PDA

View Full Version : Palm Springs, CA - What's the deal?

Masked Bandit
12-30-2014, 02:39 PM
It seems like over the past few years I keep hearing more & more about people spending time in Palm Springs, CA. I'm not talking old retired snowbirds here, I talking about families and middle-age folks. I've never been so I'm curious about the attraction. What do people go there specifically for? It's not on the ocean so it's not beach stuff?

supe
12-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Golf and shopping.

shakalaka
12-30-2014, 02:49 PM
I've been hearing this more and more often too. Interested in finding out what exactly the attraction is.

OU812
12-30-2014, 02:52 PM
all the homo bars?

:dunno:

BavarianBeast
12-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by supe
Golf and shopping.

:werd: :closed:

01RedDX
12-30-2014, 03:05 PM

Tik-Tok
12-30-2014, 03:31 PM
I think it's the cheapest "hot" place you can get to in the winter. Buying a vacation property is also ridiculously inexpensive.

Like anywhere though, it's just the newest vacation destination fad, like Scottsdale was a few years ago.

Masked Bandit
12-30-2014, 03:37 PM
Golf & shopping eh? "Kids, you're going to Grandma's for a few days".

thinmyster
12-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Golfing everywhere and the outlet mall is close ~30-45mins down the freeway.

LA is close and so is vegas

Been to coachella 2 of the past 3 years. Expect to pay 10x for a vacation rental during the festival weeks close to venue.

schocker
12-30-2014, 03:46 PM
I have been 3 times now each time and staying in palm desert. I usually do some hiking, some shopping but I have never brought my clubs. It is just nice and relaxing overall. Lots of close places to drive but I usually stay in and around the city. A lot slower paced/less busy than say phoenix/scottsdale which is nice also. I just got back from there last week so you can let me know if you have any questions.

civic_stylez
12-31-2014, 11:38 AM
I go 1-2 times a year. I love going. Obviously the heat is a big draw but the shopping is awesome and i just like the laid back lifestyle there. Food and booze are SUPER cheap, restaurants are good and people are friendly. Good areas to off road if youre into that as well. Just a great place to relax and the majority of the people are down there to do the same so its a nice escape and flights are usually pretty cheap. Im a war geek and their air museum there is DEADLY as well.

Xtrema
12-31-2014, 11:43 AM
Prefer it over Phoenix/Tucson for cheap/hot retirement place.

But the dropping loonie making shopping less of a deal.

T-Dubbs
12-31-2014, 11:56 AM
Its ALOT smaller than Phoenix, best part!

JustinL
12-31-2014, 11:56 AM
I love hiking in the desert so that's a big attraction during our cold winters. Short direct flights are also another draw. And the Mexican food is amazing.

schocker
12-31-2014, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by civic_stylez
Im a war geek and their air museum there is DEADLY as well.
I loved it when there last. It is a really cool museum. Wish I had a chance to go last week.

Originally posted by JustinL
I love hiking in the desert so that's a big attraction during our cold winters. Short direct flights are also another draw. And the Mexican food is amazing.
So much sand in your shoes though. :rofl:
I went hiking at thousand palms last and it was really neat. Joshua Tree/Taquitz Canyon & Indian Canyons are also really nice hikes.

ExtraSlow
12-31-2014, 03:23 PM
Very good hiking options, some cool scenery if you are into the desert thing. Pretty close to Anaheim if you want to catch a sporting event or the theme parks. Golf and outlet mall as mentioned.

Great little airport too.

Rocket1k78
01-05-2015, 03:08 PM
The location and warm temps in the winter are the big appeal. Its mid low 20's as a high this week there. Theres lots to see and do in PS but just a short drive away you have the option to do pretty much anything you want. LA is less than 2 hours away and theres a million other cities /towns in that area too. Flights can be had for cheap too, $400 round trip is average on west jet but they have sales which can make it $300.

PS kills Phoenix/scottsdale in every way except the house price. $500k in phoenix is going to get you a mansion with mermaids swimming in the swimming pool but $500k in PS is just a normal house with a private pool

rx7_turbo2
01-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Weather is nice.
It's not too busy.
Lots of hiking, golfing, dirt biking, race tracks, in close proximity.
Easy to get to LA or Vegas
Mmmmm fish tacos.

ercchry
01-05-2015, 03:21 PM
dry heat, cools off at night, close to us, in-n-out, golf, outlets, never rains, consistent temps too... for the extended winter stays for people with pets, US travel is easy (no quarantine or anything)

sabad66
01-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Joshua Tree was a nice day trip. Besides that it's boring unless you golf. Only reason i was there was for Coachella.

It's pretty close to LA though, so at least you have some nearby options if you get really bored

mr2mike
01-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Here's the party history of Palm Springs and why it was shutdown, and I guess now it's slowly reviving?

http://www.pe.com/articles/palm-693395-springs-spring.html

Last time I was there it was a snooze fest, everything after 8pm was closed and quiet. That was easily 10 years ago.

Thaco
01-05-2015, 05:45 PM
i go there because family owns a vacation home, cant beat free :)

and yeah, the wife likes the cabazan outlet mall.

78si
01-05-2015, 07:56 PM
My buddy rents his house out there if anyone is interested.

Rocket1k78
01-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Last time I was there it was a snooze fest, everything after 8pm was closed and quiet. That was easily 10 years ago.

Please tell us what else sucked about PS 10 years ago lol

schocker
01-06-2015, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Some people like to go to relax though, that is why I go and it is very nice.

rx7_turbo2
01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by schocker

Some people like to go to relax though, that is why I go and it is very nice.

Same reason I enjoy it. Pretty relaxing place, with excitement in close proximity (LA, Vegas) if so desired.

KO22
01-07-2015, 10:05 AM
Just came back from PS, spent 8 days there.. great little city. Village pub / Pinocchio's for breakfast/lunch, Lulu's and the Hard Rock are all great place's to check out for food/partying. In the summer it's packed with OC/LA girls for bachelorette party's :D Golf is great there, other than that it's a snoozefest haha

HiTempguy1
01-07-2015, 12:42 PM
Why is PS better than Phoenix? Because Pheonix actually gets pretty damn cold in the winter.

The desert isn't a warm place to live... people seem to forget this.

Also, a lot of Phoenix is kind of a shit hole.

bjstare
01-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Why is PS better than Phoenix? Because Pheonix actually gets pretty damn cold in the winter.

The desert isn't a warm place to live... people seem to forget this.

Also, a lot of Phoenix is kind of a shit hole.

Phoenix is kind of a shit hole. Anyone who vacations there should really be going to Scottsdale.

403ep3
01-07-2015, 05:56 PM
I will be heading over to Phoenix every couple months. Gf's parents just bought a place there :)

Will have to try PS one time. Sounds decent from what's been said here.

schocker
01-07-2015, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
Phoenix is kind of a shit hole. Anyone who vacations there should really be going to Scottsdale.
I liked Scottsdale. Pretty far from the airport though. Lots of amenities though which was nice. Lots of really nice cars also. Hiking is super close also, I think I hiked pinnacle peak and it was really nice. Not as relaxing though for the amount of busy but if you want to hit up some sports then the rings roads are super handy. Shopping was pretty garbage compared to Cabazon though.

bjstare
01-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by schocker

I liked Scottsdale. Pretty far from the airport though. Lots of amenities though which was nice. Lots of really nice cars also. Hiking is super close also, I think I hiked pinnacle peak and it was really nice. Not as relaxing though for the amount of busy but if you want to hit up some sports then the rings roads are super handy. Shopping was pretty garbage compared to Cabazon though.

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin. Scottsdale is nice. They have lots of shopping too.. not sure what you're shopping for, but I do a fair amount and I've never been disappointed in Scottsdale.

schocker
01-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
Yeah, that's what I'm sayin. Scottsdale is nice. They have lots of shopping too.. not sure what you're shopping for, but I do a fair amount and I've never been disappointed in Scottsdale. I was thinking of that outlet mall to the north of phoenix, it had only like 30% stores open because they all moved to the glendale mall. Whoops. So shopping is fine.