PDA

View Full Version : What will my '14 Cherokee Trailhawk be worth in 4 years?

A790
01-10-2015, 12:22 PM
Wife and I are making a bet. The Cherokee Trailhawk is ~$42,500 new. I figure in five years, assuming it remains in good condition, we could sell it for $18,500. She thinks we could sell for $24,000.

What are your thoughts?

AE92_TreunoSC
01-10-2015, 12:33 PM
Depends, they have large varying prices that are off set by rental returns that will affect its price in 5 years. The top of the line model trail may be affected by a bargain rental return price, along with possible issues with reliability that doesn't seem as prevalent with the new Jeep unlike its Ford counter part which has been a huge steaming pile of garbage.

A loaded 5 year old Escape is 16,000$ right now.

I would 18 sounds right, if it were any other trim I would argue otherwise.

I considered the Jeep and the SanteFe but resale was a big factor in the Forester, and they are already having super strong resale with minimal losses for the 14 models, I was ready to trade in and found a good value still.

Redlyne_mr2
01-10-2015, 12:34 PM
Mileage is obviously going to play a huge factor in value. Don't forget your 2014 is already a year old so 5 years from now it will be 6 years old. Your wife is assuming a 50+% residual after 6 years which doesn't happen. You're assuming a 43% residual which is also very high. With that being said you're talking retail and not wholesale so with average mileage mileage and decent condition it should be in the mid teens, maybe high teens range if people begin to see value in the Trailhawk package.

snowcat
It's so ugly! People buy these?

Black Gts
I have no idea, don't personally care for jeeps, but I bet over 100k you're right, and under she's right. Bet her the difference and rack up the miles lol.

ExtraSlow
01-10-2015, 12:35 PM
I assume it'll have worse depreciation that the last generation of Cherokees, as it won't have the off-road enthusiasts propping up the resale value.

I don't think the trailhawk designation will add much after the first few years. you'll be cross-shopped with the base-model cherokee by most buyers.

It has somewhat polarizing styling, which always limits potential buyers.

So, my guess is $11,000.

A790
01-10-2015, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Mileage is obviously going to play a huge factor in value. Don't forget your 2014 is already a year old so 5 years from now it will be 6 years old. Your wife is assuming a 50+% residual after 6 years which doesn't happen. You're assuming a 43% residual which is also very high. With that being said you're talking retail and not wholesale so with average mileage mileage and decent condition it should be in the mid teens, maybe high teens range if people begin to see value in the Trailhawk package.
Yea sorry I meant once our loan is paid out (5 year loan, so 4 years from now).

Tik-Tok
01-10-2015, 01:10 PM
My bet is you'll never find out because you'll have sold it in less than 2 years.

A790
01-10-2015, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
My bet is you'll never find out because you'll have sold it in less than 2 years.
:rofl: Were it any other vehicle I'd agree with you, but this is the wife's SUV and she loves it. She does not have car ADD...

The Lexus, though... what's the spread on that one? Does anyone have a pool going for how long I'll have it? :poosie:

FraserB
01-10-2015, 01:17 PM
I'll second what ExtraSlow said. $11,000-$12,000

max_boost
01-10-2015, 06:21 PM
$10K cash deal. :thumbsup:

Sugarphreak
01-10-2015, 06:35 PM

spikerS
01-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Unfortunately Cherokees, compass and patriots are notorious for being one of the worst vehicles for depreciation, once they get up past 100K on the odometer you won't get more than about 12K for one.

Fixed that for you.

CJ, YJ, TJ and the Wrangler hold value better than most vehicles out there.

Unknown303
01-10-2015, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by spikerS

Fixed that for you.

CJ, YJ, TJ and the Wrangler hold value better than most vehicles out there.

God no. People think they do and try to sell them, but in the end they always sell for cheap. Unless it's modified in a manner that the next owner actually appreciates and sees the value in it.

And the new Wrangler is the JK.

spikerS
01-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

God no. People think they do and try to sell them, but in the end they always sell for cheap. Unless it's modified in a manner that the next owner actually appreciates and sees the value in it.

And the new Wrangler is the JK.

Really? That is news to me then. In my experiences with them, I see 3 and 4 year old rigs with 50-75k on them for only $5-6k off the MSRP, and they move...

Unknown303
01-10-2015, 07:31 PM

Really? That is news to me then. In my experiences with them, I see 3 and 4 year old rigs with 50-75k on them for only $5-6k off the MSRP, and they move...

I've owned 3 JKs and a TJ in the last 5 years and have never seen one sell used for only 5k off MSRP. When's the last time you've been selling a Jeep?

spikerS
01-10-2015, 08:13 PM
I haven't sold one in forever. Just my experience when checking vehicles out when were were vehicle shopping.

Not saying you are wrong, I am just surprised with what I am seeing on the lots and on Kijiji, they seem to be holding their value. You are the first person that I have heard to say otherwise.

Sugarphreak
01-10-2015, 08:19 PM

spikerS
01-10-2015, 08:25 PM
I just went and checked Kijiji, and I gotta think you guys are wrong. I am still seeing 2010-2013 JKs (4 door) listing on there for $27-33k and up for the Sahara trims with ~40kms on them. full option Saharas at the time could be had for $38-42k after discounts and shit. And the dealer ones seem to be even higher...

edit corrected it a bit.

JRSC00LUDE
01-10-2015, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
$10K cash deal. :thumbsup:

InRich will give him 8 G notes. Cash money.

Hoe.

Unknown303
01-10-2015, 08:46 PM
I just went and checked Kijiji, and I gotta think you guys are wrong. I am still seeing 2010-2013 JKs (4 door) listing on there for $27-33k and up for the Sahara trims with ~40kms on them. full option Saharas at the time could be had for $38-42k after discounts and shit. And the dealer ones seem to be even higher...

edit corrected it a bit.

People can price things on Kijiji however they see fit. It doesn't mean it's selling like that. Same thing with the dealerships.

When I traded my JK in for my Ram they had the JK listed on their site a week later for the same price I originally paid for it. And I blew up a motor in that Jeep. If anyone came to look at it and asked to see the service records they'd see it had a engine replaced. I even had a person message me on Calgaryjeep about it as they were looking at buying it, After I told them about everything I'd be surprised if they didn't go in offering 10k less.

spikerS
01-10-2015, 08:49 PM
well, you are not exactly changing my mind here, just confirming what I am seeing, and no proof to the contrary.

Until someone that has actually bought or sold a used one recently chimes in, I have to assume that they are selling for close to these numbers, else we would see them listed differently.

and I just checked KBB and even they say a 2012 Sahara with most options and 50,000kms in good condition is 32k

ExtraSlow
01-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Hoe.
That's 8 all-in right? Does all-in include admin fees and GST?

Unknown303
01-10-2015, 09:16 PM
well, you are not exactly changing my mind here, just confirming what I am seeing, and no proof to the contrary.

Until someone that has actually bought or sold a used one recently chimes in, I have to assume that they are selling for close to these numbers, else we would see them listed differently.

and I just checked KBB and even they say a 2012 Sahara with most options and 50,000kms in good condition is 32k

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

spikerS
01-10-2015, 09:26 PM

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

What? You are trying to call me on something here, and your argument is "because I said so".

Even using your words, your JK was at a dealer for THE SAME PRICE YOU PAID.

So chances are, someone bought it for at best $5k less.

Sounds to me like they hold their value pretty well.

:banghead:

JRSC00LUDE
01-10-2015, 09:44 PM

Sugarphreak
01-10-2015, 10:04 PM

spikerS
01-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Hey, don't take my word for it.

Kelly Blue Book lists the 2014 Jeep Wrangler the #3 vehicle to hold it's value...

#3: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Get to know this car2014 Jeep Wrangler
The Jeep Wrangler isn't just one of the world's most famous off-roaders, it's also a perennial resale value standout.

Resale Value
at 36 months: 70.3%
at 60 months: 59.1%

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-top-10-cars/

Another one, lists the Jeep wrangler at #3
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11973352/8/10-cars-that-retain-their-value-when-you-sell-in-five-years.html

Resale value retained after five years: 55.3%

It's loud, it's not terribly reliable, it sucks up gas at a combined 19 miles per gallon and it doesn't store a whole lot unless you get the stretched-out Unlimited version. That said, nothing looks quite like it and nothing's an acceptable off-road substitute at this price. The ground clearance and four-wheel drive come in awfully handy in miserable winter weather, while that removable hardtop makes it a sweet open-air ride in the summer. Car buyers don't pick up a used version of the Wrangler because they want to truck the kids around or make grocery runs. They buy it because they want a "Jeep," and all the frivolities that go along with it.

Ranked 6 here....
http://www.cbsnews.com/media/7-cars-that-hold-their-value-best/6/

Jeep Wrangler. This off-roader is all about crawling over rocks and through the mud. And the suspension that enables those acrobatics can mean a not-too-comfortable ride in commuting or long road trips. In an adaptation from its Army origins, the Wrangler now comes in a four-door version that is more passenger-friendly.

But hey, I guess everyone is wrong because Unknown303 said so.

Redlyne_mr2
01-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Yup Wrangler does great on resale.

FraserB
01-10-2015, 10:30 PM
The Wrangler will hold its value. There is little competition for it and it can be cheaply and extensively modded.

The KL Cherokee is nearly impossible to even lift and the look cuts the market.

The depreciation for the rest of the Jeep line is normal for the industry.

corsvette
01-10-2015, 11:04 PM
I'm always shocked at how much wranglers/TJ's bring at auctions. The Grand Cherokees are quite the opposite, unless they have diesels they take a huge hit in resale. I'd expect the new Cherokee to do well in resale, it slots in that right size SUV that everybody wants. Plus, people associate Jeep to rugged and hip SUV's. Even the POS Liberty did way better in resale than it ever deserved.

I think smaller jeeps and Wranglers should do OK resale wise.

Rocket1k78
01-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Now way $18,5 is happening after 5 years. Those are unique in a way that most people dont even know what the hell it is and the looks are very controversial.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Hoe.

I dont know how a grown man could thinks its ok to send an offer like that lol

J.M.
01-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
Now way $18,5 is happening after 5 years. Those are unique in a way that most people dont even know what the hell it is and the looks are very controversial.

I dont know how a grown man could thinks its ok to send an offer like that lol

It's InRich, no further explanation is required.

blownz
01-12-2015, 05:29 PM
The only thing that might help you is that it is the trailhawk and a little more unique than the other versions.

Otherwise I would expect it below 50% by 4 years and worse at 5. Reliability is still unproven, but most Jeep products are brutal which leads to the lower resale.

jonnycat
01-15-2015, 10:09 AM
I agree that a 50-60k km Wrangler won't be $5k of list unless it has aftermarket wheels, 35"s, lift, bumpers and a winch. These just make it easier for the next owner, so they don't have to do it themselves.

However, they do retain their value better than most. They tank $10 grand immediately (trade in value) about 22%, but then seem to stay around there for a long time.

My 14 currently books for $31k and a 2013 books for just under $29k and a 2012 books for $27k

carson blocks
01-15-2015, 12:22 PM
I think what will hurt the value on your Trailhawk is that it's the high end version of a lower end vehicle. The base model starts at $23k MSRP, which being a Chrysler product means it will leave dealers at or under $20k and will be worth maybe $12k in 5 years. Your Trailhawk will definitely fetch more than the base model, and I think most buyers would be willing to spend ~20% more for the top model on a 5 year old vehicle, which puts my guess at $14.5k, assuming the mileage is under 100k.

I agree with posters on Jeep Wranglers holding ridiculous resale values. I had a '09 JK Wrangler 'S' Soft Top, which was the absolute cheapest model they had at the time. The only options were A/C and side steps. IIRC, I paid $20,300 out the door inc GST brand new. 1.5 years later I sold it with 25,000km needing tires, a windshield, and with a dent in the bumper for $18500 to a dealer (and I bought a ~$2000 used Jetta, so it wasn't like there was room to show me an artificially inflated trade in price). So, my 1.5 years of driving, using up a set of tires and a windshield, and putting 25k on it cost me ~$1800. Not many other vehicles you can pull that off with.

ercchry
01-15-2015, 12:59 PM

I've owned 3 JKs and a TJ in the last 5 years and have never seen one sell used for only 5k off MSRP. When's the last time you've been selling a Jeep?

i only lost $5.5k on mine :rofl:

and that was a trade in... and it had a CEL on when they appraised it

Unknown303
01-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

i only lost $5.5k on mine :rofl:

and that was a trade in... and it had a CEL on when they appraised it

But you probably didn't pay MSRP for it.. probably?:dunno:

ercchry
01-15-2015, 01:48 PM

no, do people actually do that? i think i got close to $8k off :nut:

jonnycat
01-15-2015, 03:09 PM

Thats what makes it even better. Mine stickered for $46,000, ($2500) Rebate, ($3000) employee price discount, ($1,000) current owner rebate, ($1500) credit for soft top and factory wheels for a total of $38,000 retail.

I am sure I could sell it for $36,000-$38,000 right now but after 2 years it should book for $29k retail for $32-33k costing me only $5k-6k in depreciation over 2 years