PDA

View Full Version : Whats it cost to repaint a car these days?

VWEvo
01-23-2015, 09:10 AM
I'm looking at a '60s classic that is in fairly good condition. The body has very minor rust around the rear well wells but overall needs a respray. Not looking to change the color so don't see the benefit of doing the door jams.

What would a full repaint with minor body work(for the rust) go for these days. If I did want to change the color, how much more would it cost to do door jams and engine bay (would have the engine removed).

corsvette
01-23-2015, 01:03 PM
I got a quote for a 70 Cutlass 442. Same deal, older resto with minor rust. I wanted a good base/clear respray. Highest quote was $10,500, at a specialty shop, lowest was $3,000 from some dude off Kijiji who claimed to have a state of the art paint booth in his garage in Marlborough.

I'd say $5,000 is a safe bet. Just make sure you use a reputable shop....

VWEvo
01-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
I got a quote for a 70 Cutlass 442. Same deal, older resto with minor rust. I wanted a good base/clear respray. Highest quote was $10,500, at a specialty shop, lowest was $3,000 from some dude off Kijiji who claimed to have a state of the art paint booth in his garage in Marlborough.

I'd say $5,000 is a safe bet. Just make sure you use a reputable shop....

Thank, I'm assuming this didn't include jams?

corsvette
01-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Nope, jams were extra. Plan on another $1500+ for jams and under hood.

Graham_A_M
01-23-2015, 01:38 PM
Removing the engine is ideal for a decent quality spray under the hood otherwise it'll look awful where it's hard to get to, near the headers & the rad area (etc). Yes I'd definitely do the jams as well. $10k is about fair.

corsvette
01-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Removing the engine is ideal for a decent quality spray under the hood otherwise it'll look awful where it's hard to get to, near the headers. Yes I'd definitely do the jams as well. $10k is about fair.

It would be ideal, but on a big old muscle car not really necessary. Theres not much in those huge engine bays. It would be much easier to just remove the headers or anything else in the way. If you were going after a complete resto or show car I'd pull the engine, paint and detail everything....that's the trouble with old cars, just how far do you want to go lol.

VWEvo
01-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Any particular shops that are recommended?

shakalaka
01-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Screamin' Paintworks would be my guess knowing Beyond.

corsvette
01-23-2015, 02:21 PM
A few that I remember- SOS autobody, Contemporary coachworks, and some shop that's out of Nanton or Vulcan, can't remember the name, a friend of mine who's into classics said he's awesome. I've seen his work on a 64 Vette and it's impressive. I'll get the name for you.

Very few shops in Calgary the classic buffs recommend, many even ship theirs to the US to get body work done.

VWEvo
01-23-2015, 02:54 PM
A few that I remember- SOS autobody, Contemporary coachworks, and some shop that's out of Nanton or Vulcan, can't remember the name, a friend of mine who's into classics said he's awesome. I've seen his work on a 64 Vette and it's impressive. I'll get the name for you.

Very few shops in Calgary the classic buffs recommend, many even ship theirs to the US to get body work done.

Its interesting that you mentioned the States. I'm assuming there are awesome shops that will do interior and exterior. Where would I find the name of a few reputable shops in the US?

Graham_A_M
01-23-2015, 03:54 PM
I know a guy down in Kalispell Montana. He specializes in rods and muscle cars. It's called Rocky Mountain Rods and Customs. He's the guy I bought my '38 off of. He does wicked work. There is this absolute guru down in Denver Colorado, his business is called "the metal surgeon". http://www.themetalsurgeon.com/ lol they have a truck like mine on his home page. But check out all he does... it's just nuts really.
For interior work, Cascade Vans & interiors off of McKnight do excellent work as well

VWEvo
01-23-2015, 03:59 PM

Graham_A_M
01-23-2015, 04:14 PM
^ I have far far more contacts (a pile of business cards I've collected over the years).. but for some odd reason I can't find them on my phone. I'll try to update this later when I have the chance.:dunno:

Calgary sucks for places that do automotive restorations and the like, but elsewhere in Alberta there are a good handful of people.

Tik-Tok
01-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo
The body has very minor rust around the rear well wells but overall needs a respray.

There's no such thing as minor rust on a classic, lol.

Expect $10g for a respray only, double that (at a minimum) for rust repair, because there's always more than you think.

Also Heighton Restorations in Beiseker... although he has a two year waiting list, and is NOT CHEAP (but the quality is unparalleled)

beyond_ban
01-23-2015, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I know a guy down in Kalispell Montana. He specializes in rods and muscle cars. It's called Rocky Mountain Rods and Customs. He's the guy I bought my '38 off of. He does wicked work. There is this absolute guru down in Denver Colorado, his business is called "the metal surgeon". http://www.themetalsurgeon.com/ lol they have a truck like mine on his home page. But check out all he does... it's just nuts really.
For interior work, Cascade Vans & interiors off of McKnight do excellent work as well

Sorry to hijack, but my goodness, the work he did on the Porsche 356 is amazing.

corsvette
01-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

There's no such thing as minor rust on a classic, lol.

Expect $10g for a respray only, double that (at a minimum) for rust repair, because there's always more than you think.

Also Heighton Restorations in Beiseker... although he has a two year waiting list, and is NOT CHEAP (but the quality is unparalleled)

That's the guy, and yes, his work is amazing.

http://www.heightonrestorations.com/Projects.page

Graham_A_M
01-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Sorry to hijack, but my goodness, the work he did on the Porsche 356 is amazing.

Yeah, I follow all his projects, my god I wish I had his skill.
Just.
:eek:

EDIT: Aha, just found another one, I thought he was in Alberta, but alas Sask isn't too far.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=302614517