PDA

View Full Version : Local honey producers

89s1
01-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Would like to get in touch with someone, so if you have a guy you typically get honey from I would like to get in touch with them.

We used to get it from a family friend but she moved back to small town B.C. Feel free to reply here or fire me off a text if you have any leads, thanks.

msommers
01-17-2015, 07:46 PM
There is a vendor at the Crossroads Farmer's Market that has a massive selection of different honeys (Ray and Helen's Honey House).

I added a jar of honey on my order from Real Raw Food and it's been quite good. I usually buy massive bags of almonds and dried fruit from these guys.
http://realrawfood.com/products#honey

turbotrip
01-17-2015, 10:54 PM
has anybody tried out the Chinook Honey Company?

Kritafo
01-17-2015, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

We use Chinook exclusively at our house. Lots of different varieties and flavours. Art and Cherie are fantastic, go for an hour they will have you sampling and drinking mead. We make an afternoon and go to Rocky Mountain ranch for meat, Chinook Honey for mead and honey and eat at Chuckwagon cafe. We have been going for many years, before they had mead.

msommers
01-17-2015, 11:13 PM
Man I tried the Chuckwagon cafe after hearing so much about it, and came out super disappointed. Super greasy, coffee was run of the mill. Service was good, the waitress was super courteous saying "hun" a million times. There's good value, my plate was a mound of food but quality was moderate at best - I had the salmon scramble feature.

Perhaps I'll have to try it again.

eblend
01-17-2015, 11:15 PM
My parents got some from a farm...I can find out for you if you would like. I think it's somewhere very close just outside of SW calgary.

project240
01-18-2015, 11:50 AM
Howlands Honey... So good...

You can get it at Costco.

natty54
01-18-2015, 07:37 PM
I buy from here:

http://www.foreverbee.ca/

theken
01-18-2015, 08:36 PM
I need beeswax, but at a little better price.

The_Rural_Juror
01-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Man I tried the Chuckwagon cafe after hearing so much about it, and came out super disappointed. Super greasy, coffee was run of the mill. Service was good, the waitress was super courteous saying "hun" a million times. There's good value, my plate was a mound of food but quality was moderate at best - I had the salmon scramble feature.

Perhaps I'll have to try it again.

They are famous for their beef.

ExtraSlow
01-18-2015, 09:32 PM
All about the beef. The owner is also a rancher.

msommers
01-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Sorry to derail, but thanks for the mention. I'll have to give it another go

The_Rural_Juror
01-18-2015, 10:12 PM
I had some sort of Croissant Steak Benedict. Pretty amazing.

bignerd
01-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

Yes yes yes!

All their products are amazing!

I have about 2 dozen bottles of their mead and about 4 types of honey in my pantry right now. Nice little trip down to their meadery and fun to try meads and look around.

The ice cream there is great too.

Currently have an Alberta multi floral, Fireweed, Leatherwood and Blueberry honey open.

I know you were asking about honey but try their mead too, it is in my opinion the best in Alberta.

Kritafo
01-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

Yes yes yes!

All their products are amazing!

I have about 2 dozen bottles of their mead and about 4 types of honey in my pantry right now. Nice little trip down to their meadery and fun to try meads and look around.

The ice cream there is great too.

Currently have an Alberta multi floral, Fireweed, Leatherwood and Blueberry honey open.

I know you were asking about honey but try their mead too, it is in my opinion the best in Alberta.

there mead has won many awards..I love their mead as well best in Alberta IMHO as well. Love the fireweek honey and the lavender, we always have a bunch on the go and comb honey and various other products they sell.

zipdoa
01-23-2015, 04:41 PM
My best friend owns the honey farm just outside of SW Calgary... I'll get the details. I buy it in 7kg tubs. Are you looking for bulk?

BavarianBeast
01-23-2015, 04:47 PM
I will be putting bees out at my farm this spring.

I should have some honey in June and August.

Please note it won't be 'local' as my farm is 100km east of calgary.