PDA

View Full Version : Locked in Mutual Fund RSP to Stock?

weezy00
12-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know if you are able to transfer/move funds from a locked in mutual fund RSP into a stock based locked in RSP account?

s2k_boi
12-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Yes. Go open an online locked in brokerage account or go see a broker and have the funds transferred to the new account.

ExtraSlow
12-02-2014, 11:44 AM
If you still work for the company, you generally can't move them out of the plan, so you'd be stuck with whatever the options are inside that plan.

I changed jobs recently, and I got my stuff moved from my locked-in DCPP with sun-life to a locked-in RRSP at RBC. I didn't inquire about purchasing individual equities, but I suspect it's possible.
It's not as simple as transferring money from one RRSP account to another, as they do remain locked-in.

weezy00
12-02-2014, 12:09 PM
I managed to remove mine from the institution it was with into my own TD Mutual fund account, so I am covered there.

Thanks S2k I will do that.

zooter
12-02-2014, 06:06 PM
How much $$ is in the account? If it is below a certain amount you can have the funds un-locked. The amount changes year-to-year, so you would have to check.

weezy00
12-03-2014, 12:49 PM
I think it is above that amount, and you need to have specific reasons to un-lock it, it isn't easy. I am fine keeping it locked in as long as I can self direct trade it.