PDA

View Full Version : 2 traffic signals at 4 way intersection question...

16hypen3sp
12-11-2014, 02:51 PM
The town I live in just put these up. Obviously not activated yet. Quick question for you guys… Might be super dumb but there are a lot of people in my neighbourhood confused over this.

The vertically mounted signal means that I am, in fact, facing a traffic signal, correct? This isn't one of those intersections where I can just go at any time… I have to wait for the vertical green to illuminate then proceed?

Situation is described perfectly in the pic below.

The traffic signals are for traffic control going north/south. I am facing west here. You can see the vertical light at centre-left, in front of that pine tree.

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj186/manandmachinex411/ScreenShot2014-12-11at13310PM_zps1986c6b1.png (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/manandmachinex411/media/ScreenShot2014-12-11at13310PM_zps1986c6b1.png.html)

ExtraSlow
12-11-2014, 02:55 PM
Looks to me like they may be planning on putting an additional light facing your direction. Kinds hard to see that vertical one if you are in the left turn lane.

danno
12-11-2014, 03:02 PM
I'd say that they should have bagged the heads so there is no confusion.
Either way none of the heads are aimed properly so those vertical will eventually be aimed the same direction as the horizontal heads. You probably have detector loops where the stop signs are that will cycle traffic, so people at the stop signs can go if they wait to long. The only way to cross the intersection at the stop sign is to proceed when safe to do so.

16hypen3sp
12-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Looks to me like they may be planning on putting an additional light facing your direction. Kinds hard to see that vertical one if you are in the left turn lane.

Town says what you see is what you get. No more planned for this intersection.

danno
12-11-2014, 03:04 PM
They have one of these on edmonton trail and 7th ave heading westbound you have a stop sign north south is traffic signals. Only a T intersection but still stupid.

kenny
12-11-2014, 03:04 PM
Weird setup, they have a bunch of these intersections in Calgary but no vertical light, just a stop sign for the easy/west traffic in your example. If they get rid of the stop sign and use those vertical lights I can see a lot of people blowing through straight through not noticing the light.

Those vertical lights must also be for North/South traffic (stop sign stays)

16hypen3sp
12-11-2014, 03:10 PM
I am now thinking danno and kenny are right. Those vertical mounted lights will face the same direction as the overhead lights controlling north/south. Traffic going east/west will freely move into north/south traffic when safe to do so.

There is a crosswalk there too, which I think is the main reason they put those lights there. North/south traffic will get a red when the walk button is pushed.

This is starting to make sense now.

diamondedge
12-13-2014, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by danno
They have one of these on edmonton trail and 7th ave heading westbound you have a stop sign north south is traffic signals. Only a T intersection but still stupid.

I live close to this. They just put up lights for those going westbound...hah.

Before the only real purpose of the lights on 7th was to allow pedestrians to cross Edmonton trail. Or jayrun to the bus. Or Diner Deluxe. I hated turning SB, can't see shit in a low car with hipsters loitering.

16hyp, this looks like crosswalk stuff.

Tik-Tok
12-13-2014, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by diamondedge

16hyp, this looks like crosswalk stuff.

Which can easily be turned into an advantage when you have a passenger, and it's a busy time of day. ;)

pheoxs
12-13-2014, 02:05 AM
Yup, they are to stop traffic for pedestrians. You (at that direction) can enter the intersection once you have stopped and ensured it is safe to proceed