PDA

View Full Version : complaints of City of Calgary Councillors getting drunk and using illicit drugs

spikerS
01-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Well, the certainly explains A LOT! :eek:

Charges of councillors getting "blotto" at communtiy events and illicit drug use were bandied about during a Priorities and Finance Committee meeting Tuesday.

During debate on whether to bring members of council in line with administration when it comes to alcohol use while at work, Mayor Naheed Nenshi said he has received "multiple complaints of council members getting blotto at community events," and later, that he has received reports, "of illicit substances in the workplace."

When pressed by Coun. Andre Chabot, Nenshi said he has never suspected any members of council of being under the influence during a meeting, and clarified that by saying he wouldn't know what someone on drugs even looks like.

The idea of having random drug tests for elected city officials was raised by Coun. Sean Chu, however Nenshi pointed out the Supreme Court has been very clear that's not acceptable.

Committee members were discussing a recommendation to bring them under the same rules as administrators and city employees, which would mean they can't have alcohol in their offices, nor drink it during work hours.

Councillors will be allowed to have a drink at community events, but will have to remain "fit for duty," said auditor Kathy Palmer.

Whether someone is fit to work would be a discretionary decision made by other members of council, said Palmer.

More to come ...

Nenshi is pretty quick to say no to testing...

Mibz
01-20-2015, 12:34 PM
and clarified that by saying he wouldn't know what someone on drugs even looks like I'm honestly surprised Nenshi said this. For all the crap I give him, I really thought he'd be the last person to drop the "LOL what's drugs?!" line.

spikerS
01-20-2015, 12:40 PM
Yeah, as much as I hate Nenshi, I was surprised he said that. I am not levelling this charge at Nenshi, I am just surprised he is defending himself so quickly here. In my experiences in the past, that is a pretty good indicator of guilt.

roopi
01-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
The idea of having random drug tests for elected city officials was raised by Coun. Sean Chu, however Nenshi pointed out the Supreme Court has been very clear that's not acceptable.

:confused: I thought there are companies out there that do random drug testing. Or was this something in the past that no longer happens? If it does still happen then what is the comment above mean that this is not acceptable?

AzNxHyDrA
01-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by roopi

:confused: I thought there are companies out there that do random drug testing. Or was this something in the past that no longer happens? If it does still happen then what is the comment above mean that this is not acceptable?

IIRC Random drug testing isn't allowed anymore. Drug testing is still allowed if they provide notification.

Oh yeah here you go. http://www.mondaq.com/canada/x/246488/employee+rights+labour+relations/The+Supreme+Court+Of+Canada+Rules+On+Random+Drug+And+Alcohol+Testing+In+The+Workplace

FraserB
01-20-2015, 01:09 PM
And reasonable grounds testing is allowed.

So if there is an accident, we can refer someone for an A&D test. We can also do it if we have reasonable grounds/suspicion that someone is under the influence.

hampstor
01-20-2015, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by roopi

I'm not a lawyer but I believe Nenshi is right about the SCC ruling (it was a union v. Irving paper).

Random alcohol/drug testing is only permitted in certain conditions (I believe it's dangerous workplace environment where there is evidence of widespread substance abuse). I imagine it would be a longshot to make case for city councillors that would allow random A&D testing when Suncor couldn't even do it for their oilsands operations.

Originally posted by FraserB
And reasonable grounds testing is allowed.

So if there is an accident, we can refer someone for an A&D test. We can also do it if we have reasonable grounds/suspicion that someone is under the influence.

:thumbsup:

rage2
01-20-2015, 01:17 PM
and clarified that by saying he wouldn't know what someone on drugs even looks like

Originally posted by Mibz
I'm honestly surprised Nenshi said this. For all the crap I give him, I really thought he'd be the last person to drop the "LOL what's drugs?!" line.
He's a liar. He knows exactly what a person on drugs looks like. Proof:

http://toofar.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/nenshi.jpg

KRyn
01-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by rage2

He's a liar. He knows exactly what a person on drugs looks like. Proof:

Well played sir, well played.
:rofl::D

01RedDX
01-20-2015, 01:27 PM

FraserB
01-20-2015, 01:31 PM
Have to love how Sean Chu was so vehement he doesn't drink, yet didn't bother to deny the drugs.;)

D'z Nutz
01-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Haha Ford was so strung out, he thought Nenshi was being "just really friendly"

Mixalot27
01-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Somehow I can't picture many City of Calgary Councillors being big drinkers or drug users. They seem like more of the fancy coffee or tea crowd to me. Although some of the ideas they come up with do make me wonder, what they are on.

schocker
01-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Now some of their ideas make sense :rofl:

btimbit
01-20-2015, 02:53 PM
We need to clone Ralph Klein. He'd show these rookies how it's done

ExtraSlow
01-20-2015, 03:05 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/31841412.jpg

Sophal
01-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

I'm not a lawyer but I believe Nenshi is right about the SCC ruling (it was a union v. Irving paper).

Random alcohol/drug testing is only permitted in certain conditions (I believe it's dangerous workplace environment where there is evidence of widespread substance abuse). I imagine it would be a longshot to make case for city councillors that would allow random A&D testing when Suncor couldn't even do it for their oilsands operations.

:thumbsup:

This is true! Random drug testing had been determined to go against your charter of Rights and freedoms. I have to submit to alcohol and drug testing if we're involved in an incident. 2 levels of management has to approve of it. It could be something as simple as a broken truck mirror or a fatality at work. Depends if they're looking for a "reason" to fire a guy. But that is the life of a safety sensitive position.

Fly Fishin'
01-20-2015, 06:13 PM
I love how we can all get drug tested but the supreme court and other officials can't. ...i wonder why...

Sophal
01-20-2015, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
I love how we can all get drug tested but the supreme court and other officials can't. ...i wonder why...

Well in Canada you can find another job, if you don't like the terms of your employment. It would be up to council to put a policy in place, which I doubt they have one. Really you're not doing anything wrong if rules are not broken.

sabad66
01-21-2015, 08:06 AM
Just saw a clip on the news around this

Sean Chu: well she started picking on me first
Nenshi: councillor Chu, this is not a junior high playground

:rofl: :rofl:

Sugarphreak
01-21-2015, 08:19 AM

killramos
01-21-2015, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
The more details that come out on this, the more it sounds like Druh went to an xmas party and got a bunch of sand in her vagina when she saw some of her peers engage in.... gasp... social fun! She probably saw somebody drinking a beer and decided to go no a war path.

Am i a bad person for hoping she gets hit by a bus one day?

She has had SUCH a negative influence on our city and council since she has come on...

C_Dave45
01-21-2015, 08:37 AM
The more details that come out on this, the more it sounds like Druh went to an xmas party and got a bunch of sand in her vagina when she saw some of her peers engage in.... gasp... social fun! She probably saw somebody drinking a beer and decided to go no a war path.

What's really funny is early on in my working days in calgary I got to know Dru on a personal level. I didn't even know she was a councilor and, she was the one of the coolest people I had met. Mouth like a trucker and laughed at the dirtiest of jokes...she was worse than a lot of construction guys.

And another councilor (not her and I would never name the person) is a huge pothead. Wife and I would smoke up all the time with them. To look at the person, they look like the squarest, geekiest person out there. We always laugh every time I see them being interviewed.

dirtsniffer
01-21-2015, 09:15 AM
Gian-Carlo Carra?

mr2mike
01-21-2015, 09:24 AM
You gotta be on something to pick these glasses out and wear them.

http://i.cbc.ca/1.1932151.1400101577!/fileImage/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/16x9_620/druh-farrell-calgary-alderman-ward-7.jpg

cancer man
01-22-2015, 05:58 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/goqso.jpg (https://imgflip.com/i/goqso)via Imgflip Meme Maker (https://imgflip.com/memegenerator)

Xtrema
01-22-2015, 10:32 AM
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/council-shot-down-office-alcohol-ban-in-the-past-official-says

What crawled up her ass to bring up the "wild party" from 7 years ago?

suntan
01-22-2015, 11:12 AM
Wow that bitch sure can sure hold a grudge.

mr2mike
01-22-2015, 11:39 AM
Thanks CancerMan.

I love the link showing everyone's response to drinking in the office.
I can bet the ones saying they don't drink are the ones abusing.

Maxt
01-22-2015, 11:45 AM
This sort of side tracking bulletin comes up when there is some other contentious issue they don't want the public to focus on...
What major roadway are they planning on fucking up with bike lanes this week?

SkiBum5.0
01-22-2015, 02:00 PM
^ Shaganappi

01RedDX
01-22-2015, 02:06 PM

CapnCrunch
01-22-2015, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
This sort of side tracking bulletin comes up when there is some other contentious issue they don't want the public to focus on...
What major roadway are they planning on fucking up with bike lanes this week?

Center lane on Deerfoot.

schocker
01-22-2015, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
Center lane on Deerfoot.
Reduce speed to 70 to make it more accessible.

revelations
01-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
Just saw a clip on the news around this

Sean Chu: well she started picking on me first
Nenshi: councillor Chu, this is not a junior high playground

:rofl: :rofl:

Not surprising in the least bit that the emotional maturity of many councilors is this low.

googe
01-23-2015, 12:27 AM
Pretty surprised anyone cares about drinking or smoking pot. It's about as newsworthy as a councilor eating a sandwich. :drama:

Sugarphreak
02-04-2015, 08:31 AM

lilmira
02-04-2015, 08:56 AM
Typical, let's hire a bunch of people to party some more and write a useless report in the end.

Sugarphreak
02-04-2015, 09:02 AM

lilmira
02-04-2015, 09:09 AM
burp!!!!!!!!!!!!!

msommers
02-04-2015, 09:10 AM
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/en.futurama/images/c/cf/Hyper-Chicken.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090822141314

"As the integrity commissioner for the city, I hereby do make the proclamation that indeed one of the counselors ingested eight whole beers and one glass of red wine in the year 2008 at a recreational event"

"I recommend to lord Nenshi that you have a stern talk about the dangers of alcohol with him"

"Now... where do I collect my one hundred thousand for this here official integrity declaration?"

*slow clap*

The best part is I read the whole thing with his stupid accent :rofl:

http://www.memegasms.com/media/created/hb2t6m.jpg

cancer man
02-05-2015, 06:30 AM
Drugs,Booze and Homosexual relations. I think Nenshi is right.
Our City will have a name change to Welcome to Sodom and Gomorrah formerly known as Calgary.