PDA

View Full Version : Clay bar questions

FixedGear
01-18-2015, 09:18 PM
I got some kinda white gunk on the outside of my car on the highway, and it's been there for a couple of years. I'm not sure what it is, it looks like it was some kind of viscous paste that hardened and I haven't been able to remove it during car washes. Someone recommended a clay bar, but I know nothing about them. Is there a specific brand or type I should buy? On amazon they are less an $10, but I'm not sure if that would be of lesser quality or not.

gpomp
01-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Go visit chris at carzilla, he should be able to help you out.

FixedGear
01-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Should mention I'm not located in calgary, thanks!

xnvy
01-19-2015, 02:00 AM
You can pick up a Meguiar's clay bar kit from Canadian Tire if you want. I've used it before. Comes with everything you need and works well enough.

ryuen
01-19-2015, 10:31 AM
The cheap Amazon stuff should do just fine. I've used the Meguiar's clay kit before too and I don't notice much difference between clay brands.

Make sure you use lots of lubricant (lol). Dish soap will do in a pinch, no need to buy half a dozen bottles of detailing spray.

Also, keep in mind you are stripping a lot of the wax you had on the car (especially if you use dish soap) so you'll want to follow up with sealant and wax :thumbsup:

jaylo
01-19-2015, 12:26 PM
Hi FixedGear,

Clay bar can get rid of contaminants, but will induce some marring or scratching after's (your miles may vary depending on brand and model of vehicle and brand of clay bar)

People usually follow-up with a paint-correction method of polish (2-stage or 3-stage, Meguiar's M105 to Menzerna SF4500 or Meguiar's M105 to Menzerna PF2500 to Menzerna SF4500)

Lastly, carnauba wax or high polymer sealant like Menzerna Power Lock is used

DetailedImage.com has tons of valuable information, I would suggest read-up before you touch your paint work

Must you ignore what I just recommended, you can at least get a premium clay bar from Auto Obsessed website

Thanks

schocker
01-22-2015, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ryuen
The cheap Amazon stuff should do just fine. I've used the Meguiar's clay kit before too and I don't notice much difference between clay brands.

amazon actually carries most of the chemical guys products now. They do have a clay bar kit for about $20 which is cheaper than the meguiars. The amazon pricing is a bit more than auto obsessed though but then free shipping over $25. I do my big orders through AO.

Originally posted by jaylo
Clay bar can get rid of contaminants, but will induce some marring or scratching after's (your miles may vary depending on brand and model of vehicle and brand of clay bar)

Does it scratch if it is lubricated enough and a clean bar? I didn't know about that.

know1edge
01-22-2015, 10:13 AM
There are different grades of clay (fine, mild, aggressive) and there are soft and hard paints.
Clay is basically a super fine sandpaper, and any time there's physical contact with the paint, you risk marring. In general use with the fine & mild clays, you won't have a problem.

There are also alternatives to clay bars (Opti-Eraser, Nanoskin, Speedy Prep Towel)

Speed_69
01-22-2015, 12:57 PM
I have a new Mother's clay bar kit that I've never used that I'm selling for $15 if anyone is interested :dunno: PM me.

FixedGear
01-22-2015, 08:58 PM
Thanks a lot for all the advice guys

mr2mike
01-23-2015, 09:07 AM
Sounds like you ran over a wet painted marking on the road.
Someone came to the dealership a long time ago. Wheel wells were caked with yellow paint. They wanted it cleaned.
Basically, had to just underbody spray over top of the yellow.

It will eventually come off the car's paint. I think it was gas line antifreeze that was used or another harsh chemical.