PDA

View Full Version : Garage kept...

16hypen3sp
12-04-2014, 03:34 PM
Found this at a local dealer... not a huge deal but I never see corvettes just sitting in a snow bank. Pretty harsh. I doubt they had any room in the show room for it but still...

You guys see stuff like this around Calgary often?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj186/manandmachinex411/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf47e1162.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/manandmachinex411/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf47e1162.jpg.html)

mr2mike
12-04-2014, 03:40 PM
Calgary... Canada's version of Dubai
http://badassdigest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/dubaicar2.jpg

killramos
12-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Found this at a local dealer... not a huge deal but I never see corvettes just sitting in a snow bank. Pretty harsh. I doubt they had any room in the show room for it but still...

You guys see stuff like this around Calgary often?

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj186/manandmachinex411/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf47e1162.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/manandmachinex411/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsf47e1162.jpg.html)

Pretty normal for a dealer...

Calgary BMW's M4 Demo is sitting in a pile of snow on Super Sport tires behind the shop :dunno:

Unless its a customers for imminent delivery / recent service they sit outside.

The BMW dealer has a huge lot between burnco and the river with nothing but the plastic on the hoods protecting them.

Just one example I am familiar with.

My convertible is sitting outside covered in snow on summer tires right now :dunno: Not that its worth anything...

Edit:

Where your BMW sits when its waiting in inventory... When i was there a few weeks back there was a couple dozen M's there (3,4,5,6's...) Not just for cheap/volume cars.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@50.9937803,-114.0303313,234m/data=!3m1!1e3

Redlyne_mr2
12-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Yup stored in a garage it's entire life other than in the beginning.

killramos
12-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Yup stored in a garage it's entire life other than in the beginning.

Ryan if you were to do a custom order from factory how long would it spend on average sitting in an outdoor lot between Pre boat, Pre Rail, Pre delivery?

Curious to know. I bet its alot...

benyl
12-04-2014, 04:29 PM
My E63 was custom order.

It probably sat outside when built in Stuttgart. Then waited a week to get on the boat in Bremmerhaven. It was snowing / raining (you can watch the webcam they have there to see when they are loading cars).

Spent a week outside in Halifax.

Then 3 days in the Calgary railyard. Looked like this when delivered to Lonestar in their parking structure.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/5538D5D0-2F64-4893-B6F0-E6B77E826D00_zps0msbonce.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/bwinkelm/media/5538D5D0-2F64-4893-B6F0-E6B77E826D00_zps0msbonce.jpg.html)

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd364/bwinkelm/EC596E1C-978A-434D-BBD1-1A797CA0AA98_zpszjzgunzv.jpg (http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/bwinkelm/media/EC596E1C-978A-434D-BBD1-1A797CA0AA98_zpszjzgunzv.jpg.html)

Any mass-produced car is going to sit outside.

Masked Bandit
12-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Sitting outside in the snow isn't going to hurt it. It would be different if it were being driven on the SALTED roads. Fresh snow by itself is harmless.

Tik-Tok
12-04-2014, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Sitting outside in the snow isn't going to hurt it. It would be different if it were being driven on the SALTED roads. Fresh snow by itself is harmless.

:werd:

It's fresh fallen snow, not acid rain.

I'd be more concerned about a car being driven on the salty roads, then stored in a heated garage without a thorough spray down first.

Graham_A_M
12-04-2014, 06:42 PM
^ word. Asides from the cold start in the beginning, what's the big deal?
Convertibles are a different story as the constant freezing and thawing can destroy the fabric on most roofs, but on a hard top car, who really cares?

16hypen3sp
12-04-2014, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Convertibles are a different story as the constant freezing and thawing can destroy the fabric on most roofs, but on a hard top car, who really cares?

Reminds me of my brothers convertible. Roof was so fucked that the window wouldn't even come close to sealing. There was a big snow drift inside his car after a storm last winter.

M.alex
12-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

My 04 'vert has sat outside its entire life, even when -40, and its fabric roof is fine. Seals fine, no leaks, only damage is when somebody stabbed it with a knife (in McKenzie ... go figure :rolleyes: )

Graham_A_M
12-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Like I say, some roofs can take it fine, others sure can't, such as canvas roofs.

CapnCrunch
12-05-2014, 09:20 AM
That's absolute bullshit. Every car I've ever bought, I demand it be custom built and painted in my garage.

ExtraSlow
12-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
That's absolute bullshit. Every car I've ever bought, I demand it be custom built and painted in my garage. Exactly. I don't spend my hard earned money on a car that's going to be exposed to outdoor conditions.

SkiBum5.0
12-05-2014, 11:14 AM
The only concern on that vette (it's either a z06 or Grand Sport) would be the tires - if they are exposed to too low a temperature they may crack or deform.
Shaganappi had to replace the tires on two ZL1 camaros after snow thawed, formed puddles around the tires, then re-froze and cracked the tires.

Dumbass17
12-05-2014, 11:22 AM
it's snow, not acid :dunno:

mikestypes
12-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
The only concern on that vette (it's either a z06 or Grand Sport) would be the tires - if they are exposed to too low a temperature they may crack or deform.
Shaganappi had to replace the tires on two ZL1 camaros after snow thawed, formed puddles around the tires, then re-froze and cracked the tires.

When I ordered my ZL1, there were 6 on the lot in frozen puddles. I tried to explain why that was an issue, but they did not care. Luckily, I had to do a factory order because I did not want a sunroof.

Freezing the rubber compounds in summer tires permanently wrecks them and they turn into hockey pucks.

ExtraSlow
12-05-2014, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by mikestypes
Freezing the rubber compounds in summer tires permanently wrecks them and they turn into hockey pucks.
Do you have anything to back that up? I've never heard anyone suggest that those rubber compounds would undergo a chemical change at low temperatures.

Being physically damaged by the action of expanding ice against them is a different thing entirely.

killramos
12-05-2014, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Do you have anything to back that up? I've never heard anyone suggest that those rubber compounds would undergo a chemical change at low temperatures.

Being physically damaged by the action of expanding ice against them is a different thing entirely.

Actually I have heard the same thing, particularly with my summer super sports.

I'm not sure if its a chemical change but i heard that some of the compounds crystallize within the rubber which changes characteristics drastically by making micro tears.

Sugarphreak
12-05-2014, 11:59 AM

ExtraSlow
12-05-2014, 12:07 PM
Huh, I didn't know that. Still would be interested in reading any actual references about that.

rage2
12-05-2014, 12:11 PM
I got lucky. April delivery, just dirty as fuck. No snow on my custom order even though it sat in the rail yard for a week in cold temps.

http://www.beyond.ca/wp-content/uploads/c63-black-series-preview-1.jpg

Then I proceeded to drive it in the snow myself after delivery haha.

http://virgeweb.com/rage2/c63bs/39.jpg

Those R compound tires only lasted 2000km anyways. I doubt it was the exposure to snow. :burnout:

SkiBum5.0
12-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
it's snow, not acid :dunno:

You're username has never been more true.

From TireRack.com
Like the motorsports tires they have evolved from, all Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires feature constructions and compounds that have been tuned to maximize traction and performance within a range of warm-to-hot ambient temperatures. Therefore, unlike less highly tuned tires, these types of tires must only be operated in and stored at temperatures consistent with their thoroughbred characteristics.

In addition to normal tire storage recommendations, Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires require supplementary storage procedures be followed to prevent tire compound cracking due to exposure to cold temperatures.

While these recommendations are general guidelines offered by Tire Rack, selected tire manufacturers may have additional specific recommendations applicable to their tires. Follow the tire manufacturer’s recommendations whenever available.

It is not recommended to drive on these types of tires at temperatures below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

It is recommended these types of tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) when not in use.

Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

In order to allow gradual, uniform and thorough increase in tire temperature, these types of tires should be protected from direct sources of intense heat as they warm up. Do not apply localized heat, blow heated air directly on them, nor place them near a heat source.

Always inspect tires before use after storage periods.

While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced

Mitsu3000gt
12-05-2014, 12:19 PM
Other than what is obviously beyond my control (eg. transport from manufacturer to dealer & dealer storage), I won't buy a used car that has spent it's entire life outside parked on a street getting sprayed with salt water/rocks from passing cars, ice forming/expanding, scraped off, cold started from a deep freeze dozens of times every winter, and enduring Calgary's extreme 20-30 degree temperature changes that can happen daily. Most people don't maintain their cars nearly well enough to be completely unaffected by all of that. Everyone I know with a remote starter to combat such conditions lets their car warm up, and then drives it without a care right away just because the engine is warm, not realizing that other components need time to warm up too. It's just one of those things where if you have the choice to buy a car that has sat outside all it's life, or one that hasn't, I'd take the one that hasn't every time. Generally speaking, I believe cars have a much harder life when they live outside unless the owner is incredibly meticulous.

Used car dealers lining their cars RIGHT up along roads like McLeod trail are arguably the worst. They get sprayed with rocks and salt all day long, and then cold started and abused when test drivers roll in.

Dumbass17
12-05-2014, 12:22 PM

You're username has never been more true.

From TireRack.com
Like the motorsports tires they have evolved from, all Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires feature constructions and compounds that have been tuned to maximize traction and performance within a range of warm-to-hot ambient temperatures. Therefore, unlike less highly tuned tires, these types of tires must only be operated in and stored at temperatures consistent with their thoroughbred characteristics.

In addition to normal tire storage recommendations, Extreme Performance Summer performance category tires require supplementary storage procedures be followed to prevent tire compound cracking due to exposure to cold temperatures.

While these recommendations are general guidelines offered by Tire Rack, selected tire manufacturers may have additional specific recommendations applicable to their tires. Follow the tire manufacturer’s recommendations whenever available.

It is not recommended to drive on these types of tires at temperatures below 40 degrees F (5 degrees C).

It is recommended these types of tires be stored indoors at temperatures maintained at above 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) when not in use.

Tires accidentally exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

In order to allow gradual, uniform and thorough increase in tire temperature, these types of tires should be protected from direct sources of intense heat as they warm up. Do not apply localized heat, blow heated air directly on them, nor place them near a heat source.

Always inspect tires before use after storage periods.

While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced

so copy and pasting makes you an expert and me a dumbass?

oh ok, good to know for the future:nut:

SkiBum5.0
12-05-2014, 12:25 PM
^ I'd say 1.5 years working for Michelin/Bridgestone makes me considerably less of a dumbass than you

Sugarphreak
12-05-2014, 12:28 PM

Dumbass17
12-05-2014, 12:58 PM
^ I'd say 1.5 years working for Michelin/Bridgestone makes me considerably less of a dumbass than you

yeah you're right. that sounds like a pretty high profile position. two cream, one sugar please

16hypen3sp
12-05-2014, 01:29 PM
I have seen the damage done to summer tires after they spend the winter out in the elements. They were cracked beyond belief.

I wish I took a pic of it.

SkiBum5.0
12-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Although a red herring, my coffee is second to none. I'll get you one next time I drive by you waiting for the bus because your tires are cracked

SKR
12-05-2014, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by mikestypes

When I ordered my ZL1, there were 6 on the lot in frozen puddles. I tried to explain why that was an issue, but they did not care. Luckily, I had to do a factory order because I did not want a sunroof.

All the Goodyear bulletin says is not to move it when it's any colder than -7, and that you should store them indoors in temperatures warmer than -7. If they are left colder than that, you should warm them up for 24 hours to at least +5. It doesn't say anything about reduced performance once they freeze.

Not saying what you said isn't right, just saying if it is a problem it's funny Goodyear doesn't say anything about it.

I've had 2 of the 4 stock tires replaced so far, and have a 3rd to replace but couldn't get the tire in before it got cold and will have to replace it in the spring.

zipdoa
12-11-2014, 11:29 AM

Lol, I think Dumbass was talking about it being 'snow, not acid' in terms of damage to the car. Not talking about winter tire effectiveness or not.

just lol.

rage2
12-11-2014, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Lol, I think Dumbass was talking about it being 'snow, not acid' in terms of damage to the car. Not talking about winter tire effectiveness or not.

just lol.
I think you need to re-read the thread. :rofl:

zipdoa
12-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I think you need to re-read the thread. :rofl:

God damnit.