PDA

View Full Version : Albertans say no to sales tax

tpurcell4
01-21-2015, 10:41 AM
The Calgary Herald released the following article on the 19th:
Albertan say no to sales tax: Poll (http://calgaryherald.com/news/politics/alberta-sales-tax-the-most-detested-budget-solution-poll-says?fb_action_ids=10155183693625492&fb_action_types=og.comments)

To summarize the article:

Jim Prentice proposed a sales tax (PST/HST) to plug the $7 Billion dollar gap in the upcoming budget from lost oil tax revenue.

This was deemed unfavorable by Albertans

List of solutions indicated by the poll:
- Provincial Sales Tax - 9%
- User fees and sin taxes - 22%
- Reintroducing health care premiums - 18%
- income tax hike or a higher tax on wealthy - 17%
- raising energy royalties - 14%
- Not sure - 21%

How should the province deal with the situation (Budget gap)?
- Cut Spending - 43%
- Raise taxes - 15%
- Run a bigger deficit - 11%
- Increase borrowing - 9%
- Not sure - 21%

I also read the following article posted by the CBC recently:
Boom and Bust in Alberta (http://www.cbc.ca/history/EPISCONTENTSE1EP17CH3PA1LE.html)

Please read through the article, it is certainly interesting. Again to summarize, the article tells the story of the boom and bust of the 70's and 80's, and at the end shares how the Alberta economy was pulled out of the recession of the 80's by investing a portion of the revenues earned by the Alberta government from oil and gas taxes into developing a new industry, and diversifying the Alberta economy and supporting the start up of the Forestry industry.

My Thoughts:
This does not mean that we are in the same position we were in, in the 80's. However, if the government is planning on how to fill the gap, and avoid this potential, would it not be prudent to take focus off of how apply a band aide to the situation, and to create a solution as was done in the late 80's? Now is the opportunity for the Alberta government to re-invest some of the revenue earned by oil and gas and focus on job creation, and not on nickle and diming Albertan's who may have just lost their job, or are concerned about job security. I find it odd that re-investing into the economy was not an option on the poll in the first article.

Your thoughts?

Sugarphreak
01-21-2015, 11:29 AM

roopi
01-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
If they introduce a new tax, it will never go away... so I vote no

Either cut spending, or raise an existing tax (such as fuel tax) instead

Property tax? :D

Xtrema
01-21-2015, 12:21 PM
My choices are from most favorable to least (After spending cut):

1) Reintroduce Health Care Premiums
2) Sin tax & User fees
3) Sales Tax
4) Property tax
5) Progressive income tax

sputnik
01-21-2015, 12:50 PM
If I had to guess I think the days of a 10% flat income tax are coming to an end.

M.alex
01-21-2015, 01:07 PM
This shouldn't be rocket science, cut spending. You don't need a $5-10B road so people can get to one end of the city 5 minutes faster. Bam, at least $5B savings - can i have 10% for that finding?

I can't believe anybody would be stupid enough to think that they would introduce a new tax/raise an existing one, then get rid of it when things calm down and revenues go back up.

msommers
01-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Increase corporate tax by 1%.

Introduce a sin tax.

Tik-Tok
01-21-2015, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Introduce a sin tax.

What do you mean "introduce"? We already have them.

Originally posted by M.alex

I can't believe anybody would be stupid enough to think that they would introduce a new tax/raise an existing one, then get rid of it when things calm down and revenues go back up.

I'm still waiting for them to stop the "temporary" income tax from WWI :rofl:

jacky4566
01-21-2015, 01:21 PM
I really hate it when polls simply list "Cut Spending". Its too easy for the public to say that since they don't full understand the consequence. If it said "increase wait times at hospital" or "cut grade 12" people would flip shit. Nobody is going to vote for provincial tax because who wants to pay more?

I like the idea of a minimum gas tax. Where if gas drops below 1$ we still tax it at 1$ but above then its a percent again.

Swank
01-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Increase sin taxes, people will always pay for their vices. I wonder how much City Hall's booze budget is :D

sputnik
01-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Swank
Increase sin taxes, people will always pay for their vices. I wonder how much City Hall's booze budget is :D

Income tax too. Its not like people are going to quit their jobs and leave Alberta because income taxes go up a few percentage points.

Chances are they would still be lower than any of the other provinces.

01RedDX
01-21-2015, 01:49 PM

HiTempguy1
01-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
I really hate it when polls simply list "Cut Spending". Its too easy for the public to say that since they don't full understand the consequence. If it said "increase wait times at hospital" or "cut grade 12" people would flip shit.

Oh don't worry. The big one will be public workers wages/benefits. Thank christ the AUPE recently signed contracts for the next 3 years :nut: Of course, everybody would jump up and down if I was getting a pay-cut.

killramos
01-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
I think I would support this: sugary drink tax and make it substantial; 50% +.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/20/alberta-health-groups-suggest-taxing-soda-pop-and-other-sugary-drinks

Ok Mr. Bloomberg :facepalm:

schocker
01-21-2015, 02:00 PM

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/20/alberta-health-groups-suggest-taxing-soda-pop-and-other-sugary-drinks $158mm/yr is 77L per person per year. Stupid idea overall.

FraserB
01-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by schocker
$158mm/yr is 77L per person per year. Stupid idea overall.

I think a lot of people would be fine with a tax like that. I also have no trouble believing the numbers, you be shocked at how much crap people drink.

sabad66
01-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Where is the legalize recreational pot option? Colorado is making more than 30M per month from that alone. time to get creative IMO...take money from organized crime and put it into gov't bank accounts.

If not that then I like the progressive income tax. Nothing too substantial though.

9% from 16k-40k
10% 40k-120k
11% 120k+

Kloubek
01-21-2015, 02:13 PM
I know it has been said by many, and I know it is over simplified, but I really think that there has to be far heavier taxes for those making the top few percent of income across the province. Especially in a province like Alberta in which oil and gas is the primary industry, you have some people making money hand over fist... especially when the economy is good. Is to too much to ask that they share the wealth?

I'm sure many will have something to say about this, of course. Enlighten me as to why a structure like this wouldn't work:

Top 1%: Increase income tax by 10%
Top 2%: Increase income tax by 7.5%
Top 3%: Increase income tax by 5%
Top 4% Increase income tax by 2.5%

01RedDX
01-21-2015, 02:14 PM

schocker
01-21-2015, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
I think a lot of people would be fine with a tax like that. I also have no trouble believing the numbers, you be shocked at how much crap people drink.
I don't like it as itincludes energy drinks, sports drinks etc even sugar free/diet. Just checked a gatorade G2, 50 cal 12g sugar. Lets tax that like pop because I had a bottle after some sports. Why not tax juice also, sure it is natural but it also has the same amount of calories and sugar as pop?

01RedDX
01-21-2015, 02:24 PM

Mibz
01-21-2015, 02:32 PM
I don't like it as itincludes energy drinks On what planet do you consider energy drinks healthy? What justification do you have for exempting them from a "You're drinking garbage" tax?

schocker
01-21-2015, 02:32 PM
There can be exemptions, let's say anything with added high-fructose corn syrup gets taxed, juices with no added sugar get left alone.

BTW "diet" drinks have been shown as being harmful in that they trigger a glycemic response and insulin release as much as or more than a regular pop.
I thought most drinks in canada though do not use HFCS but only normal sucrose type sugar. If they are using it to prevent obesity though and tooth decay as their reasons, juice would be just as bad as pop.

Originally posted by Mibz
On what planet do you consider energy drinks healthy? What justification do you have for exempting them from a "You're drinking garbage" tax?
I never said they are healthy :rofl:
Everything is just lumped together is what I was trying to get at. Sugar free energy drinks, canned coffee etc.

A790
01-21-2015, 02:33 PM

I don't like it as itincludes energy drinks, sports drinks etc even sugar free/diet. Just checked a gatorade G2, 50 cal 12g sugar. Lets tax that like pop because I had a bottle after some sports. Why not tax juice also, sure it is natural but it also has the same amount of calories and sugar as pop?
Most juices you buy today are little more than pop that is lacking carbonation.

Increase sin taxes. You want to drink and smoke? Fine, pay for it.
Reintroduce health care premiums.
Stimulate new economic development of alternative industries via taxation and other temporary but valuable incentives. Maybe it is time we consider stronger diversification of our economy.

Mitsu3000gt
01-21-2015, 02:36 PM
I would LOVE to see higher taxes on things like pop, cigarettes, etc. They put such a drain on other areas of the system like healthcare that I think it would be a fantastic place to start. I know enough people that see the enormous drain that has on the system first hand to fully support that idea.

Legalizing pot with taxes would be a great idea too. Added benefit of not having small drug charges go through the courts too I would assume.

Increasing taxes on the top few % earners would be fine with me as well.

At the end of the day I would support basically anything except a brand new sales tax like PST because it will NEVER EVER go away, even if they say it will.

We also don't need to be building peace bridges, decorative overpass rings, and strange art that homeless people just take over in times of economic hardship.

Mitsu3000gt
01-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by A790

Most juices you buy today are little more than pop that is lacking carbonation.

Increase sin taxes. You want to drink and smoke? Fine, pay for it.
Reintroduce health care premiums.
Stimulate new economic development of alternative industries via taxation and other temporary but valuable incentives. Maybe it is time we consider stronger diversification of our economy.

Have a look at Sunny D haha, lots of people think it's healthy orange juice:

Ingredients: Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and 2% or Less of Each of the Following: Concentrated Juices (Orange, Tangerine, Apple, Lime, Grapefruit). Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Beta-Carotene, Thiamin Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Natural Flavors, Food Starch-Modified, Canola Oil, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Sodium Benzoate To Protect Flavor, Yellow #5, Yellow #6

BigMass
01-21-2015, 02:46 PM
increase taxes for the wealthy, tax dividends as income, implement a luxury tax

I don't see any of those on the list of options aside from the catch-all "raise taxes" which would freak out everyone in the middle class.

A790
01-21-2015, 02:50 PM
Legalization of pot is a good idea, although we could expect to see somewhere closer to $50 million in direct tax revenues (Colorado did $60 million in 2014 with a population approximately 1.1 million higher). However, in addition to taxing pot itself there'd also be an economic lift as new jobs and industries are created.

It's a great idea that we blindly ignore because of decades-old propaganda.

BigMass
01-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Legalization of pot is a good idea, although we could expect to see somewhere closer to $50 million in direct tax revenues (Colorado did $60 million in 2014 with a population approximately 1.1 million higher). However, in addition to taxing pot itself there'd also be an economic lift as new jobs and industries are created.

I don't think provinces have the same powers in Canada that states do in the US. In Canada it would have to be Federal and that will never happen with this administration.

spike98
01-21-2015, 03:02 PM

AND reduced strain (cost) on the prison/judicial/law enforcement systems.

sputnik
01-21-2015, 03:22 PM

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/01/20/alberta-health-groups-suggest-taxing-soda-pop-and-other-sugary-drinks

They should really include artificially sweetened drinks as well as those chemicals are probably far worse than sugar.

Feruk
01-21-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm so tired of people talking about how to take more of my money in the form of taxes. Fuck off and start slashing instead.

As for more sin and fuel taxes, what a stupid idea. A pack of smokes already has ~$8 of the $12 going to taxes. Booze is probably not much different. Gas stations make almost nothing on fuel, but the government does in all different forms of taxes. I agree it makes sense to put taxes on these items, but where does it end? If you want to offset health care costs, tax things that lead to the #1 health issue in Canada, obesity and heart attacks. Alcoholics and smokers don't get fat...

Yes I like roads and I like health care, so I am happy to pay for these things. But when revenue's down, perhaps we can't afford as much of them?

There can be exemptions, let's say anything with added high-fructose corn syrup gets taxed, juices with no added sugar get left alone.
Juice is almost as bad for you as pop; at least sugar content wise. If you tax one, you should tax the other as well. Juice being healthy for you is a myth.

Feruk
01-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Double post

01RedDX
01-21-2015, 03:56 PM

Chandler_Racing
01-21-2015, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
increase taxes for the wealthy, tax dividends as income, implement a luxury tax

I don't see any of those on the list of options aside from the catch-all "raise taxes" which would freak out everyone in the middle class.

Increasing taxes to the weathy is already in effect (through a marginal tax based system) but it will never solve the underlying problem and if abused infact creates a larger problem through wealthy exodus. Just look at France for a real world example.

I'd suggest the opposite in the form of tax incentives to establish significant long-term investment in Canada that creates more jobs.

The fundamental problem has been and always will be the government operating on a budget based approach (if they don't spend it they lose it) rather than be incentivsed to reduce costs and maintain service levels. Slash and cuts need to happen for non essential services.

A790
01-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
As for more sin and fuel taxes, what a stupid idea. A pack of smokes already has ~$8 of the $12 going to taxes. Booze is probably not much different. Gas stations make almost nothing on fuel, but the government does in all different forms of taxes. I agree it makes sense to put taxes on these items, but where does it end? If you want to offset health care costs, tax things that lead to the #1 health issue in Canada, obesity and heart attacks. Alcoholics and smokers don't get fat...
Fuck that. Tax the shit out of them. A 500% sin tax seems reasonable to me. :)

Feruk
01-21-2015, 04:06 PM
Yeah, they do actually and you don't have to be obese to be unhealthy. Alcoholics and smokers put as much of a strain on the system as obese people - various cancers, liver and kidney diseases and yes, cardiovascular problems. You also contradicted yourself by saying that sin taxes are stupid, then saying that we should tax things that lead to obesity and heart attacks. :nut:

Less alcoholics and smokers than fat people. Alcoholics and smokers already pay 100%+ "sin tax". Fat people pay 0 (unless of course they're alcoholics or smokers :) ). I'm not saying sin taxes are stupid, I'm saying certain sins are insanely overtaxed and we should not be adding more taxes there.

msommers
01-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

What do you mean "introduce"? We already have them.

I meant increase but had a brain fart lol.

killramos
01-21-2015, 04:22 PM
What about the alcoholics who take their booze in the sugary fizzy mixed form? Think of the teenage girls whoa will be getting ripped off by double sin taxes.

:rofl:

Also i just have to lol at the potheads who think that legalizing marijuana is the solution to every problem...

CanmoreOrLess
01-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Fat tax, if you are 10% over your ideal weight.... BOOM TAX!

Fuel tax increase, double it.

Truck tax, if you drive a truck and do not need it for employment.... BOOM TAX!

Coffee tax (aka soccer mom tax), if you are ordering a coffee with anything more complicated than a black coffee.... BOOM TAX!

Child in cafe tax, if you bring your kids into a cafe... BOOM TAX! Stroller is a 3x tax and the kid loses a toe.

Legalization of pot for revenue/jobs/drop BS legal costs, driving without snow tires tax, if you are caught shopping in the middle area (healthy stuff is in the outer area) of a supermarket tax.

Thales of Miletus
01-21-2015, 04:28 PM
How about collecting all the royalties that are owed, then increase the royalty rates to what they should be?

The fact that this Province hasn't been able to save during a ten year boom is an embarrassment.

Anyone that says that they are afraid of voting NDP or Liberal has to be joking. How can anyone do a worse job than the PCs have done over the last 20 years?

Saving? Down.
Quality of medical care? Down
Quality of public education? Down.

Debt? Up

killramos
01-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Here's a way to add revenue and stimulate oil and gas!

Engine smaller than a V8? BOOM TAX, Tax credits for 10 or more cylinders

HOV, or carpooling? Carpooling Tax, drive yourself in and pay extra sale taxes for your parking space!

Mandatory car starters and 15 minutes of idling before driving!

Transit Tax! - 30% on any transit fairs or passes ( same reason as HOV)

:rofl:

A790
01-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Also i just have to lol at the potheads who think that legalizing marijuana is the solution to every problem...
It seems to be doing a great job in Colorado and Washington State.

94boosted
01-21-2015, 04:46 PM
Lot's of support for increasing/additional taxes.... I've always wondered what the typical person is left with at the end of the day after all deductions are accounted for (income taxes, CPP, EI, GST, property tax, fuel taxes, sin taxes, tire taxes etc.) say someone that earns a 100K, how much of that actually went to the government 60K? 65K? Just curious that's all.

ercchry
01-21-2015, 04:50 PM
take a page out of colorado's play book... legalize, and tax

and no, i didnt read the thread :rofl:

icky2unk
01-21-2015, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus
How about collecting all the royalties that are owed, then increase the royalty rates to what they should be?

The fact that this Province hasn't been able to save during a ten year boom is an embarrassment.

Anyone that says that they are afraid of voting NDP or Liberal has to be joking. How can anyone do a worse job than the PCs have done over the last 20 years?

Saving? Down.
Quality of medical care? Down
Quality of public education? Down.

Debt? Up

And drive all the investment out of the province... great idea.

tpurcell4
01-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Wow, a lot of support for sin taxes and income tax increase.

What if the article said instead of Increase deficit or take on debt gave the option of Investing in economy?

Live A790 and Chandler_Racing mentioned (sorry if anyone else mentioned this as well and I missed you), and invest to create incentives to attract other industries, more Research and Development, high tech, increase the steel manufacturing industry. In down economic times there also tends to be an increase of adults going back to school to learn a new trade, profession or upgrade to become more competitive, so a focus there would be well in line.

How about incentives to start new business, or grow small business to medium size and employ a few hundred employees vs. less than a hundred.

Keep in mind that the other resource Alberta currently has in abundance is skilled labor and Highly educated professionals (Engineers, Accountants, Lawyers, doctors, etc...), and we can and should leverage this to attract industry.

Increasing taxes is certainly an option, a band aide for the interim. However, it will not solve major problems long term as "you cannot get blood from a stone".

msommers
01-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Our long term problem is we're a resource base economy and need to get on the manufacturing wagon. Dutch disease comes to mind.

Research would be great, especially in the health and genetics sector. However universities are already getting major cuts as are major research grants like NSERC.

Health care and education should be our number 1 concerns. Figuring out how to maintain that should be the primary scope. Legalizing pot is a great stream of revenue. Portugal did a big study on this and other drugs. Long term, everything benefit. I'll see if I can find the paper again.

01RedDX
01-21-2015, 07:18 PM

A790
01-21-2015, 07:19 PM

I support all these measures, but we have to be realistic, since we're talking about the Alberta PC government. The most innovative thing they can think of is to subvert the opposition. :nut: It's clear, their priority is to hold on to power, not to enact positive socioeconomic change. Therefore, since the discussion has come to instituting new taxes, people are talking about the taxes they would rather see instead of a PST.
If only there was a way to get rid of the PC...

Feruk
01-22-2015, 12:01 AM
Our long term problem is we're a resource base economy and need to get on the manufacturing wagon.

Research would be great, especially in the health and genetics sector. However universities are already getting major cuts as are major research grants like NSERC.
Manufacturing? Ok Ontario... What exactly would you have us manufacture?

R&D? Sounds great, but why would a company want to do R&D in Calgary vs somewhere else in the world? Most of the R&D that we do here is oil and gas based. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that I don't see what the advantage would be to do biomedical research here vs anywhere else. Sure, a few university grants here or there, but nothing on an economy altering scope.

88jbody
01-24-2015, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Lot's of support for increasing/additional taxes.... I've always wondered what the typical person is left with at the end of the day after all deductions are accounted for (income taxes, CPP, EI, GST, property tax, fuel taxes, sin taxes, tire taxes etc.) say someone that earns a 100K, how much of that actually went to the government 60K? 65K? Just curious that's all. My income for 2014 was about 93k I took home 63k

I think a mild tax increase on higher income brakcets, say at 150k 1% more, at 250k 2% more, and 350k+ 3% more, I dont know exact amounts but something like that, just make sure its a marginal increase.

then pick and choose projects to shelf, you dont want to cut too many projects becasue then even more will be out of work than what is allready on the way.

there is room to trim the fat in the budget for savings, but that also has to be carefully and not large.

insentives to more industries that come in, the economy here needs to diversify between more industries for times like this it seems it every only takes a year or 2 after the economy rebounds do people seem to forget that it can go down just as easily as up.

And if it were possible leaglize and tax pot. but like someone said that i believe is federal so would be a tough sell, but to add in medical dispnseries and tax that pot im sure would help.

or maybe one or 2 of the beyond guys could dig in the couch find enough to prop the economy up for a couple years

blitz
01-24-2015, 09:45 PM
A fuel tax linked to the previous months average pricing used in Royalty calculations is a no brainer. Price decreases, royalties go down, taxes go up and you end up paying the same $/L as you did before.

ddduke
01-24-2015, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I know it has been said by many, and I know it is over simplified, but I really think that there has to be far heavier taxes for those making the top few percent of income across the province. Especially in a province like Alberta in which oil and gas is the primary industry, you have some people making money hand over fist... especially when the economy is good. Is to too much to ask that they share the wealth?

I'm sure many will have something to say about this, of course. Enlighten me as to why a structure like this wouldn't work:

Top 1%: Increase income tax by 10%
Top 2%: Increase income tax by 7.5%
Top 3%: Increase income tax by 5%
Top 4% Increase income tax by 2.5%

I don't see how this is fair at all. The top 10% usually work harder, longer and invest wiser then because of their hard work they get forced to pay more because the bottom 90% can't achieve what the have?

What would make more sense is if everyone got taxed equally no matter how much you make.

Just because I make more then someone doesn't mean I should be singled out and forced to pay more taxes then them.

davidI
01-25-2015, 12:41 AM
Increase taxes on:

Gasoline / Diesel
Junk Food including pop / energy drinks
Tobacco
Alcohol

The key in this would be for the money to temporarily fill the budget gap and for future surpluses to be applied to things like renewable energy and health subsidies. Of course, very few politicians have the integrity to actually do that and in all likelihood the funds would just become general revenue.

Another idea, municipally, is for Calgary to introduce congestion charges (parking / toll) for people living in communities that are well connected to public transportation but who still drive downtown. That money could then be applied to improve city transit infrastructure.

msommers
01-25-2015, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

I don't see how this is fair at all. The top 10% usually work harder, longer and invest wiser then because of their hard work they get forced to pay more because the bottom 90% can't achieve what the have?

Work harder and longer equates to more money?

If only that were even remotely true. Investing takes money to make money.

What is the lowest salary of Alberta's top 10%? What's the highest?

ddduke
01-25-2015, 01:59 AM

Work harder and longer equates to more money?

If only that were even remotely true. Investing takes money to make money.

What is the lowest salary of Alberta's top 10%? What's the highest?

In many cases it does, you think that Alberta's top earners got there by being lazy in their job? Or did most work hard and long to get there?

By investing I don't just mean stocks or rental properties, I mean a tfsa, home, etc. Just generally not squandering your money.

Either way it's still bullshit that a guy who makes $200k/year should have to pay 10% higher taxes then the guy who makes $80k/year. The only people who agree with this are the lowest 90% who feel they have no chance of ever being in the top 10%.

01RedDX
01-25-2015, 02:07 AM

ddduke
01-25-2015, 02:51 AM

Ah, the old "rich work harder than the poor" fallacy.

Try telling that to a person working 2 minimum wage jobs just to make ends meet in an environment of hyperinflation caused by - you guessed it - the rich, the speculators, those who are in a position to create their own rules.

But oh, right, it's not their fault - they're just capitalists. It's the poor's fault for being lazy, after all.

I know there's lots of poor people that work hard, that's not my point and maybe I didn't explain myself properly. What I'm saying is that most of the top earners work hard to get there, you don't usually just get handed a $200k+/year job (well, except for Nenshi). Then they get punished for becoming successful by paying higher taxes.

What I'm getting at is taxes should be equal for everyone.

If someone makes $240k/year and pays 30% taxes they contribute $72k in taxes, the guy making $80k/year contributes $24k in taxes but the lower earner still seems to think that the $72k wasn't enough even though the higher earner basically took lower earner's entire salary and contributed it. I just personally think that's bullshit.

msommers
01-25-2015, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by ddduke

In many cases it does, you think that Alberta's top earners got there by being lazy in their job? Or did most work hard and long to get there?

I've never once said that CEOs are didn't work hard. But lots of people here in Alberta work long, hard hours and don't make 6 million/year in total compensation.

Either way it's still bullshit that a guy who makes $200k/year should have to pay 10% higher taxes then the guy who makes $80k/year. The only people who agree with this are the lowest 90% who feel they have no chance of ever being in the top 10%.

And I think it's bullshit that a directional driller makes $1,500/day, running a "consulting company" working directly for one service company, all the while paying corporate tax rates. But hey what can you do.

Find the top 10% of Alberta's top earners then see where the majority of Albertan's wages fit.

Here are weekly averages to give you an idea.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/labor93j-eng.htm

01RedDX
01-25-2015, 03:13 AM

01RedDX
01-25-2015, 03:26 AM

ddduke
01-25-2015, 03:45 AM
EDIT. thanks for the link msommers

msommers
01-25-2015, 03:59 AM
http://www.econmentor.com/personal-finance-economics/ssepf3/define-progressive-regressive-and-proportional-taxes/text/1713.html#Define%20progressive,%20regressive%20and%20proportional%20taxes

01RedDX
01-25-2015, 04:39 AM

davidI
01-25-2015, 06:18 AM

:thumbsup:

Close these corporate loopholes, tax dividends and capital gains as income, etc, if you want to talk about fairness.

The rich create their own rules for becoming mega-rich, then look down on the poor for not working hard enough.

People seem to forget these consultants generally have no company paid health plan, retirement contributions, stock or stock options, bonuses, and are the first on the chopping block when the price of oil tumbles to $50/bbl without fat severance packages.

When you add it all up, the cost of a "highly paid" consultant to a company is often less than that of its salaried personnel.

16hypen3sp
01-25-2015, 08:41 AM
Instead of coming up with a bunch of bull shit, why don't they just run a deficit?

Tik-Tok
01-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Instead of coming up with a bunch of bull shit, why don't they just run a deficit?

But then how would they keep collecting after oil prices go back up?

16hypen3sp
01-25-2015, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

But then how would they keep collecting after oil prices go back up?

I just don't understand why they are going to tax their way out of this downturn. Like a PST and now I'm hearing serious talk of a progressive tax system. Meanwhile, infrastructure projects are going to be cut when the budget comes out.

And yah, I can't really see all of this tax disappearing when oil rises again.

ExtraSlow
01-25-2015, 03:44 PM
I've always thought that since we have the concept of a basic personal exemption, it would make sense for that amount to be somewhere around or even above the poverty line.
Seems strange to me that it's much lower.

Why would someone who's living in poverty pay any income tax at all?

Also, because we do have this basic personal exemption, even a "flat tax" is "progressive". The herald has a decent article on this topic today. But that math isn't hard.

I wish we had a vastly simplified tax code. Fewer exemptions and credits.

Thales of Miletus
01-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by icky2unk

And drive all the investment out of the province... great idea.

That is such a load of crap. It is what business threatens to do every time it is asked to pay a fair share.

It is like being married to a wife, that never puts out, sits on the couch, gets you to do all the work, and then threatens to leave you if you don't increase her allowance.

ExtraSlow
01-25-2015, 05:12 PM
I didn't know you knew my wife?

max_boost
01-25-2015, 07:30 PM
^^^ Lol :rofl: :thumbsup:

davidI
01-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

I wish we had a vastly simplified tax code. Fewer exemptions and credits.

Agreed. Nearly 1% of my salary went to my tax accountant while I lived in Canada and I believe around 1% of tax revenues are spent on tax collection (i.e. CRA). What a waste.

tpurcell4
01-26-2015, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

:thumbsup:

icky2unk
01-27-2015, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

That is such a load of crap. It is what business threatens to do every time it is asked to pay a fair share.

It is like being married to a wife, that never puts out, sits on the couch, gets you to do all the work, and then threatens to leave you if you don't increase her allowance.

Oh like last time when the Province had billions of dollars pulled out of the province. I get you trying to save the world but your ideas suck.