PDA

View Full Version : Wildrose-PC merger in the works???

16hypen3sp
12-16-2014, 12:16 AM
According to "sources."

http://globalnews.ca/news/1728856/wildrose-pc-merger-could-be-on-albertas-horizon-sources/

ExtraSlow
12-16-2014, 07:26 AM
Jesus, we'll be going from two "conservative" parties which are unpalatable for different reasons to one, which is unstoppable, and twice as unpalatable.

I don't like this.

01RedDX
12-16-2014, 07:40 AM

Sugarphreak
12-16-2014, 07:40 AM

Sugarphreak
12-16-2014, 07:44 AM

killramos
12-16-2014, 08:03 AM
So will this result in the Conservative Party of Alberta?

Fitting with Prentice at the helm... This would nicely stroke his ego.

Seth1968
12-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Kind of like Reform all over again.

Love or hate the Wildrose party, but admittedly there an awesome opposition party.

hampstor
12-16-2014, 03:06 PM
It's not a merger of the parties - it's floor crossing.

Edit: removed list so I don't get the media msging me. Lol.

Xtrema
12-16-2014, 04:10 PM
I knew Prentice is taking PC to more right but I have never predicted Wildrose will fold so quick as a result.

Cos
12-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Masked Bandit
12-16-2014, 04:39 PM
I think WR saw the writing on the wall. They had no realistic chance of forming government for at least the next six years. Their best shot was against Redford in 2012 and even that was a miserable failure. They're like that crazy chick in High School that was fun to date for a week or two but you sure wouldn't want to be married to.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

16hypen3sp
12-16-2014, 09:33 PM
Word is 7 planning to cross. Smith is one.

Maxt
12-16-2014, 09:45 PM
One of seven was rumored to be Pat Stier, but looks like not so:
http://www.patstier.com/articles/155-mla-pat-stiers-decision

benyl
12-16-2014, 10:32 PM
I love how Smith basically called Kerry Towle a traitor last month (saying you think you "know someone") and now she is doing the same thing by crossing over.

rx7_turbo2
12-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by benyl
I love how Smith basically called Kerry Towle a traitor last month (saying you think you "know someone") and now she is doing the same thing by crossing over.

No doubt, it'll be interesting to see how this unfolds, and what type of a spin is put on it.

kertejud2
12-16-2014, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968
Kind of like Reform all over again.

Love or hate the Wildrose party, but admittedly there an awesome opposition party.

Awesome opposition parties don't get shut out of by-elections and then face extinction soon after.

They are an amazingly shitty political party to accomplish as little as they have with the position they had.

Maxt
12-17-2014, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by kertejud2

Awesome opposition parties don't get shut out of by-elections and then face extinction soon after.

They are an amazingly shitty political party to accomplish as little as they have with the position they had.
Like taking down 2 of the last premiers..::nut:

Masked Bandit
12-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by benyl

I've never trusted Smith. She's always come off as two-faced to me.

killramos
12-17-2014, 08:43 AM
They are politicians.

Smith was probably offered a place in Cabinet and considered potential future premiership. She will take that offer all day every day even if it means joining the liberals.

The sooner people realize that our system isn't as reliant on "parties" the better they will be for it.

Elect your personal representative, trust that they will do everything in their power to appropriately represent you for the next 4 years.

Maybe Prentice offered high river more flood money or something... Regardless of her status as party leader as representative of high river she has to take that!

Just my opinion of course.

kertejud2
12-17-2014, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Maxt

Like taking down 2 of the last premiers..::nut:

They lost. Badly.

Parties shouldn't be able to re-load twice and win majorities and sweep by-elections at their lowest popularity.

The provincial Liberals and NDP oversaw at least three premier changes in my lifetime alone, what amazing opposition :rolleyes:

kaput
12-17-2014, 05:23 PM

Masked Bandit
12-17-2014, 05:43 PM
What a bunch of worthless, gutless snakes.

16hypen3sp
12-17-2014, 08:00 PM
The WiltedRose Alliance.

Tik-Tok
12-17-2014, 08:05 PM
I always felt that the Wildrose party, was just like a small startup company, who's entire goal is to be just barely enough competition, to get bought out by a larger corporation.

16hypen3sp
12-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Damn... Rod Fox crossed.

rx7_turbo2
12-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I always felt that the Wildrose party, was just like a small startup company, who's entire goal is to be just barely enough competition, to get bought out by a larger corporation.

Good analogy.

Xtrema
12-17-2014, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
What a bunch of worthless, gutless snakes.

Same goes to those who took them in.l

sxtasy
12-18-2014, 12:40 AM
Our political system is a fucking joke, I'm voting either green party, or communist party, going to flip a coin

Masked Bandit
12-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Damn... Rod Fox crossed.

Does he cover your riding?

Inzane
12-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Same goes to those who took them in.l

On that note, why did the PC party even want Danielle Smith... What does she bring?

killramos
12-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Inzane

On that note, why did the PC party even want Danielle Smith... What does she bring?

For their clueless out of touch brains that don't understand the consequences of actions?

"grassroots support"

Not to mention if she stayed there is always a chance she could rally against them and ruin a future majority.

She had to be removed. Similar to Jack Layton with the NDP. She is actually good at garnering support. Regardless of how the last couple Calgary by-elections went.

But all that went out the window when she crossed. The thing she had was trust. Now its gone. :dunno:

Masked Bandit
12-18-2014, 10:02 AM
The more I think about this the more I think the PCs should have rejected every last on for the WR people. The PCs already have a commanding majority so they don't need the seats. The could have published the full this of those that asked to cross the floor thereby discrediting them to such an extent that they would never get re-elected and that way, the PCs don't look like they are okay with taking in traitors. The PCs would most likely win back all of those seats in the next election which I think happens in 2016?

Tik-Tok
12-18-2014, 10:06 AM
The PCs would most likely win back all of those seats in the next election which I think happens in 2016?

But now they win them all back. It's not like any other party stands a chance here.

G
12-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Sheila Taylor must be livid now...Smith probably sweet talked her into giving up her cushy school board position to run as a WR now she has nothing.

Xtrema
12-18-2014, 10:52 AM
The more I think about this the more I think the PCs should have rejected every last on for the WR people. The PCs already have a commanding majority so they don't need the seats. The could have published the full this of those that asked to cross the floor thereby discrediting them to such an extent that they would never get re-elected and that way, the PCs don't look like they are okay with taking in traitors. The PCs would most likely win back all of those seats in the next election which I think happens in 2016?

I don't get it either. Do PC think letting them cross buy them creds? Or simply they have nothing to lose and all to gain anyway?

Seth1968
12-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I dont mind W/R as the opposition. If they could just settle in to being a good one I think a lot of people would be happy.

A good one at what exactly?

I've never seen a Federal or Provincial opposition party as as effective as the WR. They've exposed a litany of corruption and "theft' in the PC party. They were responsible for the take down of 2 of Alberta's useless premiers.

Note that the defectors have been promised prominent positions in the PC party.

Seth1968
12-18-2014, 12:24 PM

It's a matter of perception.

The PC's accepted them, as not doing so would be deemed as stubborn and intolerant. Especially when the WR exposed everything, and the PC's adopted many WR's suggestions.

Masked Bandit
12-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

But now they win them all back. It's not like any other party stands a chance here.

By getting into bed with snakes & traitors.

If they would have simply waited until 2016 they could have done it cleanly.

revelations
12-18-2014, 12:48 PM
Someone must have offered the WR crossers a crap ton of money or perks. No doubt in a few years all the sad details will be leaked out and the PC party will be in turmoil again.

One party should not have 40 years of reign, that's just a recipe for entitlement and waste. :dunno:

Ca_Silvia13
12-18-2014, 12:52 PM

If they would have simply waited until 2016 they could have done it cleanly.

I agree, i did view the party to be in that bad of shape they couldn't last another year. This is just stupid and frustrating for all Albertans.

JustinL
12-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Though not a WildRose supporter, I was glad to see some opposition. The other thing I'm thankful for is that the WR party didn't fold and some stayed behind. The PCs need to feel some threat otherwise like revelations said, it breeds entitlement. With a good leader, and a couple years to rebuild before the next election, the WR could really hammer the PCs and floor crossers on a number of big issues. The opportunity is there for them to rebuild if they can get their poop together.

Go after the floor crossers on their selfishness and defeatist attitude. Go after the PCs in general for the Redford era and social conservatism. It's a straightforward strategy if they can regroup. Prentice is also going to have to manage a few different factions within his own party, the opposition should pick at that wound too.

kertejud2
12-18-2014, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Someone must have offered the WR crossers a crap ton of money or perks. No doubt in a few years all the sad details will be leaked out and the PC party will be in turmoil again.

We'll find out the cost when the next cabinet shuffle is done.

killramos
12-18-2014, 01:43 PM

We'll find out the cost when the next cabinet shuffle is done.

I hope Prentice gives them nothing and they all fade into nothingness.

Sign a contract as to if you join the party i will make you a cabinet member?

That doesn't sound legal so i doubt that will happen. You certainly cant pay them off either.

Prentice doesn't owe them shit and i hope he reminds them of that.

revelations
12-18-2014, 02:44 PM
^ it wouldnt be something that sinister. More like "here is some more cash to your riding in order to help you get reelected in 2016".

Seth1968
12-18-2014, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by killramos

That doesn't sound legal so i doubt that will happen. You certainly cant pay them off either.

None of this shit should even be a discussion.

This is what you people call a Democracy?

kertejud2
12-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by killramos

It would seem unlikely to me that Smith would give up the position as Leader of the Opposition and the nice salary bump that goes along with it without at least some back room assurances she'd have a seat at the table, but as you say there certainly wouldn't be anything official in the works. Though only Smith and Anderson are cabinet material at this point.

Though we could very well see what you suggest, at least until after an election.

Seth1968
12-18-2014, 03:20 PM
'back room assurances".

That's a given for at least Smith.

Open door...accountability...

Except when...

killramos
12-18-2014, 03:26 PM

It would seem unlikely to me that Smith would give up the position as Leader of the Opposition and the nice salary bump that goes along with it without at least some back room assurances she'd have a seat at the table, but as you say there certainly wouldn't be anything official in the works. Though only Smith and Anderson are cabinet material at this point.

Though we could very well see what you suggest, at least until after an election.

What I am saying is that if there was a "deal" in place i think Prentice should walk away from it to teach her a lesson. She cant make him do shit. And now that she alienated her following she has no more political capital anyways.

Seth1968
12-18-2014, 03:35 PM
Prentice to teach her a lesson?

As if Prentice and many others weren't aware of (and participated in) the theft from the people.

Seth1968
12-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by JustinL
Though not a WildRose supporter, I was glad to see some opposition. The other thing I'm thankful for is that the WR party didn't fold and some stayed behind. The PCs need to feel some threat otherwise like revelations said, it breeds entitlement. With a good leader, and a couple years to rebuild before the next election, the WR could really hammer the PCs and floor crossers on a number of big issues. The opportunity is there for them to rebuild if they can get their poop together.

Go after the floor crossers on their selfishness and defeatist attitude. Go after the PCs in general for the Redford era and social conservatism. It's a straightforward strategy if they can regroup. Prentice is also going to have to manage a few different factions within his own party, the opposition should pick at that wound too.

+1 to all of that.

It's my understanding that the WR are sitting on even further PC corruption, but it was suppressed by the main defectors.

Regardless. The NPD and Liberals are useless. Without an effective opposition, we're going into a further lack of Democracy.

Cos
12-18-2014, 04:18 PM

Xtrema
12-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Cos
What is sad is that she didn't realize that being in power is not the end goal. Being a politician who can become re-elected, even if she is 'just' the leader of the official opposition would not have been a bad thing. She could have had a long run and done well as the opposition. Now I think she has shot herself in both feet.

No she won't.

She shot WR in the face and left. Now who are you going to vote for in High River? The dirty Liberals? Or a WR candidates that WR has less than 1 year to organize?

She knows switching means job is secured for 5 years and may even have a cabinet position of the deal.

Because if Albertans are so forgiving voting Prentice just months after Alison is ousted, a year is an eternity and everyone will forget.

Cos
12-18-2014, 04:53 PM

ExtraSlow
12-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Danielle will do fine out of this. Some voters will be mad, but honestly, those were the people she wanted to get away from anyway. PC's will do fine, Danielle will do fine. Democracy will not. it's the Alberta Advantage!

Thales of Miletus
12-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Democracy will not. it's the Alberta Advantage!

I thought the Alberta advantage was Serfdom?

duaner
12-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Former Wildrose leader Danielle Smith has revealed that one of the major reasons she left her party and defected to the Tories was because of a crucial vote that occurred at the party’s annual meeting.

Smith says that the gathered Wildrose members in Red Deer on November 15 voted down a proposed anti-discrimination statement.

She claims the proposal was nixed because a group inside the party wanted to teach her a lesson for walking in a Gay Pride Parade.

Read more: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/smith-says-wildrose-wanted-to-teach-her-a-lesson-1.2155210#ixzz3MMSdriTT

killramos
12-19-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by duaner

Horse shit.

She is already calling the WRP bigots :rofl:

Prentice has taught her well.

revelations
12-21-2014, 06:49 PM
I dont really like Ezra, but this was a decent roasting.

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/3953114766001

Seth1968
12-21-2014, 07:06 PM

I watched about half. I couldn't stand no more.

Ezra RULED her.

Democracy :rofl:

Thales of Miletus
12-22-2014, 05:58 PM

No one likes Ezra. imo he is cut from the same cloth as Ted Cruz.

But he is right about the corruption in the PC party.

It is time to vote for anyone but the conservative, simply to give a party five years to clean the skeletons out of the closets.

The conservatives have a tendency to say things that we like to hear, but have really screwed the pooch in their management of the Alberta economy.

The last effective Conservative leader was Lougheed, and that was far to long ago.