PDA

View Full Version : Building a track car - keep STi, or new platform?

Canmorite
12-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Looking for some opinions from track folks on building a track car with current STi or getting something else. Currently have an '07 STi that is fun to drive, but at the end of the day it's still a 4-door car with AWD, not a RWD coupe.

However, I've seen a bunch of STis that are made into track cars, but I'm a little hesitant of the cost involved to get it up to that level (rotors, brakes, air/oil seperator, rad, water pump, etc etc). Serious investment to get into next level, and starting to wonder what else is out there.

What other cars around the same price point, lower or higher, are good/better options than an STi for track days? I've looked at M3's as well, but the NA engine makes me wonder about power at this altitude...

Current mod list on STi for reference:
-Megan racing coilvers
-Nitto NT01 tires 255/40/17
-Motegi 17" wheels (basic wheels)
-Hawk HPS pads
-3 in catback exhaust, HKS Carbon-Ti can
-Dyno tune (265whp, 290lb-ft at wheels)

Cheers :thumbsup:

Current look:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rtxiflp83q83wf3/Sti%204.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u93d9dx9c85mql3/STi%203.jpg?dl=0

Redlyne_mr2
12-25-2014, 04:21 PM
The e46 m3s are easier to drive fast on fast tracks compared to the STI. A 996 turbo is a fantastic all around car for street and track. Unfortunately it's double the price. An evo 9 would be a cool option as well.

Tough as there isn't much out there in the 20-25K range that's quicker than a modified sti, even in the used market.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-25-2014, 06:08 PM
My BRZ was an awesome track car with a couple mods to the suspension and wheels and tires last year, the downside was the lack of power, I was getting passed on the straights by Miatas...

Now with boost, I can't wait to not get left behind on the main straights.

Downside number two: cost...

EM2FTL
12-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Tough as there isn't much out there in the 20-25K range that's quicker than a modified sti, even in the used market.

$20-25K is a perfect budget for a track monster LS swapped FD, which (if you can drive) will decimate all at race wars.

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?board=11.0

Sentry
12-25-2014, 06:57 PM
If you really wanna have fun, get a second set of wheels and mount some race tires like RA1s or R888s.

My Integra on some very old, very used race tires was faster than 90% of the cars at the trackdays I went to. Cars with triple the horsepower.

Canmorite
12-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Sentry
If you really wanna have fun, get a second set of wheels and mount some race tires like RA1s or R888s.

My Integra on some very old, very used race tires was faster than 90% of the cars at the trackdays I went to. Cars with triple the horsepower.

I had a set of Nitto NT01's for this year and they were great. Outran an E92 M3 at castrol no problem with those tires.

Theres one white FD on that link that looks badass. Fully built track car, but for $35K+. Not saying it's not worth it, but still.

James your BRZ was super quick at the auto-x's I attended. The cost is a downsize, but for me I like a car with more power out of the box. A SC'd BRZ could be a ton of fun though. I'll look into it.

Keep 'em coming! I think I'm leaning more and more towards a summer car only, the STi does everything well but not one thing great haha.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-27-2014, 01:28 PM
I think if I was to do it again I would do an Integra (ideally a Type R)

962 kid
12-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by EM2FTL

$20-25K is a perfect budget for a track monster LS swapped FD, which (if you can drive) will decimate all at race wars.

http://www.norotors.com/index.php?board=11.0

Not to derail, but an LS swapped FD is not a great car for serious track duty.

Another vote for 996tt :thumbsup:

MGCM
12-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I think if I was to do it again I would do an Integra (ideally a Type R)

Even a prepped GSR would be tons of fun, hell my base rsx is still fun when I want it to be:thumbsup:

EM2FTL
12-28-2014, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

Yeah, well, that's like, your opinion, man.

No but seriously, wat? An LS swapped FD has been dominating TA for years up here in Etown. What are you basing that on?

962 kid
12-28-2014, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by EM2FTL

Yeah, well, that's like, your opinion, man.

No but seriously, wat? An LS swapped FD has been dominating TA for years up here in Etown. What are you basing that on?

Again, not really interested in derailing this thread. To be brief, concerns arise mainly from having to buy someone else's project car - no further explanation needed. Secondly, LS swapped FDs have oiling issues when driven hard on even moderately grippy tires.

Not that they can't be fast... you just won't be getting a fully sorted track ready dry sumped LSFD for anywhere near 20-25k, and once you start going over that price range there are more/better options.

Canmorite
12-28-2014, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
The e46 m3s are easier to drive fast on fast tracks compared to the STI. A 996 turbo is a fantastic all around car for street and track. Unfortunately it's double the price. An evo 9 would be a cool option as well.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/382413/fs-2003-porsche-911-turbo/ :dunno: Have seen this car in person and it's awesome. I'd feel awful for winter driving it though haha.

962 kid
12-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/382413/fs-2003-porsche-911-turbo/ :dunno: Have seen this car in person and it's awesome. I'd feel awful for winter driving it though haha.

Yeah that's a fun car, sold though :p

94boosted
12-28-2014, 03:23 PM
By track car do you mean a dedicated road course time attack (Solo-1) car, an autocross (Solo-2) car, a dual purpose car? Will this car be trailered or do you want to maintain some street driveability? Do you want to prep it to a particular class?

NA may be slower at our altitude but in my experience it's also more reliable. Boost = heat.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-28-2014, 03:28 PM
C5 Z06 would be another good sub $30k choice.

Stephen81
12-28-2014, 04:57 PM

my vote goes for the FD too...but personally bro I think you're going about this the wrong way. When I win, I take the cash AND I take the respect. To some people, that's more important...

Canmorite
12-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at E46 & E92 M3's, 996 Turbos and FD's. Something RWD would be fun.

Originally posted by 94boosted
By track car do you mean a dedicated road course time attack (Solo-1) car, an autocross (Solo-2) car, a dual purpose car? Will this car be trailered or do you want to maintain some street driveability? Do you want to prep it to a particular class?

NA may be slower at our altitude but in my experience it's also more reliable. Boost = heat.

I'm thinking a time attack car, with some driveability as it won't be trailered. No particular class, just fast fun laps on a track. Hell, it might even be winter driven. It's a hard bill to fit.

True, definitely found that out this year. Proper cooling is super important for longer sprints on the track.

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
C5 Z06 would be another good sub $30k choice.

Although I think they're good looking cars, I don't think I can ever seen myself in one. C6 maybe, but even then.

Originally posted by Stephen81

my vote goes for the FD too...but personally bro I think you're going about this the wrong way. When I win, I take the cash AND I take the respect. To some people, that's more important...

Whateva Lexus boy. You know what? My STi will decimate all after I put about fifteen grand in it or more.

DeleriousZ
12-29-2014, 02:50 AM
ok i'll be that guy... what about a miata? :angel:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

No. Stop telling people to buy them, the good ones are getting scarce and expensive :(

danno
12-29-2014, 09:26 AM
I've read that the Miata is one of the best budget cars, I'd prefer a s2000 is it fairly comparable for being a track car?

JustinL
12-29-2014, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Looking at E46 & E92 M3's, 996 Turbos and FD's. Something RWD would be fun.

I'm thinking a time attack car, with some driveability as it won't be trailered. No particular class, just fast fun laps on a track. Hell, it might even be winter driven. It's a hard bill to fit.

True, definitely found that out this year. Proper cooling is super important for longer sprints on the track.

It's really important to decide what you want for the car before you start shopping. It sounds like you've narrowed it down to a streetable track car. The next decision I think you have to make is whether you want an AWD car or RWD. After that, it's turbo or no turbo. That should cut your list down pretty well.

E46 M3s are pretty easy to drive, but are all at the age where they will need some minor work to get them into track shape if they haven't been cared for.

SkiBum5.0
12-29-2014, 04:27 PM
e9x M3's are going to be costly to buy and maintain at the track. The 996 is the same. I wouldn't want something that expensive on the track. e46 makes a lot of sense. Tires + Coils + brake pads + cooling and your set. I've got a Euro magazine where they prep an e46 for track duty while maintaining it as a DD. Let me know if you want the mag as I'm done with it.

93VR6
12-30-2014, 11:54 AM
E46 M3 is a great car, not too fast, and very easy to control if you push it past the limits. I wouldn't recommend one unless you're quite mechanically proficient.

There's a lot of things that are known to go wrong on the E46's most of them aren't expensive on parts but it's the labour that kills you. For example the vanos tab on the exhaust cam is known to shear off and if it breaks loose can (probably will) cause total engine destruction, the parts to fix it are <$500 but BMW won't touch superior aftermarket parts for it so they just replace it with the same stock unit that's bound to fail again, and they're going to kill you on the labour. Another example, the rear subframe, buy reinforcements online and weld it in yourself, this is another thing BMW dealers (IME) won't even touch. Other little things like valve adjustments, costs almost nothing to do on your own but it's 10-12 hours labour at the dealer.

If life weren't so unpredictable I'd still have my E46 M3, I miss it.

Kittens11
01-01-2015, 02:06 PM
I had a valve adjustment and some other service work done on my e46 m3 last year at Sheni's auto trend when I still owned it and I don't remember it being anywhere near 12 hours for the adjustment...more like half of that. I also had them look at my vanos tab and sheni said he hadn't actually ever seen one come off in his time owning his shop or when he worked at BMW. I spent hours reading about the problem and came to the conclusion it's not really as common as people think.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-01-2015, 02:10 PM
Valve adjustments arent terribly hard on the S54. The key is making sure that you find a car that had the critical 2000km service done when new and also 10W60 oil only with proof of all that, which is very difficult to find these days.

kwazy
01-02-2015, 07:08 AM
Need to know your budget including mod budget. On the high end of things. I would recommend getting a 996 Turbo/ 996 GT3/ E92 M3. On the lower end of the budget, I would recommend getting a E46M3/Corvette Z06 C5/6

If you want the best of both worlds. I would consider keeping your STI as a DD/winter car and buy a Miata and build it from the ground up as a track car. This will give you the best of both worlds. Corvettes have come down in price alot and you're getting alot of car for the money.

tehwegz
01-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Does it have to be fast?

Miata is meh, but with good set up it should be fun to be at the limits/have your foot to the floor almost entire time. Meanwhile dude in a Vette (well, depends on track) will be driving mildly almost entire time except the straights, trying not to spin out, while watching driver in Miata with top down having time of their life.

One way of looking at it.

I currently have an Integra beater, nothing special, stock 142hp b18b1. Not much rust. Suspension issues have piled up and it will be going under the knife, probably upgrade everything while I'm at it. Maybe turn into something mildly competitive.

In the meantime going to look at an FRS/BRZ for a DD and also something to track later down the road.

BavarianBeast
01-02-2015, 03:49 PM
My supercharged e92 M3 with 50,000km will be on the market in the spring if you want a beastly track car :D

m10-power
01-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Probably the best choice available is the BMW E46 M3, as it sounds like you want to do lapping days and perhaps street class time attack.

Whatever your budget you should consider what it will take to get the car of choice track ready cost wise.

If you are worried about power in a NA car you should consider lap times have much less to do with overall power then proper handling and aero grip.

A driver that learns to maintain speed throughout a lap will be better off in the long run, power should be the last thing to add to a track car.

Choice a car that will be reliable to have as much track seat time as possible, tracking a car is expensive so be sure to budget for that, better to spend money on seat time then performance parts.

jacky4566
01-02-2015, 05:06 PM
94boosted does Solo-1 work in the same way as Autocross? With a similar class system to break down the competition? And multiple people on the track however not bumper to bumper racing.

I too want to get into track racing. With potentially 2 new tracks coming.

Canmorite
01-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Really appreciate all the comments! So far, I don't think anyone has outright said "Keep the STi and make it a track car", which is telling :rofl:

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
e9x M3's are going to be costly to buy and maintain at the track. The 996 is the same. I wouldn't want something that expensive on the track. e46 makes a lot of sense. Tires + Coils + brake pads + cooling and your set. I've got a Euro magazine where they prep an e46 for track duty while maintaining it as a DD. Let me know if you want the mag as I'm done with it.

Ya, the E92 and 996 will be more to maintain than I am comfortable with. I've nixed those cars, unfortunately. I'll PM you regarding the mag!

Originally posted by kwazy
Need to know your budget including mod budget. On the high end of things. I would recommend getting a 996 Turbo/ 996 GT3/ E92 M3. On the lower end of the budget, I would recommend getting a E46M3/Corvette Z06 C5/6

If you want the best of both worlds. I would consider keeping your STI as a DD/winter car and buy a Miata and build it from the ground up as a track car. This will give you the best of both worlds. Corvettes have come down in price alot and you're getting alot of car for the money.

Miata is great, but not interested in owning one. I would like to keep purchase price under $25K as I don't want to have payments on it, preferably. Mod budget would be higher in the beginning, say $5K, but it would likely be spread out rather than all at once if possible.

Originally posted by BavarianBeast
My supercharged e92 M3 with 50,000km will be on the market in the spring if you want a beastly track car :D

I wish! I'll let you know if my bonus is 10x more than expected haha.

Originally posted by m10-power
Probably the best choice available is the BMW E46 M3, as it sounds like you want to do lapping days and perhaps street class time attack.

Whatever your budget you should consider what it will take to get the car of choice track ready cost wise.

If you are worried about power in a NA car you should consider lap times have much less to do with overall power then proper handling and aero grip.

A driver that learns to maintain speed throughout a lap will be better off in the long run, power should be the last thing to add to a track car.

Choice a car that will be reliable to have as much track seat time as possible, tracking a car is expensive so be sure to budget for that, better to spend money on seat time then performance parts.

Yes, and have the car to drive on the weekends/cruises. Less worried about power, as when I was on Castrol I wasn't wishing I had more power. I wish I had better brakes, cooling and suspension setup. Good point, would rather spend on seat time than maintenance.

I will look for an E46 M3, manual, and see what's out there!

Cheers.

JustinL
01-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Let me know when you're up at Castrol. It's about 10 minutes from my house. I've got lots of laps around there and also know my way around E46 M3 maintenance. I'd be happy to help you get going.

Pacman
01-03-2015, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ

They are fun to drive in stock form, so they must be a blast with some tweaks for the track.

DeleriousZ
01-03-2015, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Pacman

They are fun to drive in stock form, so they must be a blast with some tweaks for the track.

I should probably actually drive one myself before I go pimping them to other people lol.

gpomp
01-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Speaking of E46 M3's, what's the best place to get one serviced in Calgary?

94boosted
01-04-2015, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
94boosted does Solo-1 work in the same way as Autocross? With a similar class system to break down the competition? And multiple people on the track however not bumper to bumper racing.

I too want to get into track racing. With potentially 2 new tracks coming.

Yes, it's very similar to autocross though the classes and allowable modifications are different, this past season when the CSCC ran time attack they classified cars as per the Ontario Car Classification system though for some reason the website is down now and followed ASN Canada FIA Regulations.

http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php/topic,12177.0.html

For example in autocross my Corvette falls under SSP and for Time Attack it's SGT1. To participate in time attack you need either a Competition License or a Solo License (obtained after successful completion of the 2 day course) if you want to do un-timed lapping you don't need a license. Do some reading on the CSCC forums and Track Junkies if you want to get more involved.

Canmorite
02-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Bump!

2004 M3 with 129K kms for $17.5K. Going to take a look at it this weekend.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2004-bmw-3-series-m3-coupe-2-door/1047753501?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Also saw this as well but one photo and no reply from owner.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2002-bmw-m3-coupe-2-door/1053373749?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

mr2mike
02-26-2015, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

BMW Gallery http://forums.beyond.ca/st/389739/was-my-car-just-bagged-by-bmw-gallery/

bjstare
02-26-2015, 10:54 AM
Bump!

2004 M3 with 129K kms for $17.5K. Going to take a look at it this weekend.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2004-bmw-3-series-m3-coupe-2-door/1047753501?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Also saw this as well but one photo and no reply from owner.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2002-bmw-m3-coupe-2-door/1053373749?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

That first one looks super clean. The second one, I wouldn't touch.

gretz
02-26-2015, 11:31 AM
I have an h22 swapped dc integra,... It's as quick as a Subaru with lots (okay, enough) of bottom end / midrange torque to keep it lively out of corners...

It's a decent setup / bang for the buck compared to other cars of the same "caliber"

Tuner1
02-26-2015, 01:45 PM

Another vote for 996TT ;)

http://www.tunerworks.com/blog/?p=578

That said for under $30K I think an STI is hard to beat. I love E46 M3s but some of the known issues with this model are $$$ to fix, although no more than popping a piston on a Subie 2.5L!! Others that come to mind if you don't need a rear seat are S2000, 350Z and C5 Z06.

CLiVE
02-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Tuner1

Another vote for 996TT ;)

http://www.tunerworks.com/blog/?p=578

Others that come to mind if you don't need a rear seat are S2000, 350Z and C5 Z06.

Another vote for S2k. Heck, buy mine. Vortech supercharged too.

Canmorite
03-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE

Another vote for S2k. Heck, buy mine. Vortech supercharged too.

Interested. Don't they need to be roll-caged for track use? Thought convertibles needed that + hardtop...

CLiVE
03-02-2015, 03:45 PM

Interested. Don't they need to be roll-caged for track use? Thought convertibles needed that + hardtop...

Not and expert. Depends on the track/racing organization I think.
Some say stock hoops are enough, others hardtop, others roll cage?

Mine does have the OEM hardtop btw.

88CRX
03-02-2015, 03:47 PM
What kind of track days/events require hardtop or roll cage? None that I ever attended at race city. Most were organized by shops/clubs that barely had any tech to pass at all.

Originally posted by CLiVE

Mine does have the OEM hardtop btw.
What color? Want to sell it?

mgwatson
03-02-2015, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
Nurburgring Ltd. on Centre and 61st Ave SE. Ask for Nick.

CLiVE
03-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

What color? Want to sell it?

Silverstone - but nope. Goes with the car.

xnvy
03-02-2015, 04:43 PM
What kind of track days/events require hardtop or roll cage? None that I ever attended at race city. Most were organized by shops/clubs that barely had any tech to pass at all.

Most trackdays (that have a half-decent tech inspection) require at least a roll bar for convertibles if it doesn't come with rollover protection from factory. OEM hardtop isn't enough as they usually don't provide much (if any) rollover protection. For example, my Miata would need a rollbar for a track day as it has no factory rollover protection but 2006+ Miata's have hoops behind the seats so they wouldn't require one. That said, the rollover hoops from factory on most cars usually offer inadequate rollover protection. I would always recommend at least a roll bar for a track day if you're driving a convertible.

jacky4566
03-02-2015, 04:46 PM
Any sane person should want a roll bar if they are going to track a convertible.

JustinL
03-03-2015, 10:34 AM
The broomstick test is a common one in a lot of regions. Lay a stick across the roll bar and windshield frame. If you bonk your helmet on the stick, you fail. Another thing to consider with a convertible track car is a roof net and/or arm restraints to keep you from doing this in a roll-over:

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/images/avatars/5d/5d75f6bc9f8017ce0bb24d5393a7e2b9eb4cbdf5_full.jpg

HiTempguy1
03-03-2015, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Any sane person should want a roll bar if they are going to track a convertible.

The odds of being in an accident on track is lower than you driving to work in the morning.

The odds of you ROLLING a car at a track? So incredibly low that its a bit silly to have such a worry. Probably need to be more worried about hitting a moose on the highway.

k1l4m
03-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

The odds of you ROLLING a car at a track? So incredibly low that its a bit silly to have such a worry.

I don't think people install roll bars because of the odds of rolling a car but more so because if something does happen, you have much more protection. I wouldn't want to be in a convertible without a roll bar when this (http://youtu.be/qMmjaaSQP08?t=1m12s) happens.

OP, here's a couple S2K's if you decide to go that route:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2000-honda-s2000-convertible/1054511157?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/04-honda-s2000-ap2-68k-kms/1053331857?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

JustinL
03-03-2015, 12:20 PM

The odds of being in an accident on track is lower than you driving to work in the morning.

The odds of you ROLLING a car at a track? So incredibly low that its a bit silly to have such a worry. Probably need to be more worried about hitting a moose on the highway.

I actually think this is a myth that we tell ourselves to feel better. I tell my wife this too, but I know it's not true. Castrol has already eaten a pile of cars in one year and a bit.

Cars do roll at the track, a quick google search will reveal that. There were a bunch at RCMP over the years that ended up on the roof.

HiTempguy1
03-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by JustinL

I actually think this is a myth that we tell ourselves to feel better. I tell my wife this too, but I know it's not true. Castrol has already eaten a pile of cars in one year and a bit.

Cars do roll at the track, a quick google search will reveal that. There were a bunch at RCMP over the years that ended up on the roof.

I am talking about rolling specifically. And as to accidents it is not a myth. Technically speaking, Castrol (by its very nature) will have a lot more newbs who don't know how to drive on it compared to elsewhere in North America. That's because the only track we had for decades was Race City, and Castrol is new/Edmonton was super isolated as a racing community.

Thats my opinion. Take it as you will. But racing is extremely safe for a sport that is inherently dangerous :dunno: Part of why we race is because it is "extreme". Otherwise we'd all just play video game simulations.

Anywho, I don't want to take this conversation off course. I just don't think its appropriate to "scare" people.

JustinL
03-03-2015, 01:12 PM

Thats my opinion. Take it as you will. But racing is extremely safe for a sport that is inherently dangerous :dunno: Part of why we race is because it is &quot;extreme&quot;. Otherwise we'd all just play video game simulations.

Anywho, I don't want to take this conversation off course. I just don't think its appropriate to &quot;scare&quot; people.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm pretty far over on the safety edge of the spectrum; I wear my race gear (nomex undies and all) any time I'm in my race car and it's got a fire system beyond what's required.

I don't think we are straying too far off topic as some of the cars that were mentioned are convertibles, so it's a conversation worth having. It's not about scaring people off, but trying to make sure potential participants are aware of the level of risk they are comfortable with and how best to minimize it.

The type of event plays a large role in the risk. Wheel to wheel is a big increase in risk over DE or TT or autocross. Even with experienced racers, there is contact and there are wrecks. Last year, there were no big collisions, but lots of bumps and scrapes. I think though we are talking about track days for the OP so the only type of wreck that is likely to happen is due to driver error or mechanical failure, which we also saw last season. I would agree that the likelihood is pretty low, but bad shit does happen even in a DE setting. I've never seen an upside-down car at an event, but I know it's happened in Alberta and is an all too frequent in the states too.

A roll bar and net/restraints is a really cheap way to improve the safety (and performance) of a track car convertible. I wouldn't be comfortable in an open car without them. But, like I say, I'm a safety nut.

88CRX
03-03-2015, 01:24 PM
The safety stuff should definitely be a concern... the big eye opener I had was seeing a car in front of me on a club lapping day catch fire and completely burn to the ground. No contact with anyone, no wreck, nothing. Oil line popped off and bursts into flames. Luckily everyone got out safely.

Car burns to the ground and you have zero insurance coverage. Also something to definitely think about when 'tracking' your $30k car.

A2VR6
03-03-2015, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by JustinL

The type of event plays a large role in the risk. Wheel to wheel is a big increase in risk over DE or TT or autocross. Even with experienced racers, there is contact and there are wrecks. Last year, there were no big collisions, but lots of bumps and scrapes. I think though we are talking about track days for the OP so the only type of wreck that is likely to happen is due to driver error or mechanical failure, which we also saw last season. I would agree that the likelihood is pretty low, but bad shit does happen even in a DE setting. I've never seen an upside-down car at an event, but I know it's happened in Alberta and is an all too frequent in the states too.

:werd: the last wheel to wheel event I participated in (chumpcar in Spokane) had about 4/5 rollovers. It happens.

Canmorite
03-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
The safety stuff should definitely be a concern... the big eye opener I had was seeing a car in front of me on a club lapping day catch fire and completely burn to the ground. No contact with anyone, no wreck, nothing. Oil line popped off and bursts into flames. Luckily everyone got out safely.

Car burns to the ground and you have zero insurance coverage. Also something to definitely think about when 'tracking' your $30k car.

Good point. Fire extinguisher install is a cheap preventative addition.