PDA

View Full Version : Ethiopian Restaurants.

cancer man
02-12-2015, 09:51 PM
My son turns 20 next Friday and he would like to try Ethiopian Cuisine.
Anybody try any of the following?
Fassil Restaurant.
Marathon.
Blue nile.
They all have good reviews.
But i trust you foody people better.

dannie
02-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Fassil is my favourite. Service sucks at every one I've been to, but the food was great.

We asked them to pick out the dishes and they were great about picking different things.

Maxx Mazda
02-13-2015, 12:32 AM
Marathon in Kensington. Most authentic and most delicious (used to work with about 25 Ethiopians).

Look no further.

msommers
02-13-2015, 01:41 AM
Heard great things about Fassil but haven't ventured over yet. I really like Blue Nile but since they've been under renos for awhile now I'm not sure if or when they're opening. Marathon has never disappointed me but Blue Nile always seemed the same and was cheaper.

rob the knob
02-13-2015, 07:15 AM
what is authentic ethipia food? i have never been

ExtraSlow
02-13-2015, 07:40 AM
I've been to Marathon a few times, always for a special occasion, enjoyed the food and had a pleasant evening both times. Haven't been to the others.

VWEvo
02-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Marathon is good, and the service is pretty awesome. It does take time, so don't go their super hungry expecting food to come out quickly. It takes time, but well worth the wait.

89s1
02-13-2015, 04:20 PM
I go often, last two times I went was blue nile, time before that was marathon. good food, not the biggest portions so get more than you'd think for a hungry group. takes forever for it to come out, even with a group there chatting and shooting the breeze it feels slow.

Fassil and IBEX are both on 17th and I've been to both as well. Although it's not on your list I preferred IBEX to Fassil, and iirc they are only a few blocks from each other.

Every time I've been to one the food service has been extremely slow, this stuff isn't scoop and serve, some person(s) in the back actually make it all, so don't show up starving.

ee2k
02-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
Marathon in Kensington. Most authentic and most delicious (used to work with about 25 Ethiopians).

Look no further.

If you thought that Marathon was most authentic, you do not know Ethiopian food. Trust me. If you tell me that you're Ethiopian, I will start to judge you. I really will.

For authentic food, you'll have to look to 17 Ave SE in Forrest Lawn where the most authentic restaurants are.

All Ethiopian restaurants are slow service wise. You never go when starving. Also, I recommend you always order total number of people + 1 dish for the group (4 people = 5 dishes.) You will eat off of a tray.

Fassil: consistent, pleasant setting wise, most friendly and comfortable for non Ethiopians. If you like the injera, ask for extra when your food arrives, for you may not be able to get a hold of the server afterwards

Ibex: most authentic, somewhat dingy, suspect smell at times. Great food.

There are a few other establishments in the same neighborhood that I have yet to try.

Marathon and Blue Nile have been around forever and have created a niche for western folk in a most comfortable and hip neighborhood setting. Blue Nile's service and food, when I went in, was the worst. Marathon took forever to arrive, and the food was not all that either.

theken
02-13-2015, 06:22 PM
I've got some dirt and twigs in my garden, I'm sure I can get a couple flies and a chair or two.

VWEvo
02-13-2015, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by theken
I've got some dirt and twigs in my garden, I'm sure I can get a couple flies and a chair or two.

I dont get it?? :confused:

msommers
02-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by VWEvo

I dont get it?? :confused:

Malnutrition, apparently it's hilarious.

theken
02-13-2015, 07:57 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/03/03/article-1255160-088CC590000005DC-192_468x444.jpg Just does not seem to be the people that make awesome choices in food.

Weapon_R
02-13-2015, 08:54 PM
I don't think it's much a choice but like all poor countries, that photo isn't a representation of the whole country. Fassil gets my vote!

cancer man
02-15-2015, 05:32 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/03/03/article-1255160-088CC590000005DC-192_468x444.jpg Just does not seem to be the people that make awesome choices in food.

My guess is you don't travel much. I asked for advice and this is what i get. Do you live under a bridge by chance?

Anyways Fassil is his choice.

dannie
02-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Yay!!! Have a great time. Like I said, don't expect great service or for the food to come out quick. If you need more injera, ask - otherwise you won't get more.

CanmoreOrLess
02-15-2015, 04:25 PM

You have to be one of those guys who wonders why they are always getting sucker punched? Everyone knows one.

FixedGear
02-15-2015, 05:35 PM

Wow, you're an ignorant fool.

01RedDX
02-15-2015, 05:53 PM

trevh
02-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Dude, WTF!? Ever heard of Chinese food? Ukrainian food? Indian food? Mexican food?

All come from countries that have experienced extreme famine and mass starvation at some point in their history.

The guy drives a truck for a living, expect much else?

theken
02-15-2015, 06:53 PM
It was a joke. I have had Ethiopian food and it is good. Relax. And Trevor you came from the same place, spraying water takes so much more skill

trevh
02-15-2015, 08:56 PM
It was a joke. I have had Ethiopian food and it is good. Relax. And Trevor you came from the same place, spraying water takes so much more skill
Your joke was a bit out of line and not required. I wouldn't expect much more from your analogy, well done kid! :thumbsup:

theken
02-16-2015, 12:21 AM
It's not out of line, out of line is what Arash, modelexis and other misc beyonders are, mentioning a well know fact of Ethiopians is not out of line. When 70% of a country doesn't have access to clean wAter or food it's not a stereotype its a fact..and you generalizing truck drivers when you were one is fucking retarded. I would expect more from you considering you started as a nothing, same as me, but I guess you having a "real" job makes you so much better. Better yet, I am not a truck driver since you think you know me so well, I haven't drove a truck in almost a year, and I got offered a supervisor position in a different country, but since I'm just a dumb truck driver I guess you know everything. Check your facts and then when you are done checking your facts fuck yourself and learn to take a joke. (Especially ehen they don't affect you) Pretty sure I have heard many of your uncalled for comments when we were together, think you're better than me. Smh

89s1
02-17-2015, 04:31 PM
When you take that sweet job in the new country can you make a clean break from beyond? That way I won't have to see classless, tasteless posts like that coming from you in the future.

kthx.

ExtraSlow
02-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Holy shit guys. Settle down.

01RedDX
02-17-2015, 05:49 PM

oogaboogie
02-17-2015, 05:51 PM
+1 for Fassil

Having lived in Ethiopia for 7 years I find that the majority of Fassil's food tasted pretty good.

The only reason i'd go to Marathon is their proximity and lunch buffet.
I tried Blue Nile and it was disappointing.
Need to try Ibex again... I think its Eritrean food tho.

I think it's in Ethiopian people's nature to take their time in doing things (building anything took years and years to finish). Sometimes it can take up to an hour to get your food. My suggestion is to call them an hour ahead of time and order your food.

I usually order:
Mixed Vege combo (good combo of vegetarian stuff), lamb/beef Tibs (pan fried lamb/beef pieces), doro wot (hot chicken curry) and 4-5 injeras.

This is enough for about 4-5 people.

theken
02-21-2015, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by 89s1
When you take that sweet job in the new country can you make a clean break from beyond? That way I won't have to see classless, tasteless posts like that coming from you in the future.

kthx. You are seriously that butt hurt over a simple joke? You should probably not be on beyond if that gets your asshole puckered. And no I will probably never leave Beyond since I have been on here for 12 years, I think i am here to stay.

Feruk
02-24-2015, 08:59 AM
I've only been to Marathon. Will never eat Ethiopian again. I don't get the appeal. A gross soggy fatty pancake thing that you throw your food on top of and treat like a plate... We tried a whole bunch of the curries or whatever the dishes are called as well. They were OK, but if you guys hadn't flamed "theken" out so bad, I'd be making a joke about the Ethiopians in that pic starving because their food sucks so much that they don't wanna eat it.

cancer man
02-28-2015, 07:20 AM
It took me a week to decide on my review of Fassil.
Do not go their if your expecting service,slow as hell.
Order all your food and drinks at once because they dont come back.
Ordered the fish and other foods and 40 minutes later when the food came out he said..We did not have fish so i gave lamb instead..you cannot argue with this guy because like my wife said he has good karma.
Anyways it didn't make any difference because all the food tasted the same.
What choked my wife was they never came back to ask you if you would like coffee or dessert.
(but then again he has good karma)
It took another 30 minutes to pay the bill because they were having their family dinner.
So basically dinner for 6.
3 beer, 3 pops and i have no idea what i ate.
total was 131.00 including tip which i have no idea why i tipped.
My son was happy and so was the girlfriend.

If you go on a first date, this place is a 10 out of 10,it will make or break your relationship.
my overall experience if it wasn't the fact it was winter..i would get a shovel and dig up garden worms put chilli powder and bbq them and it would taste the same.
Positive note their African beer tastes better than bud.

This is a place you can rant about for 2 pages.
I think everybody needs to experience what i can't finish.

nj2Type-S
02-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by cancer man
Ordered the fish and other foods and 40 minutes later when the food came out he said..We did not have fish so i gave lamb instead..

i would've just gotten up and left. good on you for staying.