PDA

View Full Version : So I got my stolen car back... now what?

HiTempguy1
01-03-2015, 09:45 AM
My winter beater 1996 honda civic was stolen back in september :(

While I was in mexico over christmas, the St. Albert rcmp apparently pulled the thieves over while they were making a drug run out to a reserve. Car had my (reported stolen/registration cancelled) plate on it and the spare donut I had been driving around on :rofl:

Anyways, now I have it back. What do I do? They tossed the registration and insurance papers, and I can't find the bill of sale. Obviously, I will call AMA today to see about getting insurance put back on, but I am curious if there is anything else I need to take care of with a previously stolen car? I dont want to get bit in the ass down the road! I also feel that making up a new bill of sale would be a bit disingenous, but the amount of fucks I give about that after how much this whole thing has cost me (registries CHARGES YOU to cancel a stolen plate, like the fuck?! Oh well haha) makes me really not give a damn.

Thanks beyond!

Oh yea, anybody wanna buy a civic? ;)

A790
01-03-2015, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Part out donut?

G-ZUS
01-03-2015, 11:27 AM

PM info I may be interested?

16hypen3sp
01-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Your going to get insurance and reg put back on or...?

spikerS
01-03-2015, 01:55 PM
It was last registered to you, you don't need a bill of sale, it is still yours... You can go back to the registries and just get a new plate, assuming your insurance will give you a new pink slip or if they want it inspected first.

dannie
01-03-2015, 02:36 PM

Anyways, now I have it back. What do I do? They tossed the registration and insurance papers, and I can't find the bill of sale. Obviously, I will call AMA today to see about getting insurance put back on, but I am curious if there is anything else I need to take care of with a previously stolen car? I dont want to get bit in the ass down the road! I also feel that making up a new bill of sale would be a bit disingenous, but the amount of fucks I give about that after how much this whole thing has cost me (registries CHARGES YOU to cancel a stolen plate, like the fuck?! Oh well haha) makes me really not give a damn.

Thanks beyond!

Registry staff do not work for free, hence the charge. As far as anything else to do with the vehicle, if the insurance company wrote it off and had the status changed to salvage, then you would require an inspection prior to re-registering. If they didn't take it that far, then theres nothing you need to do besides putting insurance on it and going to the registry, producing valid insurance, your licence and re-plating it.

I'm not sure where the concept of writing a bill of sale came from, or what that would be needed for......

78si
01-03-2015, 03:41 PM
How much for the civic? :)

Tilly
01-03-2015, 09:00 PM
I would suggest selling.
After my car was stolen her innocence was lost. We never maintained the same relationship after that..

rob the knob
01-03-2015, 11:13 PM
i understand.

this is reasoning again other than people paying to gain driving license why this should be government. i understand the reasoning that you are lucrative.

yet for a government service this graduation less.

Originally posted by dannie

Registry staff do not work for free, hence the charge. As far as anything else to do with the vehicle, if the insurance company wrote it off and had the status changed to salvage, then you would require an inspection prior to re-registering. If they didn't take it that far, then theres nothing you need to do besides putting insurance on it and going to the registry, producing valid insurance, your licence and re-plating it.

I'm not sure where the concept of writing a bill of sale came from, or what that would be needed for......

googe
01-04-2015, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
i understand.

this is reasoning again other than people paying to gain driving license why this should be government. i understand the reasoning that you are lucrative.

:english:

dannie
01-04-2015, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by rob the knob
i understand.

If I'm reading your post correct - which I could be interpreting wrong - You're saying it wouldn't be the same if it were government run? Do you think government employees don't get paid? Where do you think money comes from? The majority of registries within the city collect upwards of 10-30 Million dollars a year on behalf of the government. That doesn't include the registry offices take or the GST that has to be paid. That is strictly what is paid to government services each year. You think that doesn't pay for anything or anyone? Give your head a shake.

On the same topic, do you think a government employee couldn't be bribed to hand out a licence? That they somehow would have a different code of conduct that my staff? Government services staff sign the exact same code as my staff. There is no difference. It's the same accountability. If someone is hard up and decided to take a bribe, it wont matter if they work for a private contractor or the government directly. They will take the bribe.