PDA

View Full Version : Where to get rid of a old couch?

pheoxs
02-05-2015, 05:14 PM
I have a new sectional coming Sunday, going to get rid of the old couch. It's not really worth selling / giving away as the one side's recliner and rocker part broke and is gradually falling apart.

Can I just load it and take it to the dump or somewhere to recycle it? Is there fees or is it like recyclables that you can just drop off?

Thanks

lasimmon
02-05-2015, 05:14 PM
Just put it on Kijiji "For free, pick up only"

No matter how terrible anything I have had, someone will show up for it.

eglove
02-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Definitely put it up for free on kijiji

JAYMEZ
02-05-2015, 05:26 PM
Cheap as hell to just dump it at the dump.

E46..sTyLez
02-05-2015, 05:30 PM
Yea it will cost you like $15 at the dump. It's a flat rate until you get over a certain weight, and your couch will be under. :thumbsup:

Thaco
02-05-2015, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Cheap as hell to just dump it at the dump. not anymore, minimum charge now is $20

better to just put it on your driveway and put it on kijiji, will likely be gone in an hour.

msommers
02-05-2015, 05:36 PM
Women in Need might take it if it's in good condition.

Free on kijiji is pretty fail-proof though entertaining the people who show up. Basically say if you pick up and carry it out it's yours :D

schocker
02-05-2015, 06:22 PM
I have seen on the 311 app that you can just dump it in the NE?

:rofl:

BandW
02-05-2015, 06:47 PM
You can drop it off at my place. PM me

95EagleAWD
02-05-2015, 08:02 PM
When I moved, I just found a dumpster by my old high school and fired it in there.

Canucks3322
02-06-2015, 12:15 AM
Uh aren't you a cop? That is totally illegal no?

M.alex
02-06-2015, 01:17 AM
Leave it at some City recycling bins like they have outside home depot.

D'z Nutz
02-06-2015, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Meh, it's part of the risk of the job.

What else is on?

Canucks3322
02-06-2015, 07:30 AM
Haha

Not only illegal dumping it's incredibly rude and disrespectful.

mr2mike
02-06-2015, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Thaco
not anymore, minimum charge now is $20

Yep, they gotta pay for the nice new digs they've got. Then again, if you ever want to feel like society wastes everything, hit the dump one day. The volume of stuff is crazy.

Thaco
02-06-2015, 08:45 AM
Haha

Not only illegal dumping it's incredibly rude and disrespectful. and part of the reason my condo fees keep increasing :guns:

FixedGear
02-06-2015, 08:47 AM

Haha

:rofl: haha, I hear ya! but i guess cops are just normal people like the rest of us (i've certainly done my fair share of stupid ass shit before)

nzwasp
02-06-2015, 09:39 AM
Theres a group called Calgary Freecycle on facebook which will take almost anything.

heavyfuel
02-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Haha

Hey I benefit from illegal dumpers lol

But I'd still like to catch one in the act and watch him/her get a huge fine lol

topsecret
02-06-2015, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD
When I moved, I just found a dumpster by my old high school and fired it in there.

I've had to put locks on my dumpsters at work thanks to ppl like you :thumbsdow

FraserB
02-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by topsecret

I've had to put locks on my dumpsters at work thanks to ppl like you :thumbsdow

And I now have to carry bolt cutters thanks to people like you.

89s1
02-06-2015, 01:00 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

I'd say you're probably alright to just drive to erinwoods/dover and leave it in a back lane, it might even match the other pieces already out there and make a set.

Adrenaline101
02-06-2015, 06:39 PM
drive down 100th st or garden road in the far east. I swear I see a couch or some appliance there every few weeks :banghead:

Khyron
02-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
Theres a group called Calgary Freecycle on facebook which will take almost anything.

https://groups.freecycle.org/group/Calgary/posts/all

It works pretty well.

egmilano
02-06-2015, 07:13 PM
kijiji

revelations
02-06-2015, 07:23 PM
Kijiji - MAKE SURE TO POST A PICTURE, I've had everything from old batteries and old shocks/struts picked up for free.

I hardly throw out anything large anymore - just post it and leave it outside! (covered if snowing)

pheoxs
02-06-2015, 11:07 PM
Posted it up for free this afternoon and someone came and grabbed it an hour later. Guess people do want stuff that is almost junk :dunno: oh well saves me the hassle of trying to dispose of it.

Thaco
02-07-2015, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by pheoxs
Posted it up for free this afternoon and someone came and grabbed it an hour later. Guess people do want stuff that is almost junk :dunno: oh well saves me the hassle of trying to dispose of it. :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
02-07-2015, 08:26 AM
People LOVE free shit. I've given away a lot of pretty weak crap on kijiji.

Thaco
02-07-2015, 08:44 AM
there are a lot of people out there in the situation of, "anything's better than nothing"

speedog
02-07-2015, 09:44 AM
Sometimes it's not a case of loving free shit or "anything's better than nothing". A number of years ago, the kids wanted an old fashioned in the ground brick fire pit in the backyard - I researched how much the materials would've cost me and then did a quick search on Kijiji and Beyond to see if anyone had the required materials they were looking to sell at a decent price.

Happened upon a Beyond member who was just giving away what I needed - I made contact, drove to their place, left with the materials I needed in exchange for a case of beer for them. The time I expended was probably less than going to Home Depot or such plus I got a better deal and in the end, I re-purposed some materials that have been enjoyed an untold number of times by my family and friends. Another plus, the Beyond member got a free case of beer that probably tasted quite good after all the yard clean-up they were doing.

Could I have afforded to buy new materials - sure I could've but when it's just a brick in-ground fire pit made of materials that will last almost forever, why not take advantage of a deal that someone's offering up? Same could be said of many things - who knows why someone took away pheoxs' free furniture? Could've been a wood worker who was after the hardwood that can often be found in the framework of some furniture, could have been some one down on their luck, could've been an artist who will dis-assemble that furniture and turn it into something quite different. People shouldn't be so quick to judge.

heavyfuel
02-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by speedog
They don't need a diesel or a 4X4 or a crew cab or even a truck

Originally posted by speedog
People shouldn't be so quick to judge.

is that right eh?

Maybe some homeless drug addicts are now enjoying shooting up on that couch behind a bottle depot somewhere lol

speedog
02-07-2015, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by heavyfuel
is that right eh?

Maybe some homeless drug addicts are now enjoying shooting up on that couch behind a bottle depot somewhere lol
You're a bit out of your element here, hf - I can judge the person who brought the diesel 4x4 crew cab truck into my household because he is my son (adopted sort of) who happens to live under my roof, eat the food and wipe his ass with the toilet paper I buy. I know him on a much more intimate level than anyone else on Beyond besides my one of my other sons - he doesn't "need" a 4X4 or a truck or a crew cab and I can judge that because I know him and what he is/does so well.

On the other side of the fence, it would be folly to judge someone I don't know who might come by to pick-up a free couch I'm giving away on Kijiji. Hell, my back door neighbor thinks nothing of picking up free firewood that people leave in alleys - people might think he's cheap or whatever because of it but he has a wonderful family of 5 that's doing quite well. My one uncle, who is 65, dresses almost like a bum, could probably pass for a homeless person if you saw him and yet he has paid cash for everything he owns - every vehicle he's bought, his speed boat, his RV trailer, his home here in Calgary, all paid for in cash. And yet he'll buy used clothes at garage sales - nicest guy in the world and is probably worth more than most here on Beyond. Now I can judge him because I know him personally but most others who don't know him would be much amiss in how they would judge him as he came to their garage sale.

See the difference?