PDA

View Full Version : UGH! Hot water tank >Problem with that drain valve

nonofyobiz
01-25-2015, 08:28 PM
I opened that little drain valve on my hot water tank to extract some hot water....because I was too lazy to go upstairs to the sink... and now the thing won't close properly and is constantly dripping! :banghead:

I have a bucket underneath it catching the water and that is draining into the floor drain for now lol

can I fix this myself or should I just call a plumber?

Also, I have problems with my cheapo humidifier, so much calcium and crap builds up on the thing and it ends up constantly leaking. The cement underneath is always wet, anyone else have an issue with this?

So annoying, i just closed the water valve that goes to the humidifier. What's going to happen if there is no humifdifier?

Tik-Tok
01-25-2015, 09:02 PM
Hook up a hose to the drain and let out a shitload out of water to clear the debris.

Something you should be doing a few times a year anyways just so this doesn't happen, lol.

jaeden
01-26-2015, 12:53 AM
Might be the debris from calcium buildup preventing the valve from closing properly. Draining it could help.

Also if the tank is old, might have to replace the actual valve or maybe just the o-ring if there is one. Depends on the type of valve you have.

My old house had a worn out nylon valve and it was impossible to fully close. Ended up replacing it with a brass one.

This video is the basic process, if it makes sense to you then you don't need a plumber.

kIL0D6unmAs

nonofyobiz
01-26-2015, 05:12 AM
Thanks guys. It's actually the pressure release valve so I'm gonna have to replace that.
Found a different video and it's pretty simple.

I'm a genius and ruined that copper down pipe so now I gotta make a new one of those :cry: