PDA

View Full Version : Value of used BMW with accident history?

BMDUBS
01-30-2015, 11:38 AM
I am looking at a 2008 335i convertible on Kijiji with 67,000km white with red leather loaded. The owner is asking a premium of $26,888.00 and advertised the car as mint.

I asked for the VIN to get a carproof and she called me prior to explain that the car has had 3 claims on its history even though it was advertised as mint. It had an $8500.00 claim on the front, was rear ended for an unknown claim amount and also the drivers door and quarter panel was damaged and repaired at some point and I do not know the claim amount as I didn't end up pulling the carproof.

Having said that, the vast majority of the body panels are no longer original and original paint. With the low KM's and this accident history, what is this thing worth? How much value is lost from a used car when it has been involved in accidents and been repaired properly (Distinctive Collection did the body work)? Is it worth closer to wholesale on the used market?

killramos
01-30-2015, 11:42 AM
I would walk.

That's enough damage to enough key areas that i would be concerned about mechanical damage that may or not have been diagnosed.

For example drivers door and front quarter panel could have damaged wheels, joints steering. 8500 of front damage could have affected engine bay.

I wont touch a car that has potential drive train damage.

It doesn't even sound that cheap tbh. 2008 was SEVEN years ago.

I would say its work maybe 10-15 grand at this point. Just my opinion but time in the shop =money esp on a out of warranty car with known problems ( N54 motor etc) :dunno:

CapnCrunch
01-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Wow. For minor accidents I wouldn't even blink an eye (under $3-4000), but $8500 is a pretty good hit. And with the other unknown accidents, I'd just walk away.

BMDUBS
01-30-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks and agreed. She claims that the $8500.00 hit was all cosmetic (no mechanical or rad support damage) and with BMW active headlights I can believe it. She claims she has all the paperwork detailing the repairs from the claims as she is the original owner.

I also feel she is out to lunch with her price and in order for me to be even remotely interested it would have to be at the $20k> price point... $26,888.00 is top dollar for this car even if it had zero claims and be in actual mint condition in my view.

A2VR6
01-30-2015, 11:57 AM
My dad's 07 had less km's than that (around 30k km) and although it was a sedan it got traded in in the low 20's last year and the dealer was asking around the 26k mark (similar to the one your looking at) and that was a mint car that barely got driven and had no accidents.

I think that car is 9-10k too expensive

JustinMCS
01-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Just keep in mind that the convertibles always sell for a lot more than coupes and sedans of the same year.

Is this the one you are looking at?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-image.html?adId=1047774399&image=6&enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It's out of province, has that been done? Plates are from BC or Ontario it looks like.

It has CCC Navigation and 19" Wheels and a great colour combo. It's desirable, that's for sure. The navi is going to be clunky compared to CIC units that started to come out in 09+

Look at this one for the same price with less options and similar kms.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2008-bmw-335i-low-kms-convertible-coupe-twinturbo-235-bw/1029177202?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I think it's well priced. Go and look at the quality of work. Otherwise keep looking, and if you want a cheaper one, go for a coupe or sedan. The converts are always more $$$

BMDUBS
01-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Yes this is the car I am looking at. It has the OPP done so that's all good. I'm walking on the white one as she even said that I better keep in mind the car will be dirty and that she only hand washes the car and doesn't go through touchless lol

As for the other car, I cant stand the grey interior so that is a deal breaker...

Thales of Miletus
01-30-2015, 10:00 PM
imo, BMW hides defects and doesn't do right by their customers. I would never buy one.

ToXicXxX
01-31-2015, 12:46 AM
26k for a 2008? Keep on lookin man. I let my 2007 go for sub 20k. And it was pretty clean.

Also you DO NOT want CCC. At all costs get a car without iDrive, or get a CIC. CCC is super slow and frustrating (as someone who deals with a ton of Bimmers ever day). CIC is well polished, and can be upgraded to NBT if you want (for some reason?).

CanmoreOrLess
01-31-2015, 12:55 AM
How comfortable are you (and potential buyers) going to be when you are reselling the car in the future? On the upside, you still have one side accident free, or so they claim. Run, don't walk from this BMW.

beyond_ban
01-31-2015, 01:27 AM
I ended up selling my 09 E90 Msport with just over 70 on the clock for 21.5 last fall. Not 100% comparable, but this E93 you are looking at is wayyyy over priced.

ddduke
01-31-2015, 01:36 AM
I would never pay that much for a car with that type of history but what I think most of these guys are missing is the fact that it's a vert that's white on red. That adds a ton of value, it's not just your typical grey/black 335 sedan.

Rocket1k78
01-31-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by BMDUBS
Yes this is the car I am looking at. It has the OPP done so that's all good. I'm walking on the white one as she even said that I better keep in mind the car will be dirty and that she only hand washes the car and doesn't go through touchless lol

So she lets her car sit covered in dirt and salt until its warm enough for a hand wash? Can almost guarantee shes hiding shitty body work.

Anything with an accident will just make it harder for you to sell so unless you're getting a smoking deal its not worth it

shakalaka
01-31-2015, 12:57 PM
The collision is nothing to be honest. Especially at 8K that's not a big deal at all. It's the fact that she didn't advertise with it and only when you asked she mentioned that makes me question it a little bit. For perspective, my 350Z had a collision and required a new front bumper, headlight, fender and the damage was almost around 10K. Similarly, the AMG had somewhat of the same damage and absolutely nothing mechanical and it was around 28K to fix it. These cars add up real fast as far as repair costs are concerned. I would worry about if it was repaired properly, and if it has caused any issues since then.

Can't comment on the value of the car otherwise, but doesn't seem like a 'good' deal by any means.

dirtsniffer
01-31-2015, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't say its over priced. an e93 was about 15k more than an e90 when it was new. Shit if I remember correctly a loaded vert was almost as expensive as a m3 sedan.

8 Grand is hardly more than a Fender Bender. Especially if it was repaired at the dealer with oem parts. I would bet bumper, fender, headlight. All you need is light impacts to the corner to damage those components. Dealer would rather replace than repair the panels so 8k is easy.

Traffic_Cop
02-01-2015, 03:38 PM
My M5 was side swiped last year. New door panels, front fender, mirrors etc. Looked minor but was a $17,500 claim. Now i know how minor it was, but when i go to sell it, people will run because of the size of the claim.

The car you are looking at is def over priced. Shop around.

Blue
02-02-2015, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
My M5 was side swiped last year. New door panels, front fender, mirrors etc. Looked minor but was a $17,500 claim. Now i know how minor it was, but when i go to sell it, people will run because of the size of the claim.

The car you are looking at is def over priced. Shop around.

happen to my M3 also.
Rear fender + rims = almost 10k dmg.

JustinMCS
02-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
I would never pay that much for a car with that type of history but what I think most of these guys are missing is the fact that it's a vert that's white on red. That adds a ton of value, it's not just your typical grey/black 335 sedan.

exactly. verts are much more than e90/91/92. you pay a premium for it.

jaylo
02-10-2015, 11:21 AM
$8,000 on a BMW E93 repaired at Distinctive Collection is nothing.

Headlights are around $2K each
Bumper cover and support probably around $3K
Labour and materials

killramos
02-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
$8,000 on a BMW E93 repaired at Distinctive Collection is nothing.

Headlights are around $2K each
Bumper cover and support probably around $3K
Labour and materials

And i still maintain that a collision that shatters both headlights and destroys a bumper isn't necessarily minor :dunno:

Based on this thread alone ~80% of people wont even consider this car. That means the value is depreciated significantly. Regardless of whether this is something actually wrong with it.

The car is therefore overpriced, a perfectly restored, but rebuilt, car IS worth less than one that is perfect, but not rebuilt.

:dunno:

Tik-Tok
02-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by killramos

And i still maintain that a collision that shatters both headlights and destroys a bumper isn't necessarily minor :dunno:

Could still be pretty minor. My Audi had $6g in damage and it was pretty minimal damage. A pepsi truck brushed against the front bumper while my car was parked.

The bumper absorbers weren't even pushed in. One headlight had to be replaced only because a plastic hold down clip was broken. $1500 right there.

shakalaka
02-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Unless the car gets a rebuilt status officially, it's not rebuilt. The title will show active, unless it has actually been classified as rebuilt.

killramos
02-10-2015, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Unless the car gets a rebuilt status officially, it's not rebuilt. The title will show active, unless it has actually been classified as rebuilt.

My use of the word rebuilt was poorly chosen. All that i meant by it was significant repairs.

Rocket1k78
02-10-2015, 02:02 PM
8k might not be much to a guy who understands the cost of body work but most people always undervalue repair costs. Ask your friends or family members what it cost to properly repaint a hood and i'll bet most will say under $500 lol

BavarianBeast
02-10-2015, 02:16 PM
$9k on a e9x is easy to rack up in cosmetic damage, specially if it's an insurance claim.