PDA

View Full Version : EB games!!! Wall of Shame!!

GingeRRRBeef
03-08-2004, 12:21 PM
An Electronics Boutique in Florida bought games stolen from a woman's home and wants to sell them back to her at twice the purchase price. OK, isn't it illegal to possess stolen property in the first place? I know I'd get my goods confiscated if they were stolen.

So now that the billion-dollar company has verified exactly what happened, Ren asked if they would give Michelle Doganis all her money back and replace the Playstation 2 -- which, it appears, they sold illegally.
Their response? They will sell it back to her for what they paid the thief. As for the Playstation, she's simply out of luck.

EB Games still insists it will not refund Michelle's money. If she wants her money back, the company said, she can go through the legal system and get restitution from the thief.

Article Here (http://www.abcactionnews.com/stories/2004/01/040129hallofshame.shtml)

Khyron
03-08-2004, 12:49 PM
Those fuckers - that's enough to make me not shop there.

Khyron

sputnik
03-08-2004, 12:58 PM
what a stupid woman... EB should not be held responsible... not to mention targetting and berating the $7/hr employee kids that work there... they dont exactly have the authority to give away their used games just because someone claims that the game on the shelf is their stolen goods... if the games were at some pawh shop this wouldnt have made the new... someone should tell her to stop spending money on video games and get some insurance instead... forced entry usually absolves you of paying a deductable.

meah... i will continue to shop there.

the xbox i bought from them died after 30 days and they replaced it for me over the counter and i didnt even get their extended warranty... had i bought it anywhere else i would have had to ship it to microsoft and wait 6 weeks.

Ferio_vti
03-08-2004, 01:30 PM
That's funny EB gave the kid cash for the PS2. Here they don't give you money, either money towards other stuff or a gift card with the amount they bought your used stuff.

Khyron
03-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
what a stupid woman... EB should not be held responsible... not to mention targetting and berating the $7/hr employee kids that work there... they dont exactly have the authority to give away their used games just because someone claims that the game on the shelf is their stolen goods... if the games were at some pawh shop this wouldnt have made the new... someone should tell her to stop spending money on video games and get some insurance instead... forced entry usually absolves you of paying a deductable.

meah... i will continue to shop there.

the xbox i bought from them died after 30 days and they replaced it for me over the counter and i didnt even get their extended warranty... had i bought it anywhere else i would have had to ship it to microsoft and wait 6 weeks.

If you take a nintendo or something to a Pawn shop or Cash Converters, they have to hold it for 15 days in case it was stolen. EB turned around and sold it immediately. Pawn shops are liable if they buy stolen items.

EB is responsible for not making a reasonable attempt to ensure the goods were not stolen. They are should be fined as well as returning her stuff. What's worse, is the thief KNEW they had no checks in place which means they've been slack for awhile.

Khyron

Akagi Redsuns
03-08-2004, 01:42 PM
At the very least EB should offer the stuff back at the same rate they paid for it, making 0 profit. They really sound greedy when they are trying to sell it back to her at the inflated regular price. This doesnt help in keeping good PR.

GingeRRRBeef
03-08-2004, 01:50 PM
The LEAST they can do is just give what the woman lost. The mere hundreds of dollars is worth next to nothing in a company like that and will be such good PR.

Imagine your feeling on EB if this had happened.

An Electronics Boutique in Florida has mistakenly bought games stolen from a woman's home and has sold some of them. The store manager offered to replace the woman's stolen property with brand new products. "It's unfortunate that things like this happen." said the manager during an interview, "We've decided to replace all of the stolen property that we bought in conjuction with a generous discount on anything she wishes to purchase."

// =============================================

Instead, now the company will likely be fined and they are likely to lose business at that location.

accordboi_02
03-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

If you take a nintendo or something to a Pawn shop or Cash Converters, they have to hold it for 15 days in case it was stolen. EB turned around and sold it immediately. Pawn shops are liable if they buy stolen items.

Is that FLA law or Ab law?
Don't forget that the US has a lot of different and strange laws; it could very well be alright for a company/pawn shop to turn around and sell goods as soon as they have procured them...

GingeRRRBeef
03-08-2004, 03:16 PM
It's FLA law, read the article

Khyron
03-08-2004, 03:27 PM
I don't know what the law is here, but Cash converters will normally hold PS2s and shit like that for at least a month before putting it out on the floor (or so I was told by several staff while nintendo hunting).

Khyron

bigboom
03-08-2004, 04:20 PM
i dunno i dont blame EB for this at all. im a customer of EB and have always been satisfied with them. heck even when i ordered the legend of zelda wind waker late and was past the promotional period to get the bonus ocarina and master quest disc then went head over heels to get me a copy. i think that lady is just out of luck...

also think about what would happen if everyone whose games got stolen and saw them at EB went back it would be chaos.

EG STyLeZ
03-08-2004, 04:36 PM
EB Games is responsible here. They didn't hold on to the items for the mandatory 15 days. They should have to return all the woman's games and buy her a playstation as well.