PDA

View Full Version : Wings West going out of business?

buh_buh
03-07-2004, 01:52 PM
I read on another forum that Wings West is going out of business, and I went to their website and they are selling all their project cars. Anyone know any truth to this?

CRXguy
03-07-2004, 02:04 PM
I hope they have a blowout sale! :D

buh_buh
03-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Well Tunerworks is having a WW sale right now.:)

95acc
03-07-2004, 02:21 PM
I have heard the same thing, i did not get all of the details but on of my reps mentioned it to me.

EnRich
03-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Strange to hear that... WW is probably the best body kit company... I dunno...

Rich

Ekliptix
03-07-2004, 09:04 PM
Crap, there go my plans for my WW Big Mouth kit.

JordanLotoski
03-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
Crap, there go my plans for my WW Big Mouth kit.

maybe thats why there going out of business.....they put all there money into that ulgy ass BIG mouth kit.......now nobody wants it....well other then you:rofl:

Weapon_R
03-07-2004, 09:33 PM
It's tough to compete these days IMO. It seems as though a million companies have sprung up and have done exactly what Wings West does, only a LOT cheaper. It seems so much cheaper to buy fiberglass body kits instead of Urethane and that is what the little guys have done. Granted, Wings West makes some of the nicest and best fitting kits on the market, and I hope that people will realize that.

Seanith
03-07-2004, 09:42 PM
haha..

this is surprising though.. isn't WW on every ricers wishlist? :dunno:

7thgenvic
03-08-2004, 06:33 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, well i guess its not too bad if they sell everything off for super cheap, that would make meee happy

Ridelikeme
03-08-2004, 09:21 PM
reason for bankrupcy--- who is gonna buy the wings west kit direct if they can get an exact replica with a different name for 1/4 of the price.. plus wings west developed to many body kits for each car, without spending more time on actually making one of them really nice...so of course most of them wont sell

Seanith
03-08-2004, 09:55 PM
yeah they have like 50 kits for civics alone.. pretty stupid imo

88CRX
03-08-2004, 09:59 PM
can anyone confirm this??????

jaylo
03-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Yes their prices are very high compared to the fiberglass ones but in my honest opinion they are good for what the price that they sell it for.

The quality is very good and the fitting is perfect. I know a lot of people want to save up by buying the fiberglass or cheaper versions but sometimes you actually have to pay more because of the auto body shop charging you for extra labor because the kit doesn't fit very well.

Oh well I hope they don't go out of business. Maybe if they lessen the kits that they have and stick to the ones that are most popular they might be able to stay in the aftermarket industry.

Tuner1
03-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Ridelikeme
reason for bankrupcy--- who is gonna buy the wings west kit direct if they can get an exact replica with a different name for 1/4 of the price..

Not picking on your quote, but it is a VERY sad day when the imitators steal all the business away from the inovators and force them out of business. Many of us on here are old enough to realise that this is NOT a good situation! Anyone can steal an idea or design, but that will never keep the world turing and better products coming to the market.

On a side note, but in regards to your "1/4 of the price" quote, you can go anywhere and buy a fake Rolex for 1/100th the cost of a real one, but I can assure you Rolex isn't about to go out of business.

This is obviously a very complex topic and everyone will have an opinion to voice, but I believe the comsumer will ultimately be the loser if this situation is allowed to manifest itself in our industry :(

Rob

jdmakkord
03-08-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by E36S50B32

Not picking on your quote, but it is a VERY sad day when the imitators steal all the business away from the inovators and force them out of business. Many of us on here are old enough to realise that this is NOT a good situation! Anyone can steal an idea or design, but that will never keep the world turing and better products coming to the market.

On a side note, but in regards to your "1/4 of the price" quote, you can go anywhere and buy a fake Rolex for 1/100th the cost of a real one, but I can assure you Rolex isn't about to go out of business.

This is obviously a very complex topic and everyone will have an opinion to voice, but I believe the comsumer will ultimately be the loser if this situation is allowed to manifest itself in our industry :(

Rob

Hell, I've had my ww bigmouth for my accord since they made them in fibreglass!!! One of the originals, it sucks when knockoff shit rolls around, like vis, and all of the new body kit producers.

88CRX
03-08-2004, 11:06 PM
so............. are they going out or not?

pulse_crx
03-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
so............. are they going out or not?

Im assuming they are, but what does it matter, I thought you already had a kit? just not on?

AutodreamMarvin
03-09-2004, 01:36 AM
wings west was the ish way back in the day. They totally cashed in on the supra spoiler craze which brought them to the popularity that they now enjoy today. it's sad when you see a company that builds quality products like wings west go out to poor fitting vis, and ebay knockoffs. even though ALOT, if not all of their kits are also either knockoffs or heavily "inspired" by existing kits, their quality and workmanship more than made up for the lack of originality. why pay 1200 for a crx kit when you can get a gtp one for 800? why? fitment, quality, and the fact that since it's urethane it can withstand the stresses of daily driving and not crack at the slightest stone. too bad they had to go out like that while companies like apc thrive. anyone know when they are going to clear out their inventory? i want an 88-91 civic RS 6pc kit.

ninjak84
03-09-2004, 01:50 AM
I'm not surprised to see them go.....

When the market started getting competitive, what did they do?
Freeze prices and build more project cars!

mutsuraboshi
03-09-2004, 09:40 PM
r they going out of bizz?
or just selling off their proj cars cuz they are getting old?
alot of the project cars they built have newer gens out

Inthered
03-09-2004, 11:06 PM
their quality of product was really good but the style I think just got played out.

88CRX
03-09-2004, 11:22 PM
wow, lots of speculation..... and yes i had a kit but i traded it of for some other go fast goodies :D so i need another kit

i'm assuming there still in buisness since no one can confirm anything.

buh_buh
03-09-2004, 11:25 PM
well a lot of people have also heard that they are going out of business as well, so I assume they are.
I agree with Inthered. Their quality is good, but the style is so out of date.

Ridelikeme
03-09-2004, 11:54 PM
man i totally agree that its not a good idea to have all of the quality goods goin out.. if u wanna go cheap then thats your problem.. all im sayin is that there are very good quality goods that are cheap.. body kits are becoming so readily available that soon shops all around calgary will be makin em' (just an idea).. but wings west distributed their actuall kits to online companies for very cheap.. they then sell the kits for far less than msrp... i dono id hate to see a quality good shop go out of business, but i just dont see wings west that way...... they are mass producers... not quality control freaks

7thgenvic
03-14-2004, 02:29 AM
you guys are getting it all wrong, they will be comming back, they may be in a bind right now but i swear on the bible, they will be back and kicking stronger than ever in the next year!

i'll bet 1000 bucks on it! the company is not completly bankrupt yet