PDA

View Full Version : mini-supermoto

method
03-08-2004, 03:04 AM
has anyone ever presented this idea, or has it already been done in calgary? I know the amra has roadracing covered, but I think it'd be pretty cool to see little xr50s and whatnot hitting a makeshift supermoto track..

anyone else had this idea in mind, or am I crazy?

Ducati
03-08-2004, 05:28 PM
They have that happening in Langley BC.

PsI
03-08-2004, 09:54 PM
lol, it happens all the time. at Blackfoot wild rose park, and coming this summer it will happen alot more in my backyard!!!,

the honda xr50s are awesome, you can get almost any part for them after makret and beefed up. They make kits to make em, 70cc 100cc, even 125ccs. not to mention you can get new trannies so you don't have to use those shitty 2 speed cluthless slush boxs.

blackfoot has a Ktm 50 with all the little goodies, and it's 2-stroke !!!, only problem is it's almost twice the price of the little xrs, you can pick up a brand new xr50 for 1600, not a bad deal if you ask me, I'm just gona ride mine through my house all day!!:rofl: :rofl: :clap: :thumbsup:

method
03-09-2004, 01:37 AM
that's just a MX track though right? I didnt think there were any motard tracks in/around calgary..

I was thinking about getting some little playbike, like an xr50, xr100 or a ttr125 or something...

PsI
03-09-2004, 10:04 AM
they have a BMX track and a little 50 track at blackfoot, so I'm pretty sure they get the little kids going on there all the time. I've taken my 50 on there. Not too sure about adults competing on a regular basis but I'm sure they would have something if there was support.

xr50s are fun, but anything bigger then a 100 is just a little big to have much fun on for minis.

method
03-10-2004, 12:54 AM
is shelling out the money for a used kx60 or some other mini-two stroke a bad idea?

my friend and I are thinking about picking up some xr50s, but dunno if it's the way to go.

PsI
03-10-2004, 01:00 AM
if your serious about back yard racing, then build a bike from scratch, many Mx mags have been doing articules on building a perfect mini/on a budget mini/etc.

The little minis due tend to get borring pretty quick, so unless you have lots of cash and friends who wana ride with ya, (or you just love hitting jumps on your front lawn and riding through your house) then be weary about spending alot of money on one.

I have a used 1980 yamaha YZ50, with a solid shaft(no chain) and single speed tranny, the bik is old and the supension don't work worth shit, but the 200 bucks i paid for it was really worth it.

Used 50cc are usually you best bet because the little kids who own them don't ride them for very long so there won't be any hours on them and a used bike goes for about half of what it was new, lol. but only the nwer style minis have aftermarket "Adult" parts availble for them

method
03-10-2004, 01:10 AM
yeah we're more intested it booting around the neighbourhoods, finding little jumps out at mac creek/waiporous/etc...

not interested in spending huge amounts of money, but 1600 on a bike and a few hundred in mods (bars, etc) seems reasonable.

dont need a motocross bike, if I was that serious I'd probably skip the supermini thing and get a kx100 or a yz85.