PDA

View Full Version : snowboard lessons

DontBannMe
02-10-2015, 08:38 AM
I'm looking for recommendations for snowboard lessons.

Anyone know someone who is certificated and would like to teach?

Thanks

avishal26
02-10-2015, 09:44 AM
I found COP lessons to be pretty well priced and they had good instructors when I did their training in 2008. I think it was $150 for a 2 hour lesson (maybe 3 hour) with equipment rental included for half-day

wintonyk
02-10-2015, 07:53 PM
best bang for your buck is probably cop. i think most places require casi level 1 and level 2 before they will hire them, so you should be set for an decent instructor either way.

if you head up to sunshine ask for John, he is an outstanding instructor (just helped a friend last weekend).

jacky4566
02-10-2015, 08:09 PM
If its your first day go to COP (winsport whatever...) and learn some basic skills. no need to waste time driving out to the big hills if you dont know anything. Then day 2 or 3 go wherever you want.

avishal26
02-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
If its your first day go to COP (winsport whatever...) and learn some basic skills. no need to waste time driving out to the big hills if you dont know anything. Then day 2 or 3 go wherever you want.

:werd:

Kobe
02-13-2015, 01:02 PM
I've taught a lot of my friends at COP for a few hours before heading out to the mountains.

You need to learn to stand up on a snowboard, and just walk around with your foot in 1 binding first. If you don't have any friends snowboarding I'd recommend renting a snowboard/boots/bindings for a day @ cop and trying to do the basics (Can be found on youtube) and than get an instructor.

A big thing with snowboarding is if you don't learn how to snowboard properly at first it will be more difficult at first (Carving) so an instructor is very important. It is not something you will master in a day or two and takes a lot of practice.

But ya don't waste your time going to other hills when you can go to C.O.P and ride the bunny hill for free (I think they don't check, they never checked me)

mdeleon
02-13-2015, 01:24 PM
^^^lol never realized that, but it's true. They don't check unless you're in line for the chair lift. And even so, they seldom check then too, unless it's busy.

mr2mike
02-13-2015, 01:56 PM
If I did it over again I'd do it this way:

Youtube it, take notes.
Rent or borrow stuff, try it out at COP or even on an open hill in Calgary (no trees).
Expect to get very frustrated and sore from falling. Relax, it happens to everyone.

Once you can sort of get it, take a lesson.

mazdavirgin
02-13-2015, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by mdeleon
^^^lol never realized that, but it's true. They don't check unless you're in line for the chair lift. And even so, they seldom check then too, unless it's busy.

Yeah they might not check but IMHO it's a giant dick move on your part. COP is a non profit that puts their earnings back into the facilities and into training Canada's Olympic athletes. So stealing revenue from them is really tragic just like not buying a national park pass when in Banff. Tragedy of the commons...

Env-Consultant
02-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
If I did it over again I'd do it this way:

Youtube it, take notes.
Rent or borrow stuff, try it out at COP or even on an open hill in Calgary (no trees).
Expect to get very frustrated and sore from falling. Relax, it happens to everyone.

Once you can sort of get it, take a lesson.

This, but without the lesson if you end up catching on quickly. I went to the mountains 6 years ago multiple times and basically beat the shit out pf my body day after day after day until I figured things out. I would say the biggest danger is catching an edge, which results in a face plant forwards or a head plant backwards. Friends and Youtube were great resources - after about 4 trips I was able to rip down the hill, hit small jumps, and eave in/out of trees. Much more enjoyable than skiing IMO.

Best of luck to you! Biggest thing is not giving up after the first few times - it'll feel like you'll never get it at first, but believe me, you will.

mazdavirgin
02-14-2015, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Env-Consultant
This, but without the lesson if you end up catching on quickly.

Lessons should not be underestimated though. Just based on how many people you see on the hills with bad carves/mad back foot ruddering. All those people need to get lessons. Having your friends teach you is fine if they don't suck but how will know if they suck or not if you are new yourself? Also keep in mind even if someone has been snowboarding for a long time it doesn't mean they don't suck or have bad technique... Some people just never "get" it or put the time into learning to do stuff properly.

Breaking bad habits is a lot harder than simply learning properly the first time around. I would say ~70% of folks who snowboard in the mountains have some form of bad carving technique...

wintonyk
02-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

Lessons should not be underestimated though. Just based on how many people you see on the hills with bad carves/mad back foot ruddering. All those people need to get lessons. Having your friends teach you is fine if they don't suck but how will know if they suck or not if you are new yourself? Also keep in mind even if someone has been snowboarding for a long time it doesn't mean they don't suck or have bad technique... Some people just never "get" it or put the time into learning to do stuff properly.

Breaking bad habits is a lot harder than simply learning properly the first time around. I would say ~70% of folks who snowboard in the mountains have some form of bad carving technique...

i agree with mazda version. So many friends teach friends and they suck at teaching. Even if you know how to ride and are a good rider, you need to know how to break it down and teach the real basics (this is very hard to do). So many just bring a friend to the top the hill and send em on the way.

I think the % of poor technique is probably higher, I spot so many people with no fluidity in their turns and counter rotating to swing the board around. Very few people actually know and understand the mechanics of the turning edge and how to manage pressure and pivoting. A 2 hour lesson will put you leaps and bounds ahead of self direction. And if anyone is too cheap to pay for a lesson, then sad news the sport is not for you, it's an expensive sport.

A good video of what a first lesson would be like is here:
Jjv9HIDvNVE