PDA

View Full Version : questions about buying a car from the USA

Fly Fishin'
01-04-2015, 03:07 PM
We are looking to replace our 98 legacy and I'm wondering what there is to buying a car in the US. I know a bit like I will need to upgrade a few things to make it legal in Canada like DRLs, pay duties on the purchase and get inspections done. Is there anyone in Calgary who can just get me the car and take care of the paper work like the jdm retailers?

We are looking at either a forester or a legacy Wagon 2004-2009.

k1l4m
01-04-2015, 03:15 PM
This has a lot of useful info if you haven't gone through it already: http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107279&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Fly Fishin'
01-04-2015, 03:22 PM
Thanks, I tried a few searches but must have missed that one.

94boosted
01-04-2015, 03:26 PM
It's totally worth taking the time to read through the entire thread because chances are any questions you have already got asked 6 times so by the end you'll be proficient. :thumbsup:

Yes there are brokers that can get everything taken care of for you but you'll pay a premium.

Make sure you crunch the numbers because right now with the CAN/USD exchange rate plus 5% tax plus 6.1% duty (if car is manufactured outside of North America) plus brokerage costs it may not be any cheaper to buy from the US.

Fly Fishin'
01-04-2015, 04:16 PM
Sounds good. That thread has answered every question I had. I know the info was here somewhere.

Tik-Tok
01-04-2015, 04:52 PM

Kloubek
01-04-2015, 04:58 PM
You think it would be worthwhile? Back in the day when we were at par I could see it. I bought a vehicle when we were 10% over the American dollar.

But now, factor in modifications, duties, conversion, I just don't see the use of it anymore.

Fly Fishin'
01-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Yah I was just starting to put that together after looking at the price and the addition of the tax.

schocker
01-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
You think it would be worthwhile? Back in the day when we were at par I could see it. I bought a vehicle when we were 10% over the American dollar.

But now, factor in modifications, duties, conversion, I just don't see the use of it anymore.
It is worth it as you have a gigantic market of cars that you can easily ship to montana, but you have to take your time to find a good deal where as before you could generally just find something quick. The required modifications though for most things are mostly nil now though. I think many US cars have DRL now for example. The main benefit would be like a non-winter ever car, specific options, colors etc.

ddduke
01-05-2015, 12:56 AM
It all depends what you're in the market for also. If you're looking for something like a Harley, Corvette or Escalade then there's definitely savings to be had. Even if you're not looking for something incredibly cheap but in very good condition that's rust and rock chip free then places like Arizona are a great place to look.