PDA

View Full Version : 8th Gen Honda Accord - Experiences?

riander5
12-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Hey all considering getting an 8th gen accord coupe w/ the gf for daily/winter driving duties.

Was curious if any beyond members had experience with them as there are some seriously split reviews on this generation (not very Honda like)

v6 vcm / oil burning issue... there is a TSB or whatever extending warranty on these engines... has anyone experienced problems with the v6? Other half the reviews people just sing praises for this engine

brake pad premature wear - seems the pads wear out after 30-50k kms. Doesn't sound too outrageous but apparently the backs wear out in half the time as the fronts...

Anyways just wondering what peoples experiences / stories you have heard about this gen. It is a good looking car that has lots of standard features and two decent engine choices, just hoping this wasn't one of the few Honda had a swing and a miss on!

idriveabox
12-29-2014, 11:43 AM
We bought our 2009 new, 6speed manual. Can't comment on the VCM oil issue but the V6 likes to burn through about a litre between changes. I keep an eye on it and top it up regularly, no big deal.

We are on the second set of oem pads on the rear. 110xxx km. The issue is blown out of proportion.

The car has given me zero issues besides a clutch problem under warranty and the usual third gear stick that is common to the Honda 6spd. That was remedied by using GM syncromesh in the trans.

riander5
12-29-2014, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the reply^ I considered it might be blown out of proportion as someone is 100x more likely to write about a poor experience than a good one!

tirebob
01-02-2015, 12:09 AM
My 2011 EX-L V6 I bought new has just over 70k now and I am still on original brakes and have never had to add oil between oil changes. I heard the same stuff but have not experienced this at all...