PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy. forester xt or legacy gt wagon

Fly Fishin'
01-23-2015, 03:13 PM
We are looking for a 04 body style forester xt or an 06 body style legacy/outback gt.

prefer
150000 km units
Color blue, red, black, or white
no leather
Trailer hitch would be a plus
Sunroof
not picky on transmission

thanks for looking

Fly Fishin'
01-23-2015, 03:19 PM
P.s. my wife poo poo'ed the idea of a blown motor project.
How are the jdm units? Half the km of a few grand less. Any odd parts that are hard to get?

troi.oi
01-23-2015, 03:23 PM
theres a clean one in edmonton but it has leather. and abit on high kms but looks to be really maintained and taken well care of.
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=45822.0

Fly Fishin'
01-23-2015, 03:36 PM
I was looking at that one but I hate rust! So that would have to be cheaper as I would have to get that fixed ASAP. What problems do the turbo motors have then they get into the 200k area? My brother in laws 98 is still doing fine other than the clutch swaps due to too much bwaaaaaaaa pishew! That's my blow off noise lol

G-ZUS
01-23-2015, 04:06 PM
9K for a 11 year old car with 200k and rust :nut:

Fly Fishin'
01-23-2015, 04:16 PM
That's the other problem. Some people's prices are out to lunch just due to the fact that there are only a hand full for sale. Some mid 90s units with 280000 for 1500 still!?!

Do the twin turbo legacy have major problems? There are a few on the B - pro website for a good price and low km.

Penguin_Racecar
01-24-2015, 09:59 AM
The twin turbo legacies are pretty fun to drive, but there are a couple of things you should keep in mind:

- your current insurance provider may not give you comprehensive coverage on RHD vehicles
- while the engine is relatively similar for a lot of subarus, the sequential twin turbo setup on these does not match anything north american market.
- Grade 4 GT-Bs go for stupid cheap at auction. If they're listed at 10k you can expect they are making some serious money on their sale. I looked at importing one myself and low km / nice condition ones at auction sell for $1-2k USD. You should be able to land one for 5k.

I ended up buying a 2006 Forester XT manual. They're a ton of fun to drive, especially with a Cobb stage 2 setup. Lots of torque for a light SUV.

You mention you hate rust. Subaru paint is not great. If you go look at a Forester make sure you go over the rear quarters with a fine tooth comb, especially right behind the rear doors.

I don't think the price on the one in Edmonton is out to lunch. Even at 208k you get a lot of car for your money, with good service history and goodies.

Tik-Tok
01-24-2015, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
That's the other problem. Some people's prices are out to lunch just due to the fact that there are only a hand full for sale.

Supply and demand :dunno: It's not out to lunch if people are paying that because there's so few for sale. If you can't get past that, I suggest you find a different car that isn't as rare.

Fly Fishin'
01-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Yah, it is the name of the game. I will either get a tt legacy or jdm forester for the price they are listed at and add a grand or two aside for parts. I just can't justify 10k for the never of km. But I guess I'm going to ask 2 grand for my subaru and see what I get.

Fly Fishin'
01-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Alison likes the forester better so now it's up to picking a model. Sti is my choice but if I can find a tommi k are they worth it?

freshprince1
01-26-2015, 11:03 AM
I've got an excellent condition pearl white 2005 Legacy GT Sedan at about 133K Kms, with some nice upgrades (Borla Hush dual exhaust, Stage 1 clutch, lightened flywheel...etc) that I'll likely be selling in the spring. It's been maturely owned and driven since new. Its a US car but was fully imported in 2006 and has been in Calgary the whole time (only 2 owners). I've got a new company car allowance kicking in in the spring so I'll be upgrading to something newer, otherwise I'd keep Beatrix forever. If you're still looking in a few months...we should talk.