PDA

View Full Version : Red Light Ticket

firebane
12-22-2014, 10:02 AM
I am looking for a bit of advice regarding how to handle this. I normally don't care about tickets and will just pay them because its my own vehicle.

But recently got a red light ticket while using a company vehicle and with this ticket I plan to go to court over it. I have never been to court for any traffic tickets ever and don't have the foggiest clue what to expect or to even do?

I know I'm going to plead not guilty as I honestly don't remember that day but the situation of the ticket itself is very odd and doesn't make sense.

Kloubek
12-22-2014, 10:05 AM
So you're defense is "I can't remember that day"?

Good luck with that.

firebane
12-22-2014, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
So you're defense is "I can't remember that day"?

Good luck with that.

No obviously not. My defense is that I was changing lanes and in doing so I missed the light changing due to improperly marked construction on Mcleod trail that day.

You can even see in the photo that I was changing lanes.

kaput
12-22-2014, 10:10 AM

G-ZUS
12-22-2014, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by kaput
I think it might be illegal to change lanes in an intersection. Someone else can probably confirm.

It's been discussed before, not illegal.

FraserB
12-22-2014, 10:22 AM
You can probably get a monetary deduction, but the ticket will stand.

Being distracted isn't a valid defense for running a red light. You'll also need to explain how you can't remember the day in question, but do remember what the lane markings were and why they were wrong.

revelations
12-22-2014, 11:17 AM
You would have to present your case and evidence regarding the signal visibility issue. Its plausible though.

I have been in similar situations (left turn) where a large vehicle is blocking the signal visibility completely from me as I approach the intersection.

Unlike BC, there are no secondary lights on the left hand corner of the intersection for left-turners. :dunno:

firebane
12-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Is the court appointment an all day thing? Or can there be a time scheduled?

FraserB
12-22-2014, 12:28 PM
You go in the morning and wait.

FullFledgedYYC
12-22-2014, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by firebane
Is the court appointment an all day thing? Or can there be a time scheduled?

There is usually 10-15 people scheduled for that day.... your time will be say, 10am. They then do each case one by one. If you're lucky, you will one of the first ones... otherwise you wait until your name is called.

Say hi to the female crown prosecutor for me, she is a grade A cunt. I always love her disappointment when I win the case :)

clem24
12-22-2014, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
You can probably get a monetary deduction, but the ticket will stand.

AFAIK they can't reduce the fine - they are set. What they can do is change the charge to a lesser offense so you'll end up paying less/fewer points deduction.

D'z Nutz
12-22-2014, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by clem24

AFAIK they can't reduce the fine - they are set. What they can do is change the charge to a lesser offense so you'll end up paying less/fewer points deduction.

You can even see in the photo that I was changing lanes.

It doesn't sound like he was pulled over and issued a moving vehicle violation. I think it's just the fine.

firebane
12-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Trust me I'm not one to run red lights all I was looking for was some answers of how to proceed with the court details of this.. But I've posted the offending picture in case anyone is interested LOL.

All I can remember is there was construction in the far right lane so I was turning to get out of the lane and perhaps missed the light due to this *shrug*.... Who knows. But if you also notice another guy is clearly in the wrong too .. LOL! :nut:

mr2mike
12-22-2014, 05:00 PM
You look guilty. No one tailgating and road conditions aren't icy.

I thought you'd be changing lanes from right lane which would be backed up and full of cars, to a lane that was empty. In the process have to slow down because of the backup in your lane and get caught part way in the intersection.

Instead, you're changing lanes from a empty lane into a busy lane. Could have pulled through intersection and then changed. Or looked further ahead and changed lanes before intersection.

Just plead guilty to a lesser offense. Those camera are rolling like a strobe light most days.

Xtrema
12-22-2014, 05:14 PM
But if you also notice another guy is clearly in the wrong too .. LOL! :nut:

dbl post....

Xtrema
12-22-2014, 05:16 PM
But if you also notice another guy is clearly in the wrong too .. LOL! :nut:

Well, that's why there are 2 pictures.

You enter in red which is why you got a ticket and it's red while you are in the middle of intersection. Unless that isn't your car in lane one, it's open and shut case. Just plead lesser offence and pay it, there is no demerit for this one.

As for the other guy, he may have gotten a ticket too, probably not the same 2 photos you got for evidence.

J-D
12-22-2014, 05:26 PM
I don't think you're going to be able to argue this one.

Star1995
12-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Ask yourself, how long is the light yellow? then look at the picture, is there a yellow light? so you were distracted for how long? You were travelling at 43km/hr, seems like a long time to be distracted and a long distance "I'd, I'd say I'll have to get my slid rule out for this one" (Insert Fog Horn Leg Horn voice)

speedog
12-22-2014, 06:50 PM
What would be a lesser of an offence than running a red light?

Mibz
12-22-2014, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by speedog
What would be a lesser of an offence than running a red light? In this case they could probably go with dangerous lane change. I think they can just charge you with whatever you agree to.

I had a ticket reduced to something else I didn't actually do. Not saying it's the norm, but I believe it's allowed.

UndrgroundRider
12-22-2014, 07:06 PM
I am looking for a bit of advice regarding how to handle this. I normally don't care about tickets and will just pay them because its my own vehicle.

But recently got a red light ticket while using a company vehicle and with this ticket I plan to go to court over it. I have never been to court for any traffic tickets ever and don't have the foggiest clue what to expect or to even do?

I know I'm going to plead not guilty as I honestly don't remember that day but the situation of the ticket itself is very odd and doesn't make sense.

If you go to court you will get crucified. It's not worth the 2+ days it will take to stand in front of a JP and lose anyway. Plus, you're guilty as fuck. Be happy there are no demerits and pay the fine.