PDA

View Full Version : Product ads in movies and tv shows.

Seth1968
01-05-2015, 03:35 PM
I guess it was inevitable, but in many instances, the ads are excessive and obtrusive. I'd like to say I won't purchase a product from a company that sticks an advertising label on a another product I purchased, but I suspect this trend is not going away anytime soon.

Apple gives away millions in equipment to studios:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-product-placements-in-tv-and-movies-2012-8?op=1

rage2
01-05-2015, 03:50 PM
You should stop buying anything that appears on TV then, because surprise, everyone does it.

My favorite is still the Samsung Oscars product placement that kinda failed...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/03/03/oscars-host-ellen-degeneres-poses-for-samsung-sponsored-selfie-but-tweets-from-her-iPhone

http://cdn1.appleinsider.com/Ellen.Oscars.2014.iPhone.jpg

Mibz
01-05-2015, 04:00 PM
The only problem with that article is that Apple product placement is pretty subtle and/or contextual compared to most other placement.

Look at GM in the Transformers movies, or literally everything in I, Robot. Making Phil want an iPad wasn't awful product placement, the episode where Haley gets a Toyota sure as shit was. Banners and logos everywhere, always perfectly in-frame.

That's how you piss people off with product placement, make it look awkward.

Seth1968
01-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by rage2
You should stop buying anything that appears on TV then, because surprise, everyone does it.

Ya, that's what I said:)

D'z Nutz
01-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Yeah I don't care when there's product placement if it's subtle, but when it's blatantly obvious with unnatural attention given to it it's annoying. The worst is the Panasonic SD card

XVUipHYKKrU

These two in Fringe were pretty bad too haha

8absVMRhxlA

s4fY1_NSxF0

rage2
01-05-2015, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
The only problem with that article is that Apple product placement is pretty subtle and/or contextual compared to most other placement.
The reason for that is because Apple isn't paying studios for product placement. Studios are asking Apple for freebies because they want to use Apple products on their shows/movies, and Apple is giving away stuff for free so that directors and writers can product place exactly how they want.

At least that's how the article seems to read.

Idiot Stick
01-08-2015, 07:53 AM
"The Glades" and their damn Kia advertisements.

Bleh. Love the show, hate the Kia shit.

killramos
01-08-2015, 08:09 AM
Jeez well product placement works on me something fierce...

I have been railing on Canada Goose jackets for their ridiculous prices for a few weeks now. I was on facebook yesterday and saw that Daniel Craig was wearing one on the set of Spectre. I found myself looking at them online, thinking of buying one.

:rofl:

bjstare
01-16-2015, 04:43 PM
The prices aren't that ridiculous for those jackets though. It doesn't matter what brand it is, if you want a high-end parka, none of them are cheap. I have another brand of parka that no one's probably ever heard of, and the retail price on that was comparable to Canada Goose

Slight sidetrack... If you're looking for another James Bond product placement that's actually nice, shop for a Barbour jacket. I bought mine before I knew Bond wore one in Skyfall. Not cheap, but I love the jacket. Easily my best outerwear purchase last year.

spikerS
01-16-2015, 05:23 PM
I don't mind even the awful product placement. It is 1000x better than the trend I have been seeing sometimes where as you are watching the show, the bottom 1/3rd or side 1/3rd of the screen becomes a commercial, and the show either compresses to fit the rest of the TV, or the commercial just becomes an overlay masking that 1/3rd.

sneek
01-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Microsoft is by far the worst at product placement. It is never subtle.
In any show when I they pull out a Windows Phone you just know they are going to show them using it on screen lol. I pay attention to phones and I have seen 5-6 windows phones in the wild