PDA

View Full Version : Smucked my Camera: advice?

Sugarphreak
12-07-2014, 01:31 PM

Go4Long
12-07-2014, 01:49 PM
D60 is about 4 generations old now, but if it is just the lens that is messing up and you're otherwise happy with what the camera gives you, just buy a new lens and be done with it. Nikon 18-55 is $120 or so.

If on the other hand you were looking for a really good excuse to upgrade, there's lots of new stuff out there, depending on what you're looking to spend the options are nearly limitless.

Sugarphreak
12-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Sugarphreak
12-07-2014, 02:57 PM

Go4Long
12-07-2014, 04:18 PM
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX50302

whole new camera and 18-55.

I'm not a big fan of the mega zooms personally (the ones with the huge focal length range) since I've never seen an example of one that wasn't at best average through the entire range. But again, if you're looking to have a camera with one lens that you never change, then they'll do the trick, and realistically they're about on par with the 18-55 optically speaking.

msommers
12-07-2014, 05:07 PM
Boom done. D5300 I don't think is worth it but the 5200 is a great camera with a good all around lens.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/7675-Nikon-D5200-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6G-VR.aspx

Of course with camera gear, the sky's the limit on how much you can spend :banghead: :rofl:

Go4Long
12-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Boom done. D5300 I don't think is worth it but the 5200 is a great camera with a good all around lens.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/7675-Nikon-D5200-18-55mm-f3-5-5-6G-VR.aspx

Of course with camera gear, the sky's the limit on how much you can spend :banghead: :rofl:

Ain't that the truth :P

Sugarphreak
12-07-2014, 11:13 PM

msommers
12-07-2014, 11:44 PM
I see the confusion. My recommendation was based off your rough budget, however my comment was that you can spend as much as you can think of almost in terms of picking a new camera.

The D5200 will give you lots of options in terms of manual control should you explore that option but also a good auto functioning and ISO performance.

Though if you're preference is with a point and shoot sized camera, mirrorless or particular point and shoots will actually perform incredibly well, especially with that budget in mind.

As Steve mentioned, the D60 body is a bit old and ISO and auto focus performance have both really improved in modern cameras compared to 5 years ago :)

blitz
12-08-2014, 08:56 AM
This is a pretty good one lens kit:

http://www.thecamerastore.com/7413-Leica-M-P-Type-240.aspx

http://www.thecamerastore.com/2607-Leica-Noctilux-M-50mm-f0-95.aspx

Sugarphreak
12-08-2014, 09:05 AM

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2014, 09:44 AM
The best deal going is the D5200 + 18-140VR + bag + NC filter for $799. It was on for black Friday and will be back for Boxing day at Future Shop and London Drugs. For a beginner, that can't be beat. Just wait a few weeks and pick one up.

Sugarphreak
12-08-2014, 09:47 AM

Sugarphreak
12-08-2014, 10:47 AM

blitz
12-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Looks fucking awesome.

I personally would spend the cash over the D5200 kit to get it. Smaller sensor but way faster glass, and if you were perfectly happy with the 18-55mm zoom range with your D60 it should be a good fit.

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2014, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Just wondering, any opinions on the Panasonic Lumix LX100?

Good lens, smaller sensor (still very good), but still a point & shoot at the end of the day. No changing lenses, no ability to track moving subjects well, no optical viewfinder, half the megapixels, no built in flash, fewer external controls, etc.

It's just a very different type of camera compared to a DSLR, your needs dictate whether it's better or worse. If you're used to the auto focus capabilities, flexibility, and ergonomics of a DSLR, you may be disappointed. The LX100 is a camera I would use to compliment a DSLR, not necessarily replace it, unless I had very clearly defined shooting needs. It's hard for us to tell you what's better for you, but they are not really comparable cameras so you need to decide what direction you want to go based on your shooting style.

The D5200 deal is over $1,300 of equipment for $799, it's offering a lot more bang for the buck IMHO. It also has much more future flexibility if you want to buy different lenses, etc. should your interest in the hobby progress. That being said, if you only ever used your D60 in auto-mode as a glorified P&S for static subjects anyway, maybe you would appreciate the smaller package. I am not putting down the LX100 at all, it's a hell of a P&S, it's just a very different type of camera from a DSLR so you need to be aware of the differences.

Sugarphreak
12-08-2014, 12:16 PM

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2014, 12:30 PM
If you liked the ergonomics and manual zooming abilities of your DSLR, and if your Go Pro is your go-to for video or when you need a compact camera, I'd stick with a DSLR for the rest. Unless the bulkiness is a big issue, no sense taking a step backward IMHO. The best camera is always the one you have with you, so as long as you don't mind carrying a small DSLR around, it's going to be tough to beat.

Sugarphreak
12-08-2014, 01:23 PM

blitz
12-08-2014, 02:13 PM
The LX100 has more external controls than the D5200...

It it's lens is also f1.4 vs f3.5 for the Nikon kit lens on the wide angle, and 2.8 vs 5.6 on the long end. It also has way better macro capabilities. 24mm wide angle vs 27mm.

Unless you're wanting to track moving subjects, the LX100 is superior in every way IMO.

Sugarphreak
12-08-2014, 02:23 PM

ga16i
12-08-2014, 02:28 PM
So are mirrorless DSLR cameras just fancy point and shoots then? Just using that name as a game of smoke and mirrors for sales?

*ironic pun intended

No, not quite. I'm a bit biased towards the Olympus offerings, but I think the mirror was introduced a long time ago to provide a way for people to see through the lens. This allows you to have a much better idea of what your picture will look like. Very useful especially for sports and macros. With the digital camera now, we can capture an image directly onto a sensor without the use of a mirror that flips out of the way. Getting rid of this mirror allows for a shorter and smaller camera. Mirrorless cameras now come in a variety of sensor sizes including 35mm, APS-C, and m4/3. Most point and shoots are also technically mirrorless just because they don't have the reflex mirror. Rangefinders from 100+ years ago are also technically mirrorless.

The autofocus on the mirrorless cameras can be pretty quick now, even in low light. I'd even say that contrast detect autofocus is more reliable than the more traditional phase detect autofocus in certain still low light situations. The AUTO mode on pretty much all cameras will make it behave like a point and shoot. The Nikon 1 AW1 and its relatively cheap AW lenses are really interesting for its water resistance of 49' straight out of the box.

blitz
12-08-2014, 02:56 PM
^^ If something is moving, and I used the HD video instead of trying to shoot it in motion... could I extrapolate images from that later on? Or will that yield poor results?

Can't really help you there, I've never really used video on any camera I've owned.

That being said, the LX100 shoots 4k, which the D5200 does not.

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2014, 03:20 PM
So are mirrorless DSLR cameras just fancy point and shoots then? Just using that name as a game of smoke and mirrors for sales?

*ironic pun intended

Yes and no. Something like the LX100 is miles ahead of what you're likely used to with your Coolpix P&S in terms of speed, control, and image quality, even though it's still basically a P&S. It uses a sensor almost as large as what is in your D60/D5200, has a pretty good lens, etc. Where it falls short is ergonomics, autofocus (no phase detect AF = poor tracking), image quality is a still behind something like the D5200, and you're stuck with that lens so if you ever want to go wider or get more reach, you can't. It also has no built-in flash, you need to carry around an extra flash and attach it any time you need it.

With that D5200 kit, you're getting much more capable AF along with the ability to track moving subjects if desired, a measurably better sensor with double the resolution, an optical viewfinder, built-in flash, and much greater overall system flexibility. You have access to dozens of lenses, flashes, filters, etc. that are all readily available at various price points. That flexibility comes at increased size and a cost though - for example, if you want wider than 18mm, longer than 140mm, faster than f3.5-5.6, or a macro lens, that all means more lenses and more to carry around but at least you have the option and room to grow. The 18-140VR is a fantastic general purpose kit lens, but it's not a do-everything lens. Certainly more flexible than your 18-55, so if you were happy with that, you'll be making a step up there for sure.

The lens in the LX100 is faster (F1.7-2.8) and has an almost-macro mode, but the trade off is you're limited to the lens it comes with and can never add anything else. I would also argue that fast lenses are less useful when you don't have a good AF system to back it up, as often times you are using fast lenses to get the shutter speed up for the purpose of tracking and capturing action, which you won't be doing very well with a LX100. Again that will depend on your subject matter though, for all I know you will be shooting portraits with it.

We can debate the merits of each all day but yours is the only opinion that matters. Maybe head down to the camera store and have a look at both, you may find something is a deal breaker either way and makes your decision easier. For example, personally, I can't stand electronic viewfinders, and if you're used to an optical one in your D60, you may not be a fan either. Or you may find the 18-140 is too heavy. Who knows. My gut feeling is that if you're used to a DSLR, you will be disappointed moving down to a P&S, even if it's a very good one. The LX100 would make a perfect backup camera to a DSLR kit, but it falls short in too many areas to replace a DSLR kit IMHO.

blitz
12-08-2014, 03:51 PM
I think it's unfair to call the LX-100 a P&S. Same goes with the Sony RX100, RX1, Ricoh GR etc. A lot of them have WAY better manual controls than a D5200, lenses that were specifically designed for the sensor used, and focus points that aren't just clustered around the center of the image.

I've owned literally every major camera system out there (minus Samsung's stuff and digital medium format) and I feel the quality of my photos are completely independent of the camera's I've used. I got by just fine with 12 MP for years, you've been doing the same with 10 MP on your D60. Either camera is going to be a huge leap in image quality.

The best camera is one you enjoy using and carry with you as much as possible.

Look at the size comparison and tell me which one you'd use more:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#393.290,569,ha,t

So head down to TCS without any preconceptions that a DSLR is better than a mirrorless camera and just see what you like.

Sugarphreak
12-08-2014, 07:53 PM

blitz
12-08-2014, 07:57 PM
Either decision is a good one :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
12-09-2014, 09:58 AM
If you do choose the D5300 + 18-140VR route, you may still want to wait until Boxing Day. The D5200 is almost identical to the D5300, and you will get a free bag and high quality Nikon filter in addition to the camera & lens for $799. The D5300 + 18-140VR is $939 at TCS. Totally up to you of course, but at least you have a couple options there if you want to save a little bit of money.

The D5300 has a 0.2" larger LCD, no AA filter on the sensor, better video mode (1080/60P vs 60i), WiFi, and GPS. If you need any of those things, get the 5300. If you don't, grab the 5200 Boxing Day deal.

Tezzating
12-09-2014, 10:09 AM
You might find this site useful for finding the best deal: photoprice.ca (http://www.photoprice.ca)

Your cheapest options to replace the lens and keep the older body. If you're happy with its results, its the best plan.

I'd second the boxing week sales, you'll get some good (big) savings then.

Sugarphreak
12-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Mitsu3000gt
12-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Yeah TCS rarely has the best pricing these days, and their staff seems to be going downhill particularly in the product knowledge department. The last several big ticket items I've bought from them have all been price matched, which they have been good about. Can't beat their return policy though compared to most other camera stores, but BestBuy would be the same. Overall I'm still pretty happy with them, but I would be less so if I needed product education/inforrmation.

The D5300 deal for $939 is pretty good - just get BestBuy to match/beat it.