PDA

View Full Version : The Mayor Gets a Raise!

Sugarphreak
01-14-2015, 08:48 AM

nickyh
01-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Ya, this is poor timing on the part of the city.

Everything except the cost to fill up at the pump is up, there are people getting laid off, hiring freezes, wage freezes, oh that bonus you were going to get..... sorry.
And on top of the wage increase they feel justified in increasing the cycle track network at a cost to tax payer...

Oh, but Neshi did such a great job in 2012 with the floods so I'll look the other way becauase he's such a great Mayor for the city :rolleyes:

FraserB
01-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Just because there is a downturn doesn't mean everybody stops getting raises/bonuses/performance incentives.

The rate isn't out of line with averages and they didn't take one last year.

schocker
01-14-2015, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by nickyh
Ya, this is poor timing on the part of the city.

Everything except the cost to fill up at the pump is up, there are people getting laid off, hiring freezes, wage freezes, oh that bonus you were going to get..... sorry.
And on top of the wage increase they feel justified in increasing the cycle track network at a cost to tax payer...

Oh, but Neshi did such a great job in 2012 with the floods so I'll look the other way becauase he's such a great Mayor for the city :rolleyes:

There was also a story that calgary transit bought 80% of their diesel at a locked in rate which of course would be higher than it is currently. 20% will be at market rate which was supposed to make people happy :rofl:

Masked Bandit
01-14-2015, 09:08 AM
The optics are pretty bad and I'll never miss a chance to see Nenshi look bad, but in reality this isn't a big issue. Errr, I mean "Nenshi's a crook"!

G-ZUS
01-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Beyond Protest @ Silly Hall?

Sugarphreak
01-14-2015, 09:13 AM

nickyh
01-14-2015, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I won't argue that. People who are good at their job get raises, bonuses and performance incentives.

However, our council on the other hand have no such requirements to be good at their job to earn this raise, in fact we get endless property tax increases that are far greater than inflation every year because of their inability to produce a reasonable budget for the city.

This, word for word.

If my company does not meet expectations for EBIDTA etc, whatever raise we might have received is slashed by a number the board deems reasonable because clearly our company can't budget revenues and expenses reliably, so there is less of a pool to work from to divide out.

Even if I did a fantastic job last year, if we only have a 2% increase across the board that the board deems appropriate or a salary freeze - that's what I have to live with. I may not like it, but that's the reality of life.

syscal
01-14-2015, 09:37 AM
It wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal if it wasn't for this line.

The pay hike effectively makes Mayor Naheed Nenshi Canada’s highest paid mayor...

lasimmon
01-14-2015, 09:44 AM
They get a raise of the same % of the average Albertan raise. And the majority of council donates it to Charity.

Is this really a concern? Want them to go back to how it used to be and vote on how much of a raise they get?

This is a non issue.

speedog
01-14-2015, 09:44 AM
To be honest, it probably wouldn't make a difference to any of the critics as to whom might be elected to council - they'd still be critical of any raises council may get and that despite that some council members have publicly stated that they won't be pocketing these raises.

rage2
01-14-2015, 09:51 AM
The Nensheep will continue to have a hard on for Nenshi. This news won't change anything. Next on the list for the city is the huge debt coming our way as the provincial gravy train dries up and tax breaks that the city relies on are taken away. Even then the Nensheep will he hard for him. Maybe not teenaged hard, more like middle aged hard. When everything finally trickles down and only the top 20% can actually afford to live here, that's when finally the Nensheep will go full ED.

Neil4Speed
01-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Anyone who understands compensation outside of "wow, 200k thats a big number!" would realize that his total compensation is minuscule in related to the level of responsibility if you were to compare to private sector.

BavarianBeast
01-14-2015, 10:10 AM
douchebag

icky2unk
01-14-2015, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Anyone who understands compensation outside of "wow, 200k thats a big number!" would realize that his total compensation is minuscule in related to the level of responsibility if you were to compare to private sector.

200k to be mayor I'm in...

It's not that 200k is a lot of money. It's that 200k + all the raises for a city council that is turning the city into a nanny state is stupid.

Anyone with the mindset that fixing traffic in and out of downtown is to remove lanes and turn them into bike lanes deserves a pay cut.

suntan
01-14-2015, 11:09 AM
Meh.

Buffets are getting more expensive. Takes a lot of money to keep up that weight of his.

Xtrema
01-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Meh as well.

4% is fine. Bad for visibility but that's basically the average raise everyone got in town if they didn't get a pink slip.

ZEDGE
01-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Stupid thread title.. but expected on here.

LOL.. some of you make it sound like Nenshi single handedly got this raise for himself.. he has no more say or power than one of the alderman and is only one voice in the council, nothing more, nothing less. Hes not some supreme dictator. I also doubt any of them will personally gain from this raise which some have even stated.

From Nenshis twitter.

Naheed Nenshi @nenshi · 13h 13 hours ago
@Nick_X2 I donate a huge chunk of my salary because I do think it's high, but I should not interfere with the process.

How much of your salary do you guys donate? Sitting in your mc manshions in the soulless burbs with your fat oil jobs.

As I said, it should be tied to property taxes. If they have to increase them more than inflation, they should have to take a wage cut of the amount they went over that mark. If they can keep it under inflation on the other hand, then they can give themselves a raise equal to the percentage below the inflation mark.

You seriously think that if McVicor or some other red neck idiot was Mayor that this would happen?? Things would be totally different?? HAHAHA!!!

GQBalla
01-14-2015, 11:20 AM
reasons why Nenshi has claimed he hasn't raised his rental payments

Seth1968
01-14-2015, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

To be the mayor of Calgary basically means a 24/7 job.

roopi
01-14-2015, 11:38 AM
I have no problem with this. I also have no problem with the property tax increase. I've enjoy living in Calgary and I'm willing to pay for it.

FraserB
01-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

How much of your salary do you guys donate?

I spent $600 on STARS tickets. That's a kind of charity.

icky2unk
01-14-2015, 11:46 AM
Stupid thread title.. but expected on here.

LOL.. some of you make it sound like Nenshi single handedly got this raise for himself.. he has no more say or power than one of the alderman and is only one voice in the council, nothing more, nothing less. Hes not some supreme dictator. I also doubt any of them will personally gain from this raise which some have even stated.

From Nenshis twitter.

Naheed Nenshi @nenshi · 13h 13 hours ago
@Nick_X2 I donate a huge chunk of my salary because I do think it's high, but I should not interfere with the process.

How much of your salary do you guys donate? Sitting in your mc manshions in the soulless burbs with your fat oil jobs.

You seriously think that if McVicor or some other red neck idiot was Mayor that this would happen?? Things would be totally different?? HAHAHA!!!

lol... you realize those "soulless burbs" make up probably 90% of total donations for charitable organizations in this city.

I'd have no issue with 200k + raises for everyone at city council if they were actually productive. The money isn't an issue if the executation if good. The execution if terrible so it isn't worth it.

Chandler_Racing
01-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Just seems to be a case of bad optics. A 4% raise in very uncertain times with no emphasis on performance just doesn't sit right with me.

I am to lazy to look up if it's done but would love to see the city report against meaningful KPI's and have their compensation tied to it. My compensation can be 100% of my base salary or 0% depending on our ability to hit net income projections.

Can't balance the budget and maintain adequate service levels? Then maybe his pay should be brought down from the "high" level so he has enough to live on but not enough to make sizable donations. :dunno:

nickyh
01-14-2015, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Meh as well.

4% is fine. Bad for visibility but that's basically the average raise everyone got in town if they didn't get a pink slip.

My husband has not had a raise in close to 2 years now and my best raise was 5% when i was promoted.

Neil4Speed
01-14-2015, 01:22 PM
3.8% increase is pretty close in line with the average increase received by most Canadians (inflationary/merit).

CompletelyNumb
01-14-2015, 01:49 PM
3.8% more, as determined by a formula that ties council pay hikes to the average increase of Alberta workers.

I got a 10% pay cut this year. :cry:

Xtrema
01-14-2015, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

I spent $600 on STARS tickets. That's a kind of charity.

Not according to CRA... :rofl:

M.alex
01-14-2015, 03:46 PM
How did they figure out the average Calgarian got a 4% raise last year, that seems awfully high. Or is this some BS like "raise" includes base pay increases as well as performance bonuses?

FraserB
01-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
How did they figure out the average Calgarian got a 4% raise last year, that seems awfully high. Or is this some BS like "raise" includes base pay increases as well as performance bonuses?

Average of Alberta workers for 2014. 3.8% doesn't seem too out of whack.

Sugarphreak
01-14-2015, 04:15 PM

G-ZUS
01-14-2015, 04:20 PM

I got 1% :rofl:

Tik-Tok
01-14-2015, 04:27 PM

Stupid thread tittle? As opposed to what exactly?

Well, personally I was expecting a photo of our mayor surrounded by the Village People, and pitching a tent.

Xtrema
01-14-2015, 04:33 PM

http://www.workopolis.com/content/saskatchewan/article/report-canadian-salary-increases-for-2015-by-province/

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/08/27/salary-increases-calgary_n_5723832.html

Of course, most of these reports are before the market went south. Many companies did revise 4% to 2.50-3% due to uncertainty and the forth coming increase in labour pool.

firebane
01-14-2015, 04:48 PM

I got a 3% raise last year. And then I got another raise this year of a gross increase of 4k per year.

HiTempguy1
01-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Can you imagine if this thread was about government union employees getting a 3.8% raise?

Everybody in this thread would be literally punching their monitors. :rofl:

roopi
01-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Bronconnier was Canada's highest paid Mayor in 2008 with a 22% increase to his previous years salary. It's a time consuming job and I think they are paid relatively fairly.

They do more work then half the consultants on beyond billing out $200/hour and spending half the day posting here. :D

pheoxs
01-14-2015, 05:22 PM

:dunno: I got a 7.8% raise.

rage2
01-14-2015, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by roopi
They do more work then half the consultants on beyond billing out $200/hour and spending half the day posting here. :D
Have you seen his Twitter account? He spends the entire day on it. Half a day is nothing.

Black Gts
01-14-2015, 06:58 PM
Yeah retweeting lost cats. I've @him and Shane keating a couple times and nothing. 52nd St Nb at 61st Ave totally doesn't need an advance green considering it's a forced left turn lane and all heavy truck traffic.

BigMass
01-14-2015, 07:01 PM
I got a -%100 raise and unlimited vacation time.

Shlade
01-14-2015, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
I got a -%100 raise and unlimited vacation time.

Sorry to hear man.

rage2
01-14-2015, 08:51 PM
He only replies when it makes him look good to his followers.

spikerS
01-14-2015, 09:28 PM
Nenshi makes ~$45k a year more than the Prime Minister does, but hey, it's ok because Nenshi donates a chunk to charity, amirite?

FraserB
01-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
Nenshi makes ~$45k a year more than the Prime Minister does, but hey, it's ok because Nenshi donates a chunk to charity, amirite?

Harper's salary was ~$325k last year.

spikerS
01-14-2015, 11:11 PM

you sure, I thought I saw something just the other day stating the Harper's salary was $163k with a $2k car allowance...

syb65
01-14-2015, 11:13 PM

plus all the unknown direct deposits that appeared out of no where.

also, don't these politicians get taxed a little different, meaning they take home more than the average Joe in that tax bracket?

spikerS
01-14-2015, 11:19 PM
there we go....

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/lists/Salaries.aspx?Menu=HOC-Politic&Section=03d93c58-f843-49b3-9653-84275c23f3fb

Prime Minister Salary
$163,700.00
Prime Minister Car Allowance
$2,000.00

roopi
01-14-2015, 11:20 PM

It would take 2 seconds on Google to prove that wrong.

Tik-Tok
01-14-2015, 11:23 PM
there we go....

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/lists/Salaries.aspx?Menu=HOC-Politic&Section=03d93c58-f843-49b3-9653-84275c23f3fb

Prime Minister Salary
$163,700.00
Prime Minister Car Allowance
$2,000.00

That's his wage as PM, he also gets paid for being a MP

msommers
01-14-2015, 11:24 PM
Not to side on one or the other, but would you guys honestly be Mayor for Nenshi's salary?

spikerS
Originally posted by roopi

It would take 2 seconds on Google to prove that wrong.

you're right, I did that, except, it appears that I am right...:dunno:

Tik-Tok

you're right, I did that, except, it appears that I am right...:dunno:

See my last post.

spikerS
01-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That's his wage as PM, he also gets paid for being a MP

ahhh, ok, I didn't know that.

spikerS
01-14-2015, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Not to side on one or the other, but would you guys honestly be Mayor for Nenshi's salary?

fuck yea!

All I gotta do is play the PR game, ride the coat tails of others, and spend my day on twitter.

for $200k?

Fucking sign me up right now!

syscal
01-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Big surprise that his response is the same "my hands are tied...poor me, I guess we'll have to spend all that money and raise your taxes and there is nothing I can do about it" garbage he says about every stupid decision made in his favor.

msommers
01-14-2015, 11:36 PM
I guess that's the response I should have expected.....lol

Let me try this another way. If you were Mayor doing a "better" job than Nenshi, what would you be doing day-to-day, and what would you be doing differently? I'm actually trying to be sincere here. It's fairly clear that many have an issue with the way Nenshi runs things as Mayor but obviously disregard the daily tasks that encompass that role. Given that we have so many "experts" here, I'm genuinely curious what you would do differently, on the daily. And if that allotment of hours of work is worth the salary they're giving him or if you're already in balling-out-of-control territory and per hour would be taking a pay cut, or if the amount of criticism you'd be subjected to constantly is not worth the salary.

There are things I agree and disagree with that Nenshi has done, but it's getting rather old hearing the same old shit constantly without any alternatively presented plan that is actually financially feasible.

I'm all for change and making things more efficient, improving the lives of Calgarians as best we can. But complaining, and complaining with an alternate financially sound plan are two very different things.

Tik-Tok
01-14-2015, 11:50 PM

fuck yea!

All I gotta do is play the PR game, ride the coat tails of others, and spend my day on twitter.

for $200k?

Fucking sign me up right now!

And have to deal with the likes of Druh Farrell on a daily basis... I'm thinking he doesn't get paid enough :rofl:

spikerS
01-14-2015, 11:56 PM
I guess that's the response I should have expected.....lol

Let me try this another way. If you were Mayor doing a "better" job than Nenshi, what would you be doing day-to-day, and what would you be doing differently? I'm actually trying to be sincere here. It's fairly clear that many have an issue with the way Nenshi runs things as Mayor but obviously disregard the daily tasks that encompass that role. Given that we have so many "experts" here, I'm genuinely curious what you would do differently, on the daily. And if that allotment of hours of work is worth the salary they're giving him or if you're already in balling-out-of-control territory and per hour would be taking a pay cut, or if the amount of criticism you'd be subjected to constantly is not worth the salary.

There are things I agree and disagree with that Nenshi has done, but it's getting rather old hearing the same old shit constantly without any alternatively presented plan that is actually financially feasible.

I'm all for change and making things more efficient, improving the lives of Calgarians as best we can. But complaining, and complaining with an alternate financially sound plan are two very different things.

More than anything, I want the fucking mayor to stop costing the city boatloads of money, and educating himself on whatever topic he is going to speak about.

I want the mayor to quit playing games, and be honest.

I want the mayor to actually listen to the people of calgary, but that goes for all aldermen.

But more than anything, I want the populace of calgary to fucking take their head out of their asses, and realize that Nenshi is a fucking idiot. I could stomach people still voting for him, knowing he is an idiot as an informed decision, rather than being the popular vote. I have engaged so many people on FB and twitter over this, and almost every single one, can't cite any reasons why he is a good mayor other than being "approachable" on social media. There were a couple that could articulate a few things, but after researching them, found out they were someone else's brain child, and everyone just gave Nenshi the credit.

either way, this is just another kick in the nuts to the tax payers of Calgary. We have been fed line after line about how there is absolutely NO SAVINGS ANYWHERE in the city budget, but it is still ok for them to take their raises making Nenshi the highest paid Mayor in Canada, or for billing tax payers for sending Nenshi and a couple council members to BC to hoist the Grey Cup. Those are just 2 examples from recent memory, and not counting the Enmax fiasco, or the Calgary builders association.

You know, if he is going to fuck tax payers over, he could at least be honest about it.

cancer man
01-15-2015, 05:21 AM
I think we should have a poll and nominate a challenger for nenshi next election.

Nitro5
01-15-2015, 06:36 AM
Arash

Shlade
01-15-2015, 07:25 AM
I was thinking Toma. He'd at least get us a race track

Unknown303
01-15-2015, 07:33 AM
It would be logical for the car community to bring forward a candidate.

killramos
01-15-2015, 08:09 AM
Rob Anders?

:rofl:

OU812
01-15-2015, 09:16 AM
Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will Philander, you too will get old, and when you do you'll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders

kertejud2
01-15-2015, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
It would be logical for the car community to bring forward a candidate.

Hard to run as a pro-car candidate and a low-taxes candidate.

Unknown303
01-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

Hard to run as a pro-car candidate and a low-taxes candidate.

If we aren't spending money converting car lanes into bike lanes it might save a few dollars.

kertejud2
01-15-2015, 02:51 PM

If we aren't spending money converting car lanes into bike lanes it might save a few dollars.

Would save ten times as much if we didn't have to build connectors for the SW Ring Road.

At best you're suggesting that we solve traffic by keeping things exactly the same as they are now. Pretty shitty platform to run on, no?

suntan
01-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Meh. This council is more than willing to spend money on road projects. Maybe they're not publicly pro-car (what does that even mean?) but they're certainly not anti-car, even with all the crap we all spew on here about it.

They just like to spend a lot of time on small, worthless issues.

Unknown303
01-15-2015, 02:57 PM

Would save ten times as much if we didn't have to build connectors for the SW Ring Road.

At best you're suggesting that we solve traffic by keeping things exactly the same as they are now. Pretty shitty platform to run on, no?

Yeah I'm totally suggesting someone runs with just that...

killramos
01-15-2015, 03:01 PM

Yeah I'm totally suggesting someone runs with just that...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/cms/binary/9669503.jpg

Xtrema
01-15-2015, 03:14 PM

Personally, no.

Being a politician means you get anal probed by everyone. Definitely not worth $200K to me.

ZEDGE
01-16-2015, 02:19 PM

More than anything, I want the fucking mayor to stop costing the city boatloads of money, and educating himself on whatever topic he is going to speak about.

I want the mayor to quit playing games, and be honest.

I want the mayor to actually listen to the people of calgary, but that goes for all aldermen.

But more than anything, I want the populace of calgary to fucking take their head out of their asses, and realize that Nenshi is a fucking idiot. I could stomach people still voting for him, knowing he is an idiot as an informed decision, rather than being the popular vote. I have engaged so many people on FB and twitter over this, and almost every single one, can't cite any reasons why he is a good mayor other than being "approachable" on social media. There were a couple that could articulate a few things, but after researching them, found out they were someone else's brain child, and everyone just gave Nenshi the credit.

either way, this is just another kick in the nuts to the tax payers of Calgary. We have been fed line after line about how there is absolutely NO SAVINGS ANYWHERE in the city budget, but it is still ok for them to take their raises making Nenshi the highest paid Mayor in Canada, or for billing tax payers for sending Nenshi and a couple council members to BC to hoist the Grey Cup. Those are just 2 examples from recent memory, and not counting the Enmax fiasco, or the Calgary builders association.

You know, if he is going to fuck tax payers over, he could at least be honest about it.

Your faux anger should be directed at all the alderman not just the Mayor, he has no more pull or power than any one of them. Hes basically a glorified alderman who gets called Mayor. You guys make it sound like hes a supreme ruler who decides everything..

Oh noes hes posts on that twitter thing, you're like a bunch of old men yelling at clouds half the time.

spikerS
01-16-2015, 02:22 PM

Your faux anger should be directed at all the alderman not just the Mayor, he has no more pull or power than any one of them. Hes basically a glorified alderman who gets called Mayor. You guys make it sound like hes a supreme ruler who decides everything..

Oh noes hes posts on that twitter thing... your like a bunch of old men yelling at clouds half the time..

says every Nenshi supporter when they have no rebuttal. It becomes "Nenshi is only one of 12"

ZEDGE
01-16-2015, 02:23 PM

says every Nenshi supporter when they have no rebuttal. It becomes "Nenshi is only one of 12"

Cause its true?

:nut:

The hate for him is so weird..

rage2
01-16-2015, 02:36 PM

Oh noes hes posts on that twitter thing, you're like a bunch of old men yelling at clouds half the time.

Cause its true?

:nut:
It's also true that he makes $100k more than an alderman.

The hate for him is so weird..
Yea, as an Apple sheep, I find the hate for Apple weird too.

kertejud2
01-16-2015, 03:14 PM

Those are just 2 examples from recent memory, and not counting the Enmax fiasco, or the Calgary builders association.

What exactly was Nenshi's role in this fiasco?

rage2
01-16-2015, 03:47 PM
What exactly was Nenshi's role in this fiasco?
What's funny is that the Builder's spat and building freeze is saving real estate in this downturn lol.

ZEDGE
01-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by rage2

It's also true that he makes $100k more than an alderman.

Yea, as an Apple sheep, I find the hate for Apple weird too.

Hes a person, not a billion dollar company exploiting workers in China and overcharging for there products. ;)

syscal
01-16-2015, 04:40 PM
Hes a person, not a billion dollar company exploiting workers in China and overcharging for there products. ;)

Is that why we hate Apple? I always thought it was because THEIR products were over-hyped and over-priced ripoffs of other companies.

Just like Nenshi is an over-hyped and over-priced ripoff...