PDA

View Full Version : King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia dies at 90

Sentry
01-22-2015, 08:45 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_OBIT_KING_ABDULLAH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) -- Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah, the powerful U.S. ally who fought against al-Qaida and sought to modernize the ultraconservative Muslim kingdom, including by nudging open greater opportunities for women, has died. He was 90.

More than his guarded and hidebound predecessors, Abdullah assertively threw his oil-rich nation's weight behind trying to shape the Middle East. His priority was to counter the influence of rival, mainly Shiite Iran wherever it tried to make advances. He and fellow Sunni Arab monarchs also staunchly opposed the Middle East's wave of pro-democracy uprisings, seeing them as a threat to stability and their own rule.

He backed Sunni Muslim factions against Tehran's allies in several countries, but in Lebanon for example, the policy failed to stop Iranian-backed Hezbollah from gaining the upper hand. And Tehran and Riyadh's colliding ambitions stoked proxy conflicts around the region that enflamed Sunni-Shiite hatreds - most horrifically in Syria's civil war, where the two countries backed opposing sides. Those conflicts in turn hiked Sunni militancy that returned to threaten Saudi Arabia.

And while the king maintained the historically close alliance with Washington, there were frictions as he sought to put those relations on Saudi Arabia's terms. He was constantly frustrated by Washington's failure to broker a settlement to the Israel-Palestinian conflict. He also pushed the Obama administration to take a tougher stand against Iran and to more strongly back the mainly Sunni rebels fighting to overthrow Syrian President Bashar Assad.

A royal court statement said the king died at 1 a.m. on Friday. His successor was announced as 79-year-old half-brother, Prince Salman, according to the statement carried on the Saudi Press Agency. Salman was Abdullah's crown prince and had recently taken on some of the ailing king's responsibilities.

President Barack Obama expressed condolences and offered sympathy to the people of Saudi Arabia.

trickyone
01-22-2015, 09:16 PM
time to buy O&G stocks?

ExtraSlow
01-23-2015, 07:42 AM
I don't know why, but it always saddens me greatly to hear of a Monarch dying, much more so than a hollywood celebrity. Rip to Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

As for this having any effect on O&G stocks, not really. His brother has been making most of the decisions for years, and he'll be the king now. After that, it's his other brother. When power passes a generation down, To the grandsons of Ibn Saud, there are more options in the royal bloodline, and more possibility of that country making larger social and economic changes. That's when things will really get interesting. I'd say there's also a decent chance of a civil war, which could turn regional, since SA is one of the only stable countries in that area.

riander5
01-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I don't know why, but it always saddens me greatly to hear of a Monarch dying, much more so than a hollywood celebrity. Rip to Abdullah bin Abdulaziz Al Saud.

As for this having any effect on O&G stocks, not really. His brother has been making most of the decisions for years, and he'll be the king now. After that, it's his other brother. When power passes a generation down, To the grandsons of Ibn Saud, there are more options in the royal bloodline, and more possibility of that country making larger social and economic changes. That's when things will really get interesting. I'd say there's also a decent chance of a civil war, which could turn regional, since SA is one of the only stable countries in that area.

This makes you sad? RIP to a guy who lived to 90 with billions of dollars and the freedom to do whatever the hell he wanted his whole life. So sad.

Im sure his successors will make quick and sweeping changes. How could they possibly be happy with the status quo?

ZenOps
01-23-2015, 11:06 AM
I doubt his passing will have much effect, he instituted changes long before this - a man with a plan.

The Queen is right on his heels in terms of age, that will be a bombshell to the commonwealth.

MalibuStacy
01-23-2015, 02:10 PM
I will be quite saddened by the eventual passing of the Queen. She has been. Very prominent figure for so long, and by and large is loved by the commonwealth.

BavarianBeast
01-23-2015, 02:23 PM
Fuck the queen and the royal family.

Bunch of useless fucking twats.

G-ZUS
01-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by BavarianBeast
Fuck the queen and the royal family.

Bunch of useless fucking twats.

:werd:

cancer man
01-24-2015, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by MalibuStacy
I will be quite saddened by the eventual passing of the Queen. She has been. Very prominent figure for so long, and by and large is loved by the commonwealth.

She had Princess Di killed.(They all know it but are to civilized to speak about it)

Christian@IE
01-24-2015, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
(They all know it but are to civilized to speak about it)
TZaRUpXO-0Q

googe
01-26-2015, 09:31 AM
People are going to shed a tear for this piece of shit? Good riddance.

His country jails and publicly lashes bloggers, beheads people, doesn't let women drive, requires women to be "signed out" by the man who "owns" her, and he held a handful of forced "wives" in captivity for 13 years to starve.

01RedDX
01-26-2015, 04:54 PM