PDA

View Full Version : To small claims or not to small claims?

gretz
02-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Backstory, one of my "buddies" "lost" his job and wife was 9 months, blah blah blah, had no money for rent... Being the nice (fuckin stupid) guy I am, I lent them around $1380 to pay rent, fix his truck, I even gave him a brand new pair of ironworkers / goggles to start his "new" job.

Anyhow, he won't return my texts / calls, left his girl / 2 month old, and is constantly posting pics of his "new tires", "new rims", partying, etc... I'm pretty close to wanting to let the fluids out of his truck at night, but I feel that will slow my process down lol...

What would you guys recommend? I have lots of texts of him admitting he is a douche and owes me the money / "im going to stop by with money" followed by no shows / apologies, etc

ExtraSlow
02-03-2015, 12:36 PM
Cut your losses, and stop worrying about this. You'll spend more than you are owed to try and recover this.

Also, I'd lose the dudes number and unfreind him on facebook. He's not a solid guy, why would you want to talk to him?

lasimmon
02-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Cut your losses, and stop worrying about this. You'll spend more than you are owed to try and recover this.

Also, I'd lose the dudes number and unfreind him on facebook. He's not a solid guy, why would you want to talk to him?

+1

max_boost
02-03-2015, 12:41 PM
Yea man it could always be worse. Consider it a charitable action and move on. The way I look at it, if he wanted to pay you he would have. Whatever makes you feel better man, if you want to confront him online or in person then go do it. :dunno:

JRSC00LUDE
02-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Personally, I'd cut all ties and write it off.

A meltdown is one thing, it happens, but it doesn't always last. If it passes, great. Personally I'd also likely cause 5 times that much expense to occur to him a few months down the road if he hasn't taken responsibility for his actions and his family by that point. I can't help it, call it a character flaw or just call me an idiot but I'm the first one to extend exceeding tolerance to people. To a point. That point varies with the situation but I will also be completely forgiving when appropriate actions are taken by people. Conversely, I'm also the last one to forget when they aren't.

Masked Bandit
02-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Wash your hands of his filth and consider the money lost as tuition in the school of life. Nobody ever said education was cheap.

G-ZUS
02-03-2015, 12:53 PM
I'd go small claims, once you win just hand the file over to a Bailiff and watch him recover the guys stuff. If small claims doesn't pan out then cause 5 times that much expense to occur to him a few months down the road

gretz
02-03-2015, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
why would you want to talk to him?

More or less to just get in touch to see when I can expect shit > not to have a friendly chat lol...

Fair enough boys, good info

JRS, +1 for myself as well

botox
02-03-2015, 01:04 PM
I thought small claims court just costed a couple hundred bucks to send in the application, then you wait a few months to get a court date :dunno: If you have a solid case with a contract or emails or texts proving he owed you the money then it might be worthwhile. And yeah, ditch this looser as a friend and move on regardless of what you decide to do and hopefully karma will work it's magic in the long run.

suntan
02-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Try banging the wife first.

DeleriousZ
02-03-2015, 01:08 PM
$1400 is a reasonable price to get a scumbag out of your life for good. Not cheap, but good value for the money I'd say.

blairtruck
02-03-2015, 01:09 PM
let it go. for a few months. then retaliation when he doesn't expect you. new tires will be flat tires
lol

GQBalla
02-03-2015, 01:16 PM
I would go get the money but that's just me actually. You guys that are willing to let go of 1300, we should be friends :D

codetrap
02-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Go and take those new rims off his truck until he pays up?

lilmira
02-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Call the A-team?

What do you have to go to small claims? It'll probably cost you a big portion if not more to go that route. The court system doesn't compensate your expense very well from my experience even if you do win. You'll likely be doing it to teach him a lesson with very little to gain.

gretz
02-03-2015, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
Go and take those new rims off his truck until he pays up?

Is that not theft? Come on codetrap, is it a trap? lol
I could go to his house in that case and grab all his snowboard gear, Hero 4, nitro trucks, bmx bike, etc... His wife said i'm more than happy to grab it, but part of me feels it could backfire.

Bang his wife? No, I got one of them already, 2 would be too much lol

revelations
02-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Even if I was a student, the time, paperwork and effort to get the 1300$ back from an obvious loser is not worth any of it.

In a perfect scenario where he actually had money to pay back and you wont the court case with rock-solid proof of the transaction - it would still be 5 years before anything happened.

triplep
02-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Does he have any good stuff? If the Wife is letting you take it, I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as it is to pay off the debt.

I am sure she is in a shitty situation, but couldn't she just pay back the money and then have a +1 when she sues him for child support etc?

jwslam
02-03-2015, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by lilmira
Call the A-team?
You mean the B team? As in Beyond CSI ...errr... beyond mafia?

icky2unk
02-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Been in the situation.

Just said it was $1,000 to learn a lesson. Never again lol

CompletelyNumb
02-03-2015, 02:08 PM
Wife has a "yard sale". You buy all his stuff for $20.

Or write it off and walk away.

gretz
02-03-2015, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by triplep
Does he have any good stuff? If the Wife is letting you take it, I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as it is to pay off the debt.

I am sure she is in a shitty situation, but couldn't she just pay back the money and then have a +1 when she sues him for child support etc?

He does have some decent stuff, I was informed it was theft if he went to the cop shop and said I stole his shit, because technically it kind of is

icky2unk
02-03-2015, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by gretz

He does have some decent stuff, I was informed it was theft if he went to the cop shop and said I stole his shit, because technically it kind of is

If his wife is giving you consent then it isn't theft.

Feruk
02-03-2015, 02:42 PM
I'd definitely post his name...

gretz
02-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Not his real wife, sorry, baby's momma

His name is pending to be posted lol... unless you have something up your sleeve lol

btimbit
02-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Take up his ex's offer, take $1380 worth of his stuff and say he sold it to you. If he contacts you about it tell him he can buy it back

That or chalk it up to lesson learned, don't lend friends money, it rarely works out.

Xtrema
02-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
You guys that are willing to let go of 1300, we should be friends :D

People who said let it go also won't give you the money in the 1st place.

Originally posted by btimbit
That or chalk it up to lesson learned, don't lend friends money, it rarely works out.

This

G-ZUS
02-03-2015, 02:57 PM

:werd: Lent a buddy $2500, wasn't expecting it back but he paid it back.

Lend another "buddy" $300, he'd paid it back incrementally then fell out of touch, still owes $100 :nut:

gretz
02-03-2015, 03:29 PM

Ya, i'm always cautious as I've had things go sideways helping people in the past... im just a softy to situations sometimes

I left a nice post on his facebook that got some good exposure and led to him closing his FB account > he just shot me a text saying he will get me my money, blah blah blah, i told him to stay the fuck away unless he has money for me, other than that, don't show your face around...

~sigh of closure lol

fourrings
02-03-2015, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Try banging the wife first.

I'm sure the wife needs someone the generous & responsible, even if its a booty call, after that happens I'm sure he will get in contact with you.

gretz
02-03-2015, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by fourrings

I'm sure the wife needs someone the generous & responsible, even if its a booty call, after that happens I'm sure he will get in contact with you.

Never go full retard

Thanks for the advice Beyond

HiTempguy1
02-03-2015, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by gretz

Is that not theft?

Prove it.

Not that I recommend theft, but even with a serial number, the cops told me to pound sand after my.$900 fia race seat was stolen.

BandW
02-03-2015, 06:01 PM
Drain the pan.

Sugarphreak
02-03-2015, 06:19 PM

nobb
02-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Winning a court case may be the easy part, collecting and serving notice can be the difficult part. You will have to serve notice of the court hearing, and then serve another notice once you get the order from the judge and need to turn it into a judgement (that can be executed on). And if the guy disappears and tries to avoid service, you have to go back to the courthouse and ask for substituted service. Remember, the courts only judge...they do NOT help you with enforcing a judgement...you have to do that on your own.

If you know where he works and banks, I say go for it. Seizing wages and bank accounts is easy...other assets like vehicles are not. Also if you go with a collection company, they often take 30-50% of the cut.

MrSector9
02-03-2015, 09:43 PM
would be a real pity in a couple months if his drain plug fell out.

JRSC00LUDE
02-04-2015, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

People who said let it go also won't give you the money in the 1st place.

This

That's not true. I'm out 5 grand to a guy for over 3 years now, I wrote it off and let it go quite awhile ago. The only reason I didn't go ballistic on his ass is because I KNOW he's been working very hard at paying more serious debts (Rev. Canada and such), his life fell apart. I actually still believe him that when he can pay he will but, I'm not holding my breath. If/when I get it, right into my boys savings, it'll be a little windfall for him now.

Type_S1
02-04-2015, 07:46 AM
Head to forest lawn and slip 320 pound "Bubba" a few hundred bucks to go collect...

JRSC00LUDE
02-04-2015, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Type_S1
Head to forest lawn and slip 320 pound "Bubba" a few hundred bucks to go collect...

:rofl: Reminds me of a story,

A guy fitting that description walked up to my buddy while he was taking a selfie somewhere in New York and said "I'll take your picture for $20.", my friend said no thanks and the guy moved right within inches of him and said "I said I'll take your picture for $20".

He gave him $20 hahaha

se7en
02-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Never lend money to people you can't easily smash. Oh, and never lend money to people. They need it because they are stupid with money.

Cos
02-04-2015, 09:47 PM

Thales of Miletus
02-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Baseball bat to the knees.

gx12
02-05-2015, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Bingo... take it as a life lesson

I ran into the same issue about 13 years ago now.. deadbeat friend who vanishes off the face of the earth the second I put a loan of 500$ in his hands to help with some financial hardship he was going through.

It was only last year I heard he was horribly addicted to cocaine, had some sort of mental processing issue of not being able to keep inappropriate comments to himself, and had just fucked over his roommate for thousands. His life sounds like a fucked up mess and he is a waste of skin. He at least got what he deserved.

Glad to get rid of him from my life early on, easily worth the cost looking back.

similar case 13 years back lol. I helped a good friend at that time to rent a car using my credit card because he got no credit card due to his credit problems, long story short, car came back with few damage claims, then later he gave me a nsf cheque and not a word after. 1035$ for my life lesson, and he's very forgetful too, few years later he tried to friend me on facebook. :nut:

dexlargo
02-05-2015, 01:13 PM
I say keep hassling him - it doesn't cost you anything and you might get paid. That said, don't get so invested in it that it makes you a bitter, angry person. Just send him a reminder every month or few months that he owes you money and you would still like it back. Part payments always accepted.

A790
02-05-2015, 01:16 PM
I'd take him to court over $1,400. Sure, it's a life lesson, but it's one that he needs to learn as well. Why should you be the only one paying to learn a lesson?

Then again, I'm a vindictive motherfucker.

busdepot
02-05-2015, 01:33 PM
I had a buddy like that in high school and uni. I would always be spotting him for things like gas money or meals or any of that kind of stuff. There was always the "Dude, I'll pay you back" or the "Man, I know you have money" or best yet was "Bro, your parents will pay for it". Needless to say it never went the other way. That money will never be seen again. Life lesson, move on.

Edit: +1 for banging wife if hot, +0.5 if not hot.