PDA

View Full Version : 150 Car Pile-Up In Michigan

dj_rice
01-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Be careful on the roads out there guys

W9fI5M6_XVk

Watching that one Semi @ 0:51 mark coming full on was tough...RIP to all who lost their lives...

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102325520

Jeeper1986
01-10-2015, 04:42 PM
wheres the free cake that every one is just flying is that kinda weather wow

FixedGear
01-10-2015, 04:44 PM
^wow, that's a tough video to watch

dj_rice
01-10-2015, 04:47 PM
In some reports, it says there was a truck carrying fireworks that exploded. Just pure insanity.

And another one was carrying acid.

Robin Goodfellow
01-10-2015, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by FixedGear
^wow, that's a tough video to watch

Jesus Christ... A semi of Formic Acid? That shit will make breathing very unpleasant for anyone downwind.

JustinMCS
01-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Why are they all driving that fast with that low visibility! What a horrific video.

Wish someone would have gone ahead and warned drivers instead of recording it :(

dj_rice
01-10-2015, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by JustinMCS
Why are they all driving that fast with that low visibility! What a horrific video.

Wish someone would have gone ahead and warned drivers instead of recording it :(

And..how would one go ahead and do that if they're car was in the accident?

Do u want them to stand in the middle of the road waving drivers down hoping they don't get creamed in process too?

CompletelyNumb
01-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Jesus. I didn't see a single good driver in that clip. Wonder how it all started.

JustinMCS
01-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

And..how would one go ahead and do that if they're car was in the accident?

Do u want them to stand in the middle of the road waving drivers down hoping they don't get creamed in process too?

Don't know about you, but I have flares in my trunk, orange pylons, flashlights, etc etc. Could easily WALK 500m up and light a few of those babies to get peoples attention. Do what you can, etc.

FixedGear
01-10-2015, 05:03 PM

Don't know about you, but I have flares in my trunk, orange pylons, flashlights, etc etc. Could easily WALK 500m up and light a few of those babies to get peoples attention. Do what you can, etc.

Dude, it all happened within a matter of a few minutes. You can hardly expect someone to get their flares, sprint across the freeway in the middle of an ongoing pileup and a snow storm, and run half a kilometer through fresh snow and deploy the flares all within 60 seconds. :rolleyes:

Stuart
01-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Jesus. I didn't see a single good driver in that clip. Wonder how it all started.

I'd say the truck driver around 1:30 did a good job of coming to a stop well short of the pile. Too bad he likely got creamed afterwords by another load of morons.

Tik-Tok
01-10-2015, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
OAs_pKl_HLg

Some different footage that I posted in the winter thread.

Dude, it all happened within a matter of a few minutes. You can hardly expect someone to get their flares, sprint across the freeway in the middle of an ongoing pileup and a snow storm, and run half a kilometer through fresh snow and deploy the flares all within 60 seconds. :rolleyes:

Yes, you can expect that. Last year driving through BC on #1, we witnessed an old RAV4 do a barrel roll on the ice in front of us. About 4 cars stopped, and as soon as I scoped out the other people (younger, able people, and one girl yelled she was a nurse), the first I did was grab my safety vest and flares from the trunk and fucking bolted up the highway to warn people.

Those dolts are just standing there recording the devastation instead of doing anything of value.

FixedGear
01-10-2015, 05:30 PM
^that a far, far less catastrophic situation than the one shown in he video.

Shlade
01-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Why are you saying RIP?

Doesn't look like anyone died...

nismodrifter
01-10-2015, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Shlade
Why are you saying RIP?

Doesn't look like anyone died...

1 Canadian truck driver died

Here is the fireworks truck that exploded
E3NU-CuLtVs

pN6ZRhher5A

Darell_n
01-10-2015, 05:44 PM
All the drivers involved should have their licenses permanently revoked. WTF people.

FixedGear
01-10-2015, 05:58 PM
Wow that firework truck explosion is almost comical, something straight out of a movie. Amazing.

Speed_69
01-10-2015, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n
All the drivers involved should have their licenses permanently revoked. WTF people.

I hate how everyone is blaming the drivers. Yes, it looks like it to me that all of these people are going way too fast for the conditions but we have no idea how bad the actual road conditions and visibility actually were without actually personally being on that road. If you were on it, you would've probably crashed too. Obviously it looked fine from afar as you can tell nobody could see it even from 50m away, or else there wouldn't have been nearly 200 vehicles involved.

FixedGear
01-10-2015, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

I hate how everyone is blaming the drivers. Yes, it looks like it to me that all of these people are going way too fast for the conditions but we have no idea how bad the actual road conditions and visibility actually were without actually personally being on that road. If you were on it, you would've probably crashed too. Obviously it looked fine from afar as you can tell nobody could see it even from 50m away, or else there wouldn't have been nearly 200 vehicles involved.

Yep I agree 100%. Easy to criticize from the comfort of your keyboard.

In my experience, the vast majority of drivers are overly cautious.

C_Dave45
01-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

^^ THIS.

I lived through an almost identical pile up many years ago in BC. It was on a simple straight stretch of highway between Chilliwack and Abbotsford. January...cold, blowing snow, but hardly blizzard conditions. Right up to the particular spot it happened, the roads were fairly dry, with a few skiffs of snow on them, blowing and snowing lightly. Everyone doing a comfortable 100-110 kmh's. We came around a corner and it opened up from behind a mountain, with HUGE snowdrifts on either side of the highway, and almost INSTANTLY you couldn't see 20 feet in front of you. The panic hit us...do I slam on the brakes? Do I keep the speed up? All of a sudden there was a car here, a truck there..didn't know where on the road I was. We slowed to around 30 k's and I inched my way past the few vehicles that had crashed. About 5 minutes later the pile up started. And finally a semi crashed into everyone and exploded. I think there was around 15 or 20 vehicles and a few deaths. But just seconds before it happened the road was fine.

Shlade
01-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter

1 Canadian truck driver died

Here is the fireworks truck that exploded
E3NU-CuLtVs

pN6ZRhher5A

Ah. OP's link doesn't mention that

SmAcKpOo
01-10-2015, 08:27 PM
C_Dave, 100km/h is way too fast for even those road conditions. Yes, I blame the drivers.

HiTempguy1
01-11-2015, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
C_Dave, 100km/h is way too fast for even those road conditions. Yes, I blame the drivers.

Exactly.

And as others stated, somebody should have been Waaaaaaaaaay up the road warning people. We do it in rally when we crash in the middle of the woods in feet ot snow, you can do it on a highway.

And for the record, GETTING OUT OF YOUR CAR IS INSANITY. So many people could have been hurt, your car is the safest place to be...as long as its not a semi that hits you at 100km/h.

This reminds me of the pileup in 2012 or 2013 between red deer and edmonton.

At the end of the day, it was due to driver incompetence, not just "weather". If people took driving as seriously as they should, this wouldnt happen. And if people werent lazy assholes, they'd have ran up the road to slow people down.

Kijho
01-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I would have gotten outta the car and ran as far away as I could - I'd be scared of a semi barreling down and landing ontop/ crushing me inside the vehicle.

This video has a bit more footage than the one in 2014/15 snowfall thread. The little girl screaming "daddy" is awful, goosebumps :(

All the vehicles just seem to be FLYING into the massive pile of cars. If you can't see far ahead of you to be able to see this, you shouldn't be going that damn fast!! At 1:30 you can see a semi (and what looks like some form of anti locking braking kicking in) coming to a complete stop several meters before the pile. That semi was presumably going a safe speed.. (or perhaps heard on a radio of the accident..)

Nuts. Next time I'm on Deerfoot in blizzard conditions and people are going 40km/h with 4 way hazards blinking I'll remember this video and should be more understanding and less frustrated. RIP to all who lost lives in this.

JRSC00LUDE
01-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Wow, lots of self righteous, big talking, armchair pricks coming out in this thread. :rofl:

FixedGear
01-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Wow, lots of self righteous, big talking, armchair pricks coming out in this thread. :rofl:

exactly. the comical part is that despite their best efforts to appear superior to everyone (including the victims), their comments only show they don't have any experience driving in conditions like that.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

as others stated, somebody should have been Waaaaaaaaaay up the road warning people. We do it in rally when we crash in the middle of the woods in feet ot snow, you can do it on a highway.

At the end of the day, it was due to driver incompetence, not just "weather". If people took driving as seriously as they should, this wouldnt happen. And if people werent lazy assholes, they'd have ran up the road to slow people down.

I know you're not the brightest bulb in the bucket, but you do realize that this whole thing happened in a matter of seconds, right? I'd like to see you run across that road and through the ongoing accident scene (like frogger), sprint a half a km up the road through the blizzard, and then somehow effectively warn all of the oncoming traffic so they can safely slow and prevent the entire accident -- all in less than the 2 minute length of the video. you live in fantasy land dude.

Originally posted by Kijho

At 1:30 you can see a semi (and what looks like some form of anti locking braking kicking in) coming to a complete stop several meters before the pile. That semi was presumably going a safe speed.. (or perhaps heard on a radio of the accident..)

Yes, clearly the truckers sent out warnings via radio, which is why that semi was able to stop. Since that happens only near the end of the video, and we see at least 2-3 previous semis smash into the pile, it just shows how quickly the entire thing unfolded.

Again, can't believe the idiots that are criticizing the victims for not running up the road and stopping oncoming traffic. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Also, anyone saying the 150 cars including trucks were driving too fast for the conditions have clearly never driven through the midwest during winter. Freeway conditions can change in a split second, which is why we call this an "accident."

StupidWade
01-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

They're just young. We were all that stupid when we were their age.

Canucks3322
01-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Ya but he drives "rally" though...so I am pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

speedog
01-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Another highway pile-up in the USA from December, 2013 - critique away, from a highway camera in Wisconsin. Conditions appear to be relatively clear but probably included slippery road surfaces..

mgvOHnujspg

FixedGear
01-11-2015, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Ya but he drives "rally" though...so I am pretty sure he knows what he's talking about.

:rofl:

Sugarphreak
01-11-2015, 12:53 PM

FixedGear
01-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Uh... he does rally actually

what's your point? does that make him any less of an idiot?

codetrap
01-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Freeway conditions can change in a split second, which is why we call this an "accident." Aaaactualy, they're pretty much always called collisions now. Mostly because 90% of all collisions are due to human error.

Just pointing that out to you man. :)

Sugarphreak
01-11-2015, 01:23 PM

FixedGear
01-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

so call him out on the part of his point of view you disagree with, it undermines your own position to call somebody out on something that turns out to be true.

I didn't "call him out" on anything that turned out to be true.

Darell_n
01-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by StupidWade

They're just young. We were all that stupid when we were their age.

I've had my license for 23 years, drive for a living, and still believe all the drivers in the video are horrid. I've done things on the road, growing up, that would make most people cringe and shake their head but if I f*cked up I knew it was on me. They were each responsible for the speed and direction of their tin boxes and they all failed miserably.

HiTempguy1
01-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Well, yes, I do thanks.

Immediate response is to assess the situation, make sure everyone is ok, then (when safe to do so) take a warning device and go back a significant distance so whatever caught you out does not catch other people out, which can be quite a ways considering the speeds involved.

So, um, yes I do know what I am talking about. The conditions you travel through in the middle of a forest are much worse than a median on a highway with plowed pavement on your side up until you have to cross. :dunno:

Continue on in your ignorance though. I'm not saying everyone could have avoided this, shit happens. But the guy with the camera didn't seem to have much of a problem running around and filming the carnage.

Of course, I'm the kind of guy who gets out of my vehicle to give people a push when they are stuck on busy roads, not an ass who just leaves them to struggle. No different then here, after insuring my own safety, you are damn right I would be trying to flag people down.

Who keeps saying this happened in "seconds"? It took over a minute of video for 5 vehicles to crash into the already occurred pileup, this took well over 5 minutes for 150 cars to crash. Nice try though. In that amount of time, somebody easily could have ran up the road and across the ditch, as I HAVE DONE BEFORE. My other experiences not withstanding.

And finally, why does your opinion somehow trump mine? I simply am not for making excuses for people. As someone else stated, they aren't accidents, 90% are collisions which could be avoided if not for driver error.

:rolleyes:

I know you're not the brightest bulb in the bucket

Odd, I have the exact same opinion of you. Glad we can be friends. Your hyperbole driven over exaggeration of the video is humorous, but is not at all what actually happened, as I've explained above. And I have been in those situations. At least I've made an admirer though :love:

bjstare
01-11-2015, 03:48 PM

I know you're not the brightest bulb in the bucket, but you do realize that this whole thing happened in a matter of seconds, right? I'd like to see you run across that road and through the ongoing accident scene (like frogger), sprint a half a km up the road through the blizzard, and then somehow effectively warn all of the oncoming traffic so they can safely slow and prevent the entire accident -- all in less than the 2 minute length of the video. you live in fantasy land dude.

If you think this is the best way to warn people about to travel into the collosion, it's pretty clear who the idiot is here.

Certainly, it wouldn't occur to someone who is travelling on the opposite side of the road as the accident to just continue driving for 45s (enough time to cover a lot of distance), and at that point try to flag down oncoming traffic. It makes much more sense to run through the accident, and head up the road on foot. :rofl:

SKR
01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
Immediate response is to assess the situation, make sure everyone is ok, then (when safe to do so) take a warning device and go back a significant distance so whatever caught you out does not catch other people out, which can be quite a ways considering the speeds involved.

But the guy with the camera didn't seem to have much of a problem running around and filming the carnage.

In that amount of time, somebody easily could have ran up the road and across the ditch, as I HAVE DONE BEFORE. My other experiences not withstanding.

Is the person filming, and the people around him, the only people involved here? Or is it possible that another person, or people, ran up the road to try to to get people to stop? It's hard to tell from the videos posted so I wouldn't mind hearing from an expert.

FixedGear
01-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

If you think this is the best way to warn people about to travel into the collosion, it's pretty clear who the idiot is here.

Certainly, it wouldn't occur to someone who is travelling on the opposite side of the road as the accident to just continue driving for 45s (enough time to cover a lot of distance), and at that point try to flag down oncoming traffic. It makes much more sense to run through the accident, and head up the road on foot. :rofl:

I didn't make it up, it's what the armchair experts suggested should have been done.

hitempguy does it all the time though feet of snow in the forest, so clearly it would have been the best way to prevent the 150 car pile up.

Chandler_Racing
01-11-2015, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Everyone doing a comfortable 100-110 kmh's. We came around a corner and it opened up from behind a mountain, with HUGE snowdrifts on either side of the highway, and almost INSTANTLY you couldn't see 20 feet in front of you.

110 km/h around a corner, with huge snow drifts and limited visibility.

Seriously? :dunno:

I'm not saying that I'm an angel but surely you don't think that is normal...

FixedGear
01-11-2015, 04:09 PM
Lots of comments saying these folks were driving too fast for the conditions... Might as well go a step further and point out the stupidity of these people for driving in the snow in the first place. Seriously, who in their right mind would ride in a tin box on snow and ice? Any moran that does that is just asking for it IMO. I'm actually even surprised interstates are open in the winter.

CompletelyNumb
01-11-2015, 04:16 PM
So much butthurt coming from FixedGear.

FixedGear
01-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Sick at home today :(

speedog
01-11-2015, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
So much butthurt coming from FixedGear.
That's because he's critical of anyone who is a 'moran'.

FixedGear
01-11-2015, 04:37 PM
^well you obviously didn't get my point. :rofl:

speedog
01-11-2015, 04:43 PM
I did but it reads very poorly.

C_Dave45
01-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

110 km/h around a corner, with huge snow drifts and limited visibility.

Seriously? :dunno:

I'm not saying that I'm an angel but surely you don't think that is normal...

Yes obviously, you being there and all, can tell me exactly what speed I should have been travelling. :rolleyes:

Good God the comments from these discussions get as stupid as fuck. From people knowing what the road condition was like a 1/4 mile before an accident scene they see in a youtube clip, to knowing the mental state and tire condition of every vehicle and driver out there.

FFS...It was normal driving conditions. I cant remember, your honour, if I was doing 104.5 km/h or maybe it was 112...oh wait...no it was 93 1/2 km/h....:facepalm:

My point BEING, dickwad.....the conditions were fine, and then quickly descended to complete white out. It happens. If you don't think it does, then once you've learned to shave more than twice a week, you'll realize, things aren't always what they seem!

I saw someone doing 120 down Deerfoot the other night...no, wait it was everyone. Tell me oh Omnipotent one...how fast should they have been going on Jan 8, 8:13 pm, Southbound on a 3 km straight stretch.....
Dunno why the CPS even bother investigating any accident scene....fuck, just hand over a 3 second dashcam clip to the beyond forum, where everyone can decipher, decide, come to a conclusion of exactly what went wrong, who was at fault, how they could've prevented it, and what can be done in the future to completely negate any chance of it happening again...all at no cost to taxpayers!!!!!

Fucking moronic discussions...why do I always get sucked into them.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Chandler_Racing
01-11-2015, 10:21 PM
Old man has his panties in a knot.

I don't need to be there you explained the driving conditions in your post.

89s1
01-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Yes obviously, you being there and all, can tell me exactly what speed I should have been travelling. :rolleyes:

Good God the comments from these discussions get as stupid as fuck. From people knowing what the road condition was like a 1/4 mile before an accident scene they see in a youtube clip, to knowing the mental state and tire condition of every vehicle and driver out there.

FFS...It was normal driving conditions. I cant remember, your honour, if I was doing 104.5 km/h or maybe it was 112...oh wait...no it was 93 1/2 km/h....:facepalm:

My point BEING, dickwad.....the conditions were fine, and then quickly descended to complete white out. It happens. If you don't think it does, then once you've learned to shave more than twice a week, you'll realize, things aren't always what they seem!

I saw someone doing 120 down Deerfoot the other night...no, wait it was everyone. Tell me oh Omnipotent one...how fast should they have been going on Jan 8, 8:13 pm, Southbound on a 3 km straight stretch.....
Dunno why the CPS even bother investigating any accident scene....fuck, just hand over a 3 second dashcam clip to the beyond forum, where everyone can decipher, decide, come to a conclusion of exactly what went wrong, who was at fault, how they could've prevented it, and what can be done in the future to completely negate any chance of it happening again...all at no cost to taxpayers!!!!!

Fucking moronic discussions...why do I always get sucked into them.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hey now, lets leave shaving frequency out of this. Bit of a baby face here, I could get away with once a week if I wanted to push the stubble a bit and I'm 33. :devil:

GotRice?
01-13-2015, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Another highway pile-up in the USA from December, 2013 - critique away, from a highway camera in Wisconsin. Conditions appear to be relatively clear but probably included slippery road surfaces..

mgvOHnujspg

oh man... those two people standing near the top right of the video from about 1:00 on.:banghead:

anarchy
01-13-2015, 02:13 PM
Here's a dashcam video of the accident:
http://www.11alive.com/story/weather/2015/01/12/deadly-pile-up-i-94-galesburg/21672245/

zipdoa
01-13-2015, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Aaaactualy, they're pretty much always called collisions now. Mostly because 90% of all collisions are due to human error.

Just pointing that out to you man. :)

I would argue that 100% of collisions are due to human error. You can isolate the human component of any crash fairly easily.

FixedGear
01-13-2015, 07:44 PM
they're still "accidents" though, except in cases where the driver intentionally wrecks. :D