PDA

View Full Version : New Vehicle question

3drian
01-16-2015, 07:00 PM
Hi there everyone, I wanted to get some opinions on a new vehicle my mother would like to purchase for my dad as a Bday gift.

To start with, I do not agree with this gift and I think its a dumb idea but she is set on it.

My dad currently owns an 2010 accord, that is not all paid off, maybe another 2 years. My mother would like to buy a new Car/Suv and sell the accord after and put the money towards this new vehicle.

Her budget is around 45k, and she has been looking at Acura, Lexus, Infinity and Audi. I believe she should buy something that is 2-4 years old and get a great vehicle for that price range, but she is set on new.

With that budget and considering a brand new Suv, what would you guys recommend? we are making the trip to Calgary next week to visit the dealerships but I wanted to get some feedback before hand.

Thanks in advance.

know1edge
01-16-2015, 07:41 PM

AE92_TreunoSC
01-16-2015, 07:42 PM
If they are financing with the dealership, go new. Paying out or LOC, go pre-owned.

I would suggest strong resale vehicles like RX350 or MDX for used in that range.

For new NX200t or RDX. Honda Toyota for sure.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j264/burwood69/lexusnx200t01.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/burwood69/media/lexusnx200t01.jpg.html)

I've only seen one so far and they are stunning in person for a small SUV.

dirtsniffer
01-16-2015, 07:42 PM
Not on your list but I'd look at a new highlander. You're not going to get much of anything for 45 at a premium brand

dirtsniffer
01-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Double post

jacky4566
01-16-2015, 09:26 PM
My parents really love their new Evoque. They seem to be popular this year.

http://www.landrover.com/Images/L538_14_EXT_STU_LOC01_DYNAMIC_ms_1_281-72918_450x259.jpg

3drian
01-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Evoques are awesome but out of the price range, I really like that NX200t, going to also look into cars, maybe an A4, If I could convince her to buy used everything would be so easier

Redlyne_mr2
01-17-2015, 02:45 PM
A loaded up CX9 is in that price range as well if she wants a larger size SUV.

blownz
01-19-2015, 02:25 PM
I would be pissed if someone bought a car for me. That is too big of a decision to have someone else make for you. That said if he drives a 2010 Accord that is pretty generic so he probably doesn't care, but man would I be pissed.

And no one should respond back with "of course you would take a free vehicle and be happy with it" because your spouse buying it does not make it free. When you are married it is all one pot of money. This gets me so worked up just thinking of my wife out looking for a new car for me. lol

That said, my opinion on what to look at is: Ask your dad! It will be his car and if he needs to trade his current vehicle in to help pay then he really should be involved. :nut:

Dumbass17
01-19-2015, 03:00 PM
If you are dead set against it. Maybe sit your mother down and go over numbers, resale value, financing, terms and all that stuff. Maybe she's too excited and overlooking the reality of it?

Nothing wrong with a 2010 Accord

OR, get her to buy your Dad something that YOU want and put that shit in his will? :poosie:

E46..sTyLez
01-19-2015, 03:01 PM
My wife knows better than to even think of buying me a car haha, she won't even pick out a new car for herself lol.

On topic, I think if your father is happy in an Accord, the A4 would be a beautiful replacement. Highly suggest getting the S-line pkg though, night and day difference in styling etc.

SUV's are too expensive for what you get...

jwslam
01-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17
get her to buy your Dad something that YOU want and put that shit in his will? :poosie:
Funny story. Convinced my mother last year to buy a new Kia Soul because it satisfied her needs and I kinda like it. Bought myself a beater Jeep Liberty (kind of a rust bucket) but my mother has always been fond of them things. Now she wants to trade cars with me :rofl: :rofl:

killramos
01-19-2015, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by blownz
I would be pissed if someone bought a car for me. That is too big of a decision to have someone else make for you. That said if he drives a 2010 Accord that is pretty generic so he probably doesn't care, but man would I be pissed.

Originally posted by E46..sTyLez
My wife knows better than to even think of buying me a car haha, she won't even pick out a new car for herself lol.

These two know where its at. Could you imagine driving something that pisses you off every day and have to smile while doing it because your wife bought it for you?

My Fiance knows better than this to. Want to genuinely buy me a car? Write me a blank cheque, and that cheque better point to a big ass HELOC. Otherwise GTFO

*flamesuiton*

E46..sTyLez
01-19-2015, 03:26 PM
Oops. This was meant to be an edit, but was a quote. FML

jwslam
01-19-2015, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by killramos
These two know where its at. Could you imagine driving something that pisses you off every day and have to smile while doing it because your wife bought it for you?
What's wrong with the Pink VW Beetle she paid 2x MSRP for?

KrisYYC
01-19-2015, 06:22 PM
I'm not trying to be rude, but this sounds more like your mom wants a shiny new car and this "gift" is a way for her to get it without much opposition. Is she going to pay for the portion that won't be covered by selling the Accord? Or will dad end up being on the hook for that too?

3drian
01-19-2015, 09:40 PM
Thanks a lot for all the comments, you guys are dead on on the reason why I think the whole idea is stupid.

As I said before the Accord is not yet paid off, so her "logic" is that she will end up paying the difference of the monthly payments after the down payment, so she is pretty much getting my dad to keep making payments for a longer period of time, nonsense.

I will try to sit down and talk to her out of the idea.

Xtrema
01-19-2015, 09:55 PM
If you need 6 years to pay off an Accord, last thing you need is another car.

Unless that's a V6 Accord, then ditch that POS it ASAP. That's why I love Honda and Toyotas, so many problems but people just buy them because of the badge thinking they are reliable.

That said, make sure your folks are ready for retirement if they are still making these kind of finanical decision at that age.

3drian
01-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
If you need 6 years to pay off an Accord, last thing you need is another car.

That said, make sure your folks are ready for retirement if they are still making these kind of finanical decision at that age.

my parents are in no way in a bad economical situation, got all their retirement figured out and travel 3-4 times a year. not ballers by any means but they are not hurting either.

Reason why she wants to get him a nicer car, is because my dad enjoys talking about cars, and likes to keep up with news, new models etc, yet he does not really care for his daily driver. hence the idea of getting him a nicer upgrade since its something he will never do on his own, not because of the money but because he does not really care.

botox
01-20-2015, 07:44 AM
Have you talked to your dad and as a joke just brought up what cars he likes. You can take him car shopping and make him think you are buying something for yourself but make him test drive it as well to get his opinions. I've test drove cars that I liked cosmetically but didn't like it after the test drive. If used is what he wants you'll find out this way. Or get one of his close friends to do it. Like the others said, the last thing you want to do is buy something he doesn't like.

killramos
01-20-2015, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by 3drian

my parents are in no way in a bad economical situation, got all their retirement figured out and travel 3-4 times a year. not ballers by any means but they are not hurting either.

Reason why she wants to get him a nicer car, is because my dad enjoys talking about cars, and likes to keep up with news, new models etc, yet he does not really care for his daily driver. hence the idea of getting him a nicer upgrade since its something he will never do on his own, not because of the money but because he does not really care.

Then get her to give him a blank cheque for a new car.

Or maybe work it out with the salesman and find him a car then bring him to the dealer to look at it. Take care of all the BS negotiating etc in advance (those sheets they print you are often valid for a week or so)

If he "likes" it she hands over the downpayment and organizes delivery asap.

Give the guy a chance to say no at least... 90% of gifts you can return. A car not so much...

:dunno:

Thales of Miletus
01-24-2015, 06:16 PM
I think Kia's are the best buy at this time. Good Warranty, reasonably priced.

max_boost
01-24-2015, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
If they are financing with the dealership, go new. Paying out or LOC, go pre-owned.

I would suggest strong resale vehicles like RX350 or MDX for used in that range.

For new NX200t or RDX. Honda Toyota for sure.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j264/burwood69/lexusnx200t01.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/burwood69/media/lexusnx200t01.jpg.html)

I've only seen one so far and they are stunning in person for a small SUV.

The RX is really nice.

freshprince1
01-26-2015, 11:08 AM
Acura will be the most affordable "luxury" option, and they have incredible reliability. That's the direction I would go...since you asked.

CanmoreOrLess
01-26-2015, 11:30 AM
I doubt your father will get the vehicle he really desires as it has been filtered through you, your mother, Beyond, the mailman, Consumer Reports, etc. If my wife was to be buying me a new last week, I would have wanted (I said something in a conversation) a Lexus LX570, the week before it was a Lexus LS460, a month ago I was all ga-ga over getting an A6/A7 Audi. See where I am going here? Which way is the wind blowing with us auto gear heads?

Your parents sound rather conservative (nothing wrong with that), a seven year old Accord is by nature a very safe bet for car ownership. I have a Honda with 175,000 KMs on it, other than tires, a battery (my choice), fluids and brakes, I've not replaced a thing. Dead reliable, that's what I expected and needed at the time of my purchase.

Buying new is a tough one, I doubt your father wants to toss away 45K on a quickly depreciating asset. It does not seem in his DNA. A lightly used vehicle is your path, as would be mine. I bet your father is much the same.

IF I was in the market for a new vehicle today, I'd be buying a hybrid or diesel. Something no one else is looking at right now as the foolish believe cheap fuel is here to stay. There ought to be some very nice deals out there at this time in the economic cycle. By Friday, I've changed my mind...

I like this guy for his in depth reviews (points out the good and bad) and practical nature:

ZNkJYOovVKY

3drian
01-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Wow thanks a lot for your in depth reply, I do agree with you.
I have no doubt in my mind that if we end up buying something he will enjoy it regardless of the car. My mom got a quote and got to ride a CLA last week and is in love, but him being more conservative than she is, if given the option I dont think he would think getting a now 50k car is a smart idea, whether he could easily afford it or not. I still got work to do and prove her how bad of an idea it is.

one again thanks everyone for all the great feedback.

On a side note, we did visit a couple of dealerships last week, and man was I ever dissapointed on the customer service at Lexus, eventhough I really liked the nx200t and wanted to check it out, we were out the door in 10 min, horrible experience.