PDA

View Full Version : Who do you do your banking with?

swak
01-11-2015, 07:28 PM
I am with TD currently, however i feel like i'm getting raped by service charges etc. I have an unlimited account with them but still get all these extra random fees... RBC looks a lot better for this from what i've seen...

But from first hand experience, beyond, who are you guys with??

eblend
01-11-2015, 07:37 PM
PC Financial.

I dunno, everything is free, I don't do anything that requires a teller. Been with them forever. My wife is with them as well for all her day to day banking.

My wife has a TD account that she got when she came to Canada, we don't use it but she keeps the min in there just for kicks and giggles to get the 1 withdrawal per month, so if we need to go see a teller for any reason, I go to TD and deal with them. Usually I don't hold any money there, just transfer from PC whenever needed, like when we bought a house ect.

Speed_69
01-11-2015, 08:04 PM
PC Financial here as well. It's pretty convenient because I can make withdrawals/deposits at Superstore location or at CIBC's.

I'm like eblend, I only need to go to a teller maybe once a year. I still have my TD account for that but I still have it classified as a student account up until April so I don't have to keep a minimum amount and no monthly fee. I'll probably be closing my account once my student account expires and need to switch to a regular value account.

C_Dave45
01-11-2015, 08:06 PM
RBC Here. Mortgage, LOC, CC's, VIP chequing status (No holds on ATM deposits) $10k POS limit.
Plus I love the Avion Visa. Both personal and business Visas build up my points for travel. Travel rewards pays for everything, including taxes, with no blackouts on anything.

Yeah I know...I pay for it with a higher interest rate. But I'm happy.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-11-2015, 08:08 PM
RBC. They tend to fuck things up and will probably move everything once my mortgage comes up for renewal.

Cos
01-11-2015, 08:09 PM

quick_scar
01-11-2015, 08:26 PM
PC

egmilano
01-11-2015, 08:31 PM
td for loc, cc, chq and both savings. no hold's

J-D
01-11-2015, 08:44 PM
RBC. Have been with them since I was a kid and there are branches everywhere. Too much hassle to switch.

ExtraSlow
01-11-2015, 09:07 PM
RBC, I have the VIP banking package, which isn't exactly cheap at $30/mo, but that covers four bank accounts, plus two Avion Infinite credit cards, plus a LOC.
Don't pay for Email money transfers, don't pay for anything else actually. It's pretty decent. And that Avion card is bitching.
:hitit: :hitit:

J.M.
01-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Been with TD for a long time. Are you keeping the monthly minimum in the unlimited account?

Cos
01-11-2015, 09:46 PM

adamc
01-11-2015, 09:49 PM
RBC personal, Scotia business.

Scotia's small business advisors have been pretty helpful.

sneek
01-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Whoever gives me the best deal! I am really cheap so I shop around a lot for these types of things.

Tangerine for savings/chequing when they have promotions
PC Financial for savings/chequing when they have promotions
CIBC Investor Edge, TD Waterhouse and Scotia iTrade for investments excluding fixed income.
JP Morgan for fixed income
HSBC for foreign exchange if I don't get a better rate with JPMC

DeleriousZ
01-11-2015, 09:56 PM
CIBC for everything day to day... LOC, Chequing accts etc. Tangerine for savings stuff like rrsp and tfsa.

J.M.
01-11-2015, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I'm going to assume not, that is why I had mentioned it earlier. Do you lock your minimum in?

You can lock in the minimum? Haha I never knew this. How do you lock in the minimum lol

guessboi
01-11-2015, 11:04 PM
RBC for day to day banking. No fees when you have different types of products with them.
Also been with them since I was a kid. 25+ years.

Sugarphreak
01-11-2015, 11:23 PM

dj_rice
01-11-2015, 11:29 PM
PC Financial for my everyday banking/savings account/TFSA. Everything free.

RBC for my mortgage/LOC/investment RRSP/GIC's/safety deposit box. Everything free as well since I have all the accounts to get it free. I went and seen them when I first got my mortgage and talked to an Advisor just to inquire about a RBC Avion credit card. Never approved or went ahead with one during that visit.

A few weeks later, one is sitting in my mailbox. Not even sure how that happened, but the Advisor must of clicked on approve and I made a big stink about it but decided to just keep it vs cancelling it and having it show up on my credit file as cancelled card. They gave me one year free fee waived because of it = $120 value. I've never actually used it yet so its nice to have a Visa in the wallet for travelling.

FraserB
01-12-2015, 01:30 AM
TD, All Inclusive account, zero fees for anything (CC included)

georgemagana
01-12-2015, 03:21 AM
^that. TD as well with zero fees for anything including the credit card.

nickyh
01-12-2015, 08:34 AM
PC financial for day to day banking. It's only annoying when you need a bank draft though.
Tangerine for long term savings.

codetrap
01-12-2015, 08:51 AM
PC Financial & PC Mastercard, black edition. :) Points = Free Groceries FTW! TD Waterhouse currently for RRSPs etc, but looking at moving to Scotia iTrade.

JRSC00LUDE
01-12-2015, 08:59 AM
RBC for my day to day, I don't pay any fees.

freshprince1
01-12-2015, 09:40 AM
CIBC, since I was 12....so over 20 years. Checking, Savings, a couple VISA's, LOC. Have done some small car loans in the past.

Their banking hours are not very good, but I hardly ever need a teller. Online, Telephone, Mobile Apps and service has always been excellent. Happy client.

$10/mo for unlimited chequings account transactions (deposit, withdrawls, transfers etc). eSavings and other accounts have no fees as long as transactions are online.

Strider
01-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by swak
I am with TD currently, however i feel like i'm getting raped by service charges etc. I have an unlimited account with them but still get all these extra random fees... RBC looks a lot better for this from what i've seen...

But from first hand experience, beyond, who are you guys with??

I assume you mean the all inclusive account? And you keep the minimum $5k?

edit: whoops, didn't realize there's actually one that's called "unlimited". Time to bump it up to an All-Inclusive.

Curious what other fees you're getting charged? Withdrawing at other banks' ATMs? Email money transfers?

I went in for the RBC Banking Statement Challenge (http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/open-an-account/mass-statement-challenge/) one lunch hour, mostly for the free $50 prepaid Visa, but also to see if I could find a better package.

I found that their VIP plan for $30 a month (with no way to waive it), has a lot less features than the TD All Inclusive.

Cos
01-12-2015, 10:53 AM

flipstah
01-12-2015, 11:24 AM
What are these 'random' fees? I have TD and whatever fee I get is justified.

eblend
01-12-2015, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
I've never actually used it yet so its nice to have a Visa in the wallet for travelling.

If you ever decide to cancel that Visa, you should get the Amazon.ca Chase card. No forex fees so it's my go to travel card. I use it everywhere I go exclusively knowing that I am saving 2.5% of most other cards.

jwslam
01-12-2015, 01:43 PM
http://www.atb.com/personal-banking/tools-and-resources/Pages/ATB-Friends.aspx?utm_source=atbcom&utm_medium=hero&utm_campaign=RFS-2015-Q4CoreBnk

FiveFreshFish
01-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Strider

I assume you mean the all inclusive account? And you keep the minimum $5k?

edit: whoops, didn't realize there's actually one that's called "unlimited". Time to bump it up to an All-Inclusive.

Curious what other fees you're getting charged? Withdrawing at other banks' ATMs? Email money transfers?

I went in for the RBC Banking Statement Challenge (http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/open-an-account/mass-statement-challenge/) one lunch hour, mostly for the free $50 prepaid Visa, but also to see if I could find a better package.

I found that their VIP plan for $30 a month (with no way to waive it), has a lot less features than the TD All Inclusive.

I have the TD All-Inclusive account and keep at least $5000 to avoid the monthly fee. http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/accounts/chequing-accounts/all-inclusive.jsp

The All-Inclusive does not include email money transfers ($1.50 per transaction). :thumbsdow

However, it includes a USD Visa ($40/yr) and a USD account. Buy USD goods on USD visa and pay it off with the USD account. You get a better exchange rate when you transfer money between the CAD and USD accounts. Cheaper than buying USD goods with CAD visa. Especially advantageous if you ever have to return goods.

jwslam
01-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
Buy USD goods on USD visa and pay it off with the USD account. You get a better exchange rate when you transfer money between the CAD and USD accounts. Cheaper than buying USD goods with CAD visa. Especially advantageous if you ever have to return goods.
Amazon Visa FTW

Strider
01-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
The All-Inclusive does not include email money transfers ($1.50 per transaction). :thumbsdow

However, it includes a USD Visa ($40/yr) and a USD account. Buy USD goods on USD visa and pay it off with the USD account. You get a better exchange rate when you transfer money between the CAD and USD accounts. Cheaper than buying USD goods with CAD visa. Especially advantageous if you ever have to return goods.

I was guessing either other bank ATM withdrawals or email money transfers were the fees that OP was getting... AFAIK, no bank account covers those.

Bad news on the USD account. As of March 15, they're going to start charging $2/month for the borderless account unless you have a minimum balance of $3k in it.

Strider
01-13-2015, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Amazon Visa FTW

Unless you happened to throw a few $k into USD borderless account when the exchange rate was at par :D

J.M.
01-13-2015, 10:52 AM

Unless you happened to throw a few $k into USD borderless account when the exchange rate was at par :D

fuck lol I should have done this..

94boosted
01-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Day to Day/RSP/Visa/US Account - RBC
Peoples Trust - TFSA
Scotia - Mortgage

Don't like RBC's fees for withdrawals, deposits, e-transfer etc. but too cheap to pay for the VIP Plan and too lazy to switch to another bank haha.

Originally posted by eblend

If you ever decide to cancel that Visa, you should get the Amazon.ca Chase card. No forex fees so it's my go to travel card. I use it everywhere I go exclusively knowing that I am saving 2.5% of most other cards.

So if you're buying stuff online out of the US you don't pay forex fees, just the posted exchange rate or does this only apply when travelling?

jwslam
01-13-2015, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
So if you're buying stuff online out of the US you don't pay forex fees, just the posted exchange rate or does this only apply when travelling?
Both. So when I buy stuff with PayPal, I make sure they charge my card in USD rather than exchanging it first at the paypal rate.

94boosted
01-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

Both. So when I buy stuff with PayPal, I make sure they charge my card in USD rather than exchanging it first at the paypal rate.

Very interesting, going to have to look into this card.

eblend
01-13-2015, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Very interesting, going to have to look into this card.

Not only USD too, any currency. Anything that would normally get a forex fee of 2.5%

eblend
01-13-2015, 03:13 PM

Got nearly 2k in USD cash from a while ago, at this rate if I don't use it I should be able to retire in the next 6 month.

Gainsbarre
01-13-2015, 04:19 PM

Bad news on the USD account. As of March 15, they're going to start charging $2/month for the borderless account unless you have a minimum balance of $3k in it.

:eek: When/where was this announced? It still says the following on the TD Canada Trust website describing the Borderless Plan account...

Account Fees and Waivers $4.95 U.S./month - waived if you maintain a US$3,000 monthly balance or if you have a All-Inclusive Banking Plan

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/accounts/u-s-dollar-accounts/borderless.jsp

Strider
01-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

:eek: When/where was this announced? It still says the following on the TD Canada Trust website describing the Borderless Plan account...

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/products-services/banking/accounts/u-s-dollar-accounts/borderless.jsp

Got the date wrong, it's March 2.
Here's the details:

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/document/PDF/accounts/513796-20141229.pdf

Gainsbarre
01-13-2015, 05:07 PM

Got the date wrong, it's March 2.
Here's the details:

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/document/PDF/accounts/513796-20141229.pdf

Thanks.

Ah, dammit, I might just stuff the USD cash I have into the USD trading account that I have with TD and use the funds there whenever needed to pay off my TD USD credit card. I wonder how much of a hassle it will be to withdraw cash from a trading account at the retail branch...