PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use ancestry.ca?

Mar
01-28-2015, 01:39 PM
Are there any alternatives I should look at? Do they have a lot of information on there?

I'd be interested in seeing some old marriage certificates for my grandparents or some other old documents I can give to my family as a Christmas gift. Maybe even some army documents from my grandfather.

It's $35 a month for the international version which works outside the USA and a single month is all I need, or possibly even just the 14 day free trial.

zipdoa
01-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Lots of google reviews that it's a pain to cancel and scammy-ish. Beware.

natty54
01-28-2015, 03:39 PM
what about this?

https://www.23andme.com/en-ca/

saw it on tv the other day

Canucks3322
01-28-2015, 07:42 PM
I'm interested in that dna test too I saw it in a Metro article....

tirebob
01-29-2015, 09:31 AM
My wife and her sister use Ancestry to research out their family history. The get together a couple times a year for a week or so (live in Canada and US) and when they do they sign for a month only. They are able to mine shit down way better and further than I expected, but it is quite a bit of detective work cross referencing and confirming info is accurate and reliable. If you are into this sort of thing there is a lot of info to be found...

Mar
01-29-2015, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
My wife and her sister use Ancestry to research out their family history. The get together a couple times a year for a week or so (live in Canada and US) and when they do they sign for a month only. They are able to mine shit down way better and further than I expected, but it is quite a bit of detective work cross referencing and confirming info is accurate and reliable. If you are into this sort of thing there is a lot of info to be found...
Does she find it easy to cancel after the month? Is it updated that often to do it a couple of times a year?

schurchill39
01-29-2015, 03:22 PM
The wife's uncle is really into genealogy. With the help of ancestry.com (and other sources) he was able to trace their family back to the 1600's and he surprised me with finding a whole bunch of information about my family back to when my blood line came over from Europe when America was being colonized.

Its actually pretty cool to see old documents like censuses, marriage and death certificates and even boarding basses for boats.

That being said I cannot comment on canceling it because he's had it for a few years and keeps up his membership.

J.M.
01-29-2015, 03:59 PM
I want to trace my family roots back haha seems pretty interesting.

GotRice?
01-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Does it work for asian people?

Ven
01-29-2015, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by GotRice?

No need. I completed the trace for you. Welcome.

http://www.giganticstatues.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Genghis-Khan.jpg

SmAcKpOo
01-29-2015, 08:42 PM
In before Arash claims its a mechanism for the Jews to keep track of us ZioAmericans.

DeeK
01-29-2015, 09:17 PM
Got a free month a while back. Went to my family, ZERO information. Only paying customers can upload information, and as such there was none available from mine.

My family: "fuck that shit"

J.M.
01-29-2015, 09:40 PM
Ya I tried the free membership awhile back, couldn't find much ahah

tirebob
01-29-2015, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Does she find it easy to cancel after the month? Is it updated that often to do it a couple of times a year? I just asked her and she says it is no problem. You just cancel... I think she has done it 4 or 5 times now over the last few years.

01RedDX
01-29-2015, 10:04 PM

msommers
01-30-2015, 12:12 AM
The number 16 million gets thrown around a lot

jwslam
01-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by GotRice?
You and I are cousins. As with every other Asian on beyond. End of story.

The only surprise finding I could see out of this is if I've been living a lie my whole life and I'm not actually Chinese.

mr2mike
01-30-2015, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
Got a free month a while back. Went to my family, ZERO information. Only paying customers can upload information, and as such there was none available from mine.

Cheapness runs deep... it's not your fault... it's in your DNA.

KO22
01-30-2015, 09:08 AM
^ LOL

ExtraSlow
01-30-2015, 09:21 AM
Since all asians look alike, I always assumed they were close relations. Like step-brothers or half-brothers or something.

They generally don't ride horses or wear sou'wester hats, so I don't think that statue has anything to do with it.

jwslam
01-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Since all asians look alike, I always assumed they were close relations. Like step-brothers or half-brothers or something.
Reason number 1 why I don't watch white movies: I have no clue wtf is going on because the same guy is both the protagonist and the antagonist. YES I think all white people look alike. And I remember in Social Studies, watching b/w history movies, totally zero clue wtf is giong on because I can't even tell them apart by hair color!

Mar
02-01-2015, 11:24 PM
I started entering my immediate family up to my grandparents, nothing really showed up, but once I entered a great grandparent, the flood gates opened. I got a hit that led to adding a couple of more relatives, then adding those spawned another 10 hits for more relatives and I was confirming relatives for an hour before I finally had to give up and decide to do the rest tomorrow. I've currently got another 121 matches I have to go through and I'm sure those are going to spawn another 1000 matches to go through. It's ridiculous, I got as far as the earli 1800s before I had to stop.

All I did was enter 1 set of great-grandparents and by the time I was done I had 4 great-grandparents and 4 great-great-grandparents. Plus an uncountable number of aunts, uncles, great uncles, siblings of every person in the tree. Most of it is census evaluations but a few were matches with other members' trees and the occasional photo of a relative or headstone.

I'd say this service is well worth it, I found out a lot of information over 1 weekend and I've got another 121 matches to sort through this week. By the time I'm done it's going to be huge.

mr2mike
02-01-2015, 11:33 PM
Crazy.
What do you need to come in with? Names, bday and location of birth or more?

Mar
02-01-2015, 11:54 PM
All it asks about each person is:
- first name, middle name
- last name (maiden for females)
- date of death, location of death

That's it, as it finds matches, it fills in the blanks for you.

theken
02-02-2015, 01:12 AM
What if you don't know that info? Just names

Mar
02-02-2015, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by theken
What if you don't know that info? Just names
All I did was type in a great-grandparent's name plus their kids' names and voila, it popped up with a couple of census matches from 1876. That filled in their residence address and some kids' names. That popped up more census matches from 1916 and 1921 which had more kids' names and some other information. Then it matched some trees from other members and that filled in more addresses, birth dates, death dates, cities of residence and it just exploded from there. So all you need is a couple of names and you're off. I'm still on the 2 week trial though they ask for your payment information in the hopes you forget to cancel. I'm honestly thinking at this point I might not cancel, it's a good service.

They also offer a book printing of the information in your tree, including printouts of the census data, birth certificates, photos and your overall tree structure. It would be an incredible Christmas gift for a family member. That's my hope.

* EDIT - Just to make sure I answered your question, you don't need all that information, a couple of names is good enough. If it finds a match with birth dates and addresses, it'll fill them in for you.

Mar
02-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Today I got:
- photo of a great aunt
- birth certificate for great-grandmother
- photo of grandfather's headstone
- photo of grand-uncle's headstone

Plus a bunch more tree matches. This is great.

btimbit
02-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Been using it lately because of this thread. Just found a picture of my recently deceased Great Grandmother, which led to lots of information on her husband who died before I was born and I knew nothing about. That opened up the floodgates.

thetransporter
02-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Is it just me that what ever users "search" for is submitted to the site as "historic" records?