PDA

View Full Version : Dumbest RHD imports

clem24
12-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Just an idea based on the ban RHD thread. What's the dumbest RHD import you've seen and why?

BY FAR the dumbest RHD I've seen is now not 1 but 2 Gen 1 Honda CR-V's. WHY WHY WHY?? AFAIK NADM CR-V's are pretty much identical to their JDM counterparts and they are practically a dime a dozen here.

88CRX
12-04-2014, 05:44 PM
No rust, lower KM's and cheaper?

:dunno:

Sentry
12-04-2014, 06:04 PM
Automatic non-turbo skyline sedans. :rofl:

Just buy a fucking Maxima, it'll do everything the Skyline will but better.

sneek
12-04-2014, 06:05 PM
http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/toyota/cavalier/2000/toyota_cavalier_2847126_orig.jpg

/Thread. Toyota Cavalier. You can have a decent Cavi for 1-2K, but it would probably be the worst RHD import you could get.

Sorath
12-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Alto works

/thread

Type_S1
12-04-2014, 06:14 PM
All of them. I hate RHD vehicles with a passion. I immediately think "poor trying to act baller" like someone wearing a fake tshirt of something. Just buy the equivalent car over here.

Mista Bob
12-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Anything that can be bought here already, sometimes under a different name.
Even if it has an engine that cant be bought here, you would be better off just buying a front clip/engine rather than some car with the steering wheel on the wrong side and in shit enough condition that no one in Japan wanted to buy it.

Basically just throwing away cash so you can be all "look at me I'm sitting on the wrong side".

Graham_A_M
12-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1
All of them. I hate RHD vehicles with a passion. I immediately think "poor trying to act baller" like someone wearing a fake tshirt of something. Just buy the equivalent car over here.
Yeah its just, finding a very rare car such as a mint, low KM Gen 4 TT Supra 6 speed isn't too often. When you do? Their stupid money.... same with 3rd Gen RX7 ' S and the like.... which really opened the doors to the whole jdm market in the first place.
Finding a grade A 98 supra of that spec, a left hand drive one with probably way more KM'S would cost what? 25 - 30k plus?

Although I agree on the CRV 's and the Cavaliers, those are fucking retarded:nut:

topsecret
12-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Type_S1

That doesn't apply for ALL the RHD vehicles, z32, supras, aristos, etc yes I agree...however please don't put us all in the same category ;)

loweg
12-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Lol

I got a target on my back or something? Bet you are also not fond of honda beats. haha

They are super fun in the snow, come by and I'll take you for a ride sometime.

Originally posted by Sorath
Alto works

/thread

know1edge
12-04-2014, 09:21 PM

slinkie
12-04-2014, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
Alto works

/thread

Lol these always come up for sale on beyond for ridiculous prices too

xnvy
12-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by loweg
They are super fun in the snow, come by and I'll take you for a ride sometime.

Can I get in on this action? :D

loweg
12-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
Can I get in on this action? :D

Only if you can get soraths comment deleted...

Just kidding

Ya man anytime.

soloracer
12-04-2014, 09:38 PM
I saw a RHD first generation Miata. I remember thinking "For the love of god, why? How cheap do you have to be to buy one of those to save money? What is a LHD one worth? $500?"

Aerobat
12-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Mista Bob
Anything that can be bought here already, sometimes under a different name.
Even if it has an engine that cant be bought here, you would be better off just buying a front clip/engine rather than some car with the steering wheel on the wrong side and in shit enough condition that no one in Japan wanted to buy it.

Basically just throwing away cash so you can be all "look at me I'm sitting on the wrong side".

Sure buy a rusted out local 240sx, buy a front clip, pay someone to do a swap, repair rust and paint it to look half decent instead of paying the 6 or 7 grand to buy a silvia with better options, GENIUS, if this works so well why isnt everyone doing it?

Since you obviously have no clue what actually happens in Japan ill fill you in. Every year every car over 5 years has to go in for a SHAKEN inspection where the whole vehicle is inspected and emission tested. The vehicle is not allowed back on the road until the car passes the inspection..On top of that the older the vehicle the higher tax you pay to keep it on the road therefore,older vehicle cost more to drive..eventually you get to the point where driving a 15 year old vehicle that maybe be in perfect condition isnt financially feasible to keep on the road..therefore send it to the auction and get rid of it..

Luckily we are able to buy from that selection and have the ability to purchase unique, well cared for, low mileage vehicles. How is this a bad thing? I have a RHD vehicle and id buy the LHD equivalent if it was available but I simply cant because it doesnt exist.. Im not interested in paying 50-60k for the something similar from a dealership so why should I?

Typical beyond though, I have nothing better to do with my life then sit around and bash peoples choice in vehicles..

Fly Fishin'
12-05-2014, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by soloracer
I saw a RHD first generation Miata. I remember thinking "For the love of god, why? How cheap do you have to be to buy one of those to save money? What is a LHD one worth? $500?"

so I looked on kijiji after reading this thinking 500 for a 92 miata is probably right..... $2000! WTF

Type_S1
12-05-2014, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Aerobat

Sure buy a rusted out local 240sx, buy a front clip, pay someone to do a swap, repair rust and paint it to look half decent instead of paying the 6 or 7 grand to buy a silvia with better options, GENIUS, if this works so well why isnt everyone doing it?

Since you obviously have no clue what actually happens in Japan ill fill you in. Every year every car over 5 years has to go in for a SHAKEN inspection where the whole vehicle is inspected and emission tested. The vehicle is not allowed back on the road until the car passes the inspection..On top of that the older the vehicle the higher tax you pay to keep it on the road therefore,older vehicle cost more to drive..eventually you get to the point where driving a 15 year old vehicle that maybe be in perfect condition isnt financially feasible to keep on the road..therefore send it to the auction and get rid of it..

Luckily we are able to buy from that selection and have the ability to purchase unique, well cared for, low mileage vehicles. How is this a bad thing? I have a RHD vehicle and id buy the LHD equivalent if it was available but I simply cant because it doesnt exist.. Im not interested in paying 50-60k for the something similar from a dealership so why should I?

Typical beyond though, I have nothing better to do with my life then sit around and bash peoples choice in vehicles..

When I see RHD I just think "budget baller". There's maybe 2 or 3 cars worth brining over from Japan the rest are just a joke. Go to the US and get a clean 240 if that's what you are worried about.

CapnCrunch
12-05-2014, 09:16 AM
I don't know, but I'd guess 99.99999% of them. Stupid poor kids.

blairtruck
12-05-2014, 09:20 AM
all rhd are dumb.

killramos
12-05-2014, 09:24 AM
RHD JDM BMW's are by far the stupidest :nut:

I am genuinely surprised by all the hate for rhd and/or jdm here. It seems to be a 100% polarized topic. Either they are the best cars in the world or they are rusted out shit buckets with a cutout in the ceiling to accommodate frosted tips...

I think they are pretty dumb but i thought i was more of a minority...

R154
12-05-2014, 09:26 AM
You can't buy a USDM/CDM R32 GTR. I guarantee you; the guy who takes pride in, and takes care of his GTR/pride and joy, will spend more and have a better cared for car then 99% of the CDM/USDM cars here.
Of course there are beat pieces of cheap crap that come across the pond. Then again, those same counter parts exist here. There are tons (literally) of rusty beat uncared for “teen” cars.
There are legit reasons for wanting to own a JDM car. Not all of us are poor, or do so to be "baller".

For you to demonize and put down an entire subset of cars is both aggravatingly shortsighted but also really indicative of your shallow personality. I don’t drive/own my JDM "piece of crap" because I need it to show off to people I dont care about. I could have bought an E92M3 with the cash I have into my GTR. I bought 80% of what I have today within a month in cash. It was a question of getting what I wanted, not what I can afford. Before you say “That’s stupid, should have bought a bmw” I don’t want a piece of shit bmw that can’t handle or deliver power the way I want it to be.

I enjoy and take pride in meticulously maintaining and fastidiously modifying my gtr. Every so often (once a season, maybe twice) I pull the engine, rebuild it and then swap on my single turbo T04R GReddy kit, or go back to my 2535R twins. I have 2 spare RB's that are in stages of being built for different applications. One is going to be a 2.825L 860HP engine ready for when the badlands track is. I have a 6spd dogbox on order. The other I am slowly building a full tomei 11K reving engine with all the little oiling issues fixed. I am having the #6 injector custom made to offer a little more flow so #6 doesnt run lean like they do on stock rb's. I have already had the head machined and the coolant issue fixed with custom mounts to bring the highest point back to the rad. I have fixed all the small issues like they did with the race GTR’s. I love this car to bits. More then an r34. Its my all time favorite car. One day I will buy an F355 and go through the same meticulous and loving process. It will likely be imported from another country too.

You see, GTR's are not some fad car for me. I am approaching 30 and I adore this car. I have for the last 8 years of my life. All my “hobby” time goes towards it. My gf may not like it, but it is my obsession, It is my love.

I have tools, a lift and a garage full of parts. You name it, I have it.
I also built a winter beater. Its awd has heated leather seats and a webasto circulating coolant heater from a diesel. It blows hot on command. Its comfy and reliable. Does it matter to me that its “worth” more then my beloved GTR (if it were stock and I was willing to let it go for that price range)?

My winter car is a CDM car. It was in much worse mechanical repair when I bought it then my GTR was. It had only 65xxx on it (winter car). It was a CPO vehicle (haha).

Just because some kids that own examples that are not pristine, doesn’t mean all of our cars suck.

R154
12-05-2014, 09:31 AM
My comments were directed towards type_s1. Not you Killramos. I <3 Killramos. :rofl:

loweg
12-05-2014, 09:32 AM
Alas the yearly debate has snuck up into the forum again.

killramos
12-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by R154
My comments were directed towards type_s1. Not you Killramos. I &lt;3 Killramos. :rofl:

Lol Awww...

You clearly started that post before i even posted so :thumbsup:

I could definitely see how that could come off badly towards me though lol :rofl:

Funny coincidence.

The one that i don't get is that these cars are in any way shape or form associated with being a baller. Even as a budget baller. :dunno:

rage2
12-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I enjoy and take pride in meticulously maintaining and fastidiously modifying my gtr. Every so often (once a season, maybe twice) I pull the engine, rebuild it and then swap on my single turbo T04R GReddy kit, or go back to my 2535R twins. I have 2 spare RB's that are in stages of being built for different applications. One is going to be a 2.825L 860HP engine ready for when the badlands track is. I have a 6spd dogbox on order. The other I am slowly building a full tomei 11K reving engine with all the little oiling issues fixed. I am having the #6 injector custom made to offer a little more flow so #6 doesnt run lean like they do on stock rb's. I have already had the head machined and the coolant issue fixed with custom mounts to bring the highest point back to the rad. I have fixed all the small issues like they did with the race GTR’s. I love this car to bits. More then an r34. Its my all time favorite car.
Derailing here, but jesus, do you have a build thread on this? I'd like to check this out.

clem24
12-05-2014, 10:01 AM
LOL the point of the thread was about landed cars you see on the street that makes no sense to import.. I am not a big fan of RHD but I can definitely see why people would want to import certain cars. I didn't start this thread to bash all RHD JDM's. What IS cool is seeing cars that I would have never thought I'd see on the street.

Another dumb import - all those 1st and 2nd gen HiLux surf's (AKA 4Runner) that run the turbo diesel. I've not seen a single one that is actually pristine. All are rusted to shit and spewing black fumes..

r3ccOs
12-05-2014, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by clem24
LOL the point of the thread was about landed cars you see on the street that makes no sense to import.. I am not a big fan of RHD but I can definitely see why people would want to import certain cars. I didn't start this thread to bash all RHD JDM's. What IS cool is seeing cars that I would have never thought I'd see on the street.

Another dumb import - all those 1st and 2nd gen HiLux surf's (AKA 4Runner) that run the turbo diesel. I've not seen a single one that is actually pristine. All are rusted to shit and spewing black fumes..

I always wanted a diesel landcruiser... always

but with what I've seen from imported 80 series... for the price, parts availablity and milage/condition... I stayed away

For me, no point to pay $20k for a 15 year old SUV, even with low k, that when breaks down, can take onwards of a month to source parts.

I just said eff it...new trucks have more capabilities, power and safety features.

R154
12-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Rage, I am in the process of writing things up and documenting. I will publish it over christmas. Stay tuned!!

R154
12-05-2014, 03:10 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Re7CcLV.jpg

xnvy
12-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
I saw a RHD first generation Miata. I remember thinking &quot;For the love of god, why? How cheap do you have to be to buy one of those to save money? What is a LHD one worth? $500?&quot; I also thought it was dumb. Some people imported automatic ones :nut:

Japan does get more powerful and special edition Miata's that you can't get here. I'd try and import a 10AE for autocross seeing as they're hard to find here now. Really want an NB Coupe though :drool:

Fly Fishin'
12-05-2014, 06:15 PM
What's the profit % on importing cars? I see 98 legacy tt for almost 10 grand, cool car but way to rich for my blood.

89s1
12-05-2014, 07:42 PM
You can't buy a USDM/CDM R32 GTR. I guarantee you; the guy who takes pride in, and takes care of his GTR/pride and joy, will spend more and have a better cared for car then 99% of the CDM/USDM cars here.
Of course there are beat pieces of cheap crap that come across the pond. Then again, those same counter parts exist here. There are tons (literally) of rusty beat uncared for “teen” cars.
There are legit reasons for wanting to own a JDM car. Not all of us are poor, or do so to be &quot;baller&quot;.

For you to demonize and put down an entire subset of cars is both aggravatingly shortsighted but also really indicative of your shallow personality. I don’t drive/own my JDM &quot;piece of crap&quot; because I need it to show off to people I dont care about. I could have bought an E92M3 with the cash I have into my GTR. I bought 80% of what I have today within a month in cash. It was a question of getting what I wanted, not what I can afford. Before you say “That’s stupid, should have bought a bmw” I don’t want a piece of shit bmw that can’t handle or deliver power the way I want it to be.

I enjoy and take pride in meticulously maintaining and fastidiously modifying my gtr. Every so often (once a season, maybe twice) I pull the engine, rebuild it and then swap on my single turbo T04R GReddy kit, or go back to my 2535R twins. I have 2 spare RB's that are in stages of being built for different applications. One is going to be a 2.825L 860HP engine ready for when the badlands track is. I have a 6spd dogbox on order. The other I am slowly building a full tomei 11K reving engine with all the little oiling issues fixed. I am having the #6 injector custom made to offer a little more flow so #6 doesnt run lean like they do on stock rb's. I have already had the head machined and the coolant issue fixed with custom mounts to bring the highest point back to the rad. I have fixed all the small issues like they did with the race GTR’s. I love this car to bits. More then an r34. Its my all time favorite car. One day I will buy an F355 and go through the same meticulous and loving process. It will likely be imported from another country too.

You see, GTR's are not some fad car for me. I am approaching 30 and I adore this car. I have for the last 8 years of my life. All my “hobby” time goes towards it. My gf may not like it, but it is my obsession, It is my love.

I have tools, a lift and a garage full of parts. You name it, I have it.
I also built a winter beater. Its awd has heated leather seats and a webasto circulating coolant heater from a diesel. It blows hot on command. Its comfy and reliable. Does it matter to me that its “worth” more then my beloved GTR (if it were stock and I was willing to let it go for that price range)?

My winter car is a CDM car. It was in much worse mechanical repair when I bought it then my GTR was. It had only 65xxx on it (winter car). It was a CPO vehicle (haha).

Just because some kids that own examples that are not pristine, doesn’t mean all of our cars suck.

After reading this, I was so awestruck that I completely forgot what the thread was about, and now all I care about is your forthcoming build thread. :drool:

Sweet mother of god.

M.alex
12-05-2014, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

After reading this, I was so awestruck that I completely forgot what the thread was about, and now all I care about is your forthcoming build thread. :drool:

Sweet mother of god.

Is this thread now about who owns the coolest RHD vehicle?

xnvy
12-05-2014, 09:04 PM
Make that build thread!

^well we need such a thread to balance all the hate.

Penguin_Racecar
12-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
What's the profit % on importing cars? I see 98 legacy tt for almost 10 grand, cool car but way to rich for my blood.

Or you can import your own Grade 4 Legacy twin turbo GTB wagon for ~5-6k. This is the one car that is worthless at auction and people like to ask 10k once landed :) I have seen decent examples sell for $1k at auction (+ship+duties+OOP).

Fly Fishin'
12-05-2014, 11:55 PM
Ok so about 40% ish return on a best case scenario.

Alpine Autowerks
01-17-2015, 09:11 AM
saw a rhd BMW 318i E30

makes no sense on any level

ToXicXxX
01-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Personally I dislike all of them.

We had a customer who imported a 1998 540i from Japan, but it was a LHD. Mint condition, like 20,000km on it. Engine bay looked like a car fresh off the assembly line. So beautiful.

J.M.
01-17-2015, 02:59 PM
My buddy has a LHD MB 400E with like 45,000km that came from Japan. So fresh, so clean.

I wish there were more LHD S14 Kouki's around, those things are tough to find and sometimes it's just easier to find a RHD one.

ToXicXxX
01-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by J.M.
My buddy has a LHD MB 400E with like 45,000km that came from Japan. So fresh, so clean.

I wish there were more LHD S14 Kouki's around, those things are tough to find and sometimes it's just easier to find a RHD one.

Those Japanese sure do love Benz. My buddy was over there in summer, said he's never seen so many S class in one place.

Redlyne_mr2
01-17-2015, 04:49 PM
The euro cars make sense to import. Most of them are low k and are LHD. With that being said I wouldn't mind an older rhd sti.

ToXicXxX
01-17-2015, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The euro cars make sense to import. Most of them are low k and are LHD. With that being said I wouldn't mind an older rhd sti.

They are also often meticulously maintained. Any japanese European car I've seen came with a huge stack of records and was super clean.

dirtsniffer
01-17-2015, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Apparently for the bimmers the wiring is all different between the imports and the domestics. Calgary BMW wont even service them.

ToXicXxX
01-17-2015, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

Apparently for the bimmers the wiring is all different between the imports and the domestics. Calgary BMW wont even service them.

This is true of non North American BMW's, they are very different cars, less so now, but the older generations went as far to have different engines (E36 M3 is a good example).