PDA

View Full Version : Carpet

Dave P
01-05-2015, 06:45 PM
Hey Beyonders,

Where are you guys seeing good deals on carpet these days? The basement is almost at that stage so time to do some shopping.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dave

Also, any one have any idea what it costs to get someone into mud and tape my basement? Its the other job I am going to outsource.

eblend
01-06-2015, 11:34 PM
Are you looking just for carpet, or install as well?

I deal with a guy who has done two of my basements, always a great job and cheaper then anywhere else.

R. Dumais Flooring

Ron: 403-650-6496

Guy has been doing carpets professionally for last 35 years or so he said, and never adverstised, all word of mouth. My parents went on vacation and I wanted to surprise them with a finished carpet job once they come back, from the day I called to the day he made an opening for me and hhave it all installed was 4 days. Highly recommended. This was just a few month back, in 2012 he did my basement as well.

mr2mike
01-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Ron did my basement too. Excellent and shows up when promised.

Outsourced a repair to his relative once for me as Ron was extremely busy and he was great too.

Mud and tape jobs are hard to get someone in if you did the boards yourself. They claim too many people don't board properly, which is true. Screws are off and can't tape a line and cover all the screws at the same time, etc, etc.

Dave P
01-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks Guys, I will be giving Ron a call!

Unknown303
04-20-2015, 02:50 PM
Is he still the guy people recommend.

InRich
04-20-2015, 11:18 PM
Does this guy install and supply?

eblend
04-21-2015, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by InRich
Does this guy install and supply? .

Yes he does. When he did mine I talked to him over the phone i said kind of what i wanted and color, and he brought in some samples. I scheduled him for a week later and he showed up and got it all done perfectly. Used him twice.

eblend
04-21-2015, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Is he still the guy people recommend.

Believe so, he said he will be doing this until he can no longer, he has no plans for retirement. I used him just last summer/fall

deee_wreck
07-27-2015, 11:33 AM
-= Bump =-

Any updates on carpet installers ?

Ron still the guy?

mr2mike
07-28-2015, 10:06 AM
Tried to get Ron to do another place. It became a pain to get him in to even quote. No call backs. I was on a time crunch. Went to End of the Roll and used my realtor's connections. Done in two days.

Unfortunately I've had to downgrade Ron for the time being. Maybe he's too busy at the moment.

He still does excellent work. Just might need some time to get it done.

Lex350
07-28-2015, 12:21 PM
This is the way I get carpet for the last 10 years or so. I go through the contract commercial dealers. They almost always give a better price than retail.

If you want some examples of who just PM me.

deee_wreck
07-28-2015, 02:37 PM
^ thx pm'd

So far been to After-Eight , CDL, Home Depot and End of the Roll

AE and EOTR were pushing mohawk Stuff.

CDL was pushing Shaw stuff.

Home Depot guy was useless

Prices are 25% higher than what my folks just did out in Van for the exact same "mid grade" stuff, $40/sq yard on a shaw plat 50oz textured.

Waldi
11-23-2015, 09:39 AM
I wanted to add another name to the recommended installers, I had a tricky job of re-installing carpet that got wet and was split between three different rooms (including seem re-connecting) and Reggie was the guy who did excellent job. Great guy to deal and very easy going, does quality job, highly recommend him, he works for Cleo and can reach him at 403-651-5160.

C_Dave45
11-23-2015, 09:44 AM
What's "Cleo"? He's working for them now?
I've worked beside Reggie for close to 15 years. One of the best carpet layers I know.

Unknown303
11-23-2015, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Tried to get Ron to do another place. It became a pain to get him in to even quote. No call backs. I was on a time crunch. Went to End of the Roll and used my realtor's connections. Done in two days.

Unfortunately I've had to downgrade Ron for the time being. Maybe he's too busy at the moment.

He still does excellent work. Just might need some time to get it done.

I had a hard time dealing with Ron too. Seemed to be too busy to respond promptly or who knows.

phreezee
11-25-2015, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Waldi
I wanted to add another name to the recommended installers, I had a tricky job of re-installing carpet that got wet and was split between three different rooms (including seem re-connecting) and Reggie was the guy who did excellent job. Great guy to deal and very easy going, does quality job, highly recommend him, he works for Cleo and can reach him at 403-651-5160.

Called this guy to do a quote vs Deerfoot Carpet and he said he didn't have time to deal with drama.

mr2mike
11-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

he didn't have time to deal with drama.
http://images.latinpost.com/data/images/full/51531/kevin-dillon-as-johnny-drama-chase-in-entourage.jpg

InRich
11-26-2015, 03:05 PM
I can't even believe some of these contractors in the city. Telling you they dont want the drama? wtf does that even mean?

The rescission cant come soon enough. Hopefully some of these fuckers start missing mortgage payments so I can tell them I don't want their drama in my life.

RX_EVOLV
11-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Any other recommendations beside Ron? Or you guys have had more luck with him?

I have a relatively small job (basement ~600 sqf + a few steps, no furniture. old carpet already ripped up). Not looking for anything fancy as the house will eventually be torn down or be a rental within the next few years. Just want best bang for buck!

Neil4Speed
11-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

I have a relatively small job (basement ~600 sqf + a few steps, no furniture. old carpet already ripped up). Not looking for anything fancy as the house will eventually be torn down or be a rental within the next few years. Just want best bang for buck!

I have something similar, I just went to Home Depot to get a quote and their rates were very good (about half that of CDL for far better carpet).

I'm looking for some recommendations too

G-ZUS
11-26-2015, 06:41 PM
I got a buddy who does carpetting, if anyone is looking for a carpet installer - pm me for his info

Ariakas
11-28-2015, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

I had Ron install my upstairs and basement carpet in Oct, great job and good price. I didn't have any problems getting in touch with him. He asked me to pick out a carpet at Deerfoot Carpet, I picked out some decent carpet on sale and afterwards he gave me additional discounts for the carpet. I definitely recommend him.

phreezee
12-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Ron is doing my carpet at the moment. Beat my other quote by ~10%. Measured and installed within 3 days. Thx Beyond.
:thumbsup:

mr2mike
12-02-2015, 10:23 AM
Like I said, Ron is awesome to deal with once he commits. Just had issues trying to get him over to quote. Once he can quote, he delivers!!

Waldi
12-02-2015, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I have something similar, I just went to Home Depot to get a quote and their rates were very good (about half that of CDL for far better carpet).

I'm looking for some recommendations too

Like I said, I recommend Reggie, as I just dealt with him on a rush job and first of all, we was very responsive/accommodating and did great job quality wise.

codetrap
11-30-2016, 10:18 AM

phreezee
11-30-2016, 10:40 AM
I used Ron this past summer and he was great.