PDA

View Full Version : New Year New Routine

chathamf
01-02-2015, 11:26 AM
Anyone implementing any new work out plans for the New Year? Last year I seen some great strength gains and put on some decent muscle. It was the first year I put a solid year in on the weights and went to the gym on a regular basis. I am not im amazing shape or ripped or anything but I seen some great progress.

This year I hope to continue making gains but I also want to work on overall fitness and cardio instead of just getting bigger.

I have some ideas of what I'm going to do but just looking for other people switching things up and maybe take some ideas from your plans. Post up what you'll be up to this year! I'll post my rough sketch of my plans as well.

BavarianBeast
01-02-2015, 11:32 AM
Drink more water

GQBalla
01-02-2015, 11:41 AM
Continue to lose fat, it sucks though my strength has gone down hill quite a bit.

zipdoa
01-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Yeah, following the Ido Portal method and become a functional athlete instead of just silly bodybuilding routines.

austic
01-02-2015, 03:00 PM
I am going back to more conditioning and Olympic lifting. I just finished a 4 month cycle of structured strength training and saw some great results. Only problem as now I have next to no engine.

Eating everything and lifting heavy weights we a ton of fun but I need to fit into my clothes.....

sheik_yerbouti
01-02-2015, 03:37 PM
I've decided to squat more; 3 days a week instead of 2. I've been doing it for a week, it's not very fun.

Originally posted by zipdoa
Yeah, following the Ido Portal method and become a functional athlete instead of just silly bodybuilding routines.

You're joking right?

I looked this stuff up, and the website is such bullshit. All the people they show doing the "movements" are ripped because of "silly bodybuilding routines" and diet, you don't get to look that way from new age movement shit.

zipdoa
01-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by sheik_yerbouti
I've decided to squat more; 3 days a week instead of 2. I've been doing it for a week, it's not very fun.

You're joking right?

I looked this stuff up, and the website is such bullshit. All the people they show doing the "movements" are ripped because of "silly bodybuilding routines" and diet, you don't get to look that way from new age movement shit.

Yes, I called body building routines silly. Hopefully this did not hurt your feelings.

If you read about Ido Portal, and his philosophy, you'll understand that he incorporates many different aspects of movements into his lifestyle, including resistance training. If you think the human body can only develop under bodybuilding routines, then you might benefit from studying Kinesiology.

To me, being able to move is much more than squats, deadlifts and bench. I have had great success developing my physique using bodybuilding routines, but I'm looking forward to expanding my knowledge and moving away from such a limited form of training.

CeAQnYhrolQ

Edit:

And to rustle some more jimmies, here's a bunch of vegans performing movements that I'd bet most of the beyond bodybuilding community couldn't perform. The best part is, they're proving Ido wrong on his philosophy that you must be a carnivore to be athletic:

X7YH7usafZY

sheik_yerbouti
01-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Yes, I called body building routines silly. Hopefully this did not hurt your feelings.

No I think bodybuilding is quite silly, especially the speedos. I just think it's crazy how so many places which suggest alternatives use people in their promotional material who clearly used bodybuilding methods to get their physiques.

If you read about Ido Portal, and his philosophy, you'll understand that he incorporates many different aspects of movements into his lifestyle, including resistance training. If you think the human body can only develop under bodybuilding routines, then you might benefit from studying Kinesiology.

I don't really care what people do for fitness, enough people sit on their asses and do nothing, sorry if I came off as a dick. I'm thrilled that my mom does zumba, my grandma does gentle yoga, the crazy lady I work with loves kegel exercises, and you have your Ido Portal; to each their own.

Enjoy your exercise, it looks cool, and at least it has a philosophy, unlike those philistine crossfitters, who use my gym when their 'box' is closed and do kipping pull-ups in my squat rack; fuck those guys.

zipdoa
01-02-2015, 05:32 PM

No I think bodybuilding is quite silly, especially the speedos. I just think it's crazy how so many places which suggest alternatives use people in their promotional material who clearly used bodybuilding methods to get their physiques.

I don't really care what people do for fitness, enough people sit on their asses and do nothing, sorry if I came off as a dick. I'm thrilled that my mom does zumba, my grandma does gentle yoga, the crazy lady I work with loves kegel exercises, and you have your Ido Portal; to each their own.

Enjoy your exercise, it looks cool, and at least it has a philosophy, unlike those philistine crossfitters, who use my gym when their 'box' is closed and do kipping pull-ups in my squat rack; fuck those guys.

Yes, I agree - anytime I see "this one weird trick to reduce belly fat" I cringe.

I also agree that Crossfitters can be annoying as hell, but I have to respect that they are out there, being active. As frustrating as their tunnel vision is, at least they're moving.

austic
01-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Soo much hate for the crossfitters. Body building, strength sports and crossfit all have there place. In my opinion if you are out there doing something good on ya.

And I am likely one of those philistine crossfitters using your squat rack when my box is closed. However I would be using it to squat in...

ddduke
01-02-2015, 06:44 PM

unlike those philistine crossfitters, who use my gym when their 'box' is closed and do kipping pull-ups in my squat rack; fuck those guys.

I've gotten to the point where I've started to tell people to leave the squat rack/bench. I told a crossfitter that there's 50 places to do pull ups and only one to do squats so if he's not squatting then to leave. I also told a crew of kids that were curling at the flat bench to fuck off unless they plan on working out their chest.

AudiPWR
01-02-2015, 06:50 PM

To me, being able to move is much more than squats, deadlifts and bench. I have had great success developing my physique using bodybuilding routines, but I'm looking forward to expanding my knowledge and moving away from such a limited form of training.

CeAQnYhrolQ

Edit:

And to rustle some more jimmies, here's a bunch of vegans performing movements that I'd bet most of the beyond bodybuilding community couldn't perform. The best part is, they're proving Ido wrong on his philosophy that you must be a carnivore to be athletic:

X7YH7usafZY

:rofl:

One of those guys eh?

Best of luck with your training in 2015.

sheik_yerbouti
01-02-2015, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by austic

And I am likely one of those philistine crossfitters using your squat rack when my box is closed. However I would be using it to squat in...

Then there is no problem. Except those stupid toe shoes you're probably wearing.

danno
01-02-2015, 09:03 PM
My goal is to drink more water and continue my before work workouts and add my treadmill In at night on a regular basis. I drink a lot of pop, so hopefully I can get the water in the system.

I've gained quite abit of muscle but also abunch of fat. I think eating healthier and the water will be good. Life is harder when you have a kid and then a second on the way. Oh to be 24 with no responsibilities that was the life

mazdavirgin
01-02-2015, 11:34 PM
I like how they prance about in a rock climbing gym but don't so much as touch any single hold...

As for the vegan thing that's just stupid. Vegan diets are fundamentally unhealthy since there are numerous nutrients that will not be available in a vegan diet.

But B12 is just the tip of the iceberg… there are other lesser known nutrients that are only found in animal foods and are critical for optimal function of the body.

Here are a few examples:

Animal protein contains all the essential amino acids in the right ratios. It is important for muscle mass and bone health, to name a few. Vegans don’t get any animal protein, which can have negative effects on body composition (2, 3, 4, 5).

Creatine helps form an energy reservoir in cells. Studies show that vegetarians are deficient in creatine, which has harmful effects on muscle and brain function (6, 7, 8).

Carnosine is protective against various degenerative processes in the body and may protect against aging. It is found only in animal foods (9, 10, 11).

Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) is the most active form of Omega-3 fatty acids in the body and primarily found in animal foods. The plant form of Omega-3s, ALA, is inefficiently converted to DHA in the body (12, 13, 14).

Two other nutrients that have been demonized by vegan proponents are saturated fat and cholesterol.

Cholesterol is a crucial molecule in the body and is part of every cell membrane. It is also used to make steroid hormones like testosterone. Studies show that saturated fat intake correlates with increased testosterone levels (15).

Not surprisingly, vegans and vegetarians have much lower testosterone levels than meat eaters (16, 17, 18, 19)

In any case if you are really hyped on movement stuff why not join a gymnastics gym or take up free running? It's a very specific skill set like any sport though.

zipdoa
01-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR

:rofl:

One of those guys eh?

Best of luck with your training in 2015. \

Couldn't have expressed your ignorance any better :thumbsup:

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

As for the vegan thing that's just stupid. Vegan diets are fundamentally unhealthy since there are numerous nutrients that will not be available in a vegan diet.

In any case if you are really hyped on movement stuff why not join a gymnastics gym or take up free running? It's a very specific skill set like any sport though.

I'm not personally interested in going vegan or vegetarian, I just find it interesting to see schools of thought proven wrong.

I've already spent some time at Flip Factory in Calgary learning gymnastics, and I'm hooked - wish I started young. Some of the kids there are incredible.

mazdavirgin
01-03-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm not personally interested in going vegan or vegetarian, I just find it interesting to see schools of thought proven wrong.

Well firstly it's not really proven wrong since that kid if he had been vegan at birth would be dead. That fellows argument is just stupid it's like I just started on the atkins diet! Look at what it's done blah blah. Unless you started at birth it sure isn't really accurate to attribute your whole physic/health to that diet.

There's a huge difference between a vegan and a vegetarian. You can be perfectly healthy as a vegetarian and competitive in strength fields. The problems comes when you go full retard aka vegan. Which to boot is a horribly inconsistent world view/diet. I mean frankly why is it not ok to eat honey? Oh yeah "bee slavery"? :nut: But breast milk is ok for vegan infants? What about "mother slavery"?

I mean a lot of vegetarians will eat mussels and possibly fish, eggs, milk and whatnot. So they still have sources of the required vitamins and animal protein.

heavyfuel
01-04-2015, 11:43 AM

C'mon Mike nobody's dissing your goals/routines, or yoga, or crossfit, or anything for that matter. We all do what we like/want.

"Silly" bodybuilding routines have gotten me great results in little time. If I was as tall as you and could squat that deep, last thing I'd be calling that is silly. My feelings aren't hurt lol that just came off a bit judgmental IMO and I don't think you're that kind of person.

Milk2%
01-04-2015, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by danno
My goal is to drink more water and continue my before work workouts and add my treadmill In at night on a regular basis. I drink a lot of pop, so hopefully I can get the water in the system.

I've gained quite abit of muscle but also abunch of fat. I think eating healthier and the water will be good. Life is harder when you have a kid and then a second on the way. Oh to be 24 with no responsibilities that was the life

You goal should be to drink NO pop, trying taking sugars out of your diet. You'll feel like a new man

JRSC00LUDE
01-04-2015, 01:54 PM
I need to get stamina and speed back, I've gotten more fit overall and stronger but I've lost some of the "burst" speed and longevity I used to have. I could use more strength but don't need any more size or fat loss. I've been a consistent 228-232 every morning for six months (6'1", 33" waist) and am quite lean. I'm settled for weight and have the strength I need for my sports, anything else is just bonus.

I know how to do it, I just need to get disciplined with diet/sleep and cardio conditioning. Here's to not being lazy...

baygirl
01-04-2015, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I need to get stamina and speed back, I've gotten more fit overall and stronger but I've lost some of the "burst" speed and longevity I used to have.....

So many jokes.....

JRSC00LUDE
01-04-2015, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by baygirl

So many jokes.....

There sure are but this is a fitness thread, not one about your relationship.

:D