PDA

View Full Version : Opinions?: 1955 Porsche Spyder 550 Replica

CanmoreOrLess
12-09-2014, 10:13 PM
Stumbled upon this replica Porsche, I kind of like it, the simplicity of the whole package. Seems a decent value at around $30K? Opinions?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1955-porsche-spyder-550-replica/1030164099?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

finboy
12-09-2014, 10:15 PM
My neighbour used to have one almost exactly like that, I wonder if it his old car. Crazy small in person, it would be a blast to drive :dunno:

rx7_turbo2
12-09-2014, 10:45 PM
I knew a guy with a white one, Beck was the manufacturer of his, not sure about the one you posted. There's not much to them that's for sure, gets a lot of looks though, something about that shape people love, even people who don't give a shit about cars.

The Beck replicas can demand a fair amount of $$$ depending on the quality of the build, components, paint ect. The one you posted looks pretty clean. Generally speaking they hold their value as well.

roopi
12-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Why don't replica cars get the same flak as replica watches/purses/clothes/etc?

Sentry
12-09-2014, 11:16 PM
In the case of aircooled Porsches, the reps usually perform better, are more reliable, easier to source parts for, etc. etc. Just easier to live with as a car. And they look legit unlike a Ferrari bodykit on a fiero.

soloracer
12-09-2014, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by roopi
Why don't replica cars get the same flak as replica watches/purses/clothes/etc?

They do, but only with the crowd that can afford the real thing. However, when the real thing is priced in the millions odds are you have more people who think they are cool - even if they are a fake.

Graham_A_M
12-10-2014, 06:50 AM
^ this. I was interested in the Diablo roadsters. To this day their absolutely gorgeous to me. Problem is, the real thing is one of the most expensive to maintain super cars ever, costing about $1/km in maintenance. Their also quite troublesome. So I wanted to buy a replica with a full tube frame and a BMW v12.....make by a Canadian company, they were almost impossible to tell apart, and we're absolutely dirt cheap to own. Problem is, that company was facing litigation from Lamborghini, so they had to close their doors before I could buy one. They weren't cheap though, at $90k. It's the same thing with one of these.

Original Spyder's are worth in the millions, then you have parts to worry about if you actually plan on driving it. It's easy to see why a lot of people opt for replicas. Same deal with the original AC Shelby Cobra ' s too. :nut:

Too bad they used a vw flat 4 on this one... that engine is kind of a turd. But it's probably the best choice for a car this size and age.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-10-2014, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't want to have to try and get that past OOPI in Alberta...

M.alex
12-10-2014, 11:07 AM
FWIW, I would never purchase a car another individual built (I don't know if that's factory built or not?). I've seen soooooooooooooooooooooooo many builds that look clean but have crazy sketchy shit going on underneath.

Originally posted by soloracer

They do, but only with the crowd that can afford the real thing. However, when the real thing is priced in the millions odds are you have more people who think they are cool - even if they are a fake.

I would hate to own an original of anything i've built - I'd be too scarred to drive it, rock chips, etc.. etc.. - takes away from the fun. I know some owners do throw them on the track, street, etc..., but I'll happily take my fakes and know that if something happens it's probably a quick cheap fix.

M.alex
12-10-2014, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ this. I was interested in the Diablo roadsters. To this day their absolutely gorgeous to me. Problem is, the real thing is one of the most expensive to maintain super cars ever, costing about $1/km in maintenance. Their also quite troublesome. So I wanted to buy a replica with a full tube frame and a BMW v12.....make by a Canadian company, they were almost impossible to tell apart, and we're absolutely dirt cheap to own. Problem is, that company was facing litigation from Lamborghini, so they had to close their doors before I could buy one. They weren't cheap though, at $90k. It's the same thing with one of these.

properly done Diablo replica :drool:

There's that done up orange Countach replica in the south .... I've never had a chance to look at it up close, but it looks really good :drool: :drool:

soloracer
12-10-2014, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

There's that done up orange Countach replica in the south .... I've never had a chance to look at it up close, but it looks really good :drool: :drool:

The only problem I have with replica's is the owners who insist on badging them as the real deal and tell everyone they see it's the real thing. I heard that was the case with the orange countach. I think there was even a photo shoot where the owner is wearing all the Lambo swag.

Sugarphreak
12-10-2014, 04:28 PM

M.alex
12-10-2014, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

The only problem I have with replica's is the owners who insist on badging them as the real deal and tell everyone they see it's the real thing. I heard that was the case with the orange countach. I think there was even a photo shoot where the owner is wearing all the Lambo swag.

I've also heard that guy is a gigantic toolbag :rofl:

If I were to ever own a lambo replica I'd take the badges off for a clean look, that also kills it for me on the accurate bodied ones

Graham_A_M
12-10-2014, 04:56 PM

Yeah these were the ones, based out of a place called NAERC (north American exotic replicars) in Saskatoon. Then a guy would build turn key ones using their kits out of Victoria BC, that outfit was called Ron ' s toy store. So turn key options would cost $75-95k depending on the engine and options. Here they are.... well a few pics at least. https://www.google.ca/search?q=naerc+roadster+replica&safe=off&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=oM2IVLj6DYbxoAT154KoDQ&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=360&bih=640&dpr=3

I still really want to buy one out of Rons shop. He really knew wtf he was doing, the cars were flawless, so I was really choked when he had to close up shop some few years ago. I'll have to check the replica car forums for one that comes up for sale. But alas yeah, most Diablo replica ' s are shit in comparison . Just hacked up fieros :nut:

With those? I'd never give one a second look, but at least with a well done NAERC kit, I'd be quite proud to own one, as they can perform as good as they look among countless other things

soloracer
12-10-2014, 07:15 PM

I've also heard that guy is a gigantic toolbag :rofl:

If I were to ever own a lambo replica I'd take the badges off for a clean look, that also kills it for me on the accurate bodied ones

The story I heard on that car was the owner insists that it's a real Countach chassis, that he pulled the Lambo V12 in favor of a Chevy V8 and the Fiero style interior was a custom remake of the original Lambo interior. At which point one has to just roll one's eyes and go "Yeah, sure"