PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Inspection

Isimo
01-11-2015, 07:38 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking at picking up a car that has a salvage title. It was broken into and the stereo was stolen along with the intake and MAF and the leather\dash was sliced up.

Everything else on the car looks super clean and I don't really care about the interior too much since I'll likely be stripping it anyway.

My question is, do salvage inspections care about the condition of the interior, ie - missing speakers, missing trim, etc.

Thanks in advance!

BandW
01-11-2015, 08:02 PM
http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType41/Production/amltmanualdec2009.pdf

I can't answer your question, but this should be of help to you. Before you purchase the car, you should treat this document as a check list.

If I recall correctly, the salvage inspection has many similarities to the OOP inspection, with the addition of some structural requirements.

You're going to want to make sure the car is in excellent shape even in relation to things entirely unrelated to why it was salvaged. For instance, if the power steering has any visible leaks its an automatic fail. If the differential or transfer case leaks, it should be an automatic fail. At the end of the day, however, each inspector has different standards. I've encountered shops that will pass a car with a differential weeping oil (very minor leak) while others will fail it automatically.