02-14-2015, 03:04 AM
All season tires brah

schocker
02-14-2015, 10:13 AM
Post to youtube that you are not capable of driving, hilarious :rofl:

revelations
02-14-2015, 10:55 AM
All seasons?

Surprised how easily that street light came down but its probably a safety feature.

eglove
02-14-2015, 10:55 AM
Red deer is so bad for ice in that spot and a little further north going northbound. I always drive like a bitch and slow down in the winter there

BensonTT
02-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Thats ok, Thats ok.. :rofl:

Kijho
02-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Was he telling a little kid in the back "that's okay"? Man, I'd be scared as f*ck seeing that pole come down, damn! Good thing he's okay could have been a lot worse.

rage2
02-14-2015, 12:19 PM
I drove by that exact spot probably 10 mins before that on my way to Stony Plain that morning. I cruised through at 125 no probs. For sure it's his tires being rock solid frozen in -10C temps.

CanmoreOrLess
02-14-2015, 12:24 PM
How you guys drive without winter tires I'll never understand fully but I do appreciate a good dash cam when the shit hits the fan which it will do when you've brought the wrong tires to a rodeo.

rage2
02-14-2015, 12:34 PM
There's an argument for using all seasons in the city. But at highway speeds? That's a deathwish, especially when it drops below freezing.

blairtruck
02-14-2015, 12:40 PM
whats the argument in the city? roads are better maintained?
i have winter tires. had to drive grandmas car last week with all seasons. didn't notice a real difference. roads were nice.

rage2
02-14-2015, 12:51 PM
You can get away with going 60 in the city on a cold day.

Tik-Tok
02-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck
whats the argument in the city? roads are better maintained?
i have winter tires. had to drive grandmas car last week with all seasons. didn't notice a real difference. roads were nice.

That's exactly why, the roads were nice. The problem comes when the roads are either covered in 3" of snow, or sheer ice, or both, lol.

You don't NEED winters here, but they're like having A/C in your house in the summer, you need that here either, but it's definitely a nice luxury.

spikerS
02-14-2015, 01:27 PM
I can see both sides of the argument.

I never once had winter tires until a few years back on my Dodge Ram. Before that, never once, nor did my parents. We never had any issues. We adjusted our driving habits, drove a bit slower, left more room, etc.

We never came across a situation on all seasons where having winter tires would have made the difference.

I am not arguing if winter tires are superior in the winter or not, I am just saying that in Alberta, with our constant chinooks, sometimes it can be hard to justify the costs of a second set of tires.

The argument can be made that people get used to the extra traction they get with winters, and assume they can drive as normal, and become reckless and cause accidents. It is a false confidence, kinda like putting on a helmet and thinking that it will protect you as you have a friend swing a baseball bat at your head. Your head will be fine, but you will still die from a broken neck...

syscal
02-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Everyone should have winter tires. There would be no accidents ever!

Cos
02-14-2015, 02:25 PM

rage2
02-14-2015, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Intended design, called a break away base. It is either an IEEE standard or an IESNA standard. Can't remember anymore, been a few years. It is actually based on the road speed, slow speed roads don't break away as the standard falling is more of a safety concern.
I slid sideways into one on 6th Ave downtown where it turns left/right into Bow trail 20 years ago. That thing barely had a dent in it. Meanwhile, my Integra was destroyed. The wheel, brakes, and suspension rolled down the 14th street turnoff lane lol.

Cos
02-14-2015, 02:36 PM

16hypen3sp
02-14-2015, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by eglove
Red deer is so bad for ice in that spot and a little further north going northbound. I always drive like a bitch and slow down in the winter there

I know exactly which spot northbound you are talking about. I had a little scare there last Monday but it was pretty minor. Easily recoverable. Same couldn't be said for a guy that was a minute ahead of me. He took the ditch at speed.

Originally posted by Cos

Intended design, called a break away base. It is either an IEEE standard or an IESNA standard. Can't remember anymore, been a few years. It is actually based on the road speed, slow speed roads don't break away as the standard falling is more of a safety concern.

Myself and a coworker thought there were shear pins in the base or something of the sort. Good to know.

D. Dub
02-14-2015, 06:06 PM
https://ama.ab.ca/auto-and-driving/driver-education/

:D

firebane
02-14-2015, 06:09 PM
All seaons or winter tires.. Either or doesn't account for driving too fast for those conditions. Just cause as someone said you can do 125 doesn't mean you shouldn't be.

Blowing snow on the highways and those conditions .. its going to be slipper.

Sugarphreak
02-14-2015, 10:15 PM

Sentry
02-15-2015, 07:18 AM
Yeah he did.

And especially in a FWD car where recovery from something like that just takes a little throttle application. Easier with a manual trans of course because you have to catch it early and can't be waiting for a shitty Chrysler auto trans to kick down.

MGCM
02-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by rage2
There's an argument for using all seasons in the city.

No........there's not sir, Calgary inside the city gets ample black ice EVERY WINTER. Use all season tires during black ice and they will spit you out the other side of the corner into a ditch, or worse, into oncoming traffic. I have witnessed that twice this winter so far and let me tell you its not a comforting feeling watching another vehicle slide across the ditch towards you in an uncontrolled slide/spin.

CanmoreOrLess
02-15-2015, 03:58 PM
You can't argue with physics, cheap people, or bad drivers. No point, they only dig further in. I only wish they would cover their damages fully and think about the child in the back seat as you justify it all as being OK.

I do some idiotic things, twice now I've watched my garage door hit the front and rear bumper of my car. My wife is not much better, she watched it with a bowl of popcorn and right after said "I thought it was going to hit". Proud like she had a bet on it or something. Thank God we have winter tires.

Unknown303
02-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Driving slow is for women.

Winter driving with MTs is for men. Check your sacks guys.

http://pixdaus.com/files/items/pics/3/28/26328_8a2e59acc55a3cf8c2004e3969f74e9c_mdsq.jpg

FixedGear
02-15-2015, 11:25 PM
Yes snow tires are better, but they aren't necessary. I drove for over a decade on all seasons, grew up in the Midwest where we get a million feet of snow and never had them, nor did my parents or anyone I knew for that matter. I've never once had an accident in the snow.

For the records though, yes I use snow tires now and will get some when I move back somewhere that gets snow. :D

ipeefreely
02-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I slid sideways into one on 6th Ave downtown where it turns left/right into Bow trail 20 years ago. That thing barely had a dent in it. Meanwhile, my Integra was destroyed. The wheel, brakes, and suspension rolled down the 14th street turnoff lane lol.
I'm sure this car hit this pole at a pretty good clip... when I drove past the next day it barely had a scratch! :nut: :rofl:

8tB4F6I2T-I

jaylo
02-17-2015, 12:25 PM
I was doing over 125km/h on my brand new Blizzaks DMV1 without any issues over the weekend

Big difference between the OEM all-seasons vs the Blizzaks, safety first and don't cheap out on tires!

EM2FTL
02-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by jaylo
I was doing over 125km/h on my brand new Blizzaks DMV1 without any issues over the weekend

Big difference between the OEM all-seasons vs the Blizzaks, safety first and don't cheap out on tires!

Disagree. I'm running 225/45/17 Wal-Mart chinese winter tires on my RX-8 (less than $100 per tire) and recently did 3,700 kms through the BC interior with no issues, through some very heavy snowfalls. Any winter tire > any all-season - blizzaks are great, but definitely not required.

eglove
02-17-2015, 12:40 PM
Disagree as well, been on some cheap winterclaw extremegrips for 2 winters now. I've had zero issues anywhere in the winter with them

sneek
02-17-2015, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by EM2FTL

Disagree. I'm running 225/45/17 Wal-Mart chinese winter tires on my RX-8 (less than $100 per tire) and recently did 3,700 kms through the BC interior with no issues, through some very heavy snowfalls. Any winter tire > any all-season - blizzaks are great, but definitely not required.

I rented a car with some "Westlake" winter tires once. I am betting it is on par or worse than all seasons. I was all over the road in that car in the dry, wet and in the snow. :rofl:

revelations
02-17-2015, 01:35 PM
It depends on the definition of "winter" tires. Simply having a snow flake on them doesent automatically make a tire superior in the winters than good A/S or A/W tires.

My dad used to by the cheapest crap around and his "winter" tires would make almost ZERO difference - in some cases WORSE.

Now, I look specifically for tires that are suitable for studding and have sipes everywhere. We dont deal with slush weather very much here so not all winter tires are optimal for our city conditions (packed snow, ice rink intersections).

HiTempguy1
02-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by EM2FTL

Hell freezing over.

I completely agree. ANY "winter" tire is better than an all season.

To the other poster, a "snowflake" designation does not a winter tire make.

I also bought cheap clearance chinese winter tires from Walmart, and I am extremely impressed with them for $18 each :rofl:

Of course, a cheap studded winter tire is usually just as good as the most expensive non-studded tire (on ice). As an added bonus, studded tires are typically more snow-orientated, so you get the best of both worlds.

HiTempguy1
02-17-2015, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Has nothing to do with winter tires... and everything to do with somebody who does't know how to react when they start to slide. It wasn't even that bad, he practically induced the loss of control all by himself.

I also agree with this. Awful reaction to the issue at hand.

EM2FTL
02-17-2015, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Hell freezing over.

I completely agree. ANY "winter" tire is better than an all season.

To the other poster, a "snowflake" designation does not a winter tire make.

I also bought cheap clearance chinese winter tires from Walmart, and I am extremely impressed with them for $18 each :rofl:

Of course, a cheap studded winter tire is usually just as good as the most expensive non-studded tire (on ice). As an added bonus, studded tires are typically more snow-orientated, so you get the best of both worlds.

$18.. damn, I thought I got a good deal. Were they the 'Rovello' brand?

x2 on the snowflake thing - I thought that just means they can handle M+S?. I don't know if we're talking about the same class of tires (was there any siping on these examples?), because I don't know how you get any shittier than a bottom of the barrel Wal-mart tire and they're just fine in my experience.