PDA

View Full Version : Android 4.4.4 question

Tik-Tok
12-04-2014, 01:47 PM
I just got a new phone with 4.4.4, my last phone was only updated up to 4.2, so quite a few things have changed and it feels like I'm learning a completely new o/s

One problem that's bugging me though, is that if someone texts me first, and I reply, our text conversations are now completely separated from each other in two different "threads", one with their texts, and one with my sent texts

However if I send the initial text to someone, then any conversation from then on out, is in the same "thread".

I can't seem to find anyone else with this problem searching google, and can't find any settings for this. Is this an Android 4.4.4 thing, a Sony skin issue (it's a xperia 3ZC), or could it be a problem with Telus?

slick2404
12-04-2014, 02:27 PM
I've never seen separate threads for texts, mine have always been together. Are you using the stock messaging app?

Mitsu3000gt
12-04-2014, 02:30 PM
Never had this happen across multiple devices with any one of several different texting programs (stock and not stock) :dunno:. Seems rather strange indeed.

Xtrema
12-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Are you using Hangout? Or default message app or something else from manufacturer?

mr2mike
12-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Test it on "hello" app. See if it's the same thing. Otherwise, I've had this issue with Hangouts but the opposite way. I could never tell if my text was sms or internet. I quit using hangouts for texting because of this.

I have a custom rom but are there any setting in the actual messaging app? Try bottom right corner inside the app.

Tik-Tok
12-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
I've never seen separate threads for texts, mine have always been together. Are you using the stock messaging app?

Originally posted by Xtrema
Are you using Hangout? Or default message app or something else from manufacturer?

Stock messaging app that came with the phone, I don't know if it's Android, or from Sony's skin. I have SMS disabled in the Hangouts App.

Xtrema
12-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Test it on "hello" app. See if it's the same thing. Otherwise, I've had this issue with Hangouts but the opposite way. I could never tell if my text was sms or internet. I quit using hangouts for texting because of this.

I have a custom rom but are there any setting in the actual messaging app? Try bottom right corner inside the app.

Hang out used to have this problem but not any more. But you have to be careful about replies because SMS is much quicker than Internet as messaging goes.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Stock messaging app that came with the phone, I don't know if it's Android, or from Sony's skin. I have SMS disabled in the Hangouts App.

Yeah, that's an Sony app. Can't help you there. Switch to Hangout or other SMS app to see if you like them better.

firebane
12-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Hangouts SMS or GoSMS is what I would prefer.

adamc
12-04-2014, 05:59 PM
TEXTRA

Tik-Tok
12-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Switched to hangouts... seems excessive for my simple texting needs. I think I might try go sms. Textra looks pretty easy too.

Dumbass17
12-06-2014, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by adamc
TEXTRA
I had Gosms but it went to crap. They completely took away the customization options and are getting horrible reviews.

I used Textra and loved it but for some reason all the pictures I send are now going in multiples, like 5 times and it frustrates the recipient. I now use hangouts and it's been good. Just wish I could hide the message notification to only say 'new message' and not show a preview of the texts...

firebane
12-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

I had Gosms but it went to crap. They completely took away the customization options and are getting horrible reviews.

I used Textra and loved it but for some reason all the pictures I send are now going in multiples, like 5 times and it frustrates the recipient. I now use hangouts and it's been good. Just wish I could hide the message notification to only say 'new message' and not show a preview of the texts...

Textra lacks customization that I like so I just run an old version of GoSMS..

http://go-sms-pro.en.uptodown.com/android/download/65081

eblend
12-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Switched to hangouts... seems excessive for my simple texting needs. I think I might try go sms. Textra looks pretty easy too.

What's so excessive about hangouts?

I use hangouts exclusively, as hangouts itself with my android friends (90% of people) and just sms with others, all in the same interface, don't see why anyone wouldn't.

eblend
12-06-2014, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Otherwise, I've had this issue with Hangouts but the opposite way. I could never tell if my text was sms or internet. I quit using hangouts for texting because of this.
[/B]

Right next to where you type the message, it either says SMS or shows a hangouts image, and always sticks to what you used last for that user, so its very easy to tell apart?

eblend
12-06-2014, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

But you have to be careful about replies because SMS is much quicker than Internet as messaging goes.

I don't know what you mean that sms is much faster. Hangouts is instant for me? And the best of all, with Hangouts you can see when the message has been read, vs SMS where you send it...and never know unless you get a response.

I also use the hangouts plugin in Chrome, so I just chat with friends on my computer at work and at home without touching my phone, and if I go out and start using my phone my conversation history is all there regardless where I communicate.

adamc
12-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by firebane

Textra lacks customization that I like so I just run an old version of GoSMS..

http://go-sms-pro.en.uptodown.com/android/download/65081

What customization do you require?
Mine is minimal and tiny and fast, that's about all I'm looking for out of an sms app.

firebane
12-07-2014, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by adamc

What customization do you require?
Mine is minimal and tiny and fast, that's about all I'm looking for out of an sms app.

I like being able to customize EVERYTHING. And Textra only allow colors that THEY choose not what I would like. If I could choose my own colors off of a RGB palette then I may look at it more.

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

What are you not able to customize in GoSMS? You can customize the ring tone, wake screen, avatar, notification icon, background, etc. They did do a pretty big overhaul recently but I can't think of anything I used to be able to customize but can't anymore.