PDA

View Full Version : Honda build parts to buy or avoid?

Fly Fishin'
12-19-2014, 11:08 PM
So I am slowly buying parts for my eg6 civic and I'm wondering what parts you would buy again and what you would never touch again.

Things like those fender stiffeners just look like added weight.

Cos
12-20-2014, 10:13 AM

Fly Fishin'
12-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Daily driver right now but once we replace the old subaru next summer it will turn into a track car. I am looking at body/frame stiffening. It will need new coil overs soon. I am looking into an upgraded break set as well (running disc all around right now with the 5 lug conversion.)

At the end of the day I'm not looking to break world records just put a grin on my face in the corners.

If I go turbo I want to pick up a SOHC B18 so I can boost the cap out of it till it pops and then the current motor can go back in (I need a working motor to swap back in so me wife can't nag me lol)

Sentry
12-20-2014, 11:37 AM
When you say "track car" do you mean a racecar or just something you'll take to the occasional track day? If racecar, you'll be caging it anyway, won't need much additional chassis rigidity.

Also what is this SOHC B18 you speak of?

Team_Mclaren
12-20-2014, 11:37 AM
WWW.HONDA-TECH.COM
It seem like you need to do a lot more research before you begin.

Fly Fishin'
12-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the link, I will do some digging.

I would like to track day it a few times this summer. And I am pumped for that new badlands track as I can fish the rosebud and burn out in the same day. It won't go full track car until I have some garage space.

From what I have read the non vtech b18 is good for boosting as it is low compression and easier work on, am I right to think that no vtech means one less thing to go wrong? I am not opposed to a cheap jr suppercharger but a smaller fast spooling turbo is what I would prefer. Is a t25 or 28 the preferred choice?

From what I have read I so far this seams like a reasonably simple build but the problem is that this is all from other people's opinions so I really don't know if I am on the right track or if I have bean lead down the wrong rabbit hole.

Pain in the ass trying to figure this all out after not paying attention to honda tuning in a bout 15 years. Sorry if this turns into a hold my hand and walk my dumb ass through it thread.

sr20s14zenki
12-20-2014, 12:25 PM
You're talking about the b18b i believe, which is still DOHC. If you are looking for around 300 hp or less, a t25 will do you fine, but they are costly. I would recommend a gt2871R, but they are around 1800$. If you want a good turbo that is fairly common in the honda world, a t3/t4 -56 trim would be cheap, abundant, and still spool good.

I dont have the chart handy, but i did a turbo TYPE-R integra last year, and he made 305 whp with a t3/t4 and it was VERY responsive. That could have been from the better compression, but still..i could fry the tires into 3rd gear (=

Should be able to see this

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/ca18det240sx/th_20130808_184055_zps1d60e544.mp4 (http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t320/ca18det240sx/20130808_184055_zps1d60e544.mp4)

Fly Fishin'
12-20-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm thinking of keeping it around 230 to 250 but built for more so it lasts a bit longer, I'm a bit of a granny driver day to day...but I don't use the breaks in the corners. With 300 in such a light car is there any understeer problems in autocross coming out of sharp corners into WOT?

ShermanEF9
12-21-2014, 12:15 AM
Given your apparent lack of mechanical knowledge, i would start with a light NA build, learn some stuff, then go FI. its hard to work on something if you don't know how.

Fly Fishin'
12-21-2014, 08:06 AM
That is another option I am looking at. Either a k20 or a 1.8 with 12:1. I have build 3 motors in my life so I am not 100% clueless it's more a problem of not knowing what brands are cheap crap and what's worth the money.

tehwegz
12-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Not sure what to tell you other than no megan, dc sports, ebay no name parts, etc.

Just research, check out other people's builds and stuff on Hondatech, etc.

..*JDM Hatch*..
12-26-2014, 10:17 PM
Going off of your knowledge of tuning cars and building. I would suggest building a low budget car with cheap parts to get to know what is good and what isn't. Since the car won't actually be a "track car" I would just do simple things for now. IE: adj struts with some stiffer springs, slotted rotors with some hawk hp or hp+ and the thing will brake quite well. Then some good tires and rims. It seems like you are pretty new to the tuning world, so I would suggest starting out where everyone else did. Trial and error. Your build will be something YOU like and others may not like it. Everyone has a different feel for parts so some may say that the parts you are getting are junk and you may love them and the way they changed your car, and vise versa.

Fly Fishin'
12-26-2014, 10:35 PM
The guy one up from you answered it best for me. I'm looking for bad brands or parts they feel were not worth the shipping. But I am going to keep this project cheap just due to what it is. This lil girl wondering be winning race wars or doing 9 second quarters either lol. But if it makes me grin then mission accomplished. I will look into those hawks though thanks.

firebane
12-26-2014, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by tehwegz
Not sure what to tell you other than no megan, dc sports, ebay no name parts, etc.

Just research, check out other people's builds and stuff on Hondatech, etc.

Uh... what? Megan and DC Sports are two of the better brands out there. But to be honest 90% of the crap on the market for Honda/Acura is all the same cheap chinese crap.

You can't buy cheap parts and expect quality.

Fly Fishin'
12-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Nope, same with every adult hobby. Buy cheap African made flies and they fall apart after 2 or 3 trout. What's your take on rear stiffening? I picked up a 21mm sway bar, asr subframe plate, skunk2 LCA and the C pillar brace. With all this will a rear strut bar do anything or just add weight?

..*JDM Hatch*..
12-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Rear strut bars do work well for getting rid of unwanted chassis flex in the rear end. As for suspension upgrades, instead of dropping a decent amount on a full coil over setup I would pick up a set of koni yellows and some good springs, I used koni yellows and H&R race springs on my ek hatch. They worked very well for a strut/spring combo.

sr20s14zenki
12-27-2014, 09:44 AM
Go see Shoaib at Jdmsource if you want coilovers on a budget price. He usually has piles of the honda ones, as well as other components. Never hurts to see what hes got. Usually has clusters, steering wheels, lights, wiring, brakes, suspension, wheels, etc.