PDA

View Full Version : Weird place/time for a checkstop?

Sentry
12-05-2014, 07:51 PM
6pm on Crowchild going into Calgary?

Who are the targeting, people who started drinking at 2pm on a weekday in Cochrane? Are they just trying to write tickets for that "improperly transporting" bullshit for people who picked up a six pack on their way home?

http://i.imgur.com/Rkk5Lqb.jpg

What's the deal?

Revelations, philz28, Traffic_Cop?

jltabot
12-05-2014, 07:56 PM
It's Friday, and Christmas party season is upon us. They up the check stops primarily for this reason

Sentry
12-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Do people have parties during the day though? And would it not make sense to have them going the other direction if that were the case?

AndyL
12-05-2014, 08:26 PM
We hauled a double the limit DUI at 10am this morning...

Drunks don't just come out at night - those lunchtime 9th ave check stops were big business...

Graham_A_M
12-05-2014, 08:34 PM
^who the fuck is that piss drunk at 10 am? Wtf? Wow and I thought I liked my beer. ... :nut: that's just straight fucked. Yeah it is Xmas season so expect a shit ton of check stops

Black Gts
12-05-2014, 08:39 PM
My 2 favourites were the 1 pm glenmore causing enough backups that you could have finished your beer in your car and still not registered on the breathalyser by time you got to the checkstop, and last year having a officer climb up into my crane putting his head past mine to look on the passenger side floor and then being close enough I thought we were going to kiss lol. I get it but I think it's mostly used for presence than enforcement.

Mista Bob
12-05-2014, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^who the fuck is that piss drunk at 10 am? Wtf? Wow and I thought I liked my beer. ... :nut: that's just straight fucked. Yeah it is Xmas season so expect a shit ton of check stops

People who drink all day, every day. AKA alcoholics

Heru-Farukon
12-05-2014, 11:17 PM
I thought it was weird too on my way back into the city.

Probably didnt help that i BRAP'd a little

Cos
12-05-2014, 11:22 PM

spikerS
12-05-2014, 11:27 PM
craziest check stop for me was in Cochrane, 8:30 am on a Wednesday morning.

dubhead
12-06-2014, 01:00 AM

Still hammered from the night before maybe?

ga16i
12-06-2014, 05:53 AM
Psychological warfare, they can get you anywhere anytime. Don't drink and drive.

ExtraSlow
12-06-2014, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by ga16i
Psychological warfare, they can get you anywhere anytime. Don't drink and drive. This is totally part of it. The other part is at the beginning of "checkstop season" they often do some at odd hours for training purposes for any new or inexperienced officers.

Stephen81
12-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Went through one at 7:30am in Cochrane this morning on my way to grab a cofe. I'm all for the safety on the roads, good to see the boys out there.

blairtruck
12-06-2014, 10:03 AM
they probably would catch more drunk drivers in the morning.
people always think 3 hours of sleep after a night out and 10 drinks. i can still drive to work

Graham_A_M
12-06-2014, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by dubhead

Still hammered from the night before maybe? to be twice the limit at 10 the next morning would equate to a whole new level of drunkenness the night before. Wow

Black Gts
12-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Or late start going until 930. You know till rush hour traffic is gone so I can sneak home.

haggis88
12-06-2014, 10:48 AM
to be twice the limit at 10 the next morning would equate to a whole new level of drunkenness the night before. Wow

this is true, but i bet it happens!

i know a couple of people who have been caught over the limit the next morning, although that was in the UK, where the limit is a fair bit lower than here (i think its half)

its a bad habit, i know i've driven in the morning when i probably shouldn't have...i don't go drinking often on a "school night", and if i know its going to happen I arrange a carpool or otherwise!

what's the punishment for DUI over here? My neighbour ended up with a 4 year ban and had to resit his tests...then the conviction stays on your license for 10 years, making insurance fucking extortionate - he was paying £3900 at aged 33 for a Volvo V70

canadian_hustla
12-06-2014, 11:36 AM
IMO I don't think there is any weird place/time for a checkstop - i.e. its all fair game - especially during the Holiday Season.

FYI I went through one at 1:00pm on Wednesday afternoon (Sarcee Trail heading out of the city). I didn't have anything to drink at my business lunch so I was waived right on through.

they are very efficiently run operations, only added another 5-10 min to my commute which didn't bother me at all.

M.alex
12-06-2014, 12:12 PM
They should do that on deerfoot at 5pm :rofl:

120Comm
12-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
6pm on Crowchild going into Calgary?

Who are the targeting, people who started drinking at 2pm on a weekday in Cochrane? Are they just trying to write tickets for that "improperly transporting" bullshit for people who picked up a six pack on their way home?

http://i.imgur.com/Rkk5Lqb.jpg

What's the deal?

Revelations, philz28, Traffic_Cop?

One was being done during a liveshot on CTV News at 6 last night.. I thought it was this one but I just remembered the reporter said "We're not telling you where this is" and then turned around and (inadvertently) revealed the "Balzac United Church" sign in the background.

What is that photo in your post supposed to be, though? All I can see is a parking lot, a couple of dumpsters, and some street lights in the distance.

Sentry
12-06-2014, 12:41 PM
A 30 minute long line of cars on highway 1A

BigShow
12-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Probably mentioned above but I've driven through checkstops at 7am on 9th Ave heading into dt on a weekday.

Feruk
12-06-2014, 01:46 PM
Who gives no fucks about jamming up a busy road? CPS of course. I understand why we have checkstops, but maybe a bit more common sense on where you place them is required. Throw the word "safety" in, and suddenly everyone loses their mind.

roopi
12-06-2014, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

I've never seen one on Deerfoot ever. Has it ever happened? Are the city police even allowed to (isn't it a provincial road?) :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
12-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

They've done it on Glenmore east/west at 330pm during the week. Crazy traffic jams, even if you were piss drunk you'd be sober by the time you got to the check stop.

frizzlefry
12-06-2014, 02:58 PM
I don't see a problem with running them at odd times. I have never actually seen one though...but I do live downtown so I am always coming in when the bar crowd is leaving.

Running them at weird times does make sense. Many people who do drive drunk are alcoholics and they drink all the time.

Had this environmental engineer at my previous company. Never late, no problems with his work. He would drive to and from the office. Then one day at lunch he dropped his thermos. Spilled Grey Goose everywhere. They guy was drunk 24/7 for years as it turned out.

Running a checkstop that early would likely catch the real bad ones who do it all the time.

roll_over
12-06-2014, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by roopi

I've never seen one on Deerfoot ever. Has it ever happened? Are the city police even allowed to (isn't it a provincial road?) :dunno:

A friend of mine posted about a check stop on deer foot a while back

Feruk
12-06-2014, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
Had this environmental engineer at my previous company. Never late, no problems with his work. He would drive to and from the office. Then one day at lunch he dropped his thermos. Spilled Grey Goose everywhere. They guy was drunk 24/7 for years as it turned out.

Running a checkstop that early would likely catch the real bad ones who do it all the time.
Those aren't the ones that cause the majority of the accidents though.

Ben
12-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by roopi

Last one I saw was south of Deerfood Meadows just before Southland overpass heading south. Had it go from 100 to 70 to 50 as if it was a construction zone, and pilons funnelling off lanes into one, but then by the time you get to it it was a checkstop.

Love seeing them. Wish I saw them more.

killramos
12-09-2014, 07:51 AM
Has it ever been discussed as to why we don't just locate more plain clothes officers randomly located at bars in the city?

Not necessarily a reason to get rid of check stops but at least if you are stopping them before they get in their cars then you are actually preventing the dangerous behavior from ever happening rather than waiting to catch someone in the catch who is completely pissered and has been all the way up to the stop?

:dunno:

Also a great way to catch bars who are overserving.

heavyfuel
12-09-2014, 09:43 AM
Fuck I remember going thru a checkstop at the Shouldice Bridge a few Xmas seasons back at like 2 in the afternoon on my way home from a job, had a six pack on the back seat with my tools, got pulled over, detained, bitched at about my tinted windows, and searched but not breathalyzed for some reason. I swear I coulda had a loaded AK back there and it wouldn't have been as big of a deal lol

lasimmon
12-09-2014, 10:18 AM
I took a wrong turn going to my friends place thinking Blackfoot was deerfoot and ended up in a checkstop.

I told the guy I had few beer with dinner about 6 hours earlier (it was 1:00 am I had just finished playing hockey). The cop seemed so excited like he caught me and made me blow. I blew a 0.00.

That was the day I learned you never say you have had anything to drink even if its just 1 or 2 like i did.

mr2mike
12-09-2014, 10:21 AM
There was one in Cochrane on Sunday afternoon.
It's not always at 2am they are catching a lot more during rush hour nowadays.

pheoxs
12-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by killramos
Has it ever been discussed as to why we don't just locate more plain clothes officers randomly located at bars in the city?

Not necessarily a reason to get rid of check stops but at least if you are stopping them before they get in their cars then you are actually preventing the dangerous behavior from ever happening rather than waiting to catch someone in the catch who is completely pissered and has been all the way up to the stop?

:dunno:

Also a great way to catch bars who are overserving.

Because then they can't ticket them for revenue?

Sadly I'm not joking. There is a lot the city could do for preventative measures but the reality is the CPS uses the revenue it generates for a significant portion of their budget.

sputnik
12-09-2014, 10:35 AM

People who are still drunk for the night before.

clem24
12-09-2014, 11:29 AM
LOL why are people complaining that the city is out nabbing drunks in the morning? Maybe the Checkstop bus should be used to catch speeders during that time instead?!?

Mitsu3000gt
12-09-2014, 11:40 AM
The DUI I called in was at 10AM. We also had an alcoholic in the family. They are hammered pretty much 24/7, and catching them when they least expect it (morning, probably) is smart.

In addition to his, often times a hard night of partying might end at 5 or 6 AM. After a couple hours sleep, you probably won't be sober, but people will still drive home.

killramos
12-09-2014, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

Sadly I'm not joking. There is a lot the city could do for preventative measures but the reality is the CPS uses the revenue it generates for a significant portion of their budget.

How could they not ticket them for revenue?

AS soon as the guy opens the door of the car they can press charges. You can get a dui for sleeping in the back seat of your car if you have the keys.

speedog
12-09-2014, 12:51 PM

Not again, someone supposing that CPS ticket revenue goes directly to the CPS.

The fact remains that all revenues generated by CPS tickets go into the CoC's general coffers and from there, the monies are re-dispersed according to budgets that the CoC Council sets. I'm not going to bother to any supporting documentation as it's all too easy to locate this information for one's self.

That said, I'm no fool and do realize that the CoC most likely quite welcomes these increased revenues but it's folly to think that all CPS ticket revenue goes directly to the CPS. Never the less, if some multi-million dollars of CoC revenue is realized from those that don't heed the rules and that, in turn, means that my property taxes are a bit subsidized by said revenues, then it's all good and especially so since I'm not personally subsidizing my own property taxes.

lasimmon
12-09-2014, 01:41 PM

How could they not ticket them for revenue?

AS soon as the guy opens the door of the car they can press charges. You can get a dui for sleeping in the back seat of your car if you have the keys.

False. Easily thrown out of court if they would take it that far.

Sleeping in the drivers seat or passenger seat with the car running can lead to charges.

killramos
12-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon

False. Easily thrown out of court if they would take it that far.

Sleeping in the drivers seat or passenger seat with the car running can lead to charges.

Really?

And you think that Patrick Brazeau cant afford a good lawyer?

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/patrick-brazeau-back-in-court-facing-new-charges/

Suspended senator Patrick Brazeau was due to appear in a Gatineau, Que., courtroom Tuesday after he was arrested on the weekend for allegedly being drunk behind the wheel of a parked car and carrying a knife.

A police officer reported seeing Brazeau alone in the car and said he smelled alcohol on the senator and found a knife in the vehicle.

Police say Brazeau has been charged with:

Having had the care or control of a motor vehicle while his ability to operate the vehicle was impaired by alcohol or a drug;

Having had the care or control of a motor vehicle having consumed alcohol in such a quantity that his blood exceeded 80 ml of alcohol per 100 ml of blood; and,

Breach of conditions for having possession of a weapon.

Car was not running. He was charged. They didn't even confirm if he had the keys.

mr2mike
12-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Even sitting in the driver's seat while car is off can lead to charges as they'll claim you were intending on driving. Why press your luck? Hit the backseat.

killramos
12-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Even sitting in the driver's seat while car is off can lead to charges as they'll claim you were intending on driving. Why press your luck? Hit the backseat.

I have heard even the back seat isnt safe. I think it was on the morning news from a cps officer after this brazeau thing. The only safety is not having the keys ( ie sleeping in your car and giving them to your buddy). Dont have a link sorry :dunno:

lasimmon
12-09-2014, 01:53 PM

Really?

And you think that Patrick Brazeau cant afford a good lawyer?

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/patrick-brazeau-back-in-court-facing-new-charges/

Car was not running. He was charged. They didn't even confirm if he had the keys.

So he was in the front seat? Did you read my post?

spikerS
12-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike

My brother got his DUI that way.

Cold night out, and he was at the bar and got drunk. He called me to come get him, but as I was still an hour away, he crawled into his back seat, started the car to keep warm, and then passed out.

When I arrived to pick him up, the cops already had him in the back seat of the cruiser and arrested for DUI. It held up in court too. In court, the judge agreed with the prosecution, that because he was in the vehicle, drunk, that he was in control of the car, it didn't matter that he was in the back seat sleeping.

killramos
12-09-2014, 01:54 PM

So he was in the front seat? Did you read my post?

Yes I did, you had the caveat of car running. Which his was not. Did you read mine?

killramos
12-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

My brother got his DUI that way.

Cold night out, and he was at the bar and got drunk. He called me to come get him, but as I was still an hour away, he crawled into his back seat, started the car to keep warm, and then passed out.

When I arrived to pick him up, the cops already had him in the back seat of the cruiser and arrested for DUI. It held up in court too.

Well look at that :rolleyes:

lasimmon
12-09-2014, 01:56 PM

Yes I did, you had the caveat of car running. Which his was not. Did you read mine?

Was my mistake i meant just being in the front. It can't be reasonably understood that you have an ability to drive and thus can't be charged.

Had a friend have charges thrown out because of this exact situation.

From Above^^ Keys in the ignition. Driving potential.

killramos
12-09-2014, 01:59 PM

Was my mistake i meant just being in the front. It can't be reasonably understood that you have an ability to drive and thus can't be charged.

i think the takeaway from this is you are playing with fire by being drunk and getting in your car, regardless of your intentions.

Not to mention you are unlikely to remember the details if you are quite impared.

Just call a friend and wait at the bar and order another pint, its alot cheaper than throwing it on black with the popo.

lasimmon
12-09-2014, 02:00 PM
And at the end of the day its cold in your car, stay in the bar where it is warm :thumbsup:

spikerS
12-09-2014, 02:00 PM

From Above^^ Keys in the ignition. Driving potential.

It is not even "driving Potential" it is "in control of a motor vehicle".

In talking with a few police officers, the only safe way to sleep it off in your car is to put the keys in the trunk (assuming a sedan, not a hatch), and hope to hell you don't freeze.

gqmw
12-09-2014, 02:01 PM
From what I heard, as long as you're not in the drivers seat, the car is not running and you do not have the keys on you, you're safe from a DUI? Can anyone confirm?

killramos
12-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by gqmw
From what I heard, as long as you're not in the drivers seat, the car is not running and you do not have the keys on you, you're safe from a DUI? Can anyone confirm?

Based on the last page or so i would safely say no, no one can confirm.

A lot of it comes down to judgement of police / prosecutor and the small details and whether or not the judge has had a good shit that morning.

Its a serious charge that is not worth risking.

pheoxs
12-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

It is not even "driving Potential" it is "in control of a motor vehicle".

In talking with a few police officers, the only safe way to sleep it off in your car is to put the keys in the trunk (assuming a sedan, not a hatch), and hope to hell you don't freeze.

I don't understand this. If someone is sleeping in the passenger seat why does it matter if the keys are in their pocket vs the glove box vs the trunk. At the end of the day if they have the intention of driving, they'll drive. Moving the keys out of reach isn't going to change anything.

If they're sleeping in the passenger seat clearly they've already made a decision that they are too intoxicated to operate the motor vehicle and to sleep it off.

It is similar to the rules regarding having alcohol in a vehicle. You can have unopened alcohol in a vehicle so long as its out of reach of the driver. I don't really get what that is going to accomplish? If they are going to drink and drive they'll pull over and grab it from the trunk. Just because it's more than 3 feet away from them isn't going to prevent them from making that decision.

killramos
12-09-2014, 02:10 PM

I don't understand this. If someone is sleeping in the passenger seat why does it matter if the keys are in their pocket vs the glove box vs the trunk. At the end of the day if they have the intention of driving, they'll drive. Moving the keys out of reach isn't going to change anything.

If they're sleeping in the passenger seat clearly they've already made a decision that they are too intoxicated to operate the motor vehicle and to sleep it off.

It is similar to the rules regarding having alcohol in a vehicle. You can have unopened alcohol in a vehicle so long as its out of reach of the driver. I don't really get what that is going to accomplish? If they are going to drink and drive they'll pull over and grab it from the trunk. Just because it's more than 3 feet away from them isn't going to prevent them from making that decision.

It was a clever idea by someone writing the laws to try and trip up people trying to get out of the DUI by saying they weren't going to drive or hopping seats and shutting up waiting for the lawyer up.

As per usual in this country it backfires on innocent people trying to follow the stupid laws. I have no idea how they truly prove intent in these cases.

:bullshit:

dirtsniffer
12-09-2014, 02:43 PM
funniest place i have seen a checkstop is on 37th street right by the access to tsuu tina. middle of the afternoon on a beautiful day. I was going to use the bottle depot and the hatch and the backseat were completely full of beers can, liquor and wine bottles. The cop was not happy, said he could smell booze. But I told him that I wash out my cans and haven't had any drinks. still awkward though.