PDA

View Full Version : Touareg and X5

youngdoc
12-17-2014, 11:58 AM
I'm looking for an SUV and these two are the ones I've narrowed it down to. I've read about the ungodly maintenance expenses on the Touareg but as far as I could tell, the threads were about the TDI.

Specifically I'm looking at either a 2008-2010 Touareg with the V6 or V8 gas engines, or a 2007-2010 X5 with the N/A inline-6 or the 4.8 V8.

My questions to you guys:
1) Have any of you owned either of these cars (~2008-2010)? And if so, how was your ownership experience? Expenses, maintenance etc? If you have numbers, that's even better.

I'm not worried about factors such as fuel economy.

Thanks all, appreciate any help.

Dumbass17
12-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by youngdoc
I'm looking for an SUV and these two are the ones I've narrowed it down to. I've read about the ungodly maintenance expenses on the Touareg but as far as I could tell, the threads were about the TDI.

Specifically I'm looking at either a 2008-2010 Touareg with the V6 or V8 gas engines, or a 2007-2010 X5 with the N/A inline-6 or the 4.8 V8.

My questions to you guys:
1) Have any of you owned either of these cars (~2008-2010)? And if so, how was your ownership experience? Expenses, maintenance etc? If you have numbers, that's even better.

I'm not worried about factors such as fuel economy.

Thanks all, appreciate any help.

I'm not sure if I'm much help, but I bought a 2006 X5, 4.4i V8 and it has almost all the options and I LOVE this thing. But I'm also coming from a Dodge Caliber.

I've been pretty lucky with mine so far, I picked it up with only 93,500kms at the end of August. It went in a month later for a leaking waterpump, which I think is why the previous owner sold it. Anyways, that was fixed and it's been great since. Uhm, I'm just kind of blabbing and not really helping so I'll stop now.

Ok, and yeah, as far as I know, the maintenance/repairs for both vehicles can be really expensive, but I dunno, depends on how you drive it/how the previous owner treated it etc. So many factors come into play...

Good luck

/useless post :poosie:

Skrilla
12-17-2014, 12:43 PM
I had a 09 V6 Touareg a few years ago. Mine was the (3.6?) V6, optioned out. I had bought it with 23k kms on it, certified yada yada from local vw dealer. IIRC we had it about 8 months, and it was in the shop at least a month of that time.

We had issues with the brakes, they screeched hard under braking, VW dealer told me this is how all touaregs are :banghead: . It started to develop a harsh idle when temps were above 15C. They electronics were a mess, radio wouldnt work, heated seats quit. There was a few other minor things I cant remember.

All in all, it was a terrible experience, I had bought it for the GF, and we traded it on shortly after. The dealer experience was brutal if that matters, it is not the first time I have dealt with them, but for sure the last (medicine hat dealer)

Hope that helps :)

bourge73
12-17-2014, 12:47 PM
doesnt the Toureg basically have you pull
the motor for everything? Heard $10000 repair
bill horror stories on them. Personally I d never
Touch either of them.

InRich
12-17-2014, 12:49 PM
I'll sell you my 2011 X5 M package individual if you want an x5. I'd be upgrading to the X5M if you bought mine.

that is if the price is right. offer me something. 66k on it. mint mint mint

JustinL
12-17-2014, 01:11 PM
I have an 08 VR6 Touareg. When I was shopping I wanted enough towing capacity to pull a race car on an open trailer and the Treg with the towing option has a higher rating than the X5. It also has to do dual duty as a daily commuter for my wife.

The VR6 engine is a pretty well proven lump and I do all my own maintenance, so that really helps keep the costs down. So far it's just been consumables like brakes and oil changes. Parts are reasonable to buy online and so far it's been easy to wrench on.

Things that piss me off on it: It's overly complex. The oil filter is in the worst place and I get soaked every time I change it. The drive by wire throttle tries to understand what I want, but rarely gets it right. It's either twitchy or unresponsive, but I've learned to drive around that. The curve lights burn out all the friggen time and I've just given up on changing them.

Things that I love: The 4wd program is awesome and it's a very safe vehicle for my wife. Towing a 4X4 dodge diesel out of a ditch has been the highlight of ownership so far. Hooked up the rope, lock up the diffs, put it in low range and dragged the truck up on to the road.

Edit- I'm at 120,000km now on it.

irs
12-17-2014, 01:35 PM
I have owned a 2006, 2009, 2011 BMW and now own a 2014. All have been under warranty and had no issues with them. Any issues I did have were taken care of warranty.

All the bmw's have have only had minor repairs, like sunroof or squeeks. other than that the vehicles have ran very smooth. No issues mechanically.

I have tried other cars and suv's and once you get a BMW that's the end of the line, you want to stay as a BMW owner.

Service is great they get your car in and out in a timely mannor, for $25 you can get a loaner.

If you need a really good BMW sales person let me know. Knows lots about the cars and can find what you need.

youngdoc
12-17-2014, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the help all.

I've always had a soft spot for the Touareg but all those maintenance horror stories steered me away. I wasn't sure if people were just anti-VW though since some say that MkV/VI GTIs, Golfs, Jettas are unreliable when, in my experience, they've been great cars.

Another reason I'm leaning towards the Touareg is due to the awesome service George at Tunedub provides. In fact, I have an appt booked tomorrow. I'll ask his opinion on it.

A couple others I had my eye on were the Q5 and the 4Runner. Can't really go wrong with Toyota reliability but it seems kinda boring - I haven't driven either of these two though. You guys have experience with the Q5?

shakalaka
12-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Had a 2008 X5, absolutely no issues with it at all. Would recommend it without any hesitation.

Kloubek
12-17-2014, 02:57 PM
So, you're looking at the Touareg but not the Cayenne? Just curious why that is....

bspot
12-17-2014, 03:12 PM
Touregs are the best looking out of the bunch, but this thread makes them sound kinda scary... haha

youngdoc
12-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Had a 2008 X5, absolutely no issues with it at all. Would recommend it without any hesitation.

Which engine was it?

Originally posted by Kloubek
So, you're looking at the Touareg but not the Cayenne? Just curious why that is.....

Mostly anecdotal reasons such as I prefer the looks (interior and exterior) of the Touareg, Cayennes have more of a soccer-mom vibe etc haha.

I like the Turbo though but it's a bit excessive for my needs.

InRich
12-17-2014, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
So, you're looking at the Touareg but not the Cayenne? Just curious why that is....

cause the Cayenne is ugly as fuck... :barf:

shakalaka
12-17-2014, 04:31 PM

Which engine was it?

Mostly anecdotal reasons such as I prefer the looks (interior and exterior) of the Touareg, Cayennes have more of a soccer-mom vibe etc haha.

I like the Turbo though but it's a bit excessive for my needs.

That was actually the third X5 that we had owned at that point, all purchased brand new. Neither of them had any issues. The 2008 one we sold last year for around $26-$28K and it had mileage under 100K km's I believe.

Dumbass17
12-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Toureg is girly as:poosie:

FullFledgedYYC
12-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
Toureg is girly as:poosie:

Funny, when I am in NW Calgary the only people I see behind X5's are middle aged asian women....

E46..sTyLez
12-18-2014, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC

Funny, when I am in NW Calgary the only people I see behind X5's are middle aged asian women....

I don't think you'll have any trouble bashing X5 drivers after that Calgary's worst driver video haha

youngdoc
12-18-2014, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by E46..sTyLez

I don't think you'll have any trouble bashing X5 drivers after that Calgary's worst driver video haha

Haha, wasn't that an X3?

Dumbass17
12-18-2014, 12:25 PM

Haha, wasn't that an X3?

Yeah either X3 or X1 but pretty sure an X3.

FullFledgedYYC
12-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Fairly certain it was an X3. Regardless, the BMW suv lineup is hugely dominated by middle aged asian women.

btimbit
12-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
Fairly certain it was an X3. Regardless, the BMW suv lineup is hugely dominated by middle aged asian women.

That's exactly why my parents didn't buy one.

My mom: "I can't get a BMW, I'm not Chinese"

InRich
12-18-2014, 04:43 PM
^ what'a gay thing to say... cool story though.

btimbit
12-18-2014, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by InRich
^ what'a gay thing to say... cool story though.

No, "I like cock touching my cock" would be a gay thing to say.

Think you need a dictionary

killramos
12-18-2014, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

:barf:

True Story

InRich
12-18-2014, 08:59 PM

I can see that being true though. anyways.

btimbit
12-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by InRich

I can see that being true though. anyways.

http://i.imgur.com/sPwgpLj.gif

InRich
12-19-2014, 01:10 PM
^ haha!

Dumbass17
12-19-2014, 09:57 PM
I love my x5 and I'm the furthest from Asian :P

avishal26
12-19-2014, 10:27 PM

http://i.imgur.com/sPwgpLj.gif

:rofl: