PDA

View Full Version : Retro Gaming consoles in Calgary?

Robin Goodfellow
12-16-2014, 12:01 AM
I'd like to (gently) introduce my kids to video games. I'm not familar with the older consoles, as I never had one growing up.

Don't want to go straight to the latest and greatest current consoles, as that would be like crack, and none of us would ever leave the house again.

I'm thinking N64, as there are pokemon titles for it which my kids would like. Plus I remember seeing mario world and thinking it looked cool.

Leaning towards N64, but open to other suggestions. Also considering SNES/Zelda.

The games available are probably just as important as the system... My kids havn't played much games before and will be pretty impressed with anything.

Also would like to know where they best place is to go to buy such things.... Are there stores that stock such things, or should I go straight to Kijiji?

Thank you.
RG.

Boat
12-16-2014, 12:11 AM
What are their ages? I've seen stuff at the flea market for a decent price, including nintendo 64's. I got my Nes from Beyond and my snes is a retro duo clone system, I believe that was from think geek.

I'm not sure I would recommend the 64 and I think it would be harder to introduce kids to games with that system. I am biased towards snes. So I would suggest any mario title or donkey kong. You could try Goof Troop. Again, depending on age I may not recommend Zelda or goof troop because of the puzzles.

Sounds like fun!

hurrdurr
12-16-2014, 12:41 AM
Maybe try something like this?

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/store/product/sega-reg-genesis-classic-game-console/1041692592

FixedGear
12-16-2014, 08:26 AM
get a hacked Wii and install NES/SNES/N64/Sega emulators on it. Or, get an Ouya and put emulators on it.

spikerS
12-16-2014, 08:56 AM
video game trader on center street and just south of 16th ave N I believe. They specialize in retro gaming systems and games.

Just have to be careful, the SNES and N64 may be incompatible with the new TVs, and you may have issues hooking them up, and then you need to find adapters and shit.

danno
12-16-2014, 09:08 AM
I ve been thinking about this lately too. But the tvs are hard to play on so I may go buy a old flat screen tube TV. I need a regular Nintendo as mine is dead. But the emulators are the way to go if you want every game.

At bed bath and beyond they have a sega with 80 games for $50. If you like sega it's the way to go.

taemo
12-16-2014, 09:17 AM
You could download a NES/SNES/GBA emulator, download a couple of ROMs and buy a USB controller (the X360 and X1 controller works great on the PC) then finally plug the PC on your TV.

Key IMO is to not give the kids too many games at once, maybe 2-3 games at a time.

Seth1968
12-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Thrift stores are an option as well.

Or, there's all sorts of sites in which you can play any retro game.

jwslam
12-16-2014, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by danno
I ve been thinking about this lately too. But the tvs are hard to play on so I may go buy a old flat screen tube TV.
I think my parents have a 22" tube (not flat) they want hauled away. Wanna come pick it up? Haha

Asian_defender
12-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Get the new Nexus Player with the controllers and download some Emulators.
Theres a couple free SNES/NES emulators in the play store. Grab a couple roms and you're good to go

Asian_defender
12-16-2014, 10:59 AM
You could also go with these at visions.

http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=633&productId=25811&sku=M01688GRAY

Alterac
12-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Agree with ^^ I would check out the Retron 5 (but be sure to run the latest update from the manufacturer)

It doesn't do N64, but it covers NES/SNES/Sega Genesis/GBx and has controller ports for original controllers, along with HDMI.

It uses the original carts and everything, much more user friendly than building an emulator system, etc.

Robin Goodfellow
12-16-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks for everyone's replies!

I like the sega console - Mostly for Sonic, which I know is a pretty popular game.

The hyperkin is pretty cool, but but more machine and cost than I'm looking for.

But these two items lead me to thinking and searching for similar alternatives.

Came across a SNES kockoff at future shop. And I'm thinking that Mario World (I think that's the game), is just perfect. $55.

I can't find any pokemon titles for SNES/NES... but if you folks are aware of any conceptually similar games, I'd appreciate recommendations.

Also, kudos to the person who suggested getting a few titles at a time... A very wise suggestion in many ways.

Thanks tons!

Robin Goodfellow
12-16-2014, 11:27 AM
I've settled on Hyperkin RetroN 3 (NES/SNES/Genesis) from FS. $69.

Can get Mario... Sonic... and I'm excited, as kinda skipped over this part as a kid myself!

Edit: Reviews show lots of A/V quality issued with the Retron3. Will go with the Retrobit from Futureshop... Does snes/nes, which is good enough...

Seth1968
12-16-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
Don't want to go straight to the latest and greatest current consoles, as that would be like crack, and none of us would ever leave the house again.

Originally posted by Robin Goodfellow
I'm excited, as kinda skipped over this part as a kid myself!

It begins:)

DeeK
12-16-2014, 12:53 PM
As a huge retro gamer there are a few things I should point out.

Most of these new "retro systems" coming out that have ports for all the old games, have terrible input lag. Even on an old tube TV, it's terrible. for any action style game, it's completely unplayable. However they work fine for RPG's or slow paced games. Like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Retro-Video-System-Nintendo-Entertainment/dp/B0012NZK8G

My recommendation. Spend some money on a cheap computer, get a good controller and rock the emulators. They do have input lag, but not nearly as much. The only better option I've found is the original machines.

syscal
12-16-2014, 01:23 PM
47GPyX80Pk8

EDIT :: Better one

OAUcTq2TUUU

ZEDGE
12-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Check out the sunny side flea market. Loads of this stuff there. At the sunny side community centre.

jwslam
12-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE
Check out the sunny side flea market. Loads of this stuff there. At the sunny side community centre.
Why would anyone wanna go there? You can only drive 30 in the area :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ercchry
12-16-2014, 03:12 PM
i'd just get a wii with the classic remote, can download pretty much all the classics from the wii store, sega, nes, super nes, n64, etc, etc... then of course the wii games would be the next step in this anyways, great kid friendly games on that system including a more modern mario party

Robin Goodfellow
12-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
i'd just get a wii with the classic remote, can download pretty much all the classics from the wii store, sega, nes, super nes, n64, etc, etc... then of course the wii games would be the next step in this anyways, great kid friendly games on that system including a more modern mario party

Interesting option!

I will investigate.

ZEDGE
12-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Why would anyone wanna go there? You can only drive 30 in the area :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

lol.. Seriously though. There a guy there who sells new games and blue Rays too. $15-$20 less than store prices. Along with many stalls with containers full of old games and consoles. Place is a treasure chests for that shit.

sputnik
12-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Agree with ^^ I would check out the Retron 5 (but be sure to run the latest update from the manufacturer)

It doesn't do N64, but it covers NES/SNES/Sega Genesis/GBx and has controller ports for original controllers, along with HDMI.

It uses the original carts and everything, much more user friendly than building an emulator system, etc.

Doesn't the Retron require you to have the original carts?

Or can you load ROMS onto it?

I know there are also these...

http://www.melbournegeek.com/v2/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/powerpak-feat-thumb.jpg

but at $150 + a CF card it doesn't really seem worth the money compared to a Raspberry Pi with a couple of USB controllers.

Originally posted by rage2
But... but... ILLEGAL PIRACY!

Alterac
12-16-2014, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Doesn't the Retron require you to have the original carts?

Or can you load ROMS onto it?

I know there are also these...

http://www.melbournegeek.com/v2/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/powerpak-feat-thumb.jpg

but at $150 + a CF card it doesn't really seem worth the money compared to a Raspberry Pi with a couple of USB controllers.

Yea, the Retron 5 requires the original cartridges, and will not work with those powerpaks/everdrives.

It technically just dumps the cart to a rom, and plays the rom.

A Powerpak / Everdrive requires dynamic realtime rewriting of the memory to re-load into the right rom from the menu system.