PDA

View Full Version : Floor access panel in basement?

nzwasp
12-31-2014, 09:34 PM
Firstly wtf are these for. I broke the circular panel the other day and underneath was just a bunch of rough concrete.

secondly, does a hardware store sell a replacement cover or do i need to glue this one back together.

benyl
12-31-2014, 09:36 PM
Circular ones are usually for the washroom rough in.

nzwasp
12-31-2014, 09:40 PM
I got the circular ones everywhere. There are a couple in the place where the washroom should go, two over by the furnace and 2 where i am sitting now next to the electrical panel (5 feet away).

ExtraSlow
12-31-2014, 09:42 PM
I have a bunch of these as well. Definitely not just in areas for rough-in.

Darell_n
12-31-2014, 09:46 PM
You should have one for a clean-out for the main line to the street, also another should have a back flow check valve for the basement washroom rough-in, and possibly another cover with a smaller drain line for a shower/tub rough-in. If you dig through the gravel under any of those covers you will find whatever plumbing is there. The toilet shitter pipe is usually roughed in visible above the slab, but it's possible to also be under a cover.

nzwasp
01-01-2015, 09:38 AM
ah ok. The gravel seems very concreted together but i didnt try to see if it was loose. There were red sprayed stones in their too.

jeffh
01-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Ya those covers are cheap. I have a couple spares you can have, as I replaced mine with sheet metal and solid wood. Most of my plumbing locations were at the base of my stairs. My plumber bud warned me that they could easily break if someone were to jump on them coming down the stairs. This would be an even worse problem if it was covered by installed carpet. Pm me if you want them, i think they (2of) are around 8" diameter, 3/8 thick and dark coloured plastic.

mr2mike
01-01-2015, 11:55 AM
Darell is correct.
It's just hard packed gravel and or sand.

barmanjay
01-02-2015, 05:26 PM
My plumber once told me that everywhere there is a bend (45*) on the main line, there has to be an access cover for it.

If there is no rough-in in there for some kind of drain,.. it's likely a bend in the main line underneath all the gravel - about 8-12" below the top of the gravel