PDA

View Full Version : Air Asia missing Flight (Dec 27 2014)

JAYMEZ
12-27-2014, 10:06 PM
An AirAsia flight travelling from the Indonesian city of Surabaya to Singapore has lost contact with air traffic control, the company has said.

Indonesian media say 162 people were on board.

The aircraft, flight number QZ8501, lost contact with air traffic control just after 07:00am local time, AirAsia tweeted.

Hopefully everything is OK this time and no disappearing flights .

rx7_turbo2
12-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Just saw this on the news, should be interesting to follow this as it unfolds.

Fingers crossed they find it and all passengers safe and sound, as unlikely as that may be.

MGCM
12-27-2014, 10:19 PM
driving is getting safer by the day:nut:

dj_rice
12-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Okay, scratch flying to Asia off my vacation list.

r3ccOs
12-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Okay, scratch flying to Asia off my vacation list.
werd

wintonyk
12-27-2014, 11:16 PM
Looks like i am flying jetstar from here on out.

Manhattan
12-27-2014, 11:21 PM
How are flights just disappearing in that area? Typically there's a distress call or at least a location. Strange things happening over there.

flipstah
12-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk
Looks like i am flying jetstar from here on out.

TigerAir FTW.

Seriously, hope nothing but the best for everyone out there. Statistically, it's still safer than driving.

Math brings me comfort.

EDIT: Reports and buzz within FlyerTalk are stating it crashed. :(

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/malaysia/article/reports-of-plane-crash-in-belitung-timur-says-indonesian-portal

D'z Nutz
12-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Seriously, hope nothing but the best for everyone out there. Statistically, it's still safer than driving.

Math brings me comfort.

And Superman.

JwUhTlnOKh8

revelations
12-27-2014, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Manhattan
How are flights just disappearing in that area? Typically there's a distress call or at least a location. Strange things happening over there.

With lax regulations and the MASSIVE number of flights in that region, its no surprise unfortunately that one flight a year goes down :dunno:

Not very strange IMO

Sorath
12-27-2014, 11:56 PM
took air asia to singapore in oct :eek:

msommers
12-28-2014, 01:38 AM
I'm still surprised (and disappointed) in this day and age, how the hell does a commercial plane just disappear?

shakalaka
12-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Flying out of Puerto Vallarta back to Canada today, sort of uneasy news to hear before that. Lol. I'll report back here if everything goes okay, fingers crossed.

D'z Nutz
12-28-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Flying out of Puerto Vallarta back to Canada today, sort of uneasy news to hear before that. Lol. I'll report back here if everything goes okay, fingers crossed.

There's a stop over in Asia from Mexico? :dunno:

shakalaka
12-28-2014, 09:08 AM
Who knows might be if it goes missing. Just not something you want to hear before getting on a plane.

Lex350
12-28-2014, 09:11 AM
I fly back from PV on the 1st. This doesn't bother me in regards to flying. I usually watch Mayday all week before I fly anyway.

If you time is up...it's up.

Seth1968
12-28-2014, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Manhattan

Originally posted by revelations

With lax regulations and the MASSIVE number of flights in that region, its no surprise unfortunately that one flight a year goes down :dunno:

Not very strange IMO

This.

Most planes go down due to pilot error or poor maintenance due to cost cutting.

It's rare to have a plane go down due to "natural" mechanical or electrical failure.

However, none of this is any consolation when you're falling to your death and have a minute or two to think about it.

ExtraSlow
12-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Hows the coverage of the ground-based radar stations in that area?

wintonyk
12-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by rotten42
I fly back from PV on the 1st. This doesn't bother me in regards to flying. I usually watch Mayday all week before I fly anyway.

If you time is up...it's up.

haha. i watch this while on the plane sometimes. I am frequently asked politely by a neighbour if I can watch something else it's scaring them.

Feruk
12-28-2014, 02:10 PM
I'm gonna call it right now: pilot error, pilot stalled plane, everyone dead. They'll find wreckage by tomorrow.

Then again after MH370 got taken by aliens, who knows.

revelations
12-28-2014, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
I'm gonna call it right now: pilot error, pilot stalled plane, everyone dead. They'll find wreckage by tomorrow.

Then again after MH370 got taken by aliens, who knows.

Wouldnt be unsurprising at this stage given that:

a) plane was shown on radar traveling at a very slow G/S at its altitude, close to the coffin corner at least in relation to another airliner at about the same altitude

b) plane was shown entering (above) a storm system

:(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Air_Asia_QZ8501_Flight_Path_and_Satellite_Imagery.jpg/350px-Air_Asia_QZ8501_Flight_Path_and_Satellite_Imagery.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1b/QZ8501_secondary_radar_image.jpg/440px-QZ8501_secondary_radar_image.jpg

JAYMEZ
12-28-2014, 02:50 PM
I still find it hard to believe how planes just disappear.

Are weird weather patterns happening over in that area?

killramos
12-28-2014, 03:01 PM
For people who are wondering why there isn't enough radar coverage. What would be needed is is one of these every 2000 km.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea-based_X-band_Radar

The Americans have one, and it cost a billion dollars let alone the cost to maintain.

From my knowledge it has been parked off the Korean coast linked up to Aegis missile cruisers to shoot down any potential icbm's for the last few years after NK started their latest wave of bluster.

Aerobat
12-28-2014, 05:02 PM
^Saw it in Pearl Harbor a few years ago

The radar has been described by Lt. Gen Trey Obering (director of MDA) as being able to track an object the size of a baseball over San Francisco in California from the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia, approximately 2,900 miles (4,700 km) away.

95EagleAWD
12-28-2014, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
I still find it hard to believe how planes just disappear.

Are weird weather patterns happening over in that area?

Airplanes are very small, and the Earth is very large. It can take years to find downed planes.

eblend
12-28-2014, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
I usually watch Mayday all week before I fly anyway.

Thought it was me :)

max_boost
12-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Well it'll be about the same odds as winning the lottery. Anyway that sucks and feel terrible for the families involved :( Not the best year for Aviation. :cry:

Feruk
12-30-2014, 12:39 PM
I was about to say that they had almost 100% chance of finding this one, but apparently reading BBC, they already found the debris. Although for some reasons they are attempting search and rescue, which is strange considering the plane fell from 38,000ft.

MH370 was an extreme anomaly. Something always floats.

revelations
12-30-2014, 02:46 PM
MH370 was an extreme anomaly. Something always floats.

Yes, but the odds of finding something floating in a search grid area, what, the size of Alberta?.... is remote at best. :(

shakalaka
12-30-2014, 02:48 PM
I read on BBC that they found remains of bodies of passengers of the flight. RIP. :(

Feruk
12-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Yes, but the odds of finding something floating in a search grid area, what, the size of Alberta?.... is remote at best. :(
I was more surprised at how much garbage they actually found in the South Indian considering it was in the middle of absolutely nowhere. Several "debris fields" spotted, just not from the plane.

OU812
12-31-2014, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by killramos
For people who are wondering why there isn't enough radar coverage. What would be needed is is one of these every 2000 km.

The Americans have one, and it cost a billion dollars let alone the cost to maintain.

From my knowledge it has been parked off the Korean coast linked up to Aegis missile cruisers to shoot down any potential icbm's for the last few years after NK started their latest wave of bluster.

is being assigned to this the most boring job in the US Navy?

revelations
01-01-2015, 01:42 PM
Its interesting again to see how the SE Asian authorities are going back and forth regarding their statements and press releases. Like they have not learned anything from MH370.

Is it a cultural thing or are they really that bad at organizing an operation?? :confused:

jampack
01-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by killramos

We were just in Honolulu a couple of months ago and this is parked over there at that time. I believe it did travel somewhere but is now back to Hawaii.

jwslam
01-22-2015, 04:22 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/airasia-flight-8501-6-more-bodies-recovered-by-divers-1.2927489

So far, 59 bodies have been recovered from AirAsia Flight 8501, which plunged into the Java Sea with 162 people while en route from Surabaya, Indonesia's second-largest city, to Singapore. Officials believed the rest are still inside the main fuselage.

Feruk
01-22-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm gonna call it right now: pilot error, pilot stalled plane, everyone dead.

From article:

radar data showed that the plane was climbing at an abnormally high rate — about 6,000 feet a minute — then dropped rapidly and disappeared... An excessively rapid ascent is likely to cause an airplane to go into an aerodynamic stall.
Oh yeah motha fuckas! Called it! God I watch too much Mayday.

Aleks
01-23-2015, 08:31 AM

From article:

One of my favorite shows on TV. :thumbsup:

A2VR6
01-23-2015, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

One of my favorite shows on TV. :thumbsup:

Are they still showing it on Discovery? Is it regularly scheduled? I used to watch but havent seen any episodes in a while

CapnCrunch
01-23-2015, 08:48 AM

From article:

If there is one thing Mayday has taught us, it's that the pilot has to be a complete idiot to stall out an airplane like that considering the numerous un-ignorable warning messages/alerts he would have been getting.

Aerobat
01-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

If there is one thing Mayday has taught us, it's that the pilot has to be a complete idiot to stall out an airplane like that considering the numerous un-ignorable warning messages/alerts he would have been getting.

I wouldnt say that, it sad that it happens but theyre are lots of other contributing factors. listen to the Air France cockpit recordings and try to figure out whats going on in a supposedly unstallable plane.. Now imagine having a situation like that thrown in your face seconds after being woken up. Theres no training for stall recoveries on planes that size either, your taught to recover at the first indication of a stall, who knows if theyre even recoverable after being stalled so deeply.

Feruk
01-23-2015, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Aerobat
I wouldnt say that, it sad that it happens but theyre are lots of other contributing factors. listen to the Air France cockpit recordings and try to figure out whats going on in a supposedly unstallable plane.. Now imagine having a situation like that thrown in your face seconds after being woken up. Theres no training for stall recoveries on planes that size either, your taught to recover at the first indication of a stall, who knows if theyre even recoverable after being stalled so deeply.
The Air France one was definition of pilot stupidity. Planes are only as "unstallable" as the pilot is competent. All that the Air France pilot ever had to do was point his nose down, add power, and bam, no stall. There were several clear warnings that his plane was about to stall (warnings and stick shaker right before you stall), but instead (from what I remember) the fool accelerated with the nose up, forcing the stall. He also had plenty of time to think about how to correctly react. This incident is sounding very similar except the stall was probably quicker due to their climb angle.

Originally posted by A2VR6
Are they still showing it on Discovery? Is it regularly scheduled? I used to watch but havent seen any episodes in a while
They're all free on Youtube (legally). New season just aired and some are even in HD!

revelations
01-23-2015, 10:33 AM
AF447 was a case of so many alarms and counter-intuitive situations (eg. pull back on the stick and the stall alarms stopped) that crew suffered from "startle effect" until the relief Captain realized (at 10000ft) that the right seat needed to release back pressure on the controller (it was too late to recover).

They forgot the first rule of aviation, FLY THE PLANE (ie leave power and controls at a roughly neutral position if you lose all bearing).

Air Asia 8501, appeared to have been caught in a massive updraft that took it above its ceiling height (for its given payload, density altitude, etc).... and then stalled and spun. :(

Aerobat
01-23-2015, 11:03 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR5kFOHVnUU&x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688

Not only that but lowering the nose to a cruise or slightly below attitude wouldnt have been enough at such a low airspeed... Look at the last 3 minutes of this video showing AoA with a nose down attitude, they wouldve need a significant nose down input to even unstall the plane