do shit against plywood and pulling the stems. In fact, if you lay frame, it will make it EASIER.

killramos
12-02-2014, 02:41 PM
There is alot of negative opinions here but i still maintain that a mild deterrent is better than nothing. Especially when it is the mildest of inconveniences and costs.

Two C63's sit next to each other with beautiful BBS rims. One has locks the other does not. They both sit at the end of a parking lot every day 5 days a week for 3 months. Someone decides to rip off the rims after noticing this pattern.

Question, whos rims are more likely to be gone?

:dunno:

I encourage as many people to not lock their rims as possible. Decreases the odds mine are stolen however slightly.

Me i am a very paranoid person, especially about my car. Whatever helps me sleep an extra minute a night is money well spent. If you disagree that's cool to :D .

jsn
12-02-2014, 05:43 PM
^^ I agree. Yes it's easy to take off but if it doesn't cost you extra cash to get a locking set, I figure why not. It won't stop a theif who is really set on stealing your wheels, but if it's even a minor deterent, I figure it doesn't hurt. Mine come with locking wheel locks from the factory so it doesn't hurt to keep them on.