PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley proves lane splitting safe.

16hypen3sp
12-19-2014, 07:00 AM
Was this posted back in October somewhere and I missed it?

What's you guys' thoughts on this?

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/uc-berkeley-study-on-lane-splitting

http://ca.autoblog.com/2014/10/24/berkeley-findings-says-motorcycle-lane-splitting-safer-than-ever/

My thoughts... Should have been legal long ago. Other drivers emotional reactions to a motorcycle "cutting in line" at a red light are always going to be a problem.

spikerS
12-19-2014, 07:20 AM
http://armstrongeconomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Dead-Horse.jpg

ExtraSlow
12-19-2014, 07:37 AM
http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/00000/1000/800/1812/1812.strip.gif

killramos
12-19-2014, 07:59 AM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--kiUeASR3--/z4ulgkpfx1iuhvaz5e4q.gif

bjstare
12-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Lane splitting is the shit. That was my favorite part about riding in California. Well that, and the PCH haha.

Masked Bandit
12-19-2014, 09:52 AM
As preached to me when I was learning to drive:

"It doesn't matter who is in the right if you're dead" - R.L.E. aka, my Dad.

blairtruck
12-19-2014, 09:57 AM
i think splitting at the red light at slow speed should be ok. but not while actually driving thou.
i think there would be a lot of dead young drivers if splitting at high speeds was legal.

coming from a person who has never ever sat on a running motorcycle in my life.

Masked Bandit
12-19-2014, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck
i think splitting at the red light at slow speed should be ok. but not while actually driving thou.
i think there would be a lot of dead young drivers if splitting at high speeds was legal.

coming from a person who has never ever sat on a running motorcycle in my life.

That's commonly referred to as filtering and yes, when the general public is on board it's very effective. You see it a lot in developing countries where there are a lot of scooter and other small displacement bikes. Everyone moves to the front and when the light turns green they all take off faster than the four wheeled vehicles thereby creating more room. I think allowing filtering could even work here during our short season.

japan_us
12-19-2014, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
Lane splitting is the shit. That was my favorite part about riding in California. Well that, and the PCH haha.

Yep, same experience riding in Cali. Coming from here, the first few lane splits felt a bit weird, but after that it felt very natural and made riding a lot more enjoyable.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
...You see it a lot in developing countries where there are a lot of scooter and other small displacement bikes. Everyone moves to the front and when the light turns green they all take off faster than the four wheeled vehicles thereby creating more room...

Best place I've seen this in action was Barcelona. Even with very dense traffic, it was amazingly effective. I remember standing at intersections just to watch - it was impressive.

japan_us
12-19-2014, 12:51 PM
*edit: double post

Rocket1k78
12-19-2014, 01:08 PM
I've done the lane splitting in LA and its awesome to get through rush hour and for the most part people move over for you but it wasnt exactly a simple task sometimes. Its beyond scary at first and for an inexperienced rider this would def be a no no. I had a bmw s1k on my ass and i had to stop splitting because there was 2 pick ups in front who werent moving over, sure enough the s1k passed me and went through and actually clipped the trucks mirrors with his, the bike kept going and i could see the truck was pissed.

I would love to see this be legal here but i doubt that'll ever happen. The good thing is our traffic here is not that bad. If you think its bad go drive in la for 3 days anytime of the day and you'll see we have it really good traffic wise.

blairtruck
12-19-2014, 02:01 PM
people wont even let you pass or merge in a car/truck. imagine what people would do if they seen you coming up the middle of the 2 lanes. it would infuriate most people in rush hour as you are just sitting there and bikes are cruising on by.

16hypen3sp
12-19-2014, 10:04 PM
I emailed the government with the links to the study and what not.

Response:

Thank you for your provincial government web inquiry.

Alberta Transportation is not considering changes in legislation to permit lane splitting. Given the short riding season in Alberta and the increased risk faced by riders due to their reduced visibility and greater vulnerability, the safety risks outweigh any benefits to increased traffic flow. Also, as the practice is uncommon in North America, other road users in the province would not be accustomed to it and may react unpredictably.

Alberta’s Traffic Safety Plan 2015 identifies recommendations for a reduction in collisions amongst vulnerable road users, which includes motorcycle riders.

To review the Plan, please visit

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.transportation.alberta.ca_Content_docType48_Production_TSP2015.pdf&d=AwMFAg&c=aCXjXS7ZZ-mOR1xNksNgTg&r=GxHFX3pYAHR6tWI4CKbrqqw8FM6JY3c0QFUa2mG6VC8&m=_thVArTqRpjKrbKddpg2-RoRdpRAlouBBlJKfnfMZTE&s=__1WwrHi9wtpfPOd5gTjCdbxGQFdrCmJHRGqEfC3w08&e=

adamc
12-22-2014, 01:00 AM
I filter in Calgary as much as possible, and lane split when it's safe to do so (when deerfoot is a parking lot in the summer, for example).

Never faster than 15-20km/hr for lanesplitting here though, Calgary drivers be fucking loco.

Tik-Tok
12-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by adamc
Calgary drivers be fucking loco.

Seriously. I can't believe any rider would WANT to do anything like that in this city. Pretty much just playing russian roulette, it's only a matter of time before you encounter a white bmw x3.

bjstare
12-22-2014, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
I've done the lane splitting in LA and its awesome to get through rush hour and for the most part people move over for you but it wasnt exactly a simple task sometimes. Its beyond scary at first and for an inexperienced rider this would def be a no no. I had a bmw s1k on my ass and i had to stop splitting because there was 2 pick ups in front who werent moving over, sure enough the s1k passed me and went through and actually clipped the trucks mirrors with his, the bike kept going and i could see the truck was pissed.

Gotta fold your mirrors in when you're in LA traffic. When the widest part of your bike is the bars, you can get through some pretty tight squeezes haha

jacky4566
12-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Valiant effort 16hypen3sp but i don't think its going to happen. I'm surprised Alberta Transport was gracious enough to give you a response.

Its also a poor comparison with Asia cities for 2 reasons:
1. They mostly ride scooters and small 125/250 bikes. North America? Harley, 1000 sport bikes, 1200 duel sports. Our bikes are not small by any means.
2. Bike constitute a large share of transportation. When its common practise to lane split it become much harder to ban.

So while I ultimately agree with you we have bigger fish to fry. Like all the old people who cant see the line or speed limits.

M.alex
12-22-2014, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Seriously. I can't believe any rider would WANT to do anything like that in this city. Pretty much just playing russian roulette, it's only a matter of time before you encounter a white bmw x3.

This; lane splitting is the last thing I'd ever attempt here.

Mibz
12-22-2014, 11:22 AM
I've ridden the shoulder a few times, and even then I kept thinking somebody was going to swerve over just to block me. Lane splitting? Not a chance.

BrknFngrs
12-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Riding where splitting is allowed is amazing, but I've seen some pretty crazy anti-bike behavior on the roads here. I had a van pull into the passing lane to block me from passing on the highway and it was on dotted lines. Still have no idea what brought that on, scared the hell out of me though!

Modelexis
12-22-2014, 12:54 PM
I filter a handfull of times in the summer at lights with a gridlock of cars. Last time I did it I got honked at and yelled at...shortly after I noticed I was coming up on a police van so I pulled into a gap and got back in line. The cop didn't even notice me pull in. Its good for a quick rush, keeps things interesting.

adamc
12-22-2014, 07:45 PM
I love how these retards honk and yell, and some even try to pull out in front of you when filtering.

It's like, really? You're going to threaten to fucking KILL me for getting ahead of you in a lineup of cars? :dunno:

Don't people understand filtering reduces congestion?

It's safer for me to be sitting out front, where I can take off and be completely out of harm's way, than in between several thousand pounds of metal, if something goes wrong. If I ever get a pulled over for filtering I'm going to claim the driver behind me was motioning like he was going to hit me and I felt for my life.

16hypen3sp
12-22-2014, 07:54 PM
http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj186/manandmachinex411/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6b59c507.jpg (http://s272.photobucket.com/user/manandmachinex411/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps6b59c507.jpg.html)

16hypen3sp
12-22-2014, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Valiant effort 16hypen3sp but i don't think its going to happen. I'm surprised Alberta Transport was gracious enough to give you a response.

Its also a poor comparison with Asia cities for 2 reasons:
1. They mostly ride scooters and small 125/250 bikes. North America? Harley, 1000 sport bikes, 1200 duel sports. Our bikes are not small by any means.
2. Bike constitute a large share of transportation. When its common practise to lane split it become much harder to ban.

So while I ultimately agree with you we have bigger fish to fry. Like all the old people who cant see the line or speed limits.

I agree. It's not going to happen. The biggest argument I see is the drivers reacting negatively to a motorcyclist passing them and cutting to the front of line at a red light. Like some others on here, I have seen some hate directed towards riders with all out slander being directed at sport riders and Harley riders. It is a shame.

On another note, I have had some good luck with AB Transportation in terms of communication. I have always got a response back when I email except for once... and they have lasted through a good few debates over the phone as well.

krprice84
04-09-2015, 01:51 PM
Figure I'll weigh in....

I think lane splitter, while really cool, and something I'd like to be ABLE to do, isn't something I WOULD do. Just too much risk... way too many idiots on our roads to trust that someone isn't going to do a real quick lane change without seeing you. Yes, they might even check their mirrors, but human brains adapt to what they are used to. When you're used to looking for cars, a motorcycle can disappear in your vision real easily. Should it be legal though? Sure it should - government needs to get the hell out of our lives, and stop telling us we need to live in a padded room. My life, my rules... Libertarian government is what we need.

As for filtering, I think it's brilliant. I hate being stuck in front of some idiot who thinks that because I'm on a bike, he can come up within a foot of my back tire. Drives me insane. Almost kicked out a few headlights.... Filtering should totally be made legal, and I can see no reason it's not safe, other than the obvious (which is that drivers are fu*king retards and I could easily see someone deciding that "that damn biker isn't getting in front of me" and pulling over to stop/squish you.

I've filtered a few times, and always get dirty looks. One person rolled down their window to get mad at me, so I stopped beside them and asked why they are mad. They told me that it's not right that I'm just "budging" in line. I said to them "so you're upset because I am going in front of you, when it's not affecting you or slowing you down in any way at all?" Their response was "it's still not fair, if I'm stuck here, then why should you be able to go". I told them "because I'm on a bike, stop being an ass hat and enjoy your cookout in your cage".... others have been better about it though, but there's always that one.

Should it all be legal? Yes. If I'm not risking someone else's injury or life, then yes. Would I do it? Probably not often, for lane splitting, and probably often for filtering.

Traffic_Cop
05-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by krprice84
Figure I'll weigh in....

I think lane splitter, while really cool, and something I'd like to be ABLE to do, isn't something I WOULD do. Just too much risk... way too many idiots on our roads to trust that someone isn't going to do a real quick lane change without seeing you. Yes, they might even check their mirrors, but human brains adapt to what they are used to. When you're used to looking for cars, a motorcycle can disappear in your vision real easily. Should it be legal though? Sure it should - government needs to get the hell out of our lives, and stop telling us we need to live in a padded room. My life, my rules... Libertarian government is what we need.

As for filtering, I think it's brilliant. I hate being stuck in front of some idiot who thinks that because I'm on a bike, he can come up within a foot of my back tire. Drives me insane. Almost kicked out a few headlights.... Filtering should totally be made legal, and I can see no reason it's not safe, other than the obvious (which is that drivers are fu*king retards and I could easily see someone deciding that "that damn biker isn't getting in front of me" and pulling over to stop/squish you.

I've filtered a few times, and always get dirty looks. One person rolled down their window to get mad at me, so I stopped beside them and asked why they are mad. They told me that it's not right that I'm just "budging" in line. I said to them "so you're upset because I am going in front of you, when it's not affecting you or slowing you down in any way at all?" Their response was "it's still not fair, if I'm stuck here, then why should you be able to go". I told them "because I'm on a bike, stop being an ass hat and enjoy your cookout in your cage".... others have been better about it though, but there's always that one.

Should it all be legal? Yes. If I'm not risking someone else's injury or life, then yes. Would I do it? Probably not often, for lane splitting, and probably often for filtering.
Stay in your lane, do it slow & safe, no regulatory law against it. Remember drivers hate it, and are not used to it.
Ride safe!

egmilano
05-28-2015, 09:56 PM
I love it and I don't even ride.... Its so annoying when assholes try to match my speed to keep a bike from passing them, Lane slitting may dangerous at high speeds but if it can be done safely with a good amount of room why the heck not !

Filtering is awesome, definitely relieves congestion. I mean come on the bike is obviously going to pass your vehicle anyway why not let them lead the way and fish out radar!

msommers
05-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by adamc
I love how these retards honk and yell, and some even try to pull out in front of you when filtering.

It's like, really? You're going to threaten to fucking KILL me for getting ahead of you in a lineup of cars? :dunno:

Don't people understand filtering reduces congestion?

It's safer for me to be sitting out front, where I can take off and be completely out of harm's way, than in between several thousand pounds of metal, if something goes wrong. If I ever get a pulled over for filtering I'm going to claim the driver behind me was motioning like he was going to hit me and I felt for my life.

Welcome to Alberta. It's full of arrogant and ignorant morons.

It's a prime example why most cyclists don't feel confident or safe with most cars on the road. A friend of a friend from Europe said it's too dangerous to have a motorbike in this city and gave up on it. All the bike schools teach you to ride very defensively in the city, as in automatically assume drivers don't ever see you. It's pathetic!

16hypen3sp
05-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
no regulatory law against it.

Can you explain in greater detail? Are you saying I could hop on my bike right now and go filter at red lights?

Rocket1k78
05-29-2015, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by msommers

Welcome to Alberta. It's full of arrogant and ignorant morons.

It's a prime example why most cyclists don't feel confident or safe with most cars on the road. A friend of a friend from Europe said it's too dangerous to have a motorbike in this city and gave up on it. All the bike schools teach you to ride very defensively in the city, as in automatically assume drivers don't ever see you. It's pathetic!

This pretty much sums up why lane splitting would be a horrible idea here, too many dick drivers here. The traffics also not that bad for the most part. I've done lane splitting in LA and thats where you need it because theres bad traffic anytime of the day, for anyone that thinks we have it bad just go there and rent a car for a day(you'll think 5:00 deerfoot rush hour is a treat). Lane splitting is also not a simple task, yeah you can only do it up to 30 mph but when youre passing in between cars that are pretty much parked it can get pretty scary. I saw a guy on a s1krr hit a cars mirror and he just kept going.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

Stay in your lane, do it slow & safe, no regulatory law against it. Remember drivers hate it, and are not used to it.
Ride safe!

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

Can you explain in greater detail? Are you saying I could hop on my bike right now and go filter at red lights?

Yes, please explain.

Edit: Section 23 doesn't specifically prohibit it:

Restrictions on overtaking and passing 23 Notwithstanding anything in this Regulation, a person driving a vehicle shall not drive the vehicle so as to overtake and pass or attempt to overtake or to pass another vehicle
(a) by driving off the roadway,
(b) by driving in a parking lane, or
(c) when the act of overtaking and passing cannot be made safely.
But, it could be interpreted that Section 22(1)b/22(2)a forbids it:

22(1) A person driving a vehicle may drive the vehicle so as to overtake and pass on the right of another vehicle
(b) in the case of a one-way highway, where the roadway
(i) is of sufficient width for 2 or more lines of moving vehicles, and
(2) Where a highway has 2 or more traffic lanes on the same side of the centre line for vehicles travelling in the same direction, a person driving a vehicle that is
(a) overtaking another vehicle travelling in the same direction may pass on the right or left of the other vehicle if there is a traffic lane available for passing to the right or the left of the traffic lane being used by the vehicle being overtaken
But it could be interpreted that Section 21(1)a allows it:

21(1) Subject to section 22, a person driving a vehicle that is overtaking another vehicle
(a) shall, at a safe distance, pass to the left of the other vehicle

Source:http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Regs/2002_304.pdf
Thanks to Mibz for the help with this.

Mibz
05-29-2015, 12:31 PM
I'm not a lawyer but after going over the law I'd say there are ample ways a judge could say you've done something illegal for filtering or lane splitting.

First off, 23(a) and (b) prohibit using the shoulder, which means you need to be within a traffic lane at all times, so keep that in mind when reading the below.

21(1)(a) mentions "safe distance", which isn't specified anywhere. It's unlikely you're gonna be more than a foot from a car if you're in the same lane as them and that's an easy one to claim against you.

22(1)(b)(i) just specifies "sufficient width for 2 or more lines of moving vehicles", but a judge could easily say that "vehicle" means car and that having sufficient width for a line of cars and a line of motorcycles doesn't count.

22(2)(a) says that if there are 2 or more lanes in the same direction, there must be an available lane for you to pass somebody. If there were an available lane you wouldn't be splitting.

So yeah. It's not explicitly prohibited, but it's also not explicitly allowed, and there are a handful of ways it could be spun that you've broken the law. Not worth the risk, IMO.

rage2
05-29-2015, 12:34 PM
115(2)(f) Stunting ticket fits nicely.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-29-2015, 12:39 PM
I probably wouldn't filter unless it was explicitly stated as being allowed. I also would almost never lane split, even if that was explicitly allowed.. I don't think I'd ever trust AB drivers enough.

Mibz
05-29-2015, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by rage2
115(2)(f) Stunting ticket fits nicely. They should start handing out stunting tickets to people who merge at half the speed limit.

It startles me.

Sugarphreak
05-29-2015, 01:00 PM

Tik-Tok
05-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
So fundamentally what is the difference between motorbikes filtering/lane splitting and just taking my car and driving past people on the shoulder exactly :dunno:

I was thinking the same thing about tiny cars and parking on the sidewalk the other day. Bikes seem to be allowed to, so why not tiny iQ's, and Smartcars, etc.?

ercchry
05-29-2015, 01:15 PM
so maybe quick little small cars should be allowed to filter too?

7 second 0-100 isnt quick :rofl:

but yes, splitting lanes is awesome, LA ruined me... i just sit in traffic here fantasizing about going around it :drool:

sarcee was down to one lane the other weekend from bow to 16th... CRAWLING... i ended up just turning the bike off... but i really, really wanted to just go right down the middle... sat there for 20min :cry:

LA drivers can be just as shitty as calgary ones too... but yeah, once you get into it its pretty natural

got from where the PCH turns into the 10 heading into LA, to the SLS in beverly hills at 5pm on a friday in 15min! you need a loud bike though, just give the throttle a blip and watch the sea of traffic part. passing trucks (pickups, cubes, semis, etc) is scary though... they dont move over too often either, got to keep an eye on out of state plates and rentals too

JNGD9AAIfFU

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-29-2015, 01:18 PM
I've never ridden on the shoulder/lane split/filtered on my bike to pass cars. I've ridden with people who have, and I stayed in the lane. I've fantasized about it. The only time I did it was to pass traffic and help a car that had it's wheel fall off and block the only lane. Then we moved the car and I sat on the shoulder until traffic cleared up.

Sugarphreak
05-29-2015, 01:18 PM

ercchry
05-29-2015, 01:22 PM

It is about 2 to 3 times as fast as the average Calgarian, haha.... honestly I want to poke my eyes out with the way people accelerate up to speed here. It is lucky if they hit the speed limit by the next light!

fucking anderson between deerfoot and 24th st... i rarely get to 70km/h... even on off hours

Yeah I would literally go out and get a bike tomorrow if it became legal.... no more getting stuck behind people at light? Sign me up.

its amazing, just always moving, dont have to clutch in and out non-stop.. able to just coast too so you hit every damn green... its kind of like riding a bicycle downtown... but you dont get sweaty :rofl:

16hypen3sp
05-29-2015, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I'm not a lawyer but after going over the law I'd say there are ample ways a judge could say you've done something illegal for filtering or lane splitting.

First off, 23(a) and (b) prohibit using the shoulder, which means you need to be within a traffic lane at all times, so keep that in mind when reading the below.

21(1)(a) mentions "safe distance", which isn't specified anywhere. It's unlikely you're gonna be more than a foot from a car if you're in the same lane as them and that's an easy one to claim against you.

22(1)(b)(i) just specifies "sufficient width for 2 or more lines of moving vehicles", but a judge could easily say that "vehicle" means car and that having sufficient width for a line of cars and a line of motorcycles doesn't count.

22(2)(a) says that if there are 2 or more lanes in the same direction, there must be an available lane for you to pass somebody. If there were an available lane you wouldn't be splitting.

So yeah. It's not explicitly prohibited, but it's also not explicitly allowed, and there are a handful of ways it could be spun that you've broken the law. Not worth the risk, IMO.

Look at this though - from use of highway and rules of the road reg. Section 15 Subsection 6

(6) A person driving a vehicle shall not drive the vehicle in such a manner so that the vehicle occupies space in 2 traffic lanes

(a) except during the act of passing another vehicle or changing lanes, or
(b) unless road conditions make the use of a single traffic lane impractical.

Almost seems like its totally allowing it???

Mibz
05-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Look at this though - from use of highway and rules of the road reg. Section 15 Subsection 6

Almost seems like its totally allowing it??? My interpretation of 6a is that it was introduced to allow your car to occupy two lanes while passing somebody on a 2 lane undivided highway, where the lanes may be wide enough for you to safely keep two wheels in your lane instead of going all the way into oncoming. Or maybe when passing a bicycle or motorcycle where you only need to move 1/2 a lane over instead of doing a full lane change.

At least that's my interpretation of the spirit of that law. I doubt you'd be able to successfully use that as a defense. Even if you did, best case scenario is that you get away with it that one time and the law is quietly amended to explicitly ban it.

codetrap
06-09-2015, 09:37 AM

Tik-Tok
06-09-2015, 09:52 AM
I still just don't understand why bike riders think that they should have a special set of rules for the road.

codetrap
06-09-2015, 10:27 AM

ercchry
06-09-2015, 10:50 AM
I still just don't understand why bike riders think that they should have a special set of rules for the road.

i still dont understand the entitlement some drivers have... like today, some fucking house wife in her full sized gm suv was tailgating the guy in front of her, i was signaling to get over so i could exit the damn road and she just didnt want to let me in, i forced my way over, she changed lanes to where i was as i was exiting... and she was fucking livid!

the other day my buddy was biking (cycle) down elbow and he was approaching the light as it turned green and passed some woman in a car.. she actively went out of her way to pass him, then slow down and force him into the curb till he crashed, then she took off.

whats the point of all of this? well... when you are on something that offers 0 protection from bodily harm you take all of the precautions to NOT get hit by dumb fucking entitled drivers... including escaping between the lines of cars so they cannot rear end you, or sideswipe you cause they just cant be bothered to check their fucking mirrors. always be moving at a mildly faster pass, and dont sit waiting for someone to hit you and you'll survive.. dont? well then you are putting your life in other people's hands... and frankly they just dont give a fuck about you.

Hallowed_point
06-09-2015, 10:52 AM
^ Never thought I'd say it, but I 100% agree with erchhry on that comment.

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
I've tried filtering a few times in the past week. It's definitely a location specific thing. I've had one vehicle actively pull in to close the gap on me. So, something to watch out for. Have to admit though, yesterday it was nice and cut my commute down by a lot because I didn't have to wait for 2 lights to get through some particularly slow intersections.

Not worried about being caught by the cops?

Tik-Tok
06-09-2015, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Care to elaborate?

Lane filtering and splitting obviously, also parking on the sidewalk.

codetrap
06-10-2015, 03:11 AM

bjstare
06-10-2015, 07:12 AM

Well, if you'd notice the differences between a motorcycle and a car (there are a couple small ones if you look hard enough), it makes sense that you might not treat them exactly the same.

As it pertains to filtering, it's a win win for car drivers and bike riders alike. I don't see why some people can't understand this.
:nut:

edit: For parking on the sidewalk, I'm not entirely supportive of bikes doing this. Its easy to see why they do it, and can get away with it (again, notice the size difference. A bike is smaller than a smart car), but once you get to the point of 10 bikes sitting somewhere, it's the same as a couple cars, then you might as well be parking cars there.

LilDrunkenSmurf
06-10-2015, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

Well, if you'd notice the differences between a motorcycle and a car (there are a couple small ones if you look hard enough), it makes sense that you might not treat them exactly the same.

As it pertains to filtering, it's a win win for car drivers and bike riders alike. I don't see why some people can't understand this.
:nut:

Calgary car drivers "me-first attitude" makes it hard to see past. I know I'm guilty of this when I'm driving (not against bikes, but against other cars).